PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 7 GotW: Smithville Vs. Rockdale

jrhernandez7
10-10-2011, 12:23 PM
well it's put up or shut up time for Smithville. Smithville can help their playoff case by upending Rockdale who always has Smithville number regardless records and Rockdale could throw this race wide open with a win. Rockdale has had a tougher schedule an will be looking for redemption in the biggest way against smithville after last weeks game. Smithville has the longest tenured coach in the district an should be in the running for coach of the year after going 0-10 last year an now jumping out to 5-0. coach Wiley is also doing it with a cast of new faces, a strong junior class who he left on j.v to develop an get taste of winning as it could of been very easy to bring them up an mess them up mentally. and will be a force in coming years. I see this game being a slug fest an being won in the 4th.

Old Tiger
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Smithville hasn't beat Rockdale since 1990.

jrhernandez7
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
and smithville hasn't started 5-0 since 1971 this years team is breaking records an I know would love to add that to the accomplishments. This game is not going be easy for who ever wins and fully expect a 4qt sloberknocker.

hookandladder
10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
well it's put up or shut up time for Smithville. Smithville can help their playoff case by upending Rockdale who always has Smithville number regardless records and Rockdale could throw this race wide open with a win. Rockdale has had a tougher schedule an will be looking for redemption in the biggest way against smithville after last weeks game. Smithville has the longest tenured coach in the district an should be in the running for coach of the year after going 0-10 last year an now jumping out to 5-0. coach Wiley is also doing it with a cast of new faces, a strong junior class who he left on j.v to develop an get taste of winning as it could of been very easy to bring them up an mess them up mentally. and will be a force in coming years. I see this game being a slug fest an being won in the 4th.

There were a number of Junior on this years team that played Varsity last year as sophomores. Quitta, HelCamp, and a number of others for sure, I know they played against us because my son knows them well. We played 5 sophomores on Varsity last year also, there are that many more now juniors starting on Varsity with about 5 sophomores on Varsity this year. So both teams are fairly young this year.This game will go a long way in determining the 3rd spot, whoever wins has the inside track. With Rockdale at home , I will take them by 3. Could go either way.

Pudlugger
10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Rockdale by 13

trojandad
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
well i know rockdale always plays hard, and i really love the respect they pay other teams at the end, but if smithville doesnt beat rockdale by AT LEAST a couple of scores they are prolly gonna be a "one and done" team come playoff time, right? isnt this gonna be one of those telling games? tell me if im wrong....

jrhernandez7
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
There were a number of Junior on this years team that played Varsity last year as sophomores. Quitta, HelCamp, and a number of others for sure, I know they played against us because my son knows them well. We played 5 sophomores on Varsity last year also, there are that many more now juniors starting on Varsity with about 5 sophomores on Varsity this year. So both teams are fairly young this year.This game will go a long way in determining the 3rd spot, whoever wins has the inside track. With Rockdale at home , I will take them by 3. Could go either way.
those are some of them but others are steping up big time an can be seen in the play at RB as we throw a stable of hard runners at the opposition who none of those are the one's hook mentioned led by the jr. starter an has 3 complementary backs some with power an some with speed behind him that all have a nose for the endzone. if the tigers are able to move the ball on the ground an play swarming D like they showed the tigers can hang with anybody.

Bull's-eye
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Good post Jrhernadez7, Smithville can finally show if they are the real deal. IMO, they had a bad game against Columbus & they will be out to prove that they have turned the corner. Good luck to Smithville!

Coach BS
10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Good post Jrhernadez7, Smithville can finally show if they are the real deal. IMO, they had a bad game against Columbus & they will be out to prove that they have turned the corner. Good luck to Smithville!This is funny, so if Smithville beats a Rockdale a team that is way down probably the worst team they have fielded in 8-10 years then Smithville would be the real deal?? If smithville doesnt win by 14-21 pts then its gonna be 1 &done if they even make the playoffs. So what does it mean if Rockdale wins?? Real Deal?

jrhernandez7
10-10-2011, 06:05 PM
This is funny, so if Smithville beats a Rockdale a team that is way down probably the worst team they have fielded in 8-10 years then Smithville would be the real deal?? If smithville doesnt win by 14-21 pts then its gonna be 1 &done if they even make the playoffs. So what does it mean if Rockdale wins?? Real Deal?

