PDA

View Full Version : My list of best and worst list football fields

ExScoop
09-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Some of the best-Palacios,Boling, East Bernard, Louise, Sweeny, Columbia, Columbus
Worst list-Bay City, Wharton, El Campo, Tidehaven, Van Vleck
Fair-, Lamar Cons, Needville
Havent't been at Rice Consolidated, Sealy, La Grange, Bellville, Hallettsville, La Grange, and Shiner in a while

Manso/V8
09-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Some of the best-Palacios,Boling, East Bernard, Louise, Sweeny, Columbia, Columbus
Worst list-Bay City, Wharton, El Campo, Tidehaven, Van Vleck
Fair-, Lamar Cons, Needville
Havent't been at Rice Consolidated, Sealy, La Grange, Bellville, Hallettsville, La Grange, and Shiner in a while

Wimberley has a nice stadium, fake turf and all.
Navasota has some of the fancy artificial turf too.

The Bellville Brahmas wins the best stadium name award, The Pasture of Pain.

trojandad
09-28-2011, 04:30 AM
ours was so bad (before our current stadium) that in '92 when we went to state, we had only 3 home games that year...nobody, except district foes required to play our home games at our place would play us here....even our current stadium is one of the poorest looking in 3a...

i remember after hurricane rita, a tornado came thru and took out everything at buna's stadium, even the flagpole, very surreal site just seeing yard markers on grass with no stands, buildings, fencing, etc...

mwrams
09-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Mineral Wells has one of the best complexes in Class 3A. Football Stadium seats 8000, separate track Field.

BullBoy
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Mineral Wells has one of the best complexes in Class 3A. Football Stadium seats 8000, separate track Field.

yep and we'll be getting our first district road victory up there in two weeks.:cheerl:

mwrams
09-28-2011, 06:12 AM
yep and we'll be getting our first district road victory up there in two weeks.:cheerl:

Don't go so fast there Bullboy. These are not the same Rams your mother warned you about. I see the Rams winning this one after blowing out Diamond Hill this Friday for a warm up.

NastySlot
09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
ours was so bad (before our current stadium) that in '92 when we went to state, we had only 3 home games that year...nobody, except district foes required to play our home games at our place would play us here....even our current stadium is one of the poorest looking in 3a...

i remember after hurricane rita, a tornado came thru and took out everything at buna's stadium, even the flagpole, very surreal site just seeing yard markers on grass with no stands, buildings, fencing, etc...

scouted Splendora/Coldsprings along along time ago..........didn't use to be a gym at the end of an endzone and the goal post were real close to it...and the post were on a little incline and leaned forward.

buckeyebob
09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Worst: Daingerfield - small visitors side, old, uncomfortable, toilets stink

Best: Tyler Trinity Mother Francis (our home away from home) - spacious, clean, great facilities, gret seating (with arms on seats), snack bar a few steps away from seating, jumbotron, and the smokes can enjoy from the end zone & still enjoy the game.

Worst Food: Gilmer - it is truly bad...they built the snack bar with no ovens / ranges (fire supresion not required)...cheapskates...and the location for HOME side...well, the designer should be shot...not one redeaming value accept for Chic Filet
Best Food: Carthage & Longview

Worst Traffic / Parking: Halsville with Carthage, Hendesron (that is if you ever find it in the begining) & Tatum in a run for the #1...and these are NEW stadiums accept for Henderson which is old
Best Traffic / Parking: None...why is it that no one evers seems to pay attenion to getting people in & out Honorable Mention: Gilmer:Just because I am a shameful homer and it is decent.

Old LB
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Gordon Wood is a nice stadium, Waco ISD, Mustang Bowl, Shotwell, Grande in Midland is crazy nice. Anyone seen the new 6-man stadium in Zephyr Texas, a land owner donated land for the stadium and they build a complete new facility complete with turf. Trent Texas has a whole new school complete with stadium and blue turf. :ack!: Almost forgot Wylie's country club stadium :doh:

greendawg84
09-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Mineral Wells is for sure nice! Thanks Walmart !

Worst
Liberty Hill ( they are getting a new one fall 2014)
Bandera
Salado

waterboy
09-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Best: Tyler Trinity Mother Francis (our home away from home) - spacious, clean, great facilities, gret seating (with arms on seats), snack bar a few steps away from seating, jumbotron, and the smokes can enjoy from the end zone & still enjoy the game.

