PDA

View Full Version : Big XII extends Invite to TCU!!!

sandmaster
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Just saw this on ESPN!! And here is a link
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/10/6/2473063/big-12-expansion-reports-tcu-invited-to-big-12-will-accept

Pendragon13
10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
A better fit for TCU than the Big East, but not sure adding a team that is in an already saturated tv market will help the Big 12 much..

GpΣígh╤¥ III
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Just saw this on ESPN!! And here is a link
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/10/6/2473063/big-12-expansion-reports-tcu-invited-to-big-12-will-accept

They're expecting another to join today also and rumors are SMU, BYU or W Va.

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Not sure what TCU will add..they dont even fill their own stadium...seems to me this is a we have to add a team ASAP move

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7066994/sources-tcu-horned-frogs-meeting-discuss-big-12-invite

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Not sure what TCU will add..they dont even fill their own stadium...seems to me this is a we have to add a team ASAP move

could become easier to fill with new excitement for frog fans.....and more importantly....texas, ou, osu and tech will travel well for a game in ft worth...baylor could become a big rivalry.

as far as tv mkts.......not really sure.
txb you understand tv etc.... I might have to get with you about understanding markets and tv contracts.

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
They add a decent baseball program and a above agerage to good football program.

TCU is a better add than UH or SMU

Now they just need to add BYU

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
They add a decent baseball program and a above agerage to good football program.

TCU is a better add than UH or SMU

Now they just need to add BYU

not trying to be argumentative....but why BYU?

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
not trying to be argumentative....but why BYU?BYU is a huge draw nationally....they pull in a whole new TV market

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
BYU is a huge draw nationally....they pull in a whole new TV market

they are? I know that there are Latter Saints throughout the country I am sure, but I don't know if BYU has too much appeal.

and I hope I didn't offend LDS...I know they aren't all BYU fans.

I don't think U of H would be a bad addition or Louisville..............Boise State has a lot of potential...right now.......now understand I am looking at them with considering markets.

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 12:52 PM
they are? I know that there are Latter Saints throughout the country I am sure, but I don't know if BYU has too much appeal.

and I hope I didn't offend LDS...I know they aren't all BYU fans.

I don't think U of H would be a bad addition or Louisville..............Boise State has a lot of potential...right now.......now understand I am looking at them with considering markets.UH would be a terrible addition...crap facilities....crap academics

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/BYUUtah-TV-ratings-shaping-up-36377586

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
UH would be a terrible addition...crap facilities....crap academics

I thought U of H just became a tier one school... facilites.....are good except for football.
again not trying to argue.

I just think U of H...could benefit from the conference............still think Louisville good for adding a northern team.

WildTexan972
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
BYU does have a large national audience, kinda like the catholics and notre dame...but they don't fit well geographically....

tcu is a geographic fit, but offers no "growth" to tv markets AT ALL....their stadium will fill with opponents fans since few in FW go to see their games...they will make bowl games but their patsy conference schedule will be a thing of the past....

UH offers little to big12-2-1 since they don't really have a large Houston following either....SMU has money behind em and are improving at football, but they cheat so they will be in trouble often - cheated at football many times and basketball, so don't be surprised if that continues when their status rises to a real conference....

W.Va is an odd pick...but a previous Leach coach coming back to beat up Tommy's weak program at Tech would be a giggle....Louisville maybe - not any worse geography wise than Colorado was, and they will improve the basketball standing, but not really any type media market impact

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I thought U of H just became a tier one school... facilites.....are good except for football.

I just think U of H...could benefit from the conference............still think Louisville good for adding a northern team.It all depends on Mizzou...and if the big 12 wants 10, 11, or 12 members.

TCU is a good addition, BYU would be a good edition, and Louisville isn't a bad edition.

If they add Louisville to the Big 12 that would give my girlfriend a reason not to nag about watching football with me when Texas plays. So I am all for that.

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
BYU does have a large national audience, kinda like the catholics and notre dame...but they don't fit well geographically....

tcu is a geographic fit, but offers no "growth" to tv markets AT ALL....their stadium will fill with opponents fans since few in FW go to see their games...they will make bowl games but their patsy conference schedule will be a thing of the past....

UH offers little to big12-2-1 since they don't really have a large Houston following either....SMU has money behind em and are improving at football, but they cheat so they will be in trouble often - cheated at football many times and basketball, so don't be surprised if that continues when their status rises to a real conference....

W.Va is an odd pick...but a previous Leach coach coming back to beat up Tommy's weak program at Tech would be a giggle....Louisville maybe - not any worse geography wise than Colorado was, and they will improve the basketball standing, but not really any type media market impactGeography doesn't matter anymore.....

Essentially BYU replaces the Colorado market that CU had.....but with the Salt Lake tv market

Old Tiger
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Smallest stadium in big 12 right now is 46,000(Baylor)

TCU stadium holds 40,000-45,000.....does anyone know what the capacity will be once construction is done?

UH stadium only holds 32,000

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Geography doesn't matter anymore.....

