View Full Version : Sweetwater @ Wylie

ccmom
10-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Sweetwater (3-3) @ Wylie (3-3) to start district play

What are your thoughts?

LionFan72
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Can Keenum lobby the UIL for 6 years in High School too? :stirpot::stirpot:

On a serious note, it May be a better game than everyone expects, but I think Wylie should pull it out. By a TD, smiley Wiley eeks out another win.

Pendragon13
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't remember the last time Sweetwater beat Wylie, and if the dawgs were at full strength I don't think it would happen this year either. Having said that, it could be a pretty close game and the winner is the one who has less turnovers..

In two of our 3 losses we actually had a lead going into halftime, Waco just overpowered us in the second half with their ridiculous size and overall team speed, and Lovejoy had a very fast, shifty QB that our banged up D-line couldn't stop. I expect SW/Wylie to be fairly evenly matched..

LionFan72
10-01-2011, 10:16 AM
The big IF in the equation is if Wylie were healthy, I don't think it would be a contest. But with the home field and cooked up Refs wined and dined, should be a close game with a Bulldog win. Good Luck guys!

Sweetwater Red
10-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Sweetwater (3-3) @ Wylie (3-3) to start district play

What are your thoughts?

Thoughts? I think that "group" is looking better and better...

Bosqueville
10-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't think it will be close. Wylie by 17. I think that even with the injuries, Wylie is playing at a level above Bwd, SW and of course BS. Wylie/Snyder may be a a lot closer than most think.

LionFan72
10-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't think it will be close. Wylie by 17. I think that even with the injuries, Wylie is playing at a level above Bwd, SW and of course BS. Wylie/Snyder may be a a lot closer than most think.

I think all 5-3A games will be close, and it will come down to turnovers in many games. I really dont see a favorite or dominate team right now. I think if you don't attend the games, you are going to miss some competative football!

Sweetwater Red
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I can't remember the last time Sweetwater beat Wylie, and if the dawgs were at full strength I don't think it would happen this year either. Having said that, it could be a pretty close game and the winner is the one who has less turnovers..

In two of our 3 losses we actually had a lead going into halftime, Waco just overpowered us in the second half with their ridiculous size and overall team speed, and Lovejoy had a very fast, shifty QB that our banged up D-line couldn't stop. I expect SW/Wylie to be fairly evenly matched..

I can't remember the last time Sweetwater beat Wylie, and if the dawgs were at full strength I don't think it would happen this year either.

Yeah, because Sweetwater hasn't had any injuries or any other 3A team in the state other than Wylie and Brownwood for that matter. :rolleyes:

If Sweetwater wins next week, it won't be because of Wylie's injuries. It will be because the Mustangs were the better team.

I find ironic that a few Wylie posters are playing the injury card as an excuse though. Since when has depth been an issue at Wylie and their 140 kids that come out every year? :doh:

Pendragon13
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, because Sweetwater hasn't had any injuries or any other 3A team in the state other than Wylie and Brownwood for that matter. :rolleyes:

If Sweetwater wins next week, it won't be because of Wylie's injuries. It will be because the Mustangs were the better team.

I find ironic that a few Wylie posters are playing the injury card as an excuse though. Since when has depth been an issue at Wylie and their 140 kids that come out every year? :doh:It's not really a depth issue as far as numbers, but more of steeper dropoff in the talent level once you get past the starters in most positions. In the past we've had a 2nd stringer that was just as or nearly as good as the starter in most positions...not so this year.

ccmom
10-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Does Sweetwater's Argentinian handle the kick off duties? I am interested in seeing his powerful leg, but not necessarily on long field goals.  Just one kick off would suit me just fine. 

regaleagle
10-02-2011, 10:36 PM
No thinking to do here. Wylie wins this one easily.

injuredinmelee
10-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Lovejoy and Waco boith dominated the lines of scrimmage. The Waco coach finally got it through his head that if they ran the ball up the middle consistently they could blow the dogs away. Lovejoy had probably twice the penalty yards that Wylie had total offense. They dont shoot themselves in the foot that game they win by 28.

slingshot
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
IMHO Wylie wins this one by 14+... JV linemen that moved up and played last week and all. I think Sweetwater is still a year away.

franz
10-03-2011, 10:38 AM

I find ironic that a few Wylie posters are playing the injury card as an excuse though. Since when has depth been an issue at Wylie and their 140 kids that come out every year? :doh:

How did you find about the 140. That is supposed to be confidential. And if Wylie wins, it will be because they are the better team, and not because of 140 kids right?

BLEEDZGREEN
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Wylie by 2tds.