Worst Food: Gilmer - it is truly bad...they built the snack bar with no ovens / ranges (fire supresion not required)...cheapskates...and the location for HOME side...well, the designer should be shot...not one redeaming value accept for Chic Filet

Worst Traffic / Parking: Halsville with Carthage, Hendesron (that is if you ever find it in the begining) & Tatum in a run for the #1...and these are NEW stadiums accept for Henderson which is old
Best Traffic / Parking: None...why is it that no one evers seems to pay attenion to getting people in & out Honorable Mention: Gilmer:Just because I am a shameful homer and it is decent.
There's never enough parking at any of the stadiums we go to regularly, except maybe TMF Rose. Mt. Pleasant's stadium has ample parking space, especially if you get there early enough. As bad as Daingerfield's stadium is I still think Liberty-Eylau's stadium is worse. Buckeye Stadium is nice, but you're right about the homeside concession stand. Whoever designed it oughta be hog-tied and horse-whipped.

Matthew328
09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Some of the Best I've Been To
Socorro Student Activites Center, El Paso
Grande Comm Stadium, Midland
Aledo
Mineral Wells
Newsome Stadium, Mansfield
CH Collins, Denton
Clark Field, Plano
Kincaide Stadium, Dallas
Midlothian
Waco ISD
Round Rock Athletic Complex
Heroes Stadium, San Antonio
Thomas Center, Beaumont
Joshua

Some of the Worst
Castleberry
Red Oak
Crowley
Pleasant Grove Stadium, Dallas

Phil C
09-28-2011, 07:58 AM
One of the worse is the Orange Grove football stadium especially on the visitors' side where it is too small. One of ther coaches told me that a new stadium was the next project but I guess it has been moved back due to economy but they should have expanded the visitors' side. They put both bands in chairs near the field which isn't safe and let some of the visitor's sit on a part of the home side.
Cuero needs to expand their home side because some of their fans though friendly have to sit on the visitors' side.

Sinton now has a great stadium. I just wish they could have had a separate track and field stadium when first built.

Goliad used to have a bad visitors' side also but to their credit they expanded their stadium and and the visitor's side. They have done a great job.

NastySlot
09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Mineral Wells is for sure nice! Thanks Walmart !

Worst
Liberty Hill ( they are getting a new one fall 2014)
Bandera
Salado

still should be on worst list...but Bandera's present is still a lot better the old one.

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Best: Too many to count. But, I'll be biased and put Mustang Bowl at the top simply because there is not a bad seat in the house.

Worst: Big Spring's Memorial Stadium and it's not even close.

95mustang
09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Best: Gordon Wood Stadium, Mustang Bowl Sweetwater, Mustang Bowl Andrews

and

Agreeing with Red on this one.

BwdLion73
09-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Best: Too many to count. But, I'll be biased and put Mustang Bowl at the top simply because there is not a bad seat in the house.

I cant believe it took this long to recognize the Mustang Bowl. I think it is a great stadium to watch a game in. Is the parking any better than it was years ago? I watched a Stephenville playoff game there once and should have taken water to drink for the trip from the car to the stadium! :)

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I cant believe it took this long to recognize the Mustang Bowl. I think it is a great stadium to watch a game in. Is the parking any better than it was years ago? I watched a Stephenville playoff game there once and should have taken water to drink for the trip from the car to the stadium! :)

Nope. There is virtually no parking on the visitor's side unless you park in somebody's drive way. The parking lot that was near by is now the home of the science and technology building. They did clear a few lots on the home side and there is a ton of parking over there now. But, you might need to bring even more water for the walk to the gate. Lol

Matthew328
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the Mustang Bowl a lot, but its not one of my faves...I consider it one of the top older stadiums in the state though

ccmom
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I have always liked Sweetwater's Mustang Bowl and the renovations made in recent years are super nice.

I like Midland's Grande a lot, too.

I think the atmosphere and sense of history and tradition is special at Gordon Wood, but it could use some sprucing up. The tunnel and the dramatic entrance that the Lions make is cool, though.

ol country boy
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
La Grange dressing for the visitors is the worst I have been in.

NastySlot
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM

I agree...was flooded when were there...and it stunk.

