PDA

View Full Version : OU VS TEXAS game thread

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
i know ou is the better team and will prolly come out with a w on this one but this is a test to see how texas will do against better teams

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Think it will be close for a half and the Sooners will open it up in the second half

Emerson1
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I will be more shocked if it's an OU blowout then if it's a Texas win.

lbjacj
10-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Homer pick...

Horns 28
OU 27

lbjacj
10-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Horns hold em to a field goal 3-0 sooners

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 11:02 AM
game has started! lets go TEXAS!

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Excellent stop in the red zone for texas!!! 3-0 ou!!!1

TigerPride
10-08-2011, 11:12 AM
i was wanting to listen to the game, does anyone know a link

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 11:13 AM
fumble:(

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
nother good stop in the red zone for texaS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Defense is really showing some moxy by holding OU to 2 FGs so far, but if the offense can't get going, it will be all for naught

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Play David Ash please.

TheDOCTORdre
10-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Red River Kick Out

eagleqb_14
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
6-3 OU end of first.. keep the defense going texas!!!!!

Emerson1
10-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow Diggs.

orange machine
10-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Good effort by Texas in the 1st but without a good qb it's bout to get ugly.

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Diggs looks horrible out there.

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
It's going as I expected. Jones will tear up the Texas secondary. Texas will have to air it out deep, and then there is no garauntee they will be able to complete those passes. Texas is a short pass, run the ball team now. Their secondary is very suspect(weak) on the pass. Tech and Baylor will give UT problems also, not to mention A&M. Texas is overrated, may get 8 or 9 wins this season at best.

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Let me change that number to 7 or 8 at best

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
It's going as I expected. Jones will tear up the Texas secondary. Texas will have to air it out deep, and then there is no garauntee they will be able to complete those passes. Texas is a short pass, run the ball team now. Their secondary is very suspect(weak) on the pass. Tech and Baylor will give UT problems also, not to mention A&M. Texas is overrated, may get 8 or 9 wins this season at best. What other news are you going to break next the sky is blue?

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2011, 12:00 PM
keep the defense going texas!!!!!
:doh: They should listen to you. I stepped outside for about 10 minutes and this is getting ugly FAST. :ack!:

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Looks like it's going to be a long day for the Longhorns

Bullaholic
10-08-2011, 12:02 PM
UT is going to be fierce in a couple of years----but not this year.

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Diggs is playing terrrrrrrible out there. Gideon not much better. Throw in that horrible series by Ash and then it's gonna take a miracle to make it close.

OU is a much better team that Texas. But we shouldn't make it this easy on them.

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, this Longhorn team has young talent no yet ready to play as a team unit with the big boys in college football. It will take most of the season for Texas to learn how to play as a team together, not make mistakes, and understand the coverages of their own teammates.

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Why is Ash in this game?

Txbroadcaster
I think we are seeing UT might not have the QB going forward for the future on the roster right now

alot of really good pieces in place, but not so sure at QB

eagles_victory
Why is Ash in this game? Because Case Mccoy can't throw the ball 20 yards?

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Why is Ash in this game?
Because Gilbert's gone? (Yeah, I know he got hurt, but I think before all is said & done, he will be sorely missed!)

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Because Gilbert's gone? (Yeah, I know he got hurt, but I think before all is said & done, he will be sorely missed!)

Gilbert to far gone in the mind to ever be effective at Texas...Somewhere else yes..not at Texas

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Sooners may put 50 points on the Longhorns when all is said and doen

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Because Gilbert's gone? (Yeah, I know he got hurt, but I think before all is said & done, he will be sorely missed!) Sorely missed? You got to be kidding me that guy was terrible ban yourself from this thread for even saying that.

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Again, why is Ash in the game?

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
This could be a high scoring game

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Gilbert to far gone in the mind to ever be effective at Texas...Somewhere else yes..not at Texas
That may be, BUT I still stand by it. He will be missed once all you "fans" realize the grass isn't always greener. And I'm not talking about his grass, but UT's.