All Smithville has to do is just win by 1pt! They dont have to worry about the playoffs, dont have to worry about giddings, Navasota or LG, and they dont have to worry if ppl think they are for real or not. All smithville has to worrie about is Rockdale. Just one week at a time, one practice at a time. and no Smithville has not proven itself yet! and i dont know if they are going to, but Smithville is going into every game with the mind set as underdogs and no respect and they are thriving off it. This is a bunch of hard working, never say never kids, that has so far beating every challange that has been put in front of them and right now they have there sights on Rockdale.

Coach BS
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
There are 2 post on here that i am refering to. chill jr But they do need to worry about the playoffs cause if they lose fri gonna make it real tough to get in. Oh wait you probably don't understand the playoff system being from smithville:stirpot:

jrhernandez7
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
There are 2 post on here that i am refering to. chill jr But they do need to worry about the playoffs cause if they lose fri gonna make it real tough to get in. Oh wait you probably don't understand the playoff system being from smithville:stirpot:

lol, ohh im chill. Just a little over anxious for this game as you can tell, Sure has been a long time since smithville has been in the playoff's and have been close before without getting in. 13yrs to be exact. An if they plan on it this game is a must win, I realy dont know anything about Rockdale other than there scores but this game is going to tell me and the district alot about Smithville. I just hope they dont dissapoint.

duckhunter
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
If smithville doesnt win by 14-21 pts then its gonna be 1 &done if they even make the playoffs. So what does it mean if Rockdale wins?? Real Deal?

It doesn't matter by how many any team wins by. Ask Giddings thats. I think all agree that 8 outa 10 times if they played the game against La Grange again they would win by 14+.....a win is a win as a win is a win.....winners keep playing and the losers dont. Thats all that matters. Period.....with that being said I expect Smithville to come out ready to keep the train rolling. like hernandez said their stable of running backs has been a huge factor in their success. Rockdale must account for a handful of players on the offensive side of the ball. I expect Smithville to keep turning heads as district play continues

Yoe_09
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Smithville
26-Aug Lexington W 27-21
02-Sep @Wharton W 43-12
09-Sep Wimberley CANCELLED
16-Sep Needville W 69-0
30-Sep Columbus W 23-17
07-Oct Caldwell* W 46-7

Rockdale
26-Aug Abilene Wylie L 35-14
02-Sep @Salado W 51-42
09-Sep Cameron Yoe W 11-10
16-Sep @Liberty Hill L 27-20
23-Sep Madisonville W 13-10
07-Oct @Navasota* L 53-14

Thoughts on this one?

Manso/V8
10-10-2011, 10:41 PM
well i know rockdale always plays hard, and i really love the respect they pay other teams at the end, but if smithville doesnt beat rockdale by AT LEAST a couple of scores they are prolly gonna be a "one and done" team come playoff time, right? isnt this gonna be one of those telling games? tell me if im wrong....

After such a long absence, making the playoffs would be a big deal for the fine folks in Smithville......if my math is correct, 50% of the teams that make the playoffs don't advance, or as you say are "one and done"......and a lot of that depends on who you face in the first round, so maybe the term "one and done" is kind of a shot below the belt. Pay attention trojandad, this will be one of those telling games. If the soothsayers are correct, this game will have big implications on who takes the third spot in D23 and likely play Bellville in the first round. The winner of that game will probably face your yet untested 2011 Trojans. I won't be so bold as to predict what team will be facing the Trojans in round two, but I can say with confidence that they will be a lot better than the Columbus team last year. I hope no one around Coldspring uttered "two and bbq" with a wry grin after the Columbus game.

I don't know much about Rockdale. I do know Smithville has some aggressive, hard hitting kids in their junior class that know how to fight, claw, and win....so, I think Smithville wins this one. It doesn't really matter if they win by 20 points or 1 point. In district, wins are all that matters unless you are worried about style points, rankings, or need a confidence boost. One could argue that a series of 1 point wins, battle tests a team and helps prepare for them for the playoffs. Afterall, things do change once the playoffs begin.