Old Tiger
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Wylie by 13

nobogey72
10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

I think the last time Sweetwater beat us Michael Carrillo was the QB. There were a few years in there where Wylie beat Sweetwater, Sweetwater beat Snyder, and Snyder beat Wylie. I can remember at least 2 of those years. BTW-- I was sure proud for Banyard last week vs Houston.

Red--- be sure to try the blackened lobster at the concession stand if you come to the game. In my opinion it is better than the rib-eyes this year. Probably because we started flying the lobster in fresh. You might want to eat early because by halftime you probably won't have any appetite. (due to the severe ass-whoopin ya'll will be getting handed ):stirpot::1popcorn:

Roughneck93
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I like Wylie by a couple of td's.

pirate4state
10-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I'll take Sweetwater by .5 points :D

hollywood
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll say Wylie by 21. Because ccmom asked for my thoughts and my friend garciap77 says so.

Snydertigersrul
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Wylie by 14, even with all of the injuries. That Sweetwater kicker probably will get one field goal, the only points for the Mustangs

TheDOCTORdre
10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
All I know is at the end of this one, someones going to be 4-3 and someone else is going to be 3-4

Sweetwater Red
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Does Sweetwater's Argentinian handle the kick off duties? I am interested in seeing his powerful leg, but not necessarily on long field goals.  Just one kick off would suit me just fine. 

Yes he does. But, the coaches have changed his mechanics somewhat. He was booming them into the end zone but there wasn't much hangtime and the KO team wasn't getting down there fast enough to cover well.

Black_Magic
10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Wylie by 14, even with all of the injuries. That Sweetwater kicker probably will get one field goal, the only points for the Mustangs Unless he decides to show off and bounce one off the left upright!:clap: JUst messin with ya Red...:thumbsup:

Sweetwater Red
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I think the last time Sweetwater beat us Michael Carrillo was the QB. There were a few years in there where Wylie beat Sweetwater, Sweetwater beat Snyder, and Snyder beat Wylie. I can remember at least 2 of those years. BTW-- I was sure proud for Banyard last week vs Houston.

Red--- be sure to try the blackened lobster at the concession stand if you come to the game. In my opinion it is better than the rib-eyes this year. Probably because we started flying the lobster in fresh. You might want to eat early because by halftime you probably won't have any appetite. (due to the severe ass-whoopin ya'll will be getting handed ):stirpot::1popcorn:

Yeah it's been a while. Those two years that Sweetwater, Wylie and Snyder shared the district championship were really fun to watch play out. I can say the same thing about Case Keenum. He should break alot of records this year. gp77 has a great pic of Case diving into the end zone at Mustang Bowl with Banyard looking on.

Thanks for the heads up. I love some lobster tail. But, if ccmom is working the concession stand again, don't let her cook. She totally screwed up my filet mignon a few years ago. I asked for medium and had to send it back twice. The first time it was still mooing and the second time it was charred. :rolleyes:

Oh, and speaking of losing my appetite at halftime, are you going to finally let those of us that don't live in Abillene neet your wife? If so the I'll bring a bang full of Milk Duds, Moon Pies and a six pack of Big Reds to toss her way. Just as a precautionary measure if she gets aggressive.

TheDOCTORdre
10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I know Sweetwater beat Wylie my senior year, the 03 season...the year after Carrillo graduated

TheDOCTORdre
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I know Sweetwater beat Wylie my senior year, the 03 season...the year after Carrillo graduated

it was a non district game that year though

LIONS#1
10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Wylie 35 Sweetwater 20 Good luck to both teams!!

Sweetwater Red
10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Unless he decides to show off and bounce one off the left upright!:clap: JUst messin with ya Red...:thumbsup:

Atleast we have a kicker this year. Snyder....not so much. :devil:

Snydertigersrul
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Good thing you have a kicker with that offense of yours

ExScoop
10-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Sweetwater is 4-9 against Wylie according to this website
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1265&B=826&REC=4-9-0&S=

nobogey72
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Sweetwater is 4-9 against Wylie according to this website
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1265&B=826&REC=4-9-0&S=

Yeah, and the only reason we lost those 4 were poor officiating and injuries.:stirpot:

Plus, Sweetwater always has more kids than us. Sweetwater should be 4A.

Leopard4Life
10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah, and the only reason we lost those 4 were poor officiating and injuries.:stirpot:

Plus, Sweetwater always has more kids than us. Sweetwater should be 4A.

Now nobogey72, you know what happened last time that bad officiating was brought up in a thread...

nobogey72
10-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Now nobogey72, you know what happened last time that bad officiating was brought up in a thread...

