PDA

View Full Version : Teams Doing Well and Getting No Love?

Bullaholic
10-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Which teams are doing well and not getting much love?

Sanger...5-0, averaging 50pts./gm.
Decatur...5-0

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Which teams are doing well and not getting much love?

Sanger...5-0, averaging 50pts./gm.
Decatur...5-0

Sanger has been getting love from us on Sideline to Sideline..I still think they can beat Celina first round

coach
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Fairfield

Manso/V8
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Fairfield

I have wondered that myself. I have noticed they remain undefeated, but there is little mention.
I don't know much about the team or who they have played, but no matter what their schedule, a record of 5-0 is a great accomplishment for any team. Congratulations.
Fill us in about what is going on with Fairfield.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
32-3A La Feria Lions (5-0) - But the reason why they haven't gotten much love is because their non-district schedule (though it features a 4A team and a 5A team) is very weak. We'll see what they're really made of the second half of the season.

bigwood33
10-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I think that Decatur is 6-0.
Van doesn't have many posters on the site but they are 5-0 and their defense has been really good. One of the ET faithful might want to weigh in on just how good they are.

YTBulldogs
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Getting no love from around the state from our district:

Gonzales and Sam Houston. Both undefeated. But, their ND schedules I guess holding them back. Understandable. To me, they are legit. Time will tell.

Snotbubbles
10-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Gonzales and Sam Houston. Both undefeated. But, their ND schedules I guess holding them back. Understandable. To me, they are legit. Time will tell.

You can't take Gonzales off the no lov'in list after this Friday. SH will give them plenty of love. BIG BIG hug's and bruises.:inlove:

bigwood33
10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey snotbubbles, did you get the PM I sent you a few days ago?

Snotbubbles
10-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey snotbubbles, did you get the PM I sent you a few days ago?

Sure did bud. I think he had 5 in the game. Man, your son is playing lights out up there I see. Congrats. Keep it up.

bigwood33
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
(-:
Thanks buddy.

Old Tiger
10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
brownwood

Emerson1
10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
North Forney. 4-1 and only loss to a 4A team and averaging 360 rushing ypg.

OldNavy
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I have wondered that myself. I have noticed they remain undefeated, but there is little mention.
I don't know much about the team or who they have played, but no matter what their schedule, a record of 5-0 is a great accomplishment for any team. Congratulations.
Fill us in about what is going on with Fairfield.

Fairfield's schedule has been pretty weak. In fact, Fairfield has Mexia Friday, right? Mexia is 0-5 and Fairfield is 5-0. But I see this as maybe a one or two touchdown win by Fairfield. Fairfields five wins are over teams who have a combined record of 3-21. Mexia's five loses are to teams with a combined redord of 19-5. I think Fairfield can win, but unless Mexia is badly beaten up from a pretty tough schedule, this one is close IMHO.

OldNavy
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Sanger has been getting love from us on Sideline to Sideline..I still think they can beat Celina first round

I think you were saying that last year as well. This could be the year, but I flet like Celina was a little better, more well rounded this year with some good size and speed. Sanger may be better this year as well, but they beat Princeton 45 - 37. Princeton is 3 and 2, with their other loss to Commerce 37-34.

Did Sanger have a bad night against Princeton, or do you think Celina is down this year compaired to last and Sanger is up?

I don't think there is any doubt the two teams meet in the first round. Sanger would have to go off the rails not to make the playoffs and Celina would have to disintegrate! If Celina plays Sanger as well as they played Paris, I don't think Sanger wins. I could be wrong.

While we're at it, Commerce is 6-0 with the same signature win against Princeton that Sanger has and a close 27-24 win over Crandall. They aren't getting any love either.

bigwood33
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Don't drink the "purple" punch. They don't play much defense and haven't shown the ability to stop the run and in case anyone has forgotten, Celina CAN run the rock!