I do think Smithville will make the playoffs in the first or second D2 spot. I don't have a solid opinion beyond that.

Tejastrue
10-10-2011, 11:11 PM
After such a long absence, making the playoffs would be a big deal for the fine folks in Smithville......if my math is correct, 50% of the teams that make the playoffs don't advance, or as you say are "one and done"......and a lot of that depends on who you face in the first round, so maybe the term "one and done" is kind of a shot below the belt. Pay attention trojandad, this will be one of those telling games. If the soothsayers are correct, this game will have big implications on who takes the third spot in D23 and likely play Bellville in the first round. The winner of that game will probably face your yet untested 2011 Trojans. I won't be so bold as to predict what team will be facing the Trojans in round two, but I can say with confidence that they will be a lot better than the Columbus team last year. I hope no one around Coldspring uttered "two and bbq" with a wry grin after the Columbus game.

I don't know much about Rockdale. I do know Smithville has some aggressive, hard hitting kids in their junior class that know how to fight, claw, and win....so, I think Smithville wins this one. It doesn't really matter if they win by 20 points or 1 point. In district, wins are all that matters unless you are worried about style points, rankings, or need a confidence boost. One could argue that a series of 1 point wins, battle tests a team and helps prepare for them for the playoffs. Afterall, things do change once the playoffs begin.

I do think Smithville will make the playoffs in the first or second D2 spot. I don't have a solid opinion beyond that.

Pardon me Senor Manso/V8 in advance for butting in....

FYI: That Trojan team is a basically the same one that played for the SC last year....just might be a little better... they've been tested... I guess you could still call it a "work in progress" don't you think Trojandad???

BaseballUmp
10-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Hate to seem rude and this probably is even to bring up, but had Smithville played Wimberley, they probably would have gotten smashed and they haven't really faced anyone tough aside from a 2A Lexington team that is slightly down from last year

Lexington 4-2
Wharton 2-5
Needville 0-7
Columbus 2-5
Caldwell 1-5

Combined record of 9-24

trojandad
10-11-2011, 07:47 AM

sounds like you have PLENTY of opinions beyond that, but thats ok, me and my untested trojans will look forward to reposting some of your remarks for you if your fortunate enough to be in the lucky 50%...(had no idea 50% of the teams lost in the first round, thanks for the math lesson)...

nobody was hitting below the belt, goofball, were all trying to get a grip on how good they might be since their competition might be the only one inferior to what we've played, except for crockett....nobody said smithville is lousy, i said a 40 pt win over rockdale would speak louder than a 1 pt win, if you dont think that your the only one in the room that doesnt....

nobody from this end is rooting against smithville, i admire all theyre doing with all the adversity theyve been thru, weve prayed for them thru all those terrible times, but, trust me, when i decide to badmouth your team it wont be "a shot below the belt", it will be loud and clear and even people like you will understand it....bozo...

and ive been on here saying several times, if you had been paying attention, that i didnt believe columbus made their best showing against us, nor athens, nor wimberley, nor bridge city...i dont know where you got this "two and bbq" crap, ive never heard that saying in my life, if anyone ever said that here i missed it...i personally was too concerned with the columbus player they were carrying away by ambulance after the game in order to worry about smart aleck remarks, you might be the expert in that field....not that i need validating that to someone with your arrogance level...

im gonna just believe most people in smithville are shaking their head reading your post, im gonna believe the best...as for you, i wont have to state "listen up, manso/4 cylinder" when your the next team we play.....

trojandad
10-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Hate to seem rude and this probably is even to bring up, but had Smithville played Wimberley, they probably would have gotten smashed and they haven't really faced anyone tough aside from a 2A Lexington team that is slightly down from last year

Lexington 4-2
Wharton 2-5
Needville 0-7
Columbus 2-5
Caldwell 1-5

Combined record of 9-24

its like my grandfater used to say, the blind will never see, no metter how big of a flashlight you give them".....

garciap77
10-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Smithville by 21!

