PDA

View Full Version : Odd penalty

turbostud
09-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I was listening to the Sherman@Sulphur Springs game on the radio tonight and Sherman got called for a penalty I have never heard of. Sulphur springs was lined up for a 50 Yrd field goal attempt. The ball was hiked and Sherman was called for a 15 yrd personal foul for "hitting the kicker before he got set." Anyone ever hear of this?

OldNavy
09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I was listening to the Sherman@Sulphur Springs game on the radio tonight and Sherman got called for a penalty I have never heard of. Sulphur springs was lined up for a 50 Yrd field goal attempt. The ball was hiked and Sherman was called for a 15 yrd personal foul for "hitting the kicker before he got set." Anyone ever hear of this?

TXMike can give you a technical explanation, but my understanding is you cannot hit the center while his head is down snapping the long snap. It is a safety thing. I don't recall it being a penalty 40 years ago.

turbostud
09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
TXMike can give you a technical explanation, but my understanding is you cannot hit the center while his head is down snapping the long snap. It is a safety thing. I don't recall it being a penalty 40 years ago.

So did I misunderstand and they said "center?"

TexMike
10-01-2011, 06:53 AM
No such thing as hitting a kicker before he is set. In fact, if you hit the kid who is GOING TO KICK but has not yet, you have not even hit a "kicker". He is not a kicker until he actually makes contact with the ball.

There is a rule that gives the snapper on scrimmake kick plays 1 second of protection before he can be hit after the snap.

I will have to do some research to see what was called in this game