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Again, why is Ash in the game? You seriously think Mccoy is any better? Like honestly?

LH Panther Mom
Sorely missed? You got to be kidding me that guy was terrible ban yourself from this thread for even saying that.
Anyone doing any better?

eagles_victory
That may be, BUT I still stand by it. He will be missed once all you "fans" realize the grass isn't always greener. And I'm not talking about his grass, but UT's. Guess you didn't watch any games last year.

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Anyone doing any better? Yeah actually 4 wins already last year only won 5

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Again Gilbert was mentally gone..fans complaining or not he was to the point he was reading message boards and it got to him

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
You seriously think Mccoy is any better? Like honestly?

Not necessarily, but can you trust Ash to throw the ball anymore today? No.

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Not necessarily, but can you trust Ash to throw the ball anymore today? No. You don't have a Qb at all. I will agree with that. The fact that either one of these guys are on the field at UT right now is the major problem. These guys are UNT type Quarterbacks at this point in their careers.

orange machine
10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree Mack better find him a qb because these guys blow.

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah actually 4 wins already last year only won 5
And that's all Gilbert's fault? Heck, from what I saw of last year, the entire offense was not up to UT standards, overall, including the OL. It's no knock on UT, just my observations. IMO, Gilbert was almost destined for the season he had last year. When you get thrown in the NC game with almost ZERO actual game experience after being a stellar high school QB, then start your new season with some less than impressive games against teams that should have been (somewhat) "easy" wins, have receivers that couldn't catch a cold, it's really no wonder the way the year turned out. (Not to mention somebody called "Greg Davis" lol)

And fwiw, I can be just as, if not more, critical of Tech. (Especially days like today!)

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
And that's all Gilbert's fault? Heck, from what I saw of last year, the entire offense was not up to UT standards, overall, including the OL. It's no knock on UT, just my observations. IMO, Gilbert was almost destined for the season he had last year. When you get thrown in the NC game with almost ZERO actual game experience after being a stellar high school QB, then start your new season with some less than impressive games against teams that should have been (somewhat) "easy" wins, have receivers that couldn't catch a cold, it's really no wonder the way the year turned out. (Not to mention somebody called "Greg Davis" lol)

And fwiw, I can be just as, if not more, critical of Tech. (Especially days like today!) Gilbert missed so many throws though and made so many bad decisions though. It isn't always someone elses fault.

regaleagle
What happened is Texas did not let other qb's compete with Gilbert last year, and it put them behind the 8 ball as far as having a qb ready to go now. McCoy should have gotten more time last year. Now he is like a greenhorn freshman.

Txbroadcaster

And fwiw, I can be just as, if not more, critical of Tech. (Especially days like today!)

Again this is not about Gilbert growing physically..he is mentally gone as the UT QB

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2011, 12:36 PM
You don't have a Qb at all. I will agree with that. The fact that either one of these guys are on the field at UT right now is the major problem. These guys are UNT type Quarterbacks at this point in their careers.

Yes, Gilberts failures are gonna cost ya this year, no doubt. So you get games like this with no QB to step up. Ni just think in this one that Ash lost all confidence long ago.

Emerson1
Just throw it up to Jaxon. If Case can even get it that far.

eagles_victory
What happened is Texas did not let other qb's compete with Gilbert last year, and it put them behind the 8 ball as far as having a qb ready to go now. McCoy should have gotten more time last year. Now he is like a greenhorn freshman. Mccoy just isn't physically gifted enough to play QB at this level.

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, Gilberts failures are gonna cost ya this year, no doubt. So you get games like this with no QB to step up. Ni just think in this one that Ash lost all confidence long ago. When you get a 5 star QB who everyone expects to be a 3 year starter for at least two or three years you aren't going to get any other big time recruits who think they are just going to sit behind Gilbert, so when he bust like Gilbert did you're left with a bunch of 2 and 3 star guys playing way too early.

Roughneck93
10-08-2011, 12:38 PM
That second quarter was brutal.

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
You may be right about that. He looks like he can't deal with the level of speed and competition.

