PDA

View Full Version : Giddings at La Grange

ExScoop
10-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Buffaloes shouldn't have any trouble with the Leopards who have only 1 win-Big rivarly game
Game will be broadcast at http://www.kvlgkbuk.com/

1st and goal
10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't know what to say since last week's disaster in Bellville. I was thinking the Leps could hang in there and keep it close. Sounds like they got out played and out coached.

District kind of wipes the preseason slate clean. Can the Leps pull it together at home? I don't think so for the whole game. I just want to get past LG without any injuries. They got some big boys down there. But so do we.

Pudlugger
10-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm not making excuses for the Lep's poor performance against Bellville. I don't think the Leps could have beaten the Brahmas even if 3 of the best defensive players and o lineman hadn't been held out until the second half or if the starting rb #40 hadn't been out with an injury. Bellville is just a lights out team right now and if they continue on this level will go very far. Our team's morale may be down after the shellacking they took in The Pasture of Pain plus the disciplinary actions going into that game. :crying: Hopefully the Leps will have everyone ready to play this Friday. Giddings is always the big game for the Leps and they have owned us for 8 years. I hope the coaches get these guys ready because the Buffaloes are very strong this year as usual.

buff4ever
10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Giddings should win this game with ease, however, going to LG in a rivalry type game as this one, you never know. A few years ago, LG jumped all over us in LG in first half, then we came back in wild fashion and pulled it off. Will be a fun night I am sure, I expect though giddings to win by 21.

Then maybe pud will say that we are great and headed to deep in the playoffs like every other team that has beat them this year:stirpot: just having fun with you pud, it is all good.

Pudlugger
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
All I said is that the Buffs are a strong team this year as usual. The Leps will need to turn things around fast or they will get spanked again this Friday. So far they are in disarray and appear to be unprepared even though it is now mid season. No excuses this week. Sure hope the coaches figure out what the problem is and get things back on track fast as we are in district now and appear woefully unprepared. Buff4ever is having a lot of fun making snarky remarks about the Leps and my support for this team. He probably hasn't been around this board long enough to remember when the Leps owned Giddings(1999-2002). In 2001 we beat them twice, once in pre-district then in the semifinal to go to state. Come to think of it when was the last time Giddings went to state or won state? Maybe Buff4ever can look that up. We are down this year but not out. Go Leps!

trojandad
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
All I said is that the Buffs are a strong team this year as usual. The Leps will need to turn things around fast or they will get spanked again this Friday. So far they are in disarray and appear to be unprepared even though it is now mid season. No excuses this week. Sure hope the coaches figure out what the problem is and get things back on track fast as we are in district now and appear woefully unprepared. Buff4ever is having a lot of fun making snarky remarks about the Leps and my support for this team. He probably hasn't been around this board long enough to remember when the Leps owned Giddings(1999-2002). In 2001 we beat them twice, once in pre-district then in the semifinal to go to state. Come to think of it when was the last time Giddings went to state or won state? Maybe Buff4ever can look that up. We are down this year but not out. Go Leps!

ill tell you what (as the cable guy would say) one can like lagrange or not, but ill take about 100 pudluggers rooting for my team....he is NO fair weather fan....:cheerl:

buff4ever
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
We only have one state title back in '51. In recent years we have made the semifinals 3 times (1998, 2001, 2008 or 9 i think 8). You did own us for 3 or 4 years, but we owned for 3 or 4 out of 5 before that, and the last 8 years about to be 9, do you really want to talk about the past?

I respect your support for your team, and I respect your attitude and you as a poster. SOMETIMES, you just tend to go a little far or over the top. It makes it fun to pick at. Like I said, if we can't pick at each other and have fun with a little smack talk on this board, especially giddings/lg, then what are we here for. This is for fun and entertainment, it has no effect on the games or the outcomes.

hookandladder
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
We only have one state title back in '51. In recent years we have made the semifinals 3 times (1998, 2001, 2008 or 9 i think 8). You did own us for 3 or 4 years, but we owned for 3 or 4 out of 5 before that, and the last 8 years about to be 9, do you really want to talk about the past?

I respect your support for your team, and I respect your attitude and you as a poster. SOMETIMES, you just tend to go a little far or over the top. It makes it fun to pick at. Like I said, if we can't pick at each other and have fun with a little smack talk on this board, especially giddings/lg, then what are we here for. This is for fun and entertainment, it has no effect on the games or the outcomes.

Well La Grange is 1- 4 this year, I was feeling a little better after the Sealy game however we took a major step backwards last week. I know most have already counted us out but bottom line is we need to win 3 out of the last 5 games to make the playoffs, pretty sure we all know which 3 games we can win. No doubt things have to change in our team to even think about making the playoffs, it is now or never. Some Giddings are just like the aggies, thinking that beating a rivilry team is what makes their season. Here in La Grange like the Longhorns we like to win State championships, Football,Baseball, Softball. Also pretty sure Giddings was 1 and BBQ the last 2 years in the playoffs, so I would say it was not 2009.

Pudlugger
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
We only have one state title back in '51.

LOL 1951? When they wore little leather helmets and no facemasks? What ? 60 years ago? Who's living in the past LOL?

