PDA

View Full Version : Gatesville vs Burnet

cl8114
08-31-2002, 01:40 AM
Gatesville looks good, so does Burnet. Any thoughts on the big game next week?

JOPPA GUY #14
09-01-2002, 12:56 AM
It is going to be a very close game but i do believe that the huge line and the aces of burnet will emerge victorious.

Chris Hart
09-01-2002, 01:43 PM
This is going to be a wonderful game to watch with two quality teams gettin it on.I am going to have to go with my DAWGS though.I don't even want to predict a score in this one, cause I don't know a whole lot about Gatesville other than they are real good.I haven't seen them play since the last time they played Burnet.I look for this to be a classic.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

cl23
09-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Indeed this will go down as a classic...two teams that should each win their own districts and both having a shot at winning their region and meeting againin the Division 1 semifinals. Both teams match up well with size and speed, but I think it will be decided by the depth, experience, and ball control that the Hornets possess. Prediction: Gatesville 20 Burnet 13

eye of the tiger
09-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Burnet in a good close game. The kind of game I like to watch if my team isnt playing. Good luck to both squads.

Old Cardinal
09-04-2002, 06:18 PM
I would go with Burnet on this one; however Gatesville is no big deal....Jasper will beat them by 40 points in the bi-district game- if they choose to. And Sinton will take out Burnet in Region IV. It's called depth and tradition.

ladydawg03
09-04-2002, 07:08 PM
tradition? haha what do you mean by that? Its a trdaition that they always win???

oldbuff78
09-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Gatesville by 4

cl23
09-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Old Cardinal- as to your comment about tradition...is it tradition that Jasper and Sinton have never won a state championship? I would say they are lacking a little "depth" in the championship category.

REBEL
09-05-2002, 10:42 AM
I know the Gatesville coaches personally and I feel with two great teams coaching will be the difference. So therefore, I would have to say :
Gatesville -- 21
Burnet -- 17

cl23
09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
I'm sticking with my original score prediction of 20-13 for Gatesville, but I do think that home field advantage for Burnet could be the deciding factor in this game. If it were in Gatesville, not a doubt in my mind that the Hornets would win- they haven't lost at home since 1999.

Old Cardinal
09-05-2002, 01:29 PM
To CL23: The DEPTH and TRADITION that I am talking about is about the two past years. Sinton and Jasper have been way up the bracket ladder, while Burnet got whipped as soon as they got into the playoffs last year. I can't understand how so many Burnet people can proclaim themselves the State Champions so arrogantly- before the seasons started, with your so-so record. Chris Hart, seems to have the only humility in your town.

ATMO
09-05-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't believe Burnet has lost at home in a while, either. If the Burnet defense plays like it did against Reagan last week, look for the Bulldogs to win and win BIG!

ATMO
09-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by REBEL:
I know the Gatesville coaches personally and I feel with two great teams coaching will be the difference. So therefore, I would have to say :
Gatesville -- 21
Burnet -- 17

But you are right, REBEL: IF only coaching were involved, then Gatesville in a land slide. That Burnet staff does nothing but play CRAZY 8 in weekend meetings.

NOZGRINDER
09-05-2002, 01:49 PM
I THINK THAT THIS WILL BE A GREAT DEFENSIVE BATTLE. BOTH TEAMS HAVE QUICK HARD HITTING DEFENSES AND BOTH HAVE EXCELLENT DC'S. I BELIEVE SPECIAL TEAMS WILL PLAY A BIG PART IN THIS ONE. IT SHOULD BE CLOSE MAYBE EVEN AN OT. BURNET 20 GATESVILLE 18

cl23
09-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Back to ya' Old Card: First off, don't ever associate me with Burnet again...I'm not from Burnet..so it's definately not my town and it's not my so-so record. I do agree with you in that there are a lot of arrogant Burnet bandwagon bleacher bums out there, but it was Gatesville that I was standing up for. In speaking of DEPTH and TRADITION in the last 2 years- try a 24-3 record with a 3A D1 State Championship ring. Something yet to be achieved by Sinton and Jasper.

Old Cardinal
09-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Sorry CL23, I just have hope that Gatesville can win, but logic says that Burnet will win, early in the season. My problem is that even you guy's made it to the third round last year, that's what? 16 teams that progressed further than Burnet and 15 other teams with a equal record in playoffs. They sure have a way of being arrogant. I would again like to compliment Gatesville on their State Championship, for a team that Dave Campbell picked as 4th in their District, they sure did very well.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 05, 2002).]

cl23
09-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the compliment...I hope and actually think they can win. When looking at the personnel of each team...Gatesville can dominate the clock with their running game by using their big line and skill players at RB & QB. And with speed and agressive play on defense- they can shut down the big play capabilities of Burnet. Look for Gatesville to shut down Burnet's combo of McGhee and Shipley just like they did last year (with an even younger team) with China Spring's Bell and MacGibbon.

greendog fan
09-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Have to disagree with you on the score. Burnet has good depth this year. Can,t see anyone beating us untill way deep in the play offs. burnet 26 Gatesville 13

sinton66
09-05-2002, 05:42 PM
I've read all yall's opinions, and you all make good points, but I'm still gonna say this one's dead even. I think it's gonna come down to who wants it the most, and what the coaches are trying to do. I don't think any of us can read their minds. How long are they gonna play the starters and such? Remember, this is non-district.