Manso/V8
10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
sounds like you have PLENTY of opinions beyond that, but thats ok, me and my untested trojans will look forward to reposting some of your remarks for you if your fortunate enough to be in the lucky 50%...(had no idea 50% of the teams lost in the first round, thanks for the math lesson)...

nobody was hitting below the belt, goofball, were all trying to get a grip on how good they might be since their competition might be the only one inferior to what we've played, except for crockett....nobody said smithville is lousy, i said a 40 pt win over rockdale would speak louder than a 1 pt win, if you dont think that your the only one in the room that doesnt....

nobody from this end is rooting against smithville, i admire all theyre doing with all the adversity theyve been thru, weve prayed for them thru all those terrible times, but, trust me, when i decide to badmouth your team it wont be "a shot below the belt", it will be loud and clear and even people like you will understand it....bozo...

and ive been on here saying several times, if you had been paying attention, that i didnt believe columbus made their best showing against us, nor athens, nor wimberley, nor bridge city...i dont know where you got this "two and bbq" crap, ive never heard that saying in my life, if anyone ever said that here i missed it...i personally was too concerned with the columbus player they were carrying away by ambulance after the game in order to worry about smart aleck remarks, you might be the expert in that field....not that i need validating that to someone with your arrogance level...

im gonna just believe most people in smithville are shaking their head reading your post, im gonna believe the best...as for you, i wont have to state "listen up, manso/4 cylinder" when your the next team we play.....

goofball? bozo? lighten up. don't take yourself so seriously. nothing in my post was meant to offend you or anyone else. sorry if i did. i do not have any opinions beyond round one, evidently you do and it must be hard holding it back. i am just happy we have some wins this year and a good shot to make the playoffs after a very painful 2-8 season.....if we did have the honor to face your Trojans it is likely we would have a pretty short run, i would support our boys and wouldn't throw in the towel, but i understand reality. around youth sports, and hs football is a youth sport, i have always disliked the phrase "one and done", you used it, not me....."two and bbq" is in the same category, one i've heard before and cringed. i have seen several posts where you state that your team is untested and many teams on your schedule are having down years, that happens, to wonder if a 5-0 Smithville is inferior to all the teams you have faced save Crockett, frankly is a shot.......i'm not from Smithville, but i am shaking my head over that one. the four cylinder thing, just glad you think i'm at least half the man that you are. please pray for me, i will be praying for you.

trojandad
10-11-2011, 09:22 AM
goofball? bozo? lighten up. don't take yourself so seriously. nothing in my post was meant to offend you or anyone else. sorry if i did. i do not have any opinions beyond round one, evidently you do and it must be hard holding it back. i am just happy we have some wins this year and a good shot to make the playoffs after a very painful 2-8 season.....if we did have the honor to face your Trojans it is likely we would have a pretty short run, i would support our boys and wouldn't throw in the towel, but i understand reality. around youth sports, and hs football is a youth sport, i have always disliked the phrase "one and done", you used it, not me....."two and bbq" is in the same category, one i've heard before and cringed. i have seen several posts where you state that your team is untested and many teams on your schedule are having down years, that happens, to wonder if a 5-0 Smithville is inferior to all the teams you have faced save Crockett, frankly is a shot.......i'm not from Smithville, but i am shaking my head over that one. the four cylinder thing, just glad you think i'm at least half the man that you are. please pray for me, i will be praying for you.

you cant say "hope your not offended" and yet keep them coming....nobody said your team was "one and done", i said the same thing others have in other ways, ie posting your opponents records....were all just trying to figure out how good our opponents are...but i see thats lost on you...

ive said on other posts i dont know how untested we are, that crockett and orangefield have made some decent showings since our games with them...

if you believe something is a shot, i guess your just gonna have to think that, heck believe its all a shot, maybe someday ill give a real shot and then youll see the difference...

and i dont speak flippantly about prayer, ive needed it too many times in my life to do so, you go ahead with that one...and yes, thanks for the confirmation of my well placed adjectives....you prolly are half the man, tho that, again, was something you read that wasnt said.....heres your flashlight....

duckhunter
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
merge threads?

Bull's-eye
10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
This is funny, so if Smithville beats a Rockdale a team that is way down probably the worst team they have fielded in 8-10 years then Smithville would be the real deal?? If smithville doesnt win by 14-21 pts then its gonna be 1 &done if they even make the playoffs. So what does it mean if Rockdale wins?? Real Deal?

