PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Lake @ Navarro

Tejastrue
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
This one just might be a bit closer than some think... I still like Canyon Lake but Navarro's two losses are by a combined 3 points and Navarro ate them up with that Slot-T last year....will be a good one I think...

http://hilltopnewspaper.com/2011/10/pregame-canyon-lake-navarro/

SHSBulldog00
10-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I like this game.

LionFan72
10-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Imho, sounds like deciding game for 2nd and 3rd in district. Big game night, turnovers decide the game! Canyon Lake by a point!

NastySlot
10-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I think this was a shocker in district last season and the Eagles were caught by surprise..........saying this only cause no one knew much about Navarro being the new kid on the Block.

no surprises this year..the district is aware the Panthers are good.

Roughneck93
10-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I like Canyon Lake in this game by a touchdown. I agree LionFan, most likely a battle for 2nd and 3rd.

clhsdad
10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I agree last year it looked like Canyon Lake had never scouted Navarro and we had no clue. I think this year we will be better prepared and we win a close one.

Sportshack
10-07-2011, 12:22 PM
navarro lost a really talented QB from last year in Bormann. I am not feeling them this year. They have played some really small schools and lost a couple of times already. One of those losses was to Lexington, a perennial 2A power. However, Lexington has already lost a couple games as well. Canyon Lake appears to have a very salty running game this year. They have a skin on the wall with a victory over Sealy. I am not convinced that Navarro will make playoffs this year. All district teams will be more used to slot T and it is unlikely current QB throws as well as Bormann from last year. The passing element really made their offense difficult to stop. Once teams get used to slot T it is a little easier to defend. I could be wrong but I think that Canyon lake will easily handle Navarro.

Tejastrue
10-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I agree last year it looked like Canyon Lake had never scouted Navarro and we had no clue. I think this year we will be better prepared and we win a close one.

Navarro does not have the same skill players on offense as last year but it looks like their defense is doing pretty well allowing an average of 14 pgm. Don't believe however they've played an offense like CL's. For CL, it's tough to prepare for a good slot-t offense when you don't face it much.

Navarro's JV won last night 32-13....irrelevant to this game I know but the loss was a first for a CLHS JV squad since the 2009 season, a span of 18 games.

Would anyone know if this game tonight will be online?

Too funny SS, our posts a minute apart...

Manso/V8
10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
navarro lost a really talented QB from last year in Bormann. I am not feeling them this year. They have played some really small schools and lost a couple of times already. One of those losses was to Lexington, a perennial 2A power. However, Lexington has already lost a couple games as well. Canyon Lake appears to have a very salty running game this year. They have a skin on the wall with a victory over Sealy. I am not convinced that Navarro will make playoffs this year. All district teams will be more used to slot T and it is unlikely current QB throws as well as Bormann from last year. The passing element really made their offense difficult to stop. Once teams get used to slot T it is a little easier to defend. I could be wrong but I think that Canyon lake will easily handle Navarro.

A well run slot T allows a team with less talent and size to compete, control a game with 3-4 yard gains, and frustrate the defense. Passes usually come as a surprise when the defense over compensates for the run, and a super talented passer isn't always required to be successful. Of course, the more talent you have the better. The real keys are execution, and OC play calling. If last year was the first year for Navarro to run the slot T, they should be executing it better this year, and the play calling should be better, which makes it even more difficult to defend.

I don't know the teams, other than I know Canyon Lake beat Sealy, and have heard Navarro is on the rise. It may be a tougher game for Canyon Lake than expected.

Tejastrue
10-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Final score???

clhsdad
10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Late 4th quarter Navarro had problems with lights. Canyon Lake 41 Navarro 26 about 2 minutes left.

Tejastrue
10-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Late 4th quarter Navarro had problems with lights. Canyon Lake 41 Navarro 26 about 2 minutes left.

Like deer in the headlights?? :D

Tejastrue
10-08-2011, 12:04 AM

It is the final. Just saw the stats. Looks like it was back and forth most of the night. Congrats on the win.:clap:

CLHawk
10-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah, it was 41-26 Canyon Lake when I left with 30 seconds left. The score doesn't reflect how close it was. Navarro was right there all night. Canyon Lake stopped a crucial 4th down attempt late in the 3rd. Navarro had 4th and say 3-4 on their own 40ish. That seemed to be a big momentum shift. It seemed to me that Navarro was a little gassed in 4th quarter. There were players going both ways for them. Btw, Navarro #44 is a really nice player, hard running and always had his number called for the tackle when he was on defense.

It turned into the Henshaw show in the 4th and that's when CL pulled away, but it was an evenly matched game until then I thought. Refs were hanky happy, and there was a CL punt that was downed on the 0 yard line that I thought was questionable.

Hats off and good luck to Navarro for the rest of the season, second best team we played this year behind Sealy IMHO.