PDA

View Full Version : Flags on hits are ruining games...

Old Tiger
09-30-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm annoyed that flags get called for every big hit.

YTBulldogs
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Tell em to stop making helmet-to-helmet contact or hitting a defenseless player and you won't see these flags on these "big hits".

Not like it was when we played back in the day. It's clear the coaches want this called, thus---why they implemented these rules here.

bobcat1
09-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I've never understood the defenseless receiver rule. With today's rule a defender has to wait until they catch the ball get both feet on the ground and start running. Maybe they should just put flags on the receiver so a defender could yank it. Football is a collision sport, always has been. Maybe a QB shouldn't hang their receiver out to dry. Maybe the QB needs the flag thrown on them for making a bad throw sometimes.

orange machine
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I've never understood the defenseless receiver rule. With today's rule a defender has to wait until they catch the ball get both feet on the ground and start running. Maybe they should just put flags on the receiver so a defender could yank it. Football is a collision sport, always has been. Maybe a QB shouldn't hang their receiver out to dry. Maybe the QB needs the flag thrown on them for making a bad throw sometimes.

This right here is the correct answer. Are the defenders supposed to just let the receiver catch the ball and start running before he hits him? If you dont want to get hit then dont play football go play tennis. It is one of the dumbest rules I can see not leading with your helmet and making helmet to helmet contact. Soon a runningback wont be able to lower his helmet when carrying the ball because he might hit the defender in his helmet or hit a defensless defender, its coming hide and watch.

Tin Cup
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
A perfect example of this was MNF Dallas vs Wash. Landry did not let our receiver catch the ball and hit him in mid air, ALLOWED.

later in game, Dallas defender hits receiver and personal foul.

They are not called the same in every game.

Phantom Stang
09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree. Receivers not having to be aware that they're going to have the crap knocked out of them as soon as they start to bring in the ball, takes away a psychological advantage of the defender.

YTBulldogs
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree. Receivers not having to be aware that they're going to have the crap knocked out of them as soon as they start to bring in the ball, takes away a psychological advantage of the defender.

Not sure this is what we are talking about PS. What you stated above isn't a foul, unless the defender went helmet to helmet or launched into the receiver.

It's those passes dropped well before the smack down occurred.

TexDoc
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Here's the actual rule:

NCAA 9-1-4:
No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck are of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul.

2-27-14 (definition of Defenseless Player):
A defenseless player is one who because his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. Examples of defenseless players are:
a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
b. A receiver whose focus in on catching a pass.
c. A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball.
D. A kick returner whose focus is on catching or recovering a kick in the air.
e. A player on the ground at the end of the play.
f. A player obviously out of the play.

These are examples but not the only ones affected by this definition.

The point is to prevent catastrophic injury. Football is a collision sport, but when a young man is disabled for life, is it really worth allowing this to happen? I think anyone would say no if it were their son.

OldBison75
09-30-2011, 12:49 PM
There is nothing in the rules that say a defender can't knock the crap outta a receiver with a good clean form tackle type hit. It is leading with the helmet or going for the head or neck that is the foul. They eliminated the old defensive lineman "forearm shiver" shot to the head of an offensive lineman years ago. This type forearm punch to the head or neck of the receiver has really been there a long time, but was seldom called except on late hits. Tackle with the head up, drive through the target, and don't launch your body into the receiver, and this won't be called most of the time. However, this is a call that relies on the judgement of the ref, and that is the reason that it is not a consistent call by all refs.

trojandad
09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
ok, im sayin it, tejas...

your right coaches want no helmet to helmet....but with all due respect for the coaches, my opinion is it ruins the game...

i know ill be disagreed with, im ok with that....all the years of pro ball going after each other and all the millions and millions of hits, and i can only remember two paralyzed players, darryl stingley and i think another named morgan...i sure dont want these guys hurt like that....nick buoniconti had his son get hurt spinal wise and started pushing for not leading with the helmet, i can understand his perspective, not sure i wouldnt think the same if my son got hurt that way, but if i played as long as he did leading with my helmet and not saying a word bad about it only to do it now when it negatively affected me, id have a hypocrisy problem with that, however much i loved my son....

i LOVE (being facetious, folks) these people like michael j fox and chris reeves that only work(ed) for the groups against parkinsons and paralysis only after it happens to them...when i had cancer, i never once thought of working for a cancer group now that i had it....where was i for this group when it never affected me prior to this?....i picked cystic fibrosis and muscular dystrophy groups to help and was grateful everyday i nor my family never had it....in the 11 months i was in the hospital, when i COULD walk, id go visit those poor CF and MD kids....

just saying football IS violent, people DO get hurt, but the numbers are few as to permanently disabled when compared to the number of hits, im just not one of those wanting to mess with that fun of ringing a guys bell, or even getting mine rung too (when id finally woke up)....its like our moms got ahold of the game....(i now offended another group....lol)

TexDoc
09-30-2011, 12:57 PM
These hits happen at such a high speed that sometimes what you think you saw may not be what actually happened. Some times the defender goes shoulder to shoulder, it snaps the receiver's head and it almost appears that it was a shot to the head. It is a very difficult call in real time speed.

YTBulldogs
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
It is a very difficult call in real time speed.

You got that right Doc. One of the toughest. Except the defenseless player one. That's pretty easy to see and determine.