Even though Rockdale is a little down, they are probably better than any team that Smithville has played. Rockdale did play a close game with Liberty Hill, but lost by a wide margin to a very good Navasota team. Smithville's best opponent has been Columbus, a team that lost 41-27 to a good Gonzales team, but got destroyed by Bellville. I know it doesn't matter how much they win by, but a convincing victory will give us a much better gage on whether they have become a team that will contend for the playoffs.

jrhernandez7
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Lexington 4-2
Wharton 2-5
Needville 0-7
Columbus 2-5
Caldwell 1-5

Combined record of 9-24
other than the first game against Lexington then ranked in 2a. an Columbus with smithville coming off a 2 week layoff an missing a whole week of practice smithville has throttled their opponents and shown they are head an shoulder above the competition. now that they are on a normal week to week routine I like to think the youth of the tigers are just starting to really click and gell as a team witch should be scary for the rest of the district.

hookandladder
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM
other than the first game against Lexington then ranked in 2a. an Columbus with smithville coming off a 2 week layoff an missing a whole week of practice smithville has throttled their opponents and shown they are head an shoulder above the competition. now that they are on a normal week to week routine I like to think the youth of the tigers are just starting to really click and gell as a team witch should be scary for the rest of the district.

You have done what most decent 3A teams would do against those teams, now comes the real schedule where you have to prove you have what it takes to make the playoffs. Speaking of throttling your opponents this year, we throttled you guys last year and still ended up at home for the playoffs. It's like the old saying , Act like you been there before. Take it in stride.

HEMOTOXIC
10-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Smithville Tigers at Rockdale Tigers

Records: Smithville 5-0 (1-0 in 23-3A); Rockdale 3-3 (0-1 in 23-3A)

Last year: Rockdale 48, Smithville 7

Last week: Smithville 46, Caldwell 7; Navasota 53, Rockdale 14

Radio: 98.5 FM KRXT

Harris Ratings pick: Smithville by 8 points

Next: Giddings at Smithville; Rockdale at La Grange

gameface
10-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Smithville by 7 @ Rockdale. Validation time for orange and black!

StangEm
10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
agreed

SHSBulldog00
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Smithville hasn't beat Rockdale since 1990.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/248/timeforachange780389bmp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/timeforachange780389bmp.jpg/)

buff4ever
10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
This is practically a must win for smithville, but win validates nothing yet. Smithville starting with caldwell and rockdale is practically the opposite of la grange starting with giddings and navasota. Unless smithville surprises me between now and the last week, that last week will tell the tale of the 3rd place spot.

Old Tiger
10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
GOTW? must be a slow week for region III

Buff42
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
and smithville hasn't started 5-0 since 1971 this years team is breaking records an I know would love to add that to the accomplishments. This game is not going be easy for who ever wins and fully expect a 4qt sloberknocker.

Spell check is your friend.

Buff42
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Lexington 4-2
Wharton 2-5
Needville 0-7
Columbus 2-5
Caldwell 1-5

Combined record of 9-24

Lexington is slightly down. And the Pope is slightly Catholic.

Buff42
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Three things:

1. This is too close to call
2. The winner of this game gets the third playoff berth
3. There is no 3, that is all

Manso/V8
10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Three things:

1. This is too close to call
2. The winner of this game gets the third playoff berth
3. There is no 3, that is all

I understand where you are coming from, but don't totally agree with point 1 and point 2.
I fully agree with point 3.

jrhernandez7
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
does anybody have any insight on what Rockdale's offensive scheme is?? are they a spread team? run oriented or balance??

hookandladder
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
does anybody have any insight on what Rockdale's offensive scheme is?? are they a spread team? run oriented or balance??

Watch the Navasota- Rockdale game on Hudl last night, Rockdale ran the ball out of the spread more then what I thought they would. They did have some sucess runing the ball however the QB has thrown for close to a 1000 yards this year.

87 TIGER
10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Lexington is slightly down. And the Pope is slightly Catholic.I'm pretty good friends with a coach in Lexington and something is going on, they have talent but from what was expected out of this years team i would say yes they are down. They lost to a horrible rosebud team. Lexington definately not a power right now. If they lose to Thorndale they will not even make the playoffs.