1st and goal
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
ill tell you what (as the cable guy would say) one can like lagrange or not, but ill take about 100 pudluggers rooting for my team....he is NO fair weather fan....:cheerl:

Pud is a great person (even though he roots for the Leps). Hey everybody has at least one glaring fault.:stirpot::1popcorn::)

buff4ever
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=Pudlugger;1615993]LOL 1951? When they wore little leather helmets and no facemasks? What ? 60 years ago? Who's living in the past LOL?[/QUOTE

You asked, and you received, I am not living in the past, you were the one asking. I think to live in the present you will get beat and remain with one 6 point victory, and we will have 5 victorys.:wave:

Put that in your pipe.:)

I don't want people to think I don't like pud, I really do, he is just so easy to pick at. I mean I wonder how many cylinders LG will be hitting on in this game, and how that compares to the Bellville game. If LG upsets us, then I will just get on here and say that they are on their way to state, and maybe that will pick our guys back up.

trojandad
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Pud is a great person (even though he roots for the Leps). Hey everybody has at least one glaring fault.:stirpot::1popcorn::)

i wish i had just one DOZEN glaring faults.....

hookandladder
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Pudlugger;1615993]LOL 1951? When they wore little leather helmets and no facemasks? What ? 60 years ago? Who's living in the past LOL?[/QUOTE

You asked, and you received, I am not living in the past, you were the one asking. I think to live in the present you will get beat and remain with one 6 point victory, and we will have 5 victorys.:wave:

Put that in your pipe.:)

I don't want people to think I don't like pud, I really do, he is just so easy to pick at. I mean I wonder how many cylinders LG will be hitting on in this game, and how that compares to the Bellville game. If LG upsets us, then I will just get on here and say that they are on their way to state, and maybe that will pick our guys back up.

If you guys lose to us there will be no need for anybody to pick you up because you will be sitting at home for the playoffs, if you cannot beat us just think what the rest of the teams will do to you.

Pudlugger
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Some changes I'd like to see Friday:
More Spread offense- make use of our Qbs strong arm and O line pass protection. Also, pick up the secondary receivers who often are open.
#40 carrying the rock. Hopefully back from injury.
#75 on defense- along with #76 and mlb #11 should stop up the middle
Time for some interceptions. None so far this season IIRC.
More of #5 on kick returns- made some good ones last week. #22 as well
No turnovers or penalties, or at least much fewer of them please.
Onsides kick...just because we can
More confidence all around. You guys are better than that 1-4 record.
A win to break the 8 year drought
Go Leps!

jrhernandez7
10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I have Giddings in this one, but in this game anything can happened so the buffs better be on upset alert. a la grange win could quickly turn around the leps season and smithville's best interest in the playoff picture is a buff win. we don't want them geting remotely hott anytime soon so I say Buffalo win by 10

Bull's-eye
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Then maybe pud will say that we are great and headed to deep in the playoffs like every other team that has beat them this year:stirpot: just having fun with you pud, it is all good.

Reading between the lines.........there is a "Bellville Sucks" in that post. LOL

Giddings by 21+

Buff42
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I have Giddings in this one, but in this game anything can happened so the buffs better be on upset alert. a la grange win could quickly turn around the leps season and smithville's best interest in the playoff picture is a buff win. we don't want them geting remotely hott anytime soon so I say Buffalo win by 10

Smithville is the team that worries the buffalo crap out of me in District this year. I see a possible scenario where LG gets the upset this week and Smithville sneaks up on us coupled with a loss to Navasota and all of a sudden, we're sitting at home come playoff time. I don't want that to happen, but it's a possibility (same thing with Smithville happened to the '83 Buffs in a 7-6 G-Town loss). Bottom line: Smithville and LG are MUST wins for the Buffs!

ExScoop
10-04-2011, 12:40 AM
La Grange is 42-38-7 against Giddings if this website is correct
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1542&B=1029&REC=42-38-7&S=

Buff42
10-04-2011, 07:09 AM
La Grange is 42-38-7 against Giddings if this website is correct
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1542&B=1029&REC=42-38-7&S=

Sounds about right.........

1st and goal
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Smithville is the team that worries the buffalo crap out of me in District this year. I see a possible scenario where LG gets the upset this week and Smithville sneaks up on us coupled with a loss to Navasota and all of a sudden, we're sitting at home come playoff time. I don't want that to happen, but it's a possibility (same thing with Smithville happened to the '83 Buffs in a 7-6 G-Town loss). Bottom line: Smithville and LG are MUST wins for the Buffs!

Yes, Smithville is a dark horse team that we should worry about....but right now...I'm worried about the officiating down in LG.:stirpot:

hookandladder
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, Smithville is a dark horse team that we should worry about....but right now...I'm worried about the officiating down in LG.:stirpot:

Yes, you should be for sure.

HEMOTOXIC
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM

All this time, I thought that the Rattlers were the only ones to have problems with officials at La Grange.:thumbsup:

buff4ever
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
But Bellville is the ones with that good ole home cooking.:) bullseye knows what I am talking about

teetle
10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Pud, there bes alots of things thats i bes wanting the Tigeres to does. Likes scores more points. Donts lets de other teams score. Thats likes a turd in ones hand and hopes ins another. Which ones weighs the sames. Good Luck, I wills be pullins for the Leps. Buts, I beleives thats the Buffalos too much for the Leps.:ack!::eek::crazy:

Pudlugger
10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Pud, there bes alots of things thats i bes wanting the Tigeres to does. Likes scores more points. Donts lets de other teams score. Thats likes a turd in ones hand and hopes ins another. Which ones weighs the sames. Good Luck, I wills be pullins for the Leps. Buts, I beleives thats the Buffalos too much for the Leps.:ack!::eek::crazy:

Teetle you are a great philosopher. I know"if wishes were horses we all would ride". Nonetheless, I wish the Leps well Friday.:)

buff4ever
10-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Hook leave the Bellville peeps alone, and talk some smack on this game or about your coach's scheme. You will never agree with the bellville people b/c you want them to agree with you and they want you to say you are wrong. You are both as stubborn as the other, so you will never work it out.