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I think you were saying that last year as well. This could be the year, but I flet like Celina was a little better, more well rounded this year with some good size and speed. Sanger may be better this year as well, but they beat Princeton 45 - 37. Princeton is 3 and 2, their ohter loss to Commerce 37-34.

Did Sanger have a bad night against Princeton, or do you think Celina is down this year compaired to last and Sanger is up?

I don't think there is any doubt the two teams meet in the first round. Sanger would have to go off the rails not to make the playoffs and Celina would have to disintegrate! If Celina plays Sanger as well as they played Paris, I don't think Sanger wins. I could be wrong.

Last year I was saying Sanger would give Celina a game more because Celina was not the Celina of old and I thought Sanger could hurt them in the passing game

Princeton is not a bad team...they lost to two teams a combined 10-1 and by a combined 11 points

OldNavy
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Last year I was saying Sanger would give Celina a game more because Celina was not the Celina of old and I thought Sanger could hurt them in the passing game

Princeton is not a bad team...they lost to two teams a combined 10-1 and by a combined 11 points

Dang, you answered faster than I could edit.
While we're at it, Commerce is 6-0 with the same signature win against Princeton that Sanger has and a close 27-24 win over Crandall. They aren't getting any love either.

3afan
10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Smithville

gatordaze
10-04-2011, 05:24 PM

So you were wrong last year in saying Sanger would give Celina a game because you thought that Sanger would hurt Celina with the pass. The score was 49-7 with 2nd and 3rd teams playing the 4th quarter or it would have been 60-0.

Is your thinking Sanger can beat Celina this year based upon the same logic as last year?

This years Celina team is better than last year and if Sanger is not significantly better the same result is probable.

icu812
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Dang, you answered faster than I could edit.

We crushed Crandall at their house. I'm not sure they had positive yards until the last drive when Van cleared the bench. The top 2 receivers didn't play, the offense turned the ball over a bunch, it rained yellow flags plus it was actually raining. Otherwise it could have been much worse than 34 to 7. I still think Crandall is a playoff team again this year though.

I'm happy to see Commerce and Princeton having a good year. They have had some tough seasons.

OldNavy
10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
We crushed Crandall at their house. I'm not sure they had positive yards until the last drive when Van cleared the bench. The top 2 receivers didn't play, the offense turned the ball over a bunch, it rained yellow flags plus it was actually raining. Otherwise it could have been much worse than 34 to 7. I still think Crandall is a playoff team again this year though.

I'm happy to see Commerce and Princeton having a good year. They have had some tough seasons.

I am glad to see them doing well also, but I don't think those wins equal beating Celina. Celina can lose a game, but to Commerce and Sanger is a stretch unless there is something going on that I am not aware of.

warhorsejoe
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
WARHORSES :sleeping:

HEMOTOXIC
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Smithville

I think many people are not totally sold on the Tigers, yet. After sneaking by Lexington by 6 points, then beating both Wharton (1-5) and Needville (0-6) pretty handily, the Tigers barely beat Columbus (2-4) 23-17. The same Columbus that beat Wharton 43-41. Navasota beat Wharton 54-0. The game wasn't even close after the Rattlers took a 40-0 half time lead. I really don't like to compare scores, but, untill Smithville beats a quality 3A opponent, this is all that we have to go by. If Smithville manages to hang with Rockdale, Giddings, and Navasota in district play( the Tigers play @ Rockdale, then Giddings, and @ Navasota all in a row), I think that they will begin to open more eyes other than their district foes. BTW, the people of the 3A downlow have Smithville ranked in the top 10 in Region III.