Essentially BYU replaces the Colorado market that CU had.....but with the Salt Lake tv market

I think it will probably be BYU...but really don't think that they add or bring much.....other than giving the conference a few more years of existence.

I think if will be only a matter of time until the OK schools look to leave............wouldn't be surprised to see the KS leave either or if they were working on it now.

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Smallest stadium in big 12 right now is 46,000(Baylor)

TCU stadium holds 40,000-45,000.....does anyone know what the capacity will be once construction is done?

UH stadium only holds 32,000

http://www.stadium.tcu.edu/news.asp

article reads 43,000 with expansion to 50,000

Phil C
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
You have to remember that TCU has had success in recent years and they won the National Championship in college football in 1937 and in that year Davy O'Brian won the Heisman Trophy. Plus the great NFL QB Sammy Baugh came from there as did the great NFL Defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys - Bob Lilly. Plus TCU beat Syracuse and the great RB Jim Brown in the 1957 Cotton Bowl by one point.

HEMOTOXIC
10-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I just think U of H...could benefit from the conference............still think Louisville good for adding a northern team.

You are correct, U of H is now a Tier One University with nearly 40,000 students. A new football stadium is in the works. Not to mention, U of H, if needed, could play games at Reliant Stadium. Houston is a massive market that can support "big games".

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
You have to remember that TCU has had success in recent years and they won the National Championship in college football in 1937 and in that year Davy O'Brian won the Heisman Trophy. Plus the great NFL QB Sammy Baugh came from there as did the great NFL Defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys - Bob Lilly. Plus TCU beat Syracuse and the great RB Jim Brown in the 1957 Cotton Bowl by one point.

whoa wait a sec............I thought it was 38...cause a&m was 39 and i got a triva question right once.....tcu and a&m 38/39 and Alabama/Auburn
09/10

3afan
10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
BYU is a huge draw nationally....they pull in a whole new TV market

nationally? uh, no

in their region yeah

Macarthur
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7066994/sources-tcu-horned-frogs-meeting-discuss-big-12-invite

GpΣígh╤¥ III
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
could become easier to fill with new excitement for frog fans.....and more importantly....texas, ou, osu and tech will travel well for a game in ft worth...baylor could become a big rivalry.

as far as tv mkts.......not really sure.
txb you understand tv etc.... I might have to get with you about understanding markets and tv contracts.And Aggy's

coach
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM

and a&m to sec. and Barak Obama is the President.....little late?

Macarthur
10-06-2011, 02:54 PM

That's not entirely correct. They averaged 42k last year which was 3rd, I believe, among private schools. Their average attendance as a % of their student population and alumni base is actually one of the highest in the nation. Given that TCU is a small private school, they actually do quite well with regards to attendance.

Frankly, if you factor in student body population and alumni base, their attendence is better than ut and a&m.

Matthew328
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
That's not entirely correct. They averaged 42k last year which was 3rd, I believe, among private schools. Their average attendance as a % of their student population and alumni base is actually one of the highest in the nation. Given that TCU is a small private school, they actually do quite well with regards to attendance.

Frankly, if you factor in student body population and alumni base, their attendence is better than ut and a&m.

TCU's attendance has been good despite the fact Wyoming, San Diego State UNLV aren't big local draws...the average football fan won't go see that game...but add in a GORGEOUS new stadium, teams with much more regional interest and an already good product and game day experience and TCU should see sellouts at nearly every game....

stadium will be 50k when its all said and done

LIONS#1
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
TCU is a good fit in the Big 12.. Welcome Horned Frogs!! Barry being Presedent is kinda like aggy leaving to the sec... two big mistakes!!:1popcorn:

Manso/V8
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I am not a TCU or a BYU fan, but I am a fan of good football.
TCU and BYU having been playing pretty good football.
I usually watch games when either of those teams are on TV,
I would definately watch them more if they were in the Big XII.

I am not a Mormon, but I know Mormons that live in various parts of the country.
Most of them tend to follow BYU and watch BYU games even though they didn't go to school there.

Pendragon13
10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
You have to remember that TCU has had success in recent years and they won the National Championship in college football in 1937 and in that year Davy O'Brian won the Heisman Trophy. Plus the great NFL QB Sammy Baugh came from there as did the great NFL Defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys - Bob Lilly. Plus TCU beat Syracuse and the great RB Jim Brown in the 1957 Cotton Bowl by one point.Yeah, never mind LT and Andy Dalton as a starting NFL QB...in this century.

regaleagle
10-06-2011, 11:44 PM
TCU was the natural and logical best overall choice for the Big 12, and that's why they were the first to be invited. I feel there is a great upside to UH in the coming years if they too were offered. TV markets aside, facilities and fan support will be there. Competitive recruiting in the Texas market will also improve, and I'm a UH fan. My son is attending college there. I also like having all these old SWC teams being considered. I don't think the Big 12 will be any worse off than with Colorado or Iowa State(in Ames???) as was the case in past years. UH does field a competitive basketball team, and with a membership in the Big 12, they have the potential of being a very competitive team in alot of sports.