PDA

View Full Version : 2A No1 Refugio vs Freer

sinfan75
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
91-6! Ouch!! Refugio needs to hurry up and get in the play-offs.

Roughneck93
10-07-2011, 10:38 PM
91-6! Ouch!! Refugio needs to hurry up and get in the play-offs.:eek:

megaman2184
10-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Yes so karma can bite them in the ass. I lost respect for that head coach for running up score on kids. What does this prove? Useless stat grabbing is all they r proving. Just trash display and classless sportsmenship from Refugio. If they r trying to get notices, this isn't away to make a staement. Just a bully picking on a nerd kid. I don't wish bad on anyone but I hope refugio gets a taste of their own medicine. /Rant

sinfan75
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes so karma can bite them in the ass. I lost respect for that head coach for running up score on kids. What does this prove? Useless stat grabbing is all they r proving. Just trash display and classless sportsmenship from Refugio. If they r trying to get notices, this isn't away to make a staement. Just a bully picking on a nerd kid. I don't wish bad on anyone but I hope refugio gets a taste of their own medicine. /RantWhat do you want them to do kneel every play?

megaman2184
10-07-2011, 11:21 PM
What do you want them to do kneel every play? Take Calallen head coach Phil Danaher, love him or hate him, he is a well respected coach in this state. He earned respect not by running up scores on weaker opponents. He knows his teams are better then others when it comes too lesser competition but like this, 91 points, 82 last week. It's pathetic and I know first hand you learn nothing in the end, winner or loser. I don't see a problem kneeling down every play when your up 91-6. Frankly if they care so much what we are saying to run up the score, let's talk about them kneeling since they want the press and to be talked about. You want ppl to talk about you, schedule a pre season worth a Damn instead of pushing lesser teams.

ExScoop
10-07-2011, 11:26 PM
In 1970, Barbers Hill beat Deweyville 99-0

ExScoop
10-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Refugio is in the weakest district in Region IV

megaman2184
10-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I just feel bad for these kids who have to play to a blow out like that.

Matthew328
10-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Its hard to rip a coach if you weren't at the game....if he had starters in and was running it up thats one thing but you can't ask backup kids not to score...they want to do well when they are in the game also

raider red 2000
10-07-2011, 11:55 PM
8 different kids scored TD's

last Score was a pick 6 with a running clock.

coachc45
10-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Take Calallen head coach Phil Danaher, love him or hate him, he is a well respected coach in this state. He earned respect not by running up scores on weaker opponents. He knows his teams are better then others when it comes too lesser competition but like this, 91 points, 82 last week. It's pathetic and I know first hand you learn nothing in the end, winner or loser. I don't see a problem kneeling down every play when your up 91-6. Frankly if they care so much what we are saying to run up the score, let's talk about them kneeling since they want the press and to be talked about. You want ppl to talk about you, schedule a pre season worth a Damn instead of pushing lesser teams.

Why is it Refugio's responsibility to make Freer or any other team feel good about themselves?

I don't feel sorry for those kids at Freer....they have the same chance as refugio to practice and work in offseason.....and why would Freer be throwing the ball in a game that out of hand?

D_bird
10-08-2011, 02:09 AM
I think a valid question in a case like this is what do you consider a bigger insult? Kneeling the ball every down or playing your backups and having them play hard and possibly scoring a very large amount of points? Some people don't seem to get that it may in fact be more insulting to a team to basically quit playing the game because of the score. I think it's a no win situation either way you look at it honestly.

If you want to know my honest opinion I'm shocked you don't see a lot more of this because of the offenses being so much more dynamic than in the past. In the 70s and 80s this happened a lot more than it does now with far less superior offenses back then.

OldNavy
10-08-2011, 07:53 AM
According to Texas HS Football

For the record... Refugio's 91 point performance is just 12 points shy of the state record of 103 by Valley Mills in 1969.

sinton66
10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Refugio's district opponents are pretty weak this year. That's not their fault. I agree 100% with M328. A coach can't ask backups not to score. The scores will get a lot closer when the playoffs roll around.

megaman2184
10-08-2011, 09:17 AM
To that comment about not feeling sry, its a game. When your coach still is throwing the ball with the game already in hand, that just speaks itself. Here is the box score from there game.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/08/fbh_area_roundup/

And how can you not blame this on the coach? It starts up top with the coaches themselves but like I said, come playoff time, they will get theres. Stay classy

sinfan75
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Better go back and check your records. Danaher coached teams put up some huge scores on opponents in the 80's and 90'. Calallen fields 40-50 players. Refugio if they're lucky dresses 30. That don't leave many back-ups to put in the game once it's out of hand. For your info Freer is a district opponent. They have no choice they have to play em

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
people act like Free players will have to go to therapy now and once promising lives will be derailed in shame

come on..it is a game..heck in two years those Freer kids will be laughing about the night they got killed.

If you expect a team way ahead to kneel every play..then the team behind should as well then, or just have refs call the game.

As much crap there is with DISD football I have always respected one thing...when rivals meet( such as Velt vs Madison)..they try to score as much as they can..throw ball in last minute up 42-0..and no one gets butt hurt..the coaches still meet and shake hands and the staffs usually hang around talking with each other and joking and talking.

I asked a Velt coach why they were like that once and he said oh we all know we will get the chance to do it to them down the road.