eagles_victory
10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Fairfield's schedule has been pretty weak. In fact, Fairfield has Mexia Friday, right? Mexia is 0-5 and Fairfield is 5-0. But I see this as maybe a one or two touchdown win by Fairfield. Fairfields five wins are over teams who have a combined record of 3-21. Mexia's five loses are to teams with a combined redord of 19-5. I think Fairfield can win, but unless Mexia is badly beaten up from a pretty tough schedule, this one is close IMHO. The wheels are off in Mexia from the sounds of it the coach has somewhat lost the program. Fairfield has been good at the skill positions but the focus has seem to be a bit questionable at time. Seems like we have sort of felt entitled and thought we'd dismantle teams just because that is the way it went last year. The line play and front 7 play could be better than it has been, but at the same time we haven't had anything close to a healthy roster all year. Everyone should be back for the start of district and I expect the Eagles to handle Mexia easily unless Mexia has some how made some big changes to their program.

icu812
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I am glad to see them doing well also, but I don't think those wins equal beating Celina. Celina can lose a game, but to Commerce and Sanger is a stretch unless there is something going on that I am not aware of.

I agree but still nice to see them winning games.

icu812
10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
The wheels are off in Mexia from the sounds of it the coach has somewhat lost the program. Fairfield has been good at the skill positions but the focus has seem to be a bit questionable at time. Seems like we have sort of felt entitled and thought we'd dismantle teams just because that is the way it went last year. The line play and front 7 play could be better than it has been, but at the same time we haven't had anything close to a healthy roster all year. Everyone should be back for the start of district and I expect the Eagles to handle Mexia easily unless Mexia has some how made some big changes to their program.

It is hard to believe they fell off so quickly. I watched them play Carthage a couple years ago and they were impressive.

bobcat1
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Sanger has been getting love from us on Sideline to Sideline..I still think they can beat Celina first roundReally? Why so?

eagles_victory
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
It is hard to believe they fell off so quickly. I watched them play Carthage a couple years ago and they were impressive. QB is playing baseball for Baylor running back is at Purdue. A lot of the other good athletes have went back to basketball only.

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
So you were wrong last year in saying Sanger would give Celina a game because you thought that Sanger would hurt Celina with the pass. The score was 49-7 with 2nd and 3rd teams playing the 4th quarter or it would have been 60-0.

Is your thinking Sanger can beat Celina this year based upon the same logic as last year?

This years Celina team is better than last year and if Sanger is not significantly better the same result is probable.

I dont think anywhere have I said Sanger will beat Celina this year..I said Sanger COULD be a darkhorse and I think they can beat them..not saying they will 100% foir sure

R4Editor
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM

WARHORSES :sleeping:

Smithville

AP 3A Poll

9. SA Sam Houston

17. Devine

19. Smithville

regaleagle
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sanger against ANY region 2 D1 team so quickly. I've been touting them all season as a very quality contender with all the pieces in place to make a deep run in the playoffs. It starts with qb Dane Evans, DCTF 3A Coverboy, and he is living up to the expectations. Their rbs Squier & Thomas are an effective one-two punch to compliment the aerial attack. They have 3-4 go to recievers that can all catch and score. A better that good kicking game, and overall team speed makes them dangerous. Their D is improving each week, and as the season progresses, I look for them to improve in that area siginificantly to make the total team package a good one. Just keep an eye on this team and see what happens when we(ARGYLE) play them the last game of the regular season at home. If everyone is healthy, both teams should be undefeated in District play, Argyle 8-1, and Sanger 9-0. We both have very similar teams almost mirroring each other. A different animal than playing Celina, though. But a Sr. qb with Evans ability can make a difference.

CHS_89
10-06-2011, 07:53 AM
I dont think anywhere have I said Sanger will beat Celina this year..I said Sanger COULD be a darkhorse and I think they can beat them..not saying they will 100% foir sure

And I can say the Cowboys MIGHT win the Superbowl this year...