I know!! I just can't seem to get anyone (other than you) riled up this year. Even the BWood posters are acting all meek and mild. I don't blame them, though, as bad as they are getting their asses whooped.:)

Sweetwater Red
10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Sandifer sure looks tired, stressed out and ready to retire. :stirpot: :devil:

http://www.ktxs.com/video/29379929/index.html

Black_Magic
10-05-2011, 11:24 AM

According to this clip, Snyder is hard at work this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

garciap77
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM

:iagree:

garciap77
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
According to this clip, Snyder is hard at work this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

I thought you were working in Monahans? :D

garciap77
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM

He will if we lose to Sweetwater! :D

garciap77
10-07-2011, 08:15 AM
The Dirty Water Ponies by 21!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/res-wash5.jpg

:D

Sweetwater Red
10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Mustangs go to Wylie to start district

October 6, 2011

By
Ron Howell

sweetwatersports@yahoo.com

The non-district portion of the schedule is finally over. On Friday, the serious part begins as Sweetwater and Wylie match identical 3-3 records at 7:30 p.m. at Wylie — with the hope of going 1-0 in District 5-3A and taking an important step toward a playoff berth.
For Sweetwater, this will also be a chance to take a step toward re-establishing itself as a district contender for the first time in three years. The Mustangs have just one district win since 2008. So a victory, especially over a perennially-tough Wylie squad, would be huge for the program.
Coach Craig Slaughter’s team also is hoping to get its 2011 season back on track.
After a 3-1 start in which the defense surrendered just 25 points, the Mustangs have given up 76 the past two weeks while losing to Midland Greenwood and Midland Christian.
However, Slaughter said he’s seen much more enthusiasm and a higher level of intensity from his players in practice this week as the team gets ready for Wylie. “We’ve had our best practices of the year. I definitely like how we’re approaching this game,” he said. “The practices have been intense. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t go out and play the same way. This game means a ton for our program. “We’re in a small district. You only get four opportunities and you better make them count. We need to get off to a good start and play with lots of emotion.”
Wylie has also been up- and-down this season, but the Bulldogs have played a tougher non-district schedule than Sweetwater. Coach Hugh Sandifer’s squad has wins over Rockdale (35-14), Graham (21-7) and Lubbock Estacado (30-29), the latter thanks to an 80-yard score on a hook-and-ladder play with less than two minutes to play that rallied Wylie from a 29-24 deficit against the Matadors.
However, the Bulldogs had a rare lopsided defeat (42-14) in Week 1 to an exceptionally good Stephenville team currently ranked No. 10 in Class 4A, and also lost to 4A Waco High (31-15) and 3A Lucas Lovejoy (21-17) before rebounding this past week to defeat 3A Estacado.
Wylie rallied past Sweetwater, 21-10, in last year’s 5-3A opener after the Mustangs had jumped out to an early 10-0 lead.
Slaughter said the Bulldogs have shown a big-play ability throughout the first half of the year. Last week’s winning touchdown began as a 9-yard hitch pass from QB Matt McLeod to Richard Bloomer, who then completed the 80-yard play by shoveling it to a racing Garrett Martin to give Wylie an exciting last-minute win.
There were few positives for Sweetwater against Midland Christian, but the Mustangs did score 21 fourth-quarter points as QB Taylor Jones had two TD runs and Ryan Linebaugh one. Kicker Tadeo Canon-Masjoan hit all three PAT attempts.
Wylie made the playoffs despite a 5-7 record a year ago, but a Sweetwater win Friday would give the Mustangs the early edge. Slaughter knows it will be a war for each of the next four weeks. “There’s going to be some battles in the district this year,” he said. “It will be interesting to watch.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-go-wylie-start-district

ccmom
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
You Sweetwater folks better bring your pink hair nets. It's windy!!!

Old Tiger
10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I met a girl from Wylie last night in CS...don't remember name or looks but

It may have been ccmom

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cool-starry-bra.jpg

Old LB
10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Wylie by 21! :thumbsup:

garciap77
10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I met a girl from Wylie last night in CS...don't remember name or looks but

It may have been ccmom

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cool-starry-bra.jpg

So, you are not gay? :D

BwdLion73
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
32 AA ! Someones fixin to get hit with a wine bottle.:1popcorn:

ccmom
10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
32 AA ! Someones fixin to get hit with a wine bottle.:1popcorn:

Haha...no that just proves that he and I have never met! :crazy:

Sweetwater Red
10-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweetwater (3-3) at Wylie (3-3)

7:30 p.m. today Bulldog Stadium KEAN 105.1 FM

What's riding on the game: It's the district opener for both teams, so it's obviously a big game. The winner is one step closer to a playoff berth. The loser will have some catching up to do. This also is something of a rivalry game, which adds even more intrigue to the matchup. While Wylie has won the last eight meetings in the series, these two teams have played every year since 2000, often with a district championship on the line.