Primo_Style
09-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Man what are you talkin about speed what speed gatesville aint got none! what there fastest guy runs a 4.6 haha! Burnet has atleast 8 guys that can run that fast or faster. This game is going to be decided on if they can catch shipley. Burnet has a very good D and I predict a big win for burnet. 35 to 14 burnet if gatesville can score that many.

Clyde12
09-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Must not know much about the Hornets. Every defensive starter runs 4.8 or better. Ask China Spring and there vaunted offense about the Hornet D. Last 2 years they were held to 6 and 7 points. On paper, I would take the Hornets. Burnet has a chance in Burnet.

29x281
09-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Jordan Shipley is way overrated. Decent speed but no moves. I think Gatesville should punt to him every time - that is, if Gatesville ever has to punt.

And McGee the QB has a weak arm.

And the Safety, #20, he's afraid of contact.

Gatesville beats an overconfident and overrated Burnet, 33-14.

eye of the tiger
09-05-2002, 07:47 PM
This is from Dave Campbell's Texas Football site.

Week Zero) Class 3A Team of the Week: The Bulldogs of Burnet showed the Lone Star State that their community has more than just awesome wildflowers in the spring. Burnet stunned Austin Reagan, which was ranked No. 5 in last week's Class 4A poll, 33-6.

Nice going Burnet

halliegirl
09-05-2002, 07:58 PM
u obviously havent watched these guys in action or you would know how wrong you are. get real...the dawgs are gonna come out on top, im sure gatesville will be impressive but it isnt anything the burnet boys cant handle withen the 1st half of the game.

Originally posted by 29x281:
Jordan Shipley is way overrated. Decent speed but no moves. I think Gatesville should punt to him every time - that is, if Gatesville ever has to punt.

greendog fan
09-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Cant belive you said Shiply has no moves. I guess if you,re as fast as him you dont need any moves. Noone can get close enough to him with his speed to tackle him. You are really dumb for saying Mcgee has no arm. Have you seen Burnet play? I would say Mcgee is in the top 3 qbs in 3a and probbaly in the top 15 in the state and only a jr as Shipley is also. Cant wait till their sr year. Will get nothing but better. I dont think Burnet can win state, but I think they will get real closeI see them going to state but losing it like we did in 92

Chris Hart
09-05-2002, 09:32 PM

Yall might want to look at this guys screenname 29x281.That is the #'s of the highways that meet in the center of Burnet.This person must hate his hometown team, or he is trying to motivate in someway.However, the players mentioned know they can play, and play well.If any players are posting or reading, please take it all as a grain of salt and stay FOCUSED and take it ONE GAME AT A TIME.Good luck and stay healthy Bulldogs.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

cl8114
09-06-2002, 12:33 AM
All I know is I am ready to see this big bad d of Burnet. I want to see if they can handle Gatesville's big bad Offense. Lashon Thayer is big and will give the defense fits all night tomorrow. He had 215 yards rushing last week and also got a 95 yd TD called back because of a clip on the backside of the play. With Preston Taylor back this week after being sick last week, they have their big play receiver in the mix not that Keith Thayer isn't a big play receiver. As far as speed I don't think that the times in Texas Football are that accurate. QB Chris Fadal showed his speed on his two TD's on QB draws and Thayer does not run a 4.8. The defense is fast as always with Micheal McDonald leading the way. I know both teams are talented but I think G'ville's experience and heart will beat Burnet tomorrow. The SWARM is back.

NOZGRINDER
09-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by cl8114:
All I know is I am ready to see this big bad d of Burnet. I want to see if they can handle Gatesville's big bad Offense. Lashon Thayer is big and will give the defense fits all night tomorrow. He had 215 yards rushing last week and also got a 95 yd TD called back because of a clip on the backside of the play. With Preston Taylor back this week after being sick last week, they have their big play receiver in the mix not that Keith Thayer isn't a big play receiver. As far as speed I don't think that the times in Texas Football are that accurate. QB Chris Fadal showed his speed on his two TD's on QB draws and Thayer does not run a 4.8. The defense is fast as always with Micheal McDonald leading the way. I know both teams are talented but I think G'ville's experience and heart will beat Burnet tomorrow. The SWARM is back.