CHS_89
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sanger against ANY region 2 D1 team so quickly. I've been touting them all season as a very quality contender with all the pieces in place to make a deep run in the playoffs. It starts with qb Dane Evans, DCTF 3A Coverboy, and he is living up to the expectations. Their rbs Squier & Thomas are an effective one-two punch to compliment the aerial attack. They have 3-4 go to recievers that can all catch and score. A better that good kicking game, and overall team speed makes them dangerous. Their D is improving each week, and as the season progresses, I look for them to improve in that area siginificantly to make the total team package a good one. Just keep an eye on this team and see what happens when we(ARGYLE) play them the last game of the regular season at home. If everyone is healthy, both teams should be undefeated in District play, Argyle 8-1, and Sanger 9-0. We both have very similar teams almost mirroring each other. A different animal than playing Celina, though. But a Sr. qb with Evans ability can make a difference.

Nice write up Regal...Enjoyed reading it.

BILLYFRED0000
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM

You know Gator. I think I agree. We look a little stronger than last year IMHO. I was surprised but that was a pleasant surprise.
A lot of young men stepping up..... I like Sanger a lot but the secondary is faster this year and the O is playing good ball control with the capability of the big strike when we need it. We look a little more dangerous and unpredictable.

Manso/V8
10-06-2011, 10:46 PM
AP 3A Poll

9. SA Sam Houston

17. Devine

19. Smithville

Is the AP poll updated weekly? Where is it posted?

OldNavy
10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/football-news/rankings/20111003-ap-state-poll-coppell-martin-fall-out-southlake-carroll-moves-up.ece

Also, Prosper has two pretty big wins against Bridgeport and Argyle and the AP still has Argyle at 10th in state and Prosper tied at 20th. That's not much love.

44INAROW
10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
AP 3A Poll

9. SA Sam Houston

17. Devine

19. Smithville

oh what a difference a few years makes :crazy:

OldNavy
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
AP 3A Poll

9. SA Sam Houston

17. Devine

19. Smithville

I am afraid the AP does not do well with rankings especially below the top 5 or 10. Look at Prosper's strength of schedule and their signature wins and look at Devine that has played some of the weakest teams in the sate. Prosper would demolish Devine. Devine could prove me wrong if they were to beat Hondo, but I don't think there is any way that happens. So, some love is just blind.

Snotbubbles
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
oh what a difference a few years makes :crazy:

Ya'll had a nice run though 44. Takes a few years when you change offense and go to the LH type running offense. You'll be back in a couple years when you get this new system down. I was amazed when BG61 stated the Gobs went to the LH style offense.

Manso/V8
10-07-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/football-news/rankings/20111003-ap-state-poll-coppell-martin-fall-out-southlake-carroll-moves-up.ece

Also, Prosper has two pretty big wins against Bridgeport and Argyle and the AP still has Argyle at 10th in state and Prosper tied at 20th. That's not much love.

Thanks for the link. This AP poll Texas HS poll is probably the only thing I know exists that I haven't been able to find using Google!

As a novice 3adl'er, I need some education......The Dallas Morning News shows the AP top 10 and mentions other teams that received votes. Where are yall getting the rankings beyond 10? Is the AP poll strictly sports writers or do coaches participate?

How do yall rate the AP poll compared to the Dave Campbell's Texas Football Rankings? Is the DCTF rankings done by their own staff or with outside input? Is there a ranking done by theOldCoach? How do you rate that ranking system?

MaxPreps has rankings, but it seems out of whack.

When comparing two teams like Argyle and Prosper, I think input from coaches that have played both teams and have probably studied several game films would provide good insight. Maybe the sportswriters have those conversations?

regaleagle
10-07-2011, 01:14 PM
IMO, Prosper is a team that will be hard to beat, unless qb Javelle Allen has a bad game. Same thing with Argyle. If Aune is off, Argyle will have a tough time winning. The difference is the D. I think the Prosper D is more suspect against the passing game. Argyle will pressure a passing qb and have a very good secondary. A big O line that run blocks could be problematic for Argyle if their qb is also a great runner. We will know more about Prosper after tonite's game against Lovejoy. Shut down Allen, and you shut down Prosper. Argyle never did that. I think Coach Rodgers will agree with me and we will beat Prosper in a rematch by shutting down their qb. Problem is, he's not that easy to get to. And he can throw it. Prosper is a very good football team, no question.

