PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ridden a Segway?

Pudlugger
02-10-2004, 10:53 AM
These things are way cool! I can see how many people with disabilities are using them. Students on large campuses like them. Texas State University with its impossible hills and disability unfriendly architecture would do well to become one of many Segway friendly universities. For a video clip of the Segway go here (http://www.segway.com/video/everyday.html) :D

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

St. Ivender
02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
During Super Bowl weekend at the big party in downtown Houston a guy on a Segway rolled past me and I commented how I'd like to ride it.

He let me ride it.
It was awesome. Not nearly as wobbly as I expected. Just lean forward and you go forward. Lean back to stop and or go backward. It pivots like a tank with the wheels moving in opposite directions. I didn't get it too fast but I saw one at GRB going at the speed of a good trot.

Pudlugger
02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
What do you think? Will the Segway replace the automobile in urban settings? I could see how it would be great. If you live and work in town instead of fighting traffic or crowded buses, subways etc. you could just quietly roll to work or about town on errands. I would have loved one when I was a college student too. Police, messengers, stockpersons and eventually even postal workers will be using them. Many people with neurological or cardiovascular conditions that preclude walking distances yet allow for standing benefit from them. The FDA has not approved them yet as a device for the disabled so they are not protected by the ADA Act. Disneyland has refused access to riders in their theme parks and San Francisco haas banned them from city streets (hard to imagine folks in Frisco objecting to a non-polluting alternative to the automobile!). I'm considering one for my wife who is a graduate student at TSU. The trek from lower campus to the student union or library is uphill and formidible.

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>