87 TIGER
10-12-2011, 03:31 PM
does anybody have any insight on what Rockdale's offensive scheme is?? are they a spread team? run oriented or balance??More of a what the defense will give us kind of offense, agaimst Madisonville and Navasota we ran nearly 50 attemps and against Cameron and Salado we aired it out 50 times.

hookandladder
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
More of a what the defense will give us kind of offense, agaimst Madisonville and Navasota we ran nearly 50 attemps and against Cameron and Salado we aired it out 50 times.

I noticed that last night watching the game, I was surprised you guys were running the ball that much. Same with us against Giddings, we threw it 32 times almost as much as we have thrown it all year and we doubled are point total in one game for the year. Go figuire.

jrhernandez7
10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
coach Wiley thoughts via a quote in the smithville times : "Rockdale is the land of the giants, they have big an fast kids. its hard to make believers until we start beating teams we aren't suppose to like rockdale. we have to beat team's that came in here and beat up on us last year. "
very well said an good to know his mindset going into this game.

Manso/V8
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
coach Wiley thoughts via a quote in the smithville times : "Rockdale is the land of the giants, they have big an fast kids. its hard to make believers until we start beating teams we aren't suppose to like rockdale. we have to beat team's that came in here and beat up on us last year. "
very well said an good to know his mindset going into this game.

If think Smithville was in our district before the last realignment. The current Bellville kids have a lot of respect for Smithville because of some hard fought football and basketball games and the Tigers hung some losses on them during their junior high and freshman years. So I believe them when they say "Oh yeah, Smithville's good". Yall are off to a great start this year.......I saw that you are tied for 15th in AP poll this week along with several other schools, not that polls are the end all, but congratulations on getting noticed! You said that yall haven't been to the playoffs ince 1998, which was kind of a surprise. What would you attribute that to? I have met some teachers and coaches from Smithville and they have said that yall have great kids. Has there not been a consistent interest with athletes sticking with football over the years?

jrhernandez7
10-13-2011, 09:28 AM
yes Smithville has not made the playoffs since 98 and speaking of bellville a young an now head coach at bellville coach Rowe was on that very talented coaching staff in 98. I think you can credit the years of under achievement on the football field to confidence and all mental. smithville has athletes and our boys basketball team shows that who is a playoff regular. and I think the run our baseball team made last year gave this team the shot of momentum it needed and is carrying over to football. coach Wiley is the longest tenured coach in the district an has been with these kids from the start in 7th. he knows what he has an is putting hid kids in the best position for success. our pee-wee program can also be credited as it is fairly young an now offers kids a chance to play from primary. so the kids are getting to Jr. high with years of experience under there belt witch has not always been the case.

hollywood
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Smithville has made their mark on Hollywood and now is on a roll. I hope they continue the momentum. Got to go with a town where Hope Floats!

Bull's-eye
10-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Got to go with a town where Hope Floats!

Great line! Maybe Birdee will attend the game.

jrhernandez7
10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
lol smithville is becoming little Hollywood. the "tree of life" hits theaters today an has Brad pit, Sean pen an a array of big time actors an was mostly filmed in smithville. the new Dodge and Russell athletic commercial where shot in town an are seen cost to cost. Many independent films have also been made here. great things going on in little ole smithville an can be credited to " hope floats " being filmed here.

Mojado
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
This will be a game of "how you start" not "how you finish". IMO... Kids are smart and know what they're up against. Tigers know it's meat grinder time. Nothing but good teams rest of the way. If they start hot, confidence will kick in for the Tigers and make for a great game. If Rockdale comes out and hits them in the mouth, the opposite could happen. I've been I'n games like this before, and as a coach, your anxiety level is at an all time high on both sides. I agree that this is a must win for Smithville, for confidence sake. This game is to close to call, but they will still beat LaGrange...lol... Good luck to both teams!