Giddings by as much as they want, and that is smack talk given the rivalry is usually closer than it should be sometimes (both ways)

Pudlugger
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Giddings by as much as they want, and that is smack talk given the rivalry is usually closer than it should be sometimes (both ways)

Wow! pretty confident their Buff4ever. I guess everyone except Hook and I have pretty much written off the Leps this year. Maybe we should just forget about playing the game and give the Buffs a 60 point win. :taunt:Go Leps!:twitch::cheerl:

LHS 2SONS
10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Wow! pretty confident their Buff4ever. I guess everyone except Hook and I have pretty much written off the Leps this year. Maybe we should just forget about playing the game and give the Buffs a 60 point win. :taunt:Go Leps!:twitch::cheerl:

Hey Pud, i am still here, not giving up on the Leps, but do not know what to say this year. This year's Team is definetly not playing together as the 2009 Team. Just as many athletes, just cant find a way to gel together. We have 5 games left and you never know what can happen.
GATA! GO LEPS!

Bull's-eye
10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
LG will have to make some major improvements on the defensive side of the ball to stop Giddings. Besides the Caldwell game, Bellville had their highest total yards against the Leps. Hook points out that LG held a good Columbia team to a little over 200 yards, but a closer look at the stats may show why this wasn't as impressive as it may first appear.
Columbia scored one TD on a 71 yd fumble return & another TD on a blocked punt. With their defense & special teams scoring points, the Columbia offense was limited in their time on the field. Columbia did rush for nearly a 5 yd average, but only 32 attempts. In our game against Needville, we scored the first 14 pts off of turnovers & had only 1 offensive play for 5 yards during that initial stretch of the game.

Pudlugger
10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Bulls-eye I agree we will need to make some changes and improve on defense to hang with Giddings. I don't know if the folks in Bellville knew that our coach held out 3 of our best defensive players for the first half when the Bulls ran up 34 points on us(a safety, mlb and our big DT). [it was all over a rather petty discipline thing that imo could have been handled with running 3 miles after practice.] That hurt the team's moral and they were clearly off their game and not ready to play a team of Bellville's caliber. Now we go into our traditional rivalry game with Giddings at home. Hopefully the players can put all this behind them and come together for 48 minutes of good football. I expect our D to be much more solid this week with everyone back and no issues.

hookandladder
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Hook leave the Bellville peeps alone, and talk some smack on this game or about your coach's scheme. You will never agree with the bellville people b/c you want them to agree with you and they want you to say you are wrong. You are both as stubborn as the other, so you will never work it out.

I do not care if they or you agree with me on anything, they just asked me how I think they would stack up against Sealy and I gave my opinion. No if's and's or but's about this week, it is time for our team to step up. Everyone has pretty much written us off, after our game with Lockhart I knew there was a good chance we would be 1 and 4 going into District. That is where we are, I did not expect us to play that bad against Bellville but sh_ t happens. I still feel at the end of this season we are going to be playing for a playoff spot, maybe it will work to our advantage that most people think we are done. And as you say Giddings still Sux.

1st and goal
10-05-2011, 12:34 PM
If I didn't have young kids, I'd suggest a tailgate party meet and greet in Winchester...But alas, I'm currently trying to find a baby sitter so I can even make it to the game.

Did the BBQ place north of the hospital close?

hookandladder
10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
If I didn't have young kids, I'd suggest a tailgate party meet and greet in Winchester...But alas, I'm currently trying to find a baby sitter so I can even make it to the game.

I am pretty sure the BBQ place did close, Tailgate and drinks will be at my house. We only MotorHome Tailgate on away games, Navasota will be next.

Buff42
10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

I highly recommend La Marina. Great food. It's on the west end of town on Business 71. We go there almost every Friday night when it's not football season.

hookandladder
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I highly recommend La Marina. Great food. It's on the west end of town on Business 71. We go there almost every Friday night when it's not football season.

La Marina is at the old Cottonwood Inn Restaurant, Cream Chicken enchiladas. Can't go wrong.

Manso/V8
10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Bulls-eye I agree we will need to make some changes and improve on defense to hang with Giddings. I don't know if the folks in Bellville knew that our coach held out 3 of our best defensive players for the first half when the Bulls ran up 34 points on us(a safety, mlb and our big DT). [it was all over a rather petty discipline thing that imo could have been handled with running 3 miles after practice.] That hurt the team's moral and they were clearly off their game and not ready to play a team of Bellville's caliber. Now we go into our traditional rivalry game with Giddings at home. Hopefully the players can put all this behind them and come together for 48 minutes of good football. I expect our D to be much more solid this week with everyone back and no issues.

I vaguely recall a post about a LG mlb/fb being out with an ankle sprain or something similar.
If so, is that player back and ready to roll?

Best of luck to both teams for a clean, hard fought, injury free game.
We'll be looking forward to an honest assessment of the competition and the teams after the game......if yall (La Grange and Giddings posters) are still willing to talk to one another!

