PDA

View Full Version : Ron Washington

lostaussie
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Really pissed me off last night with his pitching change decisions. Yes they won and I am glad...........I think they got lucky. Why pull Colby with a one-hitter going? At least bring him back out for a batter and see where it gets you. And then you let Ogando pitch to 2 batters and pull him after the end of the inning? Why not bring him back out for the 8th...........certainly not a stamina problem for a starting pitcher. I think Ron got away with one last night.

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Really pissed me off last night with his pitching change decisions. Yes they won and I am glad...........I think they got lucky. Why pull Colby with a one-hitter going? At least bring him back out for a batter and see where it gets you. And then you let Ogando pitch to 2 batters and pull him after the end of the inning? Why not bring him back out for the 8th...........certainly not a stamina problem for a starting pitcher. I think Ron got away with one last night.

That is baseball today..all situational pitching...IMO Lewis was close to being done, so I dont have a real problem with pulling him

waterboy
10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Yep. Wash sometimes over manages. I probably would've let Colby start the 7th to see if he still had enough to get an out or two. A win is a win, but I agree that Wash got away with one.

bobcat1
10-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I agree. I don't know who the pitcher was he pulled in the 8th to bring in Feliz but that guy threw 3 strikes and struck out the batter. Why pull him? Feliz got only his second save last night of the year pitching in multiple innings. I thought it was dumb then and still do even though they won. They are winning inspite of him and that's good.

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Yep. Wash sometimes over manages. I probably would've let Colby start the 7th to see if he still had enough to get an out or two. A win is a win, but I agree that Wash got away with one.

Baseball coaches work off tendencies and percentages. That's why they pitched out to get Upton at 2nd. If it will work more often then it will fail you do it everytime. It's calculated guesses. Just like Mike Adams last night. The game before he was great. If anyone knows the players it's the coach not us.

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree. I don't know who the pitcher was he pulled in the 8th to bring in Feliz but that guy threw 3 strikes and struck out the batter. Why pull him? Feliz got only his second save last night of the year pitching in multiple innings. I thought it was dumb then and still do even though they won. They are winning inspite of him and that's good.

What if someone turned this around and said the next hitter bats .400 against lefties and .200 against righties. Would you still pitch the lefty?

WildTexan972
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
a 1 hitter has NOTHING to do with the pitching calls....in the playoffs you pull a guy with a no-hitter in a tight game if you have to....stats mean squat in the playoffs so you play to win no matter what "they" think of the calls...

win or go home...so why whine when they win?

waterboy
10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Baseball coaches work off tendencies and percentages. That's why they pitched out to get Upton at 2nd. If it will work more often then it will fail you do it everytime. It's calculated guesses. Just like Mike Adams last night. The game before he was great. If anyone knows the players it's the coach not us.
I'm well aware that Wash is a stats guy, and that he plays percentages. That's his job, and he is good at it. I just question some of his moves based on my gut instead of his stats. Sometimes, as a manager you have to put stats aside and go with your gut. That's all I have to say about that. A win is a win, and I'm not complaining, but as a fan I can always question what he does...........mainly because hindsight is 20/20......:)......but, still..

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm well aware that Wash is a stats guy, and that he plays percentages. That's his job, and he is good at it. I just question some of his moves based on my gut instead of his stats. Sometimes, as a manager you have to put stats aside and go with your gut. That's all I have to say about that. A win is a win, and I'm not complaining, but as a fan I can always question what he does...........mainly because hindsight is 20/20......:)......but, still..

My gut was saying Verlander was done well before he got pulled last night too.

Here's the bottom line. Which player has the best chance to make this play right now. Win or lose with your best player (or closer). Gonzalez is not our best pitcher. I would have been livid if he would have gave up the lead

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
What's funny is Madden did the exact same thing. Rangers executed, Rays didn't. I'll take every win we can get!

lostaussie
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
My gut was saying Verlander was done well before he got pulled last night too.

Here's the bottom line. Which player has the best chance to make this play right now. It ain't never Darren...........give me my geritol...............Oliver. lol

like i said, really glad they won inspite of Washington. i don't dislike Ron.............I just think he over thinks the situations sometimes. I thought Colby and Ogando were both the guys to leave out there at the time. jmo Maybe the big bats will show today and we won't have to talk about pitching 2moro!!