Snotbubbles
10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the link. This AP poll Texas HS poll is probably the only thing I know exists that I haven't been able to find using Google!

As a novice 3adl'er, I need some education......The Dallas Morning News shows the AP top 10 and mentions other teams that received votes. Where are yall getting the rankings beyond 10? Is the AP poll strictly sports writers or do coaches participate?

How do yall rate the AP poll compared to the Dave Campbell's Texas Football Rankings? Is the DCTF rankings done by their own staff or with outside input? Is there a ranking done by theOldCoach? How do you rate that ranking system?

MaxPreps has rankings, but it seems out of whack.

When comparing two teams like Argyle and Prosper, I think input from coaches that have played both teams and have probably studied several game films would provide good insight. Maybe the sportswriters have those conversations?

90% is based on the coaches tooting their own horn. How many times have you seen Harris or Campbell rep's at your games?

Leopard4Life
10-07-2011, 04:36 PM
IMO, Prosper is a team that will be hard to beat, unless qb Javelle Allen has a bad game. Same thing with Argyle. If Aune is off, Argyle will have a tough time winning. The difference is the D. I think the Prosper D is more suspect against the passing game. Argyle will pressure a passing qb and have a very good secondary. A big O line that run blocks could be problematic for Argyle if their qb is also a great runner. We will know more about Prosper after tonite's game against Lovejoy. Shut down Allen, and you shut down Prosper. Argyle never did that. I think Coach Rodgers will agree with me and we will beat Prosper in a rematch by shutting down their qb. Problem is, he's not that easy to get to. And he can throw it. Prosper is a very good football team, no question.

Lovejoy has struggled against good option QB's all season. Aune and Paris's QB gave them fits and got a lot of LONG 3rd down conversions. Lovejoy did a great job on HSAA's mobile QB, problem is that Javelle Allen will be behind Prosper's O-line and not HSAA's. Lovejoy will really have to step up tonight. We have been banged up all season and some injured players are starting to get healthy so I don't know how this is going to go. Prosper has two losses against quality teams and so does Lovejoy, but Lovejoy has given up way to many points this season. If Prosper rolls Lovejoy then they take the district and walk into the playoffs (pending no injury to Allen). Shoud be a really good game tonight. I know Lovejoy fans will be out in mass.

If Aune and the receivers where off their passing game I wonder how Prosper's secondary is. Sounds like their D-line gets after the QB. How did their run defense look? Argyle likes to air it out and Lovejoy has gone to a much more run oriented offense.

Kick off in about 2 1/2 hours...

OldNavy
10-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Fairfield's schedule has been pretty weak. In fact, Fairfield has Mexia Friday, right? Mexia is 0-5 and Fairfield is 5-0. But I see this as maybe a one or two touchdown win by Fairfield. Fairfields five wins are over teams who have a combined record of 3-21. Mexia's five loses are to teams with a combined redord of 19-5. I think Fairfield can win, but unless Mexia is badly beaten up from a pretty tough schedule, this one is close IMHO.

My humble opinion was wrong. Fairfield beat Mexia 33-3, not as close as I thought it might be. Still this win over a 0-6 team doesn't justify moving theim into the top 25 in my mind. However, 6-0 is good and something to build on. Keep it up through 6 or 7 more games and you will get lots of love.:inlove:

eagles_victory
10-08-2011, 09:50 AM
My humble opinion was wrong. Fairfield beat Mexia 33-3, not as close as I thought it might be. Still this win over a 0-6 team doesn't justify moving theim into the top 25 in my mind. However, 6-0 is good and something to build on. Keep it up through 6 or 7 more games and you will get lots of love.:inlove: It was a little closer than the final score indicated. Fairfield defense played a nice game creating turnovers until the rushing game got hot.