About home cookin', I still hear talk about a very controversial call several years back during a Bellville at Giddings game that had playoff implications..........it was a late offsides flag on Bellville after the Brahmas recovered an onside kick in the final minutes of the game. Maybe I'm just imagining or remembering it the way I want to, but I guess refs make mistakes up there too!

hookandladder
10-05-2011, 04:09 PM
I vaguely recall a post about a LG mlb/fb being out with an ankle sprain or something similar.
If so, is that player back and ready to roll?

Best of luck to both teams for a clean, hard fought, injury free game.
We'll be looking forward to an honest assessment of the competition and the teams after the game......if yall (La Grange and Giddings posters) are still willing to talk to one another!

About home cookin', I still hear talk about a very controversial call several years back during a Bellville at Giddings game that had playoff implications..........it was a late offsides flag on Bellville after the Brahmas recovered an onside kick in the final minutes of the game. Maybe I'm just imagining or remembering it the way I want to, but I guess refs make mistakes up there too!

There were no injuries involved ,all three players played the second half of the Bellville game . Our punter did not play against Bellville and will not be back on the team this year most likely. Our TE did roll his angle during the 1st quarter , he missed practice Monday but is good to go. We were missing our leading rusher against Bellville with an angle injury however he is also good to go this week. No excuses, just play ball.

Bull's-eye
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I would also like a honest assessment of the competition & this game. Since Bellville hasn't played a top notch schedule, comparing common opponents gives us some idea of where we stand. LG has played the likes of Lockhart & Sealy, but also their game with 8th ranked W. Columbia piqued my interest. Now that we have played LG, curious to see what they do against a very good Giddings team.

1st and goal
10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I would also like a honest assessment of the competition & this game. Since Bellville hasn't played a top notch schedule, comparing common opponents gives us some idea of where we stand. LG has played the likes of Lockhart & Sealy, but also their game with 8th ranked W. Columbia piqued my interest. Now that we have played LG, curious to see what they do against a very good Giddings team.

It will likely happen that we will face the LG team that has decided to finally run on all 8 cylinders....

I remember the come from behind game a few years back in LG. Our player, Dock, was run totally ragged playing both sides of the ball and special teams. He was set to receive a punt and when the ball was punted all eyes were on him...He puked his brains out. Poor guy. One of the students in the band decided he'd had enough and took it upon himself to rally the whole crowd. It was awesome as the team responded and we ended up winning after being something like 21 points down.

Pudlugger
10-06-2011, 08:04 AM
The old Bon Ton off the first HWY 71 exit out on West Travis across from McDonald's is now Land Sea Restaurant. Best Gumbo and Po'Boys this side of Galveston. I highly recommend this place.

jrhernandez7
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
with my tigers in Caldwell an what SHOULD be a very winnable game and LG just 15min away I am contemplating making the short trip over and seeing the talent level an just how my tigers compare to both the Buffalo an leps. it will be my first warda bowl game so I'm hoping for a good one!!

buff4ever
10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
most of them are, even when they may not should be. I think the buffalos win this game by 21, but it is giddings and la grange.

hookandladder
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
One thing I am praying to lose is the coin toss to start the game, I do not understand why would want to win the toss and defer til the second half. With our kicking game, one of two things are mostly likely to happen. We will give Giddings a short field to work with and if we do hold them most likely we will start our first drive deep in our own territory, this makes no sense to me. I understand about getting the ball first in the second half however you still put to much pressure on your defense and offense in the first quarter, let's take the ball and score or pin them deep in their territory. Just my 2 cents.

Pudlugger
10-06-2011, 06:24 PM
It has been common practice for teams to defer for several years. If you have a stout defense and good kick return coverage it works to your favor. The receiving team gets the ball first and has to deal with the butterflies...probability is higher for illegal procedure penalties, fumbles and missed blocking assignments in hs ball. Along the same lines, the defense has an opportunity to gain the momentum and give the ball to their offense with confidence if they can get a quick 3 and out stop. Of course all this is lost if your defense caves and the other team scores. The Leps have been much sounder on defense in their first 4 games. In the last one they played without their starting mlb, dt and safety in the first half so it was not such a good idea to defer and give Bellville the opportunity to gain momentum(scoring 20 points in 6 minutes).[I guess our brainiacs who made that call wish they could have a mulligan.] When our offense can string three first downs together on a single drive with some consistency, then, sure, go for it. I hope they can get to that point soon, say Friday night for example. Go Leps.

buff4ever
10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Let's get it on!

Manso/V8
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
It has been common practice for teams to defer for several years. If you have a stout defense and good kick return coverage it works to your favor. The receiving team gets the ball first and has to deal with the butterflies...probability is higher for illegal procedure penalties, fumbles and missed blocking assignments in hs ball. Along the same lines, the defense has an opportunity to gain the momentum and give the ball to their offense with confidence if they can get a quick 3 and out stop. Of course all this is lost if your defense caves and the other team scores. The Leps have been much sounder on defense in their first 4 games. In the last one they played without their starting mlb, dt and safety in the first half so it was not such a good idea to defer and give Bellville the opportunity to gain momentum(scoring 20 points in 6 minutes).[I guess our brainiacs who made that call wish they could have a mulligan.] When our offense can string three first downs together on a single drive with some consistency, then, sure, go for it. I hope they can get to that point soon, say Friday night for example. Go Leps.

The decision to defer should be a game by game decision, based on both team's strengths/weaknesses, and the weather conditions. It often comes off as a playing "not to lose" coaching style rather than a playing to win coaching style.