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Lol but even old man Oliver was great in game 2! You have to get it done when your number is called! Pitching wins over good bats. See last years World Series.

Macarthur
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
They are winning inspite of him and that's good.

Could not disagree more. This team has gotten better each year he has been the manager. sure, Nolan and JD should get a lot of credit, as should Maddux. But you dismissing Wash is a huge mistake. This guy does a fantastic job of keeping these guys focused and loose. He has some flaws, but show me a manager that doesn't.

Socia is regarded as one of the best, but Wash has made him his bitch 2 years in a row.

bobcat1
10-04-2011, 12:24 PM
What if someone turned this around and said the next hitter bats .400 against lefties and .200 against righties. Would you still pitch the lefty?
I don't know. I just don't like seeing pitchers that seem to have it going right get pulled to bring in someone that you don't know about yet for the night.

Could not disagree more. This team has gotten better each year he has been the manager. sure, Nolan and JD should get a lot of credit, as should Maddux. But you dismissing Wash is a huge mistake. This guy does a fantastic job of keeping these guys focused and loose. He has some flaws, but show me a manager that doesn't.

Socia is regarded as one of the best, but Wash has made him his bitch 2 years in a row. Don't get me wrong. I never said he was bad. I like him. I just said I think at times he does things that could hurt them. I tell you what. I never watch them or basketball until the playoffs because I don't really care. They both are 2nd and third repectively to football to me. Always have been and always will be. So I will just butt out of these baseball threads.

waterboy
10-04-2011, 12:31 PM
It ain't never Darren...........give me my geritol...............Oliver. lol

like i said, really glad they won inspite of Washington. i don't dislike Ron.............I just think he over thinks the situations sometimes. I thought Colby and Ogando were both the guys to leave out there at the time. jmo Maybe the big bats will show today and we won't have to talk about pitching 2moro!!
:iagree:

A win is a win, though, and I'm always happy to get the win. Of course, if Colby stayed in and didn't pitch effectively we probably would be questioning that move, too....LOL! Wash is a good manager, and his record speaks for itself, but a fan can always question certain moves made by him. Like the old adage goes, "Hindsight is 20/20."

Macarthur
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
One more thing to remember was that Colby had to sit through a long half inning. Sometimes that affects the decision to come back out.

lostaussie
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
7 minutes to start.................i think we can all agree on this................GO RANGERS!!

Tejastrue
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Macarthur, don't know why you have to talk like a prison inmate....oh well. I agree in regards to Washington. Nice call for that pitch out at a key point in the game. I wasn't sold on Washington at first but have come to respect what he brings as a manager. I love his enthusiasm and his relationship with the team and coaches. As far as the the relief pitchers....it's the way he's used these same guys all year. Adams is his 8th inning guy. Oliver's experience and with the lefties coming up made sense. It didn't work out this time. I would also have liked to see Lewis pitch into the 7th as well.... pitch count was at 93....I agree with what Tin Cup said....there are just times you just have to go with your gut feeling. Go Rangers!!

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Why don't players bunt away from the shift. I promise Josh Hamilton would be safe every time if he just gets it down passed the pitcher

GrTigers6
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Why don't players bunt away from the shift. I promise Josh Hamilton would be safe every time if he just gets it down passed the pitcherHe tried the other night and it went to the pitcher, I guess thats why, LOL

Tin Cup
10-04-2011, 02:14 PM
He tried the other night and it went to the pitcher, I guess thats why, LOL

The problem with it in game 1 was the score. It would work 60% I bet.

Macarthur
10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Macarthur, don't know why you have to talk like a prison inmate....oh well.

really?

Buckeye1980
10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Everybody wants to criticize Oliver, but was it not Adams who gave up 3 walks, a HR and did not actulally get a batter out, the runner throuwn out trying to steal

GrTigers6
10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
The problem with it in game 1 was the score. It would work 60% I bet.Yeah, he should practice it more

eagleqb_14
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
its all strategy

Tejastrue
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Loved how Wash came right back with Adams in a key spot even though he struggled yesterday, and it was only the 7th....sent a clear message they still have confidence in him.

Pawdaddy
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
That the way baseball go!