Last game: Wylie scored on an 80-yard hook and ladder to escape with a 30-29 win at Lubbock Estacado. Sweetwater was limited to 215 yards of total offense in a 48-21 loss at Midland Christian.

Scouting Sweetwater: The Mustangs, who started the season 3-1, enter today off consecutive losses. After surrendering a total of 25 points through the first four weeks, the Sweetwater defense has allowed 28 and 48 points the last two weeks in losses to Midland Greenwood and Midland Christian, respectively. The Mustangs offense, which is led by quarterback Taylor Jones and running back Ryan Linebaugh, has struggled some this year, but it's gotten better as the season has gone on. Over the past four games, coach Craig Slaughter's team has raised its points per game average from 8.5 to 18.3.

Bulldogs update: Wylie's offensive struggles have been well documented, but that unit came through in a big way for the Bulldogs last week. Coach Hugh Sandifer's squad overcame a 21-7 deficit against a good Estacado team, putting up 178 yards and 16 points in the second half to steal a big road win. The defense, meanwhile, has been steady all year. The Bulldogs have allowed some yards, especially over the past three weeks, but they've been competitive in almost every game this season. Despite a tough nondistrict schedule, Wylie defense has only once allowed more than 31 points in a game and its held its four 3A opponents to less than 18 points per contest.

What the Bulldogs need to do to win: Avoid drive-killing plays. The Wylie defense, as aggressive as it is, will make things tough for the Mustangs, who have had some issues with turnovers this year. But the Bulldogs offense will still have to do its part against an improved Sweetwater defense. If Wylie can cut out the negative plays that have been stalling drives and finish a few possessions in the end zone, the Bulldogs should be able to snap their three-game home losing streak and start district play with a win.

Daniel Youngblood's pick: Wylie 28, Sweetwater 14.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/06/sweetwater-wylie-football-preview/

Pendragon13
10-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Are the east side stands gonna be filled up with red tonight? Stephenville is the only one thats come close so far this year...

ccmom
10-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Listen online at

http://www.bulldogsliveonline.com/

Trashman
10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Good luck to the red ponies tonight!:stirpot:

ccmom
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Good luck to the red ponies tonight!:stirpot::tongue:

Sweetwater Red
10-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Good luck to the red ponies tonight!:stirpot:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sweetwater Red
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
:tongue:

He's not the only BW poster rooting for us. :devil:

ccmom
10-07-2011, 05:15 PM
He's not the only BW poster rooting for us. :devil: No doubt!

ccmom
10-07-2011, 05:18 PM
In honor of breast cancer awareness, many Wylie fans will be wearing pink tonight. I just didn't want you Sweetwater fans to wonder why so many of us will be wearing YOUR color tonight! 

Go Dawgs!!

garciap77
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
:cheerl: We beat Sweetwater!!! We are going to state!!!:cheerl:

Sweetwater let us back in the game, they just could not stop shooting themselves in the foot. We (Wylie) still have lots of work to do if want to get into the playoffs!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpg

bobcat1
10-07-2011, 10:28 PM
:cheerl: We beat Sweetwater!!! We are going to state!!!:cheerl:

Sweetwater let us back in the game, they just could not stop shooting themselves in the foot. We (Wylie) still have lots of work to do if want to get into the playoffs!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpgCongrats to Wylie!

Pendragon13
10-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I'll just be honest, Wylie played horribly tonight...yet two weeks in a row we come out on top. Two big plays were the difference in this game..

Lots of stuff to work on before district play resumes..

LionFan72
10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Good win Wylie! Think both teams exerted a little grit and effort last night, thought it would be a close game, Coach Slaughter is getting the Red ponies on track, and Wylie is banking on the big plays. Gonna get interesting this week, good luck to the Dogs and Ponies, thanks for the show!

injuredinmelee
10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I knew I should of gone to watch Albany/Stamford. First three quarters of this game were almost impossible to watch. Two not so good football teams trying to prove who sucked the least.

Pendragon13
10-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I will say this, the coaches shuffled around some players on the o-line and they did a good job giving the QB time to throw finally...but some bad throws/dropped passes killed what could have been a big night through the air. We had to rely on interceptions/big runs by the backs to win. Sweetwaters Argentinian kicker had a 47 yarder that would have been good from 55/60...once he gets used to the west Texas wind and kicking with a holder the stangs could win some close ones with his leg.

The most frustrating thing about the dawgs this year is the fact that they look bigger/stronger than our past championship/finalist/deep playoff run teams....but they aren't really playing up to that level yet.

injuredinmelee
10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
It's my opinion we just aren't very tough. No one seems to just want to whip the guy in front of them physically. Can't figure out if it is a want to or can't issue.