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
The decision to defer should be a game by game decision, based on both team's strengths/weaknesses, and the weather conditions. It often comes off as a playing "not to lose" coaching style rather than a playing to win coaching style.

I agree. If you think your defense is capable of a stop early then it makes sense. If the opposing team's defense looks weak and your offense rocks then go with offense. It's about seizing the momentum early.

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM

That is what I am talking about, yes our offense has been struggling but we you start your first drive deep in your own territory your hands are tied on what you can call. Definitely agree it should be based on game to game,hey but I am just an armchair coach. Game Day is On.

buff4ever
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I am growing more and more confident by the hour. Heard the JV game was a good game last night. Your JV may be about as good as your varsity, b/c our JV is pretty salty.

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
What was the outcome of the jv game?

Roughneck93
10-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Big rivalry game between the two. I don't see LG putting up enough points to win this one. Buffs by 17.

gtownfan
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
What was the outcome of the jv game?

jv score was Giddings 14-6
freshman score was Giddings 28-7

1st and goal
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Yah, our JV is really good. Not sure how they lost to Lavernia??? Does anyone know?

I am ready! Gameday! I'm driving the backroads down to LG in case the locals put out spike strips on the highway to try and keep us out...:stirpot:

Hummmm....Bullpen....or....Murphys.....decisions, decisions.....

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I am growing more and more confident by the hour. Heard the JV game was a good game last night. Your JV may be about as good as your varsity, b/c our JV is pretty salty.

Yes, our sophomore class is very talented , also 4 sophomore start on Varsity and one freshmen who I was told is starting at TB tonight. I hope our JV is not as good as our Varsity, maybe we should scrimmage them to find out who really wants to play. It has been one of those years, hoping tonight we start playing to win.

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Hook #5 can fly. He had some excellent kick returns last week. If he stays low and hits the hole fast he can break one for the distance. I expect #40 will get plenty of touches too. The Leps should be healthy and ready to play tonight. Here's to a clean injury free game with 48 minutes of solid Lep football. Go Leps!

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I got a feeling we gonna air it out tonight, 30 plus passes.Just a guess.

birdie
10-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Giddings 28 la grange 7 2nd quarters

birdie
10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
35 21 giddings half time

Brahma84
10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
38-35 Giddings with 10:00 left in the 4th.

jrhernandez7
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
wow!!! sounds like a great warda bowl!! i sure am kicking my self for not making this one!!

Brahma84
10-07-2011, 10:36 PM
final 38-35 Giddings

gameface
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Great game. Both ball clubs played all out. No flukes. Talent vs. talent. Respectful rivalry. Both teams worthy of playoffs. Stats don't lie, view AA Statesman manana. Anyone's game, esp. LG despite big breaking plays of G-town. Tonight's performance of LG validated our depth on both sides of ball. I'm a believer that defense wins games, however, our offense finally showed up allowing the defense to balance energies unlike most of the season. Proud of mighty leopards heart, fight and solid play. Congrat's to Buff fans-good earn!

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Tough one to lose after coming all the way back from 21-0 in the first quarter. The offense and defense both played well tonight we just lost it on special teams. Two kickoff returns for tds just put us out of reach for the win. On a positive note our receivers ran good routes and made some crucial receptions and our running game picked up the pace to keep their defense off balance. Giddings is a very good team and they get the win. The Leps showed what they are capable of and if they can continue to improve they should win some games in district. Overall a well played exciting game with few penalties and no turnovers by the Leps. Go Leps, get ready for the Snake Pit.

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Damn 1st quarter did us in, Giddings scored only a FG in second half. Our offense played better tonight, the spread made a world of difference. LG just kids just amaze me with their heart and desire , to come out this week after everything that happened last week and to be down 21 points in the first quarter and still have a chance to win it. The talent on the Giddings sideline is just scary, LG continues to compete with very few skilled players. My hat is off to the coaches and players for coming to play, now let's continue to improve each week.

Buff42
10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Terrible case of home cooking by the refs at the of the game in LG's favor as we were trying to run the clock out. Not that it should shock anyone.

Oh, and I won't mention any names, but one of the LG offensive linemen played one of the dirtiest games I have ever seen. He was either holding or tackling our D end on damn near every play.

At least they didn't turn out the lights before everyone safely got out of the stands this year. Be thankful for small wonders, I guess.

Roughneck93
10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Damn 1st quarter did us in, Giddings scored only a FG in second half. Our offense played better tonight, the spread made a world of difference. LG just kids just amaze me with their heart and desire , to come out this week after everything that happened last week and to be down 21 points in the first quarter and still have a chance to win it. The talent on the Giddings sideline is just scary, LG continues to compete with very few skilled players. My hat is off to the coaches and players for coming to play, now let's continue to improve each week.So you guys went back to the spread? IMO, y'all should have never went away from it.

jrhernandez7
10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
id say calm down LG, a loss is a loss there is no moral wins in district play. and to a outsider looking in this tells me more about giddings than LG. Giddings has rarely been tested and lost one of those game to elgin witch is showing there realy not all that. This game will be a confidence booster for LG but im going with the rivalry making this close!

Buff42
10-07-2011, 11:05 PM
One thing I am praying to lose is the coin toss to start the game, I do not understand why would want to win the toss and defer til the second half. With our kicking game, one of two things are mostly likely to happen. We will give Giddings a short field to work with and if we do hold them most likely we will start our first drive deep in our own territory, this makes no sense to me. I understand about getting the ball first in the second half however you still put to much pressure on your defense and offense in the first quarter, let's take the ball and score or pin them deep in their territory. Just my 2 cents.