OldNavy
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Lovejoy has struggled against good option QB's all season. Aune and Paris's QB gave them fits and got a lot of LONG 3rd down conversions. Lovejoy did a great job on HSAA's mobile QB, problem is that Javelle Allen will be behind Prosper's O-line and not HSAA's. Lovejoy will really have to step up tonight. We have been banged up all season and some injured players are starting to get healthy so I don't know how this is going to go. Prosper has two losses against quality teams and so does Lovejoy, but Lovejoy has given up way to many points this season. If Prosper rolls Lovejoy then they take the district and walk into the playoffs (pending no injury to Allen). Shoud be a really good game tonight. I know Lovejoy fans will be out in mass.

If Aune and the receivers where off their passing game I wonder how Prosper's secondary is. Sounds like their D-line gets after the QB. How did their run defense look? Argyle likes to air it out and Lovejoy has gone to a much more run oriented offense.

Kick off in about 2 1/2 hours...

Now that you've seen Prosper, what do you think?

regaleagle
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I think with 1200+ students, twice the size of the Argyles & Celinas of 3A, Prosper is getting ready for 4A ball next year. That's what I think. They have some good athletes, and should for their school size. They will be formidable from here on out, but not impossible to beat.

bigwood33
10-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Maybe the sportswriters have those conversations?
The AP is a joke but always fun to look at and talk about. As an example, I have seen Wylie HS be ranked in the top 10 of 5A when they only win 3 or 4 games because the idiots that vote in the AP poll think that Abilene Wylie is the same as Wylie HS.

Dave Campbell's used to use the Padilla Poll (South Texas Guy) but I think I heard that they changed to something else and I'm not sure these days.

The OldCoach has some potential as a poll but I would have to take a look at how the season ends up vs the poll starting with about week 5 as it should take about that long to let things settle.

In my opinion the best and most accurate poll is the Harris Rating System. It has been around since 1960 and and really does a nice job. Almost every HC in Texas is a subscriber.

5wide
10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Decatur gets no love due to the down seasons they've had the past couple of years.

Leopard4Life
10-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Now that you've seen Prosper, what do you think?

Prosper looked great. Only a fraction of their TD’s were from well executed plays. Javelle Allen’s running and scrambling changed everything. He is huge, athletic and can be running full-tilt then stop on a dime and accelerate back to full speed in 2-3 steps. I don’t know how he ended up transferring from Humble to Prosper, but Prosper is a different beast with him at the helm. Their receivers (especially the Hunter brothers) all run good routes and get open behind the defense on broken plays.

There O-Line is big and does a good job of protecting the QB, they seem a little better at Pass protection than they are at opening holes for the backs to run through.

There were some horrible non-calls and spots by the officials, most of which were against Lovejoy and Prosper didn’t need the help. Prosper was FAST on both sides of the ball, it was especially noticeable on defense where they would all close on the ball fast. Even if we broke one tackle 5 more defenders were there in a hurry.

The biggest whole was on special teams. Lovejoy almost ran several back and had multiple 50 + yard returns.

Lovejoy’s secondary is a mess and I’m not sure how well Prosper will be able to execute against a faster more disciplined secondary.

The 55-21 score wasn’t even that close. 14 of Lovejoy’s points came when Prosper brought in the backups and the Lovejoy starters had their way with them. One offense Prosper never called off the dogs until the final series. I think their backup’s attempted one offensive play then downed the ball twice.

Prosper may not get much love in the press or the polls because the rest of their schedule is pretty weak. They do have the tools to make a lot of noise in the D2 playoffs. All 1260.5 students. Open Enrollment has really grown Prosper a lot.

Leopard4Life
10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I think with 1200+ students, twice the size of the Argyles & Celinas of 3A, Prosper is getting ready for 4A ball next year. That's what I think. They have some good athletes, and should for their school size. They will be formidable from here on out, but not impossible to beat.

All three schools have about a 150 boys in their football program, however I agree that Prosper has a larger pool of possible athlete's. Prosper will roll the rest of the regular season, but come playoff time they will be tested.