The visitor dressing room at Bay City had some of the biggest Mosquitos i've ever seen.

BLACK ATTACK
09-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Then you haven't experienced the visitor's dressing room in Burkburnett

garciap77
09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I have always liked Sweetwater's Mustang Bowl and the renovations made in recent years are super nice.

I like Midland's Grande a lot, too.

I think the atmosphere and sense of history and tradition is special at Gordon Wood, but it could use some sprucing up. The tunnel and the dramatic entrance that the Lions make is cool, though.

I thought you told me you liked Synder's stadium last time we were down there?:D

upper20
09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Aledo
Mineral Wells
CH Collins, Denton
Clark Field, Plano
Kincaide Stadium, Dallas
Midlothian
Waco ISD
Thomas Center, Beaumont
Joshua

Some of the Worst
Castleberry
Red Oak
Crowley

Aledo's facility is very nice, but unless they have done something to the roads in the past two years, the traffic flow there is horrible!

Agree with SW Red - in our part of the world, Big Spring's stadium is the worst! Also, unless Ballinger has made improvements since dropping to 2A, theirs is right up there with B.S.

LIONS#1
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I remember the OLD stadium y'all had... Has to have been to ten worst befor the new one of course!!:)

Gsquared
09-28-2011, 01:04 PM

I enjoyed the stadium in Coldspring. Yeah wasnt big or anything but cozy. Refreshing break from all the cookie cutter stadiums.

trojandad
09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Then you haven't experienced the visitor's dressing room in Burkburnett

shepherd has the opposition dress out in their weight room....the wall of the weight room facing the people entering the stadium is glass, so the boys are doing a striptease in front of family, friends, God and the works...to top it off they usually turn the thermostat up to 90 before the visiting team arrives, so the boys also have to open the doors to get air....arent rivalries great?!?!

95mustang
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I thought you told me you liked Synder's stadium last time we were down there?:D

It wasn't the stadium she liked it was the bathroom facilities. :D

MGAR
09-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Bob, Bob, Bob... Tatum's stadium is NOT new. Unless you consider new something built 30-40 years ago or so.

Oh and Gilmers stadium sucks for visitor parking..

oldtownag
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM

You my friend do not know where to park. Call me and I will let you in on my secret parking place for next year!

Saggy Aggie
09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
That stadium over in cypress in pretty sweet.

FB-fanatic
09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Gordon Wood is a nice stadium, Waco ISD, Mustang Bowl, Shotwell, Grande in Midland is crazy nice. Anyone seen the new 6-man stadium in Zephyr Texas, a land owner donated land for the stadium and they build a complete new facility complete with turf. Trent Texas has a whole new school complete with stadium and blue turf. :ack!: Almost forgot Wylie's country club stadium :doh:

Have driven by the Zebras stadium. Very nice.

bobcat4life
09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Snyder could use a few upgrades:

Roughneck93
09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Snyder could use a few upgrades:266:spitlol: Nice!

buckeyebob
09-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Bob, Bob, Bob... Tatum's stadium is NOT new. Unless you consider new something built 30-40 years ago or so.

Oh and Gilmers stadium sucks for visitor parking..

You fooled me...thought it was new(er)...ours is almost 50...Tatum has remodeld.

As far as parking...visitors have basically the same as home...lot's of curb side parking with a heart healthy hike.

BobcatBennie
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I would put that stadium over in Arlington on the worst list.

Tickets and concessions are way too expensive, as well as the parking. So, I just hate going there.

Matthew328
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I actually enjoiy going to Jerry World...lol

kaorder1999
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
apparantly you havent been to Pleasant Grove this year!

Aledo
Mineral Wells
CH Collins, Denton
Clark Field, Plano
Kincaide Stadium, Dallas
Midlothian
Waco ISD
Thomas Center, Beaumont
Joshua

Some of the Worst
Castleberry
Red Oak
Crowley

sTxforlife
09-29-2011, 10:03 AM
it was terrible when we played there two years ago, it smelled and it was barely tall enough to stand in

buff4ever
09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
it was terrible when we played there two years ago, it smelled and it was barely tall enough to stand in

2 years ago, it was bad 20 years ago, and it hasn't changed. That is how bad it is.

trojandad
09-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I actually enjoiy going to Jerry World...lol

i enjoyed it, but i sure have a hard time with the way that walkways around it are interrupted....not much flow in a big crowd....

hookandladder
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Agree, the old visitor's dressing room was a dump. First thing our new coach did last year was move the visitors dressing to our JH dressing room, definitely better then the old one but neither home or visitor's is in very good shape. Need major improvement's however people in LG do not want to spend money on athletic fields, very fortunate our new Super. built our new baseball and softball fields with some extra cash sitting around.

slpybear the bullfan
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

And one of the most expensive to visit. $7 a head. Student, Adult, either one. General Admission. Hope it hasn't gone up any since last visit.