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 12:13 PM
So the Barbers Hill-Deweyville 99-0 score is the third largest in the state
http://www.texasfootball.com/scoring-records/

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Tied for third with three other teams

Phil C
10-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Better go back and check your records. Danaher coached teams put up some huge scores on opponents in the 80's and 90'. Calallen fields 40-50 players. Refugio if they're lucky dresses 30. That don't leave many back-ups to put in the game once it's out of hand. For your info Freer is a district opponent. They have no choice they have to play em

I wasn't at the game but when Calallen beat Sinton in the 90s by a big margin I was told by some people that were there that they felt that Coach Danaher left his son in the game too long probably to pad his statistics. The game was a riot by Calallen and they felt they should have had the reserves in sooner. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure but that was the talk around town afte the game.

Phil C
10-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Being a Freer ex and going there when we had good teams (even just a few years ago we got to the quarterfinals) this is a big ouch for me. But some large scores are deceiving and it doesn't mean teams were running up the score and things do go the other way at times. I feel that a team needs to leave the starters in until at least half way through the third quarter to avoid rust (which could hurt in a tight game). After the starters leave the other team is no doubt suffering mentally and physically so that gives the second and third stringers a big advantage. Remember the non starters work hard in practice and don't get much glory so they want to do their best when they get to play.
A long time ago Freer played Corpus Christi Academay and the game was decided in the first quarter. They were playing the second and third stringers and they still couldn't be stopped. I remember at half time they called boys on the JVs to come suit out in the locker room over the PA system and they were still unstoppable. At the end of the third quarter it was 53 to 0 and the other team walked off the field and forfeited the game and refused to ever play Freer again.
Freer used to beat Premont by big scores but they played second and third stringers when out of hand. But it turned around when Premont beat Freer by a big margin. The only thing that many people were upset about was in the last minute Premont tried to score again and called time outs when they had the game won.
Another thing to remember even though it may not ever happen in high school is when UT was driving on Missouri a few years ago and the second stringers were moving down the field on a game that was won. Coach Brown called time out and told him to run the clock out rather than score. By refusing to run up the score it cost them rankings and even though Texas had beat Oklahoma by ten points earlier OU ran up scores and passed them in the rankings and got to play for the national championship which they lost again as usual.

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I remember my Jr. year in school and we were playing CC Miller JV in non-district. It was 49-0 at the half. We punted every possession in the second half on first down, and still won the game by 66-0.

coachc45
10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
To that comment about not feeling sry, its a game. When your coach still is throwing the ball with the game already in hand, that just speaks itself. Here is the box score from there game.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/08/fbh_area_roundup/

And how can you not blame this on the coach? It starts up top with the coaches themselves but like I said, come playoff time, they will get theres. Stay classy

I don't feel sorry for them even after reading that... It is not Refugio's job to make Freer feel better about themselves, that responsibility lays on the parents.

Why was Freer still throwing the the ball late if they were worried about the score?

Phil C
10-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I just feel bad for these kids who have to play to a blow out like that.

Sometimes players who have to actually show more character than ones on winning teams. It is easier to play when you are winning but to keep trying when you keep getting blown out shows something.

BaseballUmp
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Another year of Refugio not winning state because they are from RIV and everyone knows that RIV is weak. Especially in 2A

Maroon87
10-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Better go back and check your records. Danaher coached teams put up some huge scores on opponents in the 80's and 90'.

True...but we never put more than 70 on anybody.

ExScoop
10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
On Victoria Advocate website
http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/oct/08/refugio_cap_1007_154655/

Phil C
10-08-2011, 10:55 PM
On Victoria Advocate website
http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/oct/08/refugio_cap_1007_154655/

I remember one time when Penn State had a big lead and the other team just couldn't stop them from scoring with reserves playing. PSU Coach Joe Paterno called a player and asked him "What position do you play son." The kid answered "Offensive tackle Coach." Coach Paterno said "That's good enough. Get in there at quarterback!"

:)

Eagle 1
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
A friend of mine from Refugio who played for the bobcats back in day told me a funny story. He said they were playing some weak team down there and blowing them out. The other team punted to Refugio, and the Refugio player caught the ball and punted it right back to the other team. The really funny part, the other team fumbled the ball and Refugio got it back. LOL....
He said of course the Refugio coach was pissed at his player for doing this, but had to laugh after the game.

Saggy Aggie
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Refugio was up 63-6 and their starting QB was still throwing td passes?

1st and goal
10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
My oilfield buddy tells me there's a new topless place in Freer. Of all places. It used to just be the Texaco station where they hosted the Muy Grande buck competition...Maybe all their minds are not on football nowadays??? jk. :1popcorn:

Phil C
11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Now with the playoffs starting nothing less than a state championship for Refugio will justify running up those scores. I am from Freer and we have had some great teams but we never ran up the score on anyone.

Phil C
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Now with the playoffs starting nothing less than a state championship for Refugio will justify running up those scores. I am from Freer and we have had some great teams but we never ran up the score on anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnJDaqT3-0

warhorsejoe
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

I agree, Devine had so many chances to run up the scores and stats but we did all of scoring in the 1st or 2nd Qrt. If they dont win state then they didnt accomplished anything. just saying.

Phil C
11-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I agree, Devine had so many chances to run up the scores and stats but we did all of scoring in the 1st or 2nd Qrt. If they dont win state then they didnt accomplished anything. just saying.

Another thing warhorsejoe is that if you play your starters long you risk losing some to injuries. Refugio is fortunate this year in regards to that but remember that player that got hurt in a one sided game in the movie Friday Night Lights even though that was because the second stringer lost his helmet.

Phil C
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Refugio is very close to getting the state championship. If they success I will certainly congratulate them and give them credit that their style works. At the same time if they don't I will certainly have a nice happy gloat.

raider red 2000
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Refugio is very close to getting the state championship. If they success I will certainly congratulate them and give them credit that their style works. At the same time if they don't I will certainly have a nice happy gloat.

why would you have a happy gloat?

Phil C
12-10-2011, 04:13 PM
One more game to go.