Hook, we ran two on sides kicks back for a td and almost broke another. Why did your coach keep trying that nonsense?

jrhernandez7
10-07-2011, 11:10 PM
id say calm down LG, a loss is a loss there is no moral wins in district play. and to a outsider looking in this tells me more about giddings than LG. Giddings has rarely been tested and lost one of those game to elgin witch is showing there realy not all that. This game will be a confidence booster for LG but im going with the rivalry making this close!

but im just trying to get pot stired!!! lol great job LG im looking foward to Giddings and LG coming to town bc i have NO DOUBT both will be hard fought victorys for the winner

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Terrible case of home cooking by the refs at the of the game in LG's favor as we were trying to run the clock out. Not that it should shock anyone.

Oh, and I won't mention any names, but one of the LG offensive linemen played one of the dirtiest games I have ever seen. He was either holding or tackling our D end on damn near every play.

At least they didn't turn out the lights before everyone safely got out of the stands this year. Be thankful for small wonders, I guess.

You just showed your real colors with this post, home cooking spoken like a true loser. You scored one FG in the second half because of the refs, get real.

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Hook, we ran two on sides kicks back for a td and almost broke another. Why did your coach keep trying that nonsense?

Yeah, we are wondering the same thing. You have to make the tackle if you can't recover the football duh! We had a 15-20 mph wind to our back on those kick offs so why not put it up deep into the endzone?
As for jrHernandez7? Smithville will get a shot at both these teams so don't write any checks you can't cash. The battle for three playoff berths is going to be intense. Don't count the Leps out.

jrhernandez7
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, we are wondering the same thing. You have to make the tackle if you can't recover the football duh! We had a 15-20 mph wind to our back on those kick offs so why not put it up deep into the endzone?
As for jrHernandez7? Smithville will get a shot at both these teams so don't write any checks you can't cash. The battle for three playoff berths is going to be intense. Don't count the Leps out.

Im from Smithville so i can honestly say i realy dont care for both teams but RESPECT yall. No matter what the record is we are the underdog going in just bc of hitory. I have to say LG showed there true colors tonight and those are of warriors. Im excited and ready for whats going to be a crazy 4 weeks.

Pudlugger
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Oh please. You won. Give it a rest. Your qb put his knee down then ran around to the right after the play was whistled dead. Then he ran down the clock for delay of game. Poor clock management giving the Leps the ball back with 35 second on the clock. Home cooking? No poor clock management. Just be glad you got the win. Good luck the rest of the way. Stay classy.

trojandad
10-07-2011, 11:31 PM
way to find some offense, lagrange...

way to grind it out in the 4th, giddings....

hookandladder
10-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Im from Smithville so i can honestly say i realy dont care for both teams but RESPECT yall. No matter what the record is we are the underdog going in just bc of hitory. I have to say LG showed there true colors tonight and those are of warriors. Im excited and ready for whats going to be a crazy 4 weeks.

I think the same could be said about our feelings for you guys also, you guys are not as good as you think you are and time will tell. You barely beat Columbus and beat a weak Caldwell team, so after next week you will see just how good you are. After being just down right pitful for so many years in every sport other then girls basketball, maybe you finally have some kids who can win. Good Luck.

gameface
10-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Buff 42-enjoy your win. Night, night-your victim stance and loud broken violin is making me puke(Dock Style). Please stop the defaming of the ref's, Leopard players and assumptive anti-Buff stadium lighting. Give me a break!! Stick with dominoes versus football comments Sir 42!!

jrhernandez7
10-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I think the same could be said about our feelings for you guys also, you guys are not as good as you think you are and time will tell. You barely beat Columbus and beat a weak Caldwell team, so after next week you will see just how good you are. After being just down right pitful for so many years in every sport other then girls basketball, maybe you finally have some kids who can win. Good Luck.

Well thats what making this season so sweet the fact we do underachieve so many years. but you are 100% right! we have proved nothing other than we are better than usual, but will get our chance to prove what we got or dont got. LG vs. Navasota nxt week should be a upset alert game im thinking. The leps worrie the crap out of me now. Giddings will bounce back against Caldwell by ease, and we have a tought test against Rockdale. if the Leps start out district 0-2 wich is likely to happen dont count them out bc they could easily win 3 strieght to get in the playoffs. even tho its a long shot I just pray my tigers have it wraped up before LG in week 10 .

p.s our boys basketball an track and field program is also very good,with womens cross country, and our baseball team did beat yalls last season :)

buff4ever
10-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh please. You won. Give it a rest. Your qb put his knee down then ran around to the right after the play was whistled dead. Then he ran down the clock for delay of game. Poor clock management giving the Leps the ball back with 35 second on the clock. Home cooking? No poor clock management. Just be glad you got the win. Good luck the rest of the way. Stay classy.

I am not going to go off on abunch of tangents, GREAT GAME, you guys played hard and gave us all we wanted. On the refs at the end of the game, the only detail you are leaving out is why was the clock put back to 45 and not running during 4th down since our qb kneeled it???

Pudlugger
10-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Officials time out was called when the qb ran after the ball was whistled dead from kneeling. The 4 seconds that ran down from that point were put back on the clock.When all the discussion stopped among refs and coaches and the teams were lined up the clock was started but the Buffs had to punt so we got the ball back with about 32 seconds on the clock. What I didn't understand was before the third down snap when the play clock was allowed to run down for the delay of game penalty. That stopped the clock. Had the qb taken the snap at the 24 second play clock and knelt the clock would have run down and the game would have ended on the next snap. Probably some confusion between the players and coaches on that play.