Matthew328
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow the district doesn't set prices for admission??

slpybear the bullfan
09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Snyder could use a few upgrades:

Hmmm... I see the box blind. Now, where is the deer feeder at?

buckeyebob
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
You my friend do not know where to park. Call me and I will let you in on my secret parking place for next year!

At best, it will be next year...but that I am not sure of...you'll probably will be moving on to bigger & better and we will continue the tradition

regaleagle
09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
In 2A, S&S Consilidated's field is the most dangerous I've seen. No sideline or bench area to speak of (5 ft. dpth.), the stands right on top of the field. A taclke at the sidelines or a passplay near the sidelines is a very dangerous play.

bobcat4life
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Snyder has a beautiful stadium:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt114/pburns_album/snyderfootballfield.jpg

YTBulldogs
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Cuero needs to expand their home side because some of their fans though friendly have to sit on the visitors' side.

They'd sit there even if they had a seat on the home side. Been that way for decades.

garciap77
09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Snyder has a beautiful stadium:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt114/pburns_album/snyderfootballfield.jpg

When did you take that photo? I have a more recent photo! I like the new curtain!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/snyderfootballfieldcopy.jpg

;)

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Mexia's rodeo arena. Lighting at Marlin

Pendragon13
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
The absolute best High school stadiums have already been listed (newsome, Mineral Wells, etc..) so I'll just stick with our district...

1. Wylie Bulldog stadium- yeah, I'm a homer but it does have the largest seating capacity in the district...and largest video board.
2. Mustang Bowl- just a cool way to build a stadium, and now it's updated to the 21st century...as long as you don't have a car to park.
3. Gordon Wood- lots of history you can feel, but you can also feel the age. Needs less statues and more modernizing
4. Big Spring/Snyder tie for last. Big Spring is just all around old, (only grass field left in our district) and even though Snyder does have a modern drought resistant playing surface...everything else leaves a bit to be desired. ;)

ccmom
09-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Even though I've been clear about my disappointment in Snyder's stadium (nice field, though ), unless BS has made some major improvements since I was there many years ago, IMO Snyder's is far better than Big Spring.

gtownfan
09-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Agree, the old visitor's dressing room was a dump. First thing our new coach did last year was move the visitors dressing to our JH dressing room, definitely better then the old one but neither home or visitor's is in very good shape. Need major improvement's however people in LG do not want to spend money on athletic fields, very fortunate our new Super. built our new baseball and softball fields with some extra cash sitting around.

Agreed, your baseball/softball fields are great. Also at least at the baseball field, best burgers I've had at an athletic facility!!

Old LB
09-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Even though I've been clear about my disappointment in Snyder's stadium (nice field, though ), unless BS has made some major improvements since I was there many years ago, IMO Snyder's is far better than Big Spring.

Was in Big Spring Tuesday of this week, the football stadium is the least of the problem. Has to be one of the dirtiest towns in the state, I will say though, a lot of nice folks. It is not a surprise they have had enrollment drops and have not had as much success as they had in the past.

DaHop72
10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Even though I've been clear about my disappointment in Snyder's stadium (nice field, though ), unless BS has made some major improvements since I was there many years ago, IMO Snyder's is far better than Big Spring.All new stands next year just for you, home and visitor.:clap:

ccmom
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
All new stands next year just for you, home and visitor.:clap: Sweet!!!! Does that mean the visitors get their own side??

Buff42
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM

+1

It sucked 30 years ago when I got dressed in the SAME locker room!

Tom Foolery
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I love the old "bowl" stadiums like Iowa Park and Vernon. Not great facilities but still have a nostalgic feel. How about the old stadium in Gainsville? They made the home fans face the west sun for 50 years. New stadium is nice. Mineral Wells is far-and- away best in state.