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Gilbert missed so many throws though and made so many bad decisions though. It isn't always someone elses fault.
I'm not defending him. ;) I think he'll be successful wherever he ends up and there will/may be some "what ifs". That's all...

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm not defending him. ;) I think he'll be successful wherever he ends up and there will/may be some "what ifs". That's all... There will never be a what if. Terry said it best he was mentally finished he couldnt handle the pressure that came along with being UT QB

TheDOCTORdre
10-08-2011, 01:02 PM
That second quarter was brutal.

not as brutal as the 3rd quarter is starting

Roughneck93
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
not as brutal as the 3rd quarter is startingYeah it's getting even uglier.

trojandad
10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/meet-gale-gilbert-the-forrest-gump-of-football-216753.html

maybe its a "like father, like son" thing....his dad was good until he hit the college level...at that point he was decent, but not over the top in any way....

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Brent and Kirk might be worse than the UT QB play. They have completely missed so many things that have happened today.

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 02:01 PM
OU is still not going to win the national championship-

coach
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I will be more shocked if it's an OU blowout then if it's a Texas win.

so on a scale of 1-10, how shocked were you?

Emerson1
10-12-2011, 11:11 AM
so on a scale of 1-10, how shocked were you?
7. Only because it was close for a quarter.

Macarthur
10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Gotta say, one of the things that I've read on here is comments to the effect that UT is young and they will be okay at some point in the future. Looking at each team's two deep: UT has 19 Fr/So and OU has 18 Fr/So. OU is just as young as UT.

I was listening to the ticket the other day and one thing that corby said that really struck me was his view on the discrepancy in talent. In the past, OU might win big but you always saw two teams that were always loaded with talent and the overall talent level was very close. He said this year, it looked like a college team playing a HS JV team. He said UT looks to not even be anywhere close to the talent level as an overall program as OU right now. That is a very shocking statement.

OU had 8 sacks! I think that's a school record.

They had 17 tackles for loss which I also think is a record for one game.

Texas' schedule starts to look like a steep hill to climb:

OSU - Just don't see any way they win this game. OSU might score another 50.
Kansas - Win
Tech - Toss up
@ Missouri - Loss
KSU - Loss
@ A&M - Loss
@ Baylor - Loss

Outside of a very weak Kansas, they will be underdogs in every game except maybe Tech.

hollywood
10-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Gotta say, one of the things that I've read on here is comments to the effect that UT is young and they will be okay at some point in the future. Looking at each team's two deep: UT has 19 Fr/So and OU has 18 Fr/So. OU is just as young as UT.

I was listening to the ticket the other day and one thing that corby said that really struck me was his view on the discrepancy in talent. In the past, OU might win big but you always saw two teams that were always loaded with talent and the overall talent level was very close. He said this year, it looked like a college team playing a HS JV team. He said UT looks to not even be anywhere close to the talent level as an overall program as OU right now. That is a very shocking statement.

Kansas - Win
Tech - Toss up
@ Missouri - Loss
KSU - Loss
@ A&M - Loss
@ Baylor - Loss

Outside of a very weak Kansas, they will be underdogs in every game except maybe Tech.

Texas is still in a rebuilding mode. The key difference in Texas vs Oklahoma this year was experience at the QB position. Simple as that. Both have very good talent across the board. Texas is just less experienced at this point. Do you honestly think that OU will be better than UT next year? Texas will be the more experienced team.

Bullaholic
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Kansas - Win
Tech - Toss up
@ Missouri - Loss
KSU - Loss
@ A&M - Loss
@ Baylor - Loss

Mac, I think the UT talent is as good as the OU talent. It's just not being utilized to the full--yet. Too many big changes to the UT program at once to be successful this season. When Mack decides on a starting QB--McCoy or Ash, and he gets a lot more experience the rest of this season---which is all the rest of this season will be-- and you add Johnathan Gray next season--UT will be just fine. OU caught the 'Horns in a dither this year, but I wouldn't count on it lasting in a program that has the resources and big profile that UT has got.