Giddings has some very tough running backs and they were hard to tackle. Plenty of talent in the lines and wrs as well. Your return teams are well coached and those back to back returns for tds really put us in a hole. It was an exciting game and once again Giddings gets the win. We'll take the loss in stride and prepare for another battle with the Rattlers. This will be a very tight district race for the first three slots. Good luck the rest of the way.

1st and goal
10-08-2011, 08:24 AM
While I am incapable of giving a totally unbiased review, here's a few details for the outsiders as to how the game unfolded. I would like to first give LG players a big congrats for never giving up after last week's blowout which could have caused many to play with their heads down.

The wind was blowing about 25mph and Giddings had the wind at their backs for the 1st quarter. LG had horrible field positiion the whole 1st quarter (due to Buffs scoring and excellent defensive play). 21-0 at end of 1st quarter. Giddings offense had a short field each possession but still did not pass even with the wind.

LG got the wind in the 2nd quarter and pulled out some razzle dazzle double reverse pitch it back to QB with a receiver wide open about 40 yds downfield. He had to almost stop running to make the catch but was so wide open he easily scored.

2 more trick plays during the game and LG was back in the game. Somehow, LG's QB had about anywhere from 7 seconds to what seems like a minute to throw the ball. Not sure how holding was never called. Many holding calls on LG were missed. LG's defense stepped up big time in the 2nd half while the Buff's O was playing a mostly conservative running game.

Pud, because of my kid, I had to listen to the last 8 minutes on the radio. Even the LG announcers were baffled at the end of the game saying that clearly on 3rd down, what looked like taking a knee was a fake, but the officials whistled and called it down. It would take 8 pages of type to try and explain the bad clock officiating on the last possesion. OTOH, they let the clock run down some prior to 1st down on the series. Another poor call was LG was driving at midfield and the QB was sacked right in front of the back judge. I have it on film that he was grabbed on his front of his jersey and back and when pulling him down, the QB's helmet went between the tackler's arms making his helmet move a bit. The side ref 30 yards away in front of LG's bench threw a facemask flag. Coach Jones was livid that the back judge didn't override the flag with what was a clean sack. This, was a big key to LG's comeback. I would give the ref's a grade of C for the overall performance. They didn't change the outcome of the game too much, but instant replay could have cleaned up their efforts.

Gidding's secondary was burned at least 3 times by some awesome play calling by LG's coaches. I guess they were holding their trump cards to play in district. The Buff's O'line seemed on some plays to be totally confused on who to block. I was hoping most of the line's blocking schemes would be ironed out by now, but again credit LG's defense for playing an aggressive run defense.

The Buff's were fortunate to get out of town with a W.

gtownfan
10-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Even the LG announcers were baffled at the end of the game saying that clearly on 3rd down, what looked like taking a knee was a fake, but the officials whistled and called it down. It would take 8 pages of type to try and explain the bad clock officiating on the last possesion. OTOH, they let the clock run down some prior to 1st down on the series. Another poor call was LG was driving at midfield and the QB was sacked right in front of the back judge. I have it on film that he was grabbed on his front of his jersey and back and when pulling him down, the QB's helmet went between the tackler's arms making his helmet move a bit. The side ref 30 yards away in front of LG's bench threw a facemask flag. Coach Jones was livid that the back judge didn't override the flag with what was a clean sack. This, was a big key to LG's comeback. I would give the ref's a grade of C for the overall performance. They didn't change the outcome of the game too much, but instant replay could have cleaned up their efforts.

Gidding's secondary was burned at least 3 times by some awesome play calling by LG's coaches. I guess they were holding their trump cards to play in district. The Buff's O'line seemed on some plays to be totally confused on who to block. I was hoping most of the line's blocking schemes would be ironed out by now, but again credit LG's defense for playing an aggressive run defense.

The phantom face mask was a pretty obvious blown call. He had nothing but jersey. Called by an official that was 30+ yards away.

The kneel down was a fake, but then again, that's what you get for being too cute. Just take the knee and be done with it. I think he did the same thing on 2nd down, but would have to see that again.

Not sure what was up with the buffs secondary. Leps were not getting much yardage on the ground and when your up by 2 or 3 TDs, you should be looking for the trick plays and/or long passes. That was the only way the leps had to get back into the game and give them credit, they took advantage of our secondary. 258 yards passing for the Leps and most of that was on 3 long passes.

Not sure what's up with the buffs O line. Some of it is the play calling (reminiscent of the last 8 years). But quick defensive lineman just get in our backfield and muck things up. Exposed at WOS and Leps saw that and tailored the defense to exploit it.

Interesting all the talk on the thread about the coin flip and how that seems to be impacting the Leps games!

Anyhow, good game Leps and good luck the rest of the way. If you play the rest of the games as you did tonight, the playoffs look a possibility!!

trojandad
10-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Officials time out was called when the qb ran after the ball was whistled dead from kneeling. The 4 seconds that ran down from that point were put back on the clock.When all the discussion stopped among refs and coaches and the teams were lined up the clock was started but the Buffs had to punt so we got the ball back with about 32 seconds on the clock. What I didn't understand was before the third down snap when the play clock was allowed to run down for the delay of game penalty. That stopped the clock. Had the qb taken the snap at the 24 second play clock and knelt the clock would have run down and the game would have ended on the next snap. Probably some confusion between the players and coaches on that play.