Bull's-eye
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
On our last visit to Smithville, we went by the house from Hope Floats. We also ate at the Pockets Grille, the waitress mentioned something about Brad Pit ordering a pizza to go. Doesn't Sandra Bullock have a house in the area? Tell her to PM me! LOL

jrhernandez7
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
On our last visit to Smithville, we went by the house from Hope Floats. We also ate at the Pockets Grille, the waitress mentioned something about Brad Pit ordering a pizza to go. Doesn't Sandra Bullock have a house in the area? Tell her to PM me! LOL

lol her house is in lakeway out in Austin but still frequently visits town. when a production is being filmed you just never know who you may bump into. last year Dennis quade an his "band " performed for the town with 100% of procedes going to our blue Santa program. just never know who might walk in a adult beverage establishment. I've seen Jack black at a local bar when the independent film "doonby " was shot here. an heard stories of many others drinking a few with the locals.

buff4ever
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Still thinking that Smithville wins this game, and keeps hopes alive.

87 TIGER
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
very well said an good to know his mindset going into this game.Uh we are not big or fast maybe he is looking at last years tape.And I think Smithville is favored, so we are a team you are supposed to beat.

hollywood
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
lol her house is in lakeway out in Austin but still frequently visits town. when a production is being filmed you just never know who you may bump into. last year Dennis quade an his "band " performed for the town with 100% of procedes going to our blue Santa program. just never know who might walk in a adult beverage establishment. I've seen Jack black at a local bar when the independent film "doonby " was shot here. an heard stories of many others drinking a few with the locals.

Very cool. I'll need drop in the next time I'm in Austin.

duckhunter
10-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I heard this game is also Homecoming for Rockdale? Sets the stage even higher for them wanting to not get it spoiled by the Smithville Tigers. The house will be a rocking tonight. I got the Tigers winning this game ;)

hookandladder
10-14-2011, 08:39 AM

Read the Statesman today, It states Coach Wiley made a gutsy call to play mostly sophomores and junior last year after their 0- 5 start. Definitely makes a difference to play young players early if they can compete at the Varsity level, that one year of Varsity experence is big for the next year.

Roughneck93
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Going with Smithville by 10.

UPanIN
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Never thought I'd pick Smithville over Rockdale in football but I just did.

Coach BS
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Read the Statesman today, It states Coach Wiley made a gutsy call to play mostly sophomores and junior last year after their 0- 5 start. Definitely makes a difference to play young players early if they can compete at the Varsity level, that one year of Varsity experence is big for the next year.Well I know Rockdale is really young this year, starting 6 sophs and a freshman RB and most of the playmakers are sophs and jrs. If the Tigers of Rockdale had not lost 10 starters to move outs due to the Alcoa plant closing this would be a very different team. Especially with Brooks at RB who is now kicking butt at 4A Calhoun. I still think with all that youth Rockdale still wins this game.

jrhernandez7
10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
7-7 tie at half. as advertised its a slugfest

1st and goal
10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
7-7 going into the 4th

1st and goal
10-14-2011, 09:44 PM
14-14 tied
5 mimutes to go
turnover
Smithville has the ball

1st and goal
10-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Rockdale fumble
Smithville got ball on 42, 8 plays later Touchdown 21-14, 1:55

Rockdale receives kickoff
Rockdale throws, Smithville intercepts.

Smithville takes possession.
penalty, unsportsmanlike against Rockdale, player ejected
Smithville, 2nd and 7 at Rockdale 26, trying to run out clock

Game over, Smithville wins! 1st win since 1990
Timeout Rockdale

jrhernandez7
10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
final smithville 21-14 wow great game!!! scratched an clawed an just kept fighting! !!! 6-0!!!

Tejastrue
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Congrats Smithville...:clap::clap::clap:

trojandad
10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
much congrats, smithville....

Coach BS
10-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Good job smithville ... dang I saw lots of dirty play out there

Tejastrue
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Good job smithville ... dang I saw lots of dirty play out there

Care to go a little further into details??