Macarthur
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Texas is still in a rebuilding mode. The key difference in Texas vs Oklahoma this year was experience at the QB position. Simple as that. Both have very good talent across the board. Texas is just less experienced at this point. Do you honestly think that OU will be better than UT next year? Texas will be the more experienced team.

Man, I'm sorry but I saw a lot more difference in these two teams that the QB position. 8 sacks and 17 tackles for loss would tend to indicate there's more to it than that. I think this is a dangerous position to take. As stated earlier, OU has virtually the same number of Fr & So in the 2 deep as UT does. If you remember, OU was very very young last year and they won the Big 12. I also don't get the mentality of rebuilding when you have top 5 recruiting classes every year. How is that possible? And even if you are going with youth, there should still be talent there. What I saw Saturday went way beyond a lack of experience - there was a talent gap.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Stoops-back-in-role-as-Mr-Football-s-contrast-2209806.php

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/oklahomas-bob-stoops-isnt-feeling-sorry.html

hollywood
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Man, I'm sorry but I saw a lot more difference in these two teams that the QB position. 8 sacks and 17 tackles for loss would tend to indicate there's more to it than that. I think this is a dangerous position to take. As stated earlier, OU has virtually the same number of Fr & So in the 2 deep as UT does. If you remember, OU was very very young last year and they won the Big 12. I also don't get the mentality of rebuilding when you have top 5 recruiting classes every year. How is that possible? And even if you are going with youth, there should still be talent there. What I saw Saturday went way beyond a lack of experience - there was a talent gap.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Stoops-back-in-role-as-Mr-Football-s-contrast-2209806.php

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/oklahomas-bob-stoops-isnt-feeling-sorry.html

Would you agree that an experienced QB that is the leader has anything to do with execution of assignments by the O-line?
Would you agree that an experienced QB knows when and how to get rid of the ball when pressured?
Would you agree that UT has 4 true fresh and 1 true soph playing on offense and that the lack of experience and maturity played more on the execution of the plays against OU than talent alone?

Point is, Landry Jones is a great experienced QB. OU's defense scored more points than UT's offense. UT's inexperience on offense equates to mistakes whether forced or not. Those are theoretically 14 point swings in which take the wind right out of the sails, especially in a young offense. I believe Ash is the future starter for the Longhorns. Eliminate those and the game could have been a lot closer. Not saying UT would have won, but would have made it a lot closer. What I saw wasn't a "talent" gap, but an experience gap. Touche

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Kansas - Win
Tech - Toss up
@ Missouri - Loss
KSU - Loss
@ A&M - Loss
@ Baylor - Loss

it is not the number of Fresh/Soph but where they play...Texas has Fresh/Soph at the key skill positions..QB, RB and WR...and on the sacks...more than one were the QB trying to make something happen and not throwing the ball away.

hollywood
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
it is not the number of Fresh/Soph but where they play...Texas has Fresh/Soph at the key skill positions..QB, RB and WR...and on the sacks...more than one were the QB trying to make something happen and not throwing the ball away.

:iagree:

eagles_victory
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
People underestimate how bad Diaz and Harsin got out coached in this game. More Diaz than Harsin Oklahoma called a great game and Diaz never adjusted at all.

You can't just throw out numbers and say OU is just as young. When the starting QB starting RB and starting top WR are all freshman. Now I agree youth is not an excuse for getting dominated like that and it could be a bad sign for UT going forward but to say OU is just as young based on numbers in the 2 deep is silly.

Old Tiger
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
OU starting offense line

LT - senior**
LG - senior***
C - soph*
RG - junior**
RT - junior*

QB - Junior**
RB - Junior
broyles - senior***

*indicats # of letters earned

OU is far more experienced than anybody on Texas offense

UT

RB - fresh
QB - Fresh/soph
Shipley - fresh
Davis - soph

Texas Oline consist of 2 sophomore and a freshmen center

the LT for Texas was Trey Allen who is getting replaced or about to be replaced by a true freshmen

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
People underestimate how bad Diaz and Harsin got out coached in this game. More Diaz than Harsin Oklahoma called a great game and Diaz never adjusted at all.