Giddings has some very tough running backs and they were hard to tackle. Plenty of talent in the lines and wrs as well. Your return teams are well coached and those back to back returns for tds really put us in a hole. It was an exciting game and once again Giddings gets the win. We'll take the loss in stride and prepare for another battle with the Rattlers. This will be a very tight district race for the first three slots. Good luck the rest of the way.

pud, im just glad you guys got your offense going....you guys sound like your coming around.....

Pudlugger
10-08-2011, 10:05 AM
While I am incapable of giving a totally unbiased review, here's a few details for the outsiders as to how the game unfolded. I would like to first give LG players a big congrats for never giving up after last week's blowout which could have caused many to play with their heads down.

The wind was blowing about 25mph and Giddings had the wind at their backs for the 1st quarter. LG had horrible field positiion the whole 1st quarter (due to Buffs scoring and excellent defensive play). 21-0 at end of 1st quarter. Giddings offense had a short field each possession but still did not pass even with the wind.

LG got the wind in the 2nd quarter and pulled out some razzle dazzle double reverse pitch it back to QB with a receiver wide open about 40 yds downfield. He had to almost stop running to make the catch but was so wide open he easily scored.

2 more trick plays during the game and LG was back in the game. Somehow, LG's QB had about anywhere from 7 seconds to what seems like a minute to throw the ball. Not sure how holding was never called. Many holding calls on LG were missed. LG's defense stepped up big time in the 2nd half while the Buff's O was playing a mostly conservative running game.

Pud, because of my kid, I had to listen to the last 8 minutes on the radio. Even the LG announcers were baffled at the end of the game saying that clearly on 3rd down, what looked like taking a knee was a fake, but the officials whistled and called it down. It would take 8 pages of type to try and explain the bad clock officiating on the last possesion. OTOH, they let the clock run down some prior to 1st down on the series. Another poor call was LG was driving at midfield and the QB was sacked right in front of the back judge. I have it on film that he was grabbed on his front of his jersey and back and when pulling him down, the QB's helmet went between the tackler's arms making his helmet move a bit. The side ref 30 yards away in front of LG's bench threw a facemask flag. Coach Jones was livid that the back judge didn't override the flag with what was a clean sack. This, was a big key to LG's comeback. I would give the ref's a grade of C for the overall performance. They didn't change the outcome of the game too much, but instant replay could have cleaned up their efforts.

I was sitting up on the 50 yard line and had a clear view of the sack. It was a facemask. The hand was on the jersey and the facemask. Good call. Fake knee? With the entire Buff backfield set around the qb how can anyone tell if the knee actually touched the ground or not? Seems to me such a play invites the linebackers to cream the qb every time just to be sure. Not a smart play. Bottom line is the Buffs win another one against the Leps. That makes 9 in a row. We'll have to wait another year to break the drought. As for your O line, I was impressed with how well they blocked. It took some adjustments to figure out how to counter with stunts, meanwhile yall racked up 21 points in 12 minutes. We did adjust and I give much credit to our defensive front and middle line backers. We are better than our record indicates and hopefully will start proving it on the field. Good luck the rest of the way.

Buff42
10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
You just showed your real colors with this post, home cooking spoken like a true loser. You scored one FG in the second half because of the refs, get real.

Loser?????????????

Can you say 9 in a row, Hook?

And, if I'm wrong, please explain the "inadvertent" whistle at the end of the game then. Please.

Buff42
10-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Kudos Pud- you hit the nail on the head. TERRIBLE clock management on our part. I didn't see the knee go down. Not saying it didn't, I just didn't see it. I can't wait to see it on game film in slo-mo. Anyway, it's impossible to run out the clock by taking a knee with over 2:00 left. You have to have a first down. You're exactly right.

1st and goal
10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Pud, like I said, I got the video. Just watched it again. There were no hands to the facemask. Yes, the helmet got moved in the take down.

BTW, I've always heard Vinklarek pronounced differently than the announcers were saying it. Guess its a local thing. The way they were saying it, it rhymed with "Ben Clark" and they way I've always heard it, sounds something like Vin Claire eck.

Pudlugger
10-08-2011, 01:58 PM
You are correct on the pronouncement. No instant replay in hs football alas, so we must move on. Leps have their work cut out for them next week against Navasota. Good luck to Giddings.

1st and goal
10-08-2011, 03:06 PM
You are correct on the pronouncement. No instant replay in hs football alas, so we must move on. Leps have their work cut out for them next week against Navasota. Good luck to Giddings.

Yes, Navasota is playing great football. Good luck to you guys. We know what we need to work on.

Saggy Aggie
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
I havent read the thread, but LG put 35 points on Giddings?!?!?!

Pudlugger
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Yep.

Old Tiger
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I heard La Grange is dirtier than Brownwood.

hookandladder
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM

No the field was dry, we did not get any rain til Sunday but it soaked it up pretty quick. Should be dry by the the time we play you guys unless we get more rain and we still need rain.

hookandladder
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM

FYI- A stupid comment deserve a stupid reply, you been talking to them Giddings folks right. Good source.

Old Tiger
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
No the field was dry, we did not get any rain til Sunday but it soaked it up pretty quick. Should be dry by the the time we play you guys unless we get more rain and we still need rain.That's good at least yall didn't pull a Caldwell. lol