THOSE ARE STRONG WORDS CL8114. I SAW BURNET PLAY LAST FRIDAY AND THEY ARE GOOD. IF GATESVILLE IS AS GOOD AS YOU SAY, IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME. HOPE THE SWARM DOESN'T GET DOG BIT!!!

toby070
09-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
To CL23: The DEPTH and TRADITION that I am talking about is about the two past years. Sinton and Jasper have been way up the bracket ladder, while Burnet got whipped as soon as they got into the playoffs last year. I can't understand how so many Burnet people can proclaim themselves the State Champions so arrogantly- before the seasons started, with your so-so record. Chris Hart, seems to have the only humility in your town.

Maybe because they get tired of you constantly running their team down?????? Geez, every team has some high school kids that run their mouth about being the best team in the state. For the 20th time, I'm not from Burnet, and they aren't even my favorite team in that district, BUT last year's Burnet team had a core of star SOPHOMORE players.

Just as they shouldn't be declaring themselves state champs, you shouldn't constantly be saying that Sinton will beat them...it's a little early for BOTH predictions.

toby070
09-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Oh, and by the way Old Card, I may be mistaken, but I don't think you gave Burnet a snowball's chance in hades against Reagan, did you??????

29x281
09-06-2002, 05:59 PM
you got me, chris. so much for my moyivational techniques.

now that it's too close to gametime for players to read this board, I'll reverse my prediction.

Burnet, 33-14.

McGee is probably a national top 50 recruit next year. The safety hits harder than any player I've seen (pound for pound). And Shipley is, in my opinion, the best player in 3a.

If Shipley is allowed to catch a punt, he usually scores.

greendog fan
09-06-2002, 11:55 PM
[/QUOTE Burnet 42 Gatesville 20. Missed that one cl23. Better luck next time. I pick Burnet over Killen Shoemaker next Friday. Burnet 27 Killen 6

bumble bee
09-07-2002, 12:41 AM
SHHHHHHH!!! sh!!! The Dawgs showed the state of Texas that Burnet is for real. 42-20 end of story. GOOD NIGHT

spaniard
09-07-2002, 02:29 AM
you really are a knucklehead, i dont understand why you think that shipley has no moves, mcgee has no arm and christian doesnt want to hit. if you saw the game against reagan, then you would know that all the above are wrong, and if you saw the game tonight against gatesville, then you would understand that it wasnt a fluke or just because of some bad penalties, according to the austin american statesman. i hate to be mean or anything, but if you think that burnet is all talk and arrogant, then you have another thing coming.

cl23
09-07-2002, 09:20 AM
Hey greendog- at least I had Gatesville's points correct- no, really- hat's off to Burnet, they have an exceptional team- hope both teams can stay healthy and hopefully meet again in the semi's. I'll let you know later in the week on my picks for both Burnet and Gatesville next week.

29x281
09-07-2002, 09:20 AM
spaniard

read the entire thread

greendog fan
09-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey cl, was a good game last night. hope we dont meet gatesville again this year. you rb is one of the best i,ve seen. would love to have him in the back field with patrick miller. would bet all my marbles on burnet winning state then. i pick the dogs over shoemaker by 21. who does gatesville play? i wish them all the luck.

spaniard
09-07-2002, 09:18 PM
hey, im retarded, i didnt take the time to read any farther down the page to see what else was said, my apology to you.

29x281
09-07-2002, 10:03 PM
no problem, spaniard

lildawg07
09-07-2002, 10:54 PM
You are just saying all that because they don't play for you. We have a awsome team and will be in the state finals!!

29x281
09-07-2002, 11:02 PM
i give up

Chris Hart
09-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Some people are just OUT THERE all the time 29x281.It is pretty funny though.

PISSonU
09-08-2002, 09:49 AM
What's this I hear about Burnet recruits from Marble Falls and Dripping Springs? Hmmmm...

29x281
09-08-2002, 12:38 PM
What's your evidence?

If you're going to float a half-hearted accusation like that, you owe it to the people associated with the Burnet program to give some evidence.

Please tell us.

Bulldog1990
09-08-2002, 01:08 PM
What do you mean by that comment about Burnet rucruiting from Marble Falls? Please enlighten us with your proof or source!!!!

Chris Hart
09-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Yall had better listen to that guy peepeeonu,he probably knows alot of people close to the Burnet program over there in Snook.(lol) BTW why would Burnet recruit from teams they have beaten consistently for years,maybe Burnet don't want to win,I don't know.(lol)I am going to give the Burnet coaching staff a piece of my mind for replacing our quality players with river rats and Tigers.(hahahaha) Grow up peepee!

------------------
Big Green Dawg

greendog fan
09-08-2002, 08:31 PM
:d The only player i know of that transrered from m.f. is a basketball player. I dont think he will even be a starter on Burnets team this year.

bigdawg06
09-09-2002, 11:03 AM
I am just wondering who this is?

to air it out, divine
09-09-2002, 09:41 PM
hey PissOn U ur an idiot. what players do marble falls and dripping springs actuallyhave anyway. they couldn't play for burnet's jv.