You can't just throw out numbers and say OU is just as young. When the starting QB starting RB and starting top WR are all freshman. Now I agree youth is not an excuse for getting dominated like that and it could be a bad sign for UT going forward but to say OU is just as young based on numbers in the 2 deep is silly.

i really cant say diaz called a bad game..when you have so much youth sometimes the correct call is not shown...even players like Gideon made some huge mistakes no matter which D was called

eagles_victory
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
i really cant say diaz called a bad game..when you have so much youth sometimes the correct call is not shown...even players like Gideon made some huge mistakes no matter which D was called He never stopped blitzing and adjusted to the fact they weren't going to get to Jones with blitzes off the edge. You say even players like Gideon made mistakes like Gideon isn't God awful. That guy might be the worst 4 year starter in Big 12 history.

Tejastrue
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
He never stopped blitzing and adjusted to the fact they weren't going to get to Jones with blitzes off the edge. You say even players like Gideon made mistakes like Gideon isn't God awful. That guy might be the worst 4 year starter in Big 12 history.

Man...when you really hate somebody ...you really do hate somebody...:eek:

Macarthur
10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Would you agree that an experienced QB that is the leader has anything to do with execution of assignments by the O-line?

Some, yes.

Would you agree that an experienced QB knows when and how to get rid of the ball when pressured?

Yep.

Would you agree that UT has 4 true fresh and 1 true soph playing on offense and that the lack of experience and maturity played more on the execution of the plays against OU than talent alone?

Agree w the first part but not so much the last point. Look youth plays a factor but I saw a significant diff in the level of talent on the field.

. UT's inexperience on offense equates to mistakes whether forced or not.

Why does this have to be true. Seniors make mistakes too.

I believe Ash is the future starter for the Longhorns. Eliminate those and the game could have been a lot closer. Not saying UT would have won, but would have made it a lot closer. What I saw wasn't a "talent" gap, but an experience gap. Touche

Well, we saw things differently.

One thing I would be wanting an answer to if I were a UT fan, the last two years, we've recruited a 4 star and a 5 star QB and not only are neither starting but not even on the roster. That is really odd to me.

eagles_victory
10-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Man...when you really hate somebody ...you really do hate somebody...:eek: I don't hate Gideon Im sure he is a great guy but he is terrible at safety.

Emerson1
10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
The offensive line being pretty much terrible hasn't helped.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Some, yes.

One thing I would be wanting an answer to if I were a UT fan, the last two years, we've recruited a 4 star and a 5 star QB and not only are neither starting but not even on the roster. That is really odd to me.

not really odd..that is CFB today..as soon as one is entrenched as starter others transfer..same thing happened with Colt and Snead..only diference is Gilbert did not work out

Eagle 1
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Funny.....the Tech/A&M thread is closed, but this one is still open.

Macarthur
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
not really odd..that is CFB today..as soon as one is entrenched as starter others transfer..same thing happened with Colt and Snead..only diference is Gilbert did not work out

I don't disagree w your point, but to have two guys that highly regarded and neither one are in your program is a killer. Ash or McCoy could end up being solid but neither appears to be any where close to a difference maker.

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't disagree w your point, but to have two guys that highly regarded and neither one are in your program is a killer. Ash or McCoy could end up being solid but neither appears to be any where close to a difference maker.

oh i agree 100%...the lack of getting anyone else playing time at QB last year IMO put the program back 2 years...I dont think either are the answer..I do think Ash has a better chance..he played at Belton and Coach Southern there has told me for two years he is a D1 arm...we shall see

The guy they have coming next year is not a world beater either..he is solid, not great...so we shall see

Emerson1
10-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Funny.....the Tech/A&M thread is closed, but this one is still open.
Why is it funny? I am to lazy to go find it, but chances are it had turned into a aggy v. raider rash bashing each other thread. Civil college conversations are allowed it's just some of you aren't capable of doing that.