Coach BS
10-14-2011, 10:40 PM
lets just say the Tigers got away with alot , The officials could have got control of this early but they let it go on the whole game. Just be careful LG, Navasota, Giddings or whoever plays them, they will try to take guys out of the game lots of cheap shots overall not very good sports. But hey good luck just keep winning

Tejastrue
10-14-2011, 10:45 PM
lets just say the Tigers got away with alot , The officials could have got control of this early but they let it go on the whole game. Just be careful LG, Navasota, Giddings or whoever plays them, they will try to take guys out of the game lots of cheap shots overall not very good sports. But hey good luck just keep winning

Probably won't get too much response to this because I believe there is one Smithville poster on this site....with that being said... there are two sides to every story....

Old Tiger
10-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Care to go a little further into details??Probably because smithvill has always been dirty?

YTBulldogs
10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Smithville appears to be for real. Congrats guys. Big win.

Coach BS
10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Probably won't get too much response to this because I believe there is one Smithville poster on this site....with that being said... there are two sides to every story.... I know there are 2 sides, I went to this game and this is the second time i have seen smithville this year, they play dirty, no respect at all. take it for what you want it's just a warning to upcoming opponnets. I went there to see a good game and got one, just thought smithville got away with alot of BS

87 TIGER
10-14-2011, 11:18 PM
first off congrats to smithville, I no this is a homer statement but I cant wait to see the stats because I feel like Rockdale dominated this game 7-7 at the half and we fumbled on the 3 to give them their score,after halftime smithville diddnt get a first down until midway through the 4th. Rockdale had 3 turnovers in this game. The second fumble was with about 6 minutes left in the game with a 14-7 lead Rockdale was controlling the clock and the game until that fumble at our 42. Rockdale had stuffed the run again and smithville threw a 40yd td to tie the game. Rockdales QB gets knocked out of the game and forced to punt and smithville puts together the only drive they had and wins the game. Yes I know thats football but cant wait to see the stats. Good luck the rest of the way but it looks like now we got to watch out for LaGrange who lost in OT to The Rattlers tonight

jrhernandez7
10-14-2011, 11:29 PM
first of all I am not going to get in a argument about playing dirty bc that's outrageous an false allegations as that has never been the case under coach Wiley ask anybody who playes us regularly. rockdale has a good team an smithville was in a fight all night. smithville played a great 4th an showed backbone. Giddings comes to us next week and we are going have to step it up at home to win. I am very proud of my community tonight bc we filled the stands and showed up in numbers on the road tonight!

Manso/V8
10-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Rockdale had 3 turnovers in this game.

This is often the most important stat in determining who gets the win.

jrhernandez7
10-15-2011, 09:04 AM
I cant wait to see the stats because I feel like Rockdale dominated this game

first downs svill 11 Rockdale 11
rushing yards svill 118 Rockdale 75
passing yards svill 169 Rockdale 166

There was not much dominating by either side. It was a great grind it out 4 qt classic of a game. Smithville turned it on in the 4th scoring twice in last 6min to overcome being down 7pts to pull off the win.

Old Tiger
10-15-2011, 09:05 AM
I feel like Rockdale is in the same position Smithville was in last year....VERY young and starting a lot of sophomores?

jrhernandez7
10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Rockdale had some good looking boys. The strong side of the offensive line has good size and that freshman rb is going to be a good one. Two young teams and rockdale's future is bright!! I enjoyed listening to 98.5 on the way in and out , great station with great insight on the game.

Buff42
10-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Which Tigers? Rockdale or Smithville?

Buff42
10-15-2011, 09:39 AM
first off congrats to smithville, I no this is a homer statement but I cant wait to see the stats because I feel like Rockdale dominated this game 7-7 at the half and we fumbled on the 3 to give them their score,after halftime smithville diddnt get a first down until midway through the 4th. Rockdale had 3 turnovers in this game. The second fumble was with about 6 minutes left in the game with a 14-7 lead Rockdale was controlling the clock and the game until that fumble at our 42. Rockdale had stuffed the run again and smithville threw a 40yd td to tie the game. Rockdales QB gets knocked out of the game and forced to punt and smithville puts together the only drive they had and wins the game. Yes I know thats football but cant wait to see the stats. Good luck the rest of the way but it looks like now we got to watch out for LaGrange who lost in OT to The Rattlers tonight

You are 100% correct, sir. Your statement sounds EXACTLY like a homer. Just giving you a hard time- I know what you're saying about the style of play. Sounds liek a great game start to finish.