Pendragon13
09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I agree. Receivers not having to be aware that they're going to have the crap knocked out of them as soon as they start to bring in the ball, takes away a psychological advantage of the defender.Back in my day recievers were taught "you're going to get popped no matter what...catch the damn ball" :ack!:

bobcat1
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree when the ball is not caught and the player is pummeled afterwards when the defender clearly had time to pull up should be flagged. The launching is ridiculous. I guess it is okay for a running back to launch himself into a player or over the goal line. You can't have it both ways.

bowleghorses
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
My son was playing in a JV game three weeks ago. He plays strong safety. The opposing team ran a sweep to his side and the split receiver was in the act of blocking him when a pulling guard kindly placed the top of his helmet in the earhole of my boy. He has been out with a concussion since then. But you know what, football is a contact sport and if you play scared to get hurt, you are gunna be exposed to more and more injuries. I bet the tunnel vision will not be an issue when he finally gets to suit up again.

bobcat1
09-30-2011, 02:05 PM
My son was playing in a JV game three weeks ago. He plays strong safety. The opposing team ran a sweep to his side and the split receiver was in the act of blocking him when a pulling guard kindly placed the top of his helmet in the earhole of my boy. He has been out with a concussion since then. But you know what, football is a contact sport and if you play scared to get hurt, you are gunna be exposed to more and more injuries. I bet the tunnel vision will not be an issue when he finally gets to suit up again.Exactly and I bet no flag was thrown on the pullin guard either.

Phantom Stang
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Not sure this is what we are talking about PS. What you stated above isn't a foul, unless the defender went helmet to helmet or launched into the receiver.

It's those passes dropped well before the smack down occurred.
My post might not have fit what you're trying to narrow the subject down to, but i think it fit the starter post, as well as the overall discussion just fine.

Here's an example of what I was talking about. If you watch closely you'll see that no one's head or neck was involved in the man to man contact.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3-LfFzHxM

Phantom Stang
09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, their helmets might've touched just a little.:D

Emerson1
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
You got that right Doc. One of the toughest. Except the defenseless player one. That's pretty easy to see and determine.

On TV maybe. Imagine it's a little bit harder to see on the field where the game is going 100 times as fast as how it looks on TV.

'Necks 2013-14
09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Here is my take. Helment to helment....flag. Launching....flag. Facemask to helment....NO flag. Kids need to be taught first and foremost to see what they are hitting anyway! And yes, when the DB lights up the receiver and the ball was CLEARLY not going to be caught....flag. Other than that I feel the game is ALREADY slanted toward the offensive side of the ball and if you want all the glory that comes with playing offense, then you should be ready and willing to pay the price of a big--clean--slobberknocker! JMHO.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm annoyed that flags get called for every big hit.
I'm annoyed that potential injury-causing violations aren't called consistently!

Txbroadcaster
09-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Exactly and I bet no flag was thrown on the pullin guard either.

They called one on the Texas WR( and IMO was a bad call)

I think the biggest issue for me is the lack of consistency. just like mentioned before...Landry's hit was just as bad or worse as fat ar the rule and it goes uncalled

Also wth is targeting lol...every defender targets LOL

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm talking about the ones that until replay you realize that it was helmet to shoulder or chest....shoulder to shoulder....

I don't think penalties should be enforced during games on these hits because they can have a huge impact on the game....I think fining the players for the hits is the better adjustment.

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm annoyed that potential injury-causing violations aren't called consistently!I have read that most of the concussion problems are in OL/DL.

Pendragon13
10-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Here's another take on the matter..
Anyone else notice that in spite of the rule changes and increased number of flags thrown for vicious hits, there also seems to be an increased number of injuries at all levels versus 10-20 years ago? I remember back when I was playing the most common injury besides mild ankle sprains were broken arms, fingers, hands and separated shoulders...many of which could be played with or had a fairly quick recovery. These days it seems like wrecked knees, broken legs and serious ankle sprains are more common. Could it be because we're teaching kids to avoid the high hits? I was taught to plant my facemask into the ballcarriers chest and drive him to the ground..

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I have read that most of the concussion problems are in OL/DL.
I'm talking ALL violations, not just those that cause concussions...i.e. horse collars, high-low block (aka chop block), block in the back, facemask, late hits, hits out of bounds, roughing the whoever, etc.

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm talking ALL violations, not just those that cause concussions...i.e. horse collars, high-low block (aka chop block), block in the back, facemask, late hits, hits out of bounds, roughing the whoever, etc.You have to admit the roughing the passer penalties in the NFL are ridiculous

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
You have to admit the roughing the passer penalties in the NFL are ridiculous
No, I don't. :p

Other than the Super Bowl, I might have time to watch 3-4 NFL games a year.

bobcat1
10-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Here's another take on the matter..
Anyone else notice that in spite of the rule changes and increased number of flags thrown for vicious hits, there also seems to be an increased number of injuries at all levels versus 10-20 years ago? I remember back when I was playing the most common injury besides mild ankle sprains were broken arms, fingers, hands and separated shoulders...many of which could be played with or had a fairly quick recovery. These days it seems like wrecked knees, broken legs and serious ankle sprains are more common. Could it be because we're teaching kids to avoid the high hits? I was taught to plant my facemask into the ballcarriers chest and drive him to the ground..YOu nailed it. Kids are taught to hit not form tackle anymore. Form tackling is going away more and more every year. Kids and pros want to be the highlight reel instead of playing fundementally sound ball by blocking and tackling.

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
just now in the baylor k state game....

they call a penalty on baylor offense for a damn good block

then they don't call a penalty on dixon for his helmet to helmet on the kstate qb....

bs penalties.