View Full Version : CS/Brownwood Thoughts

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
-Brownwood run D is not good at all
-#9 stares down receivers
-What is #9 status?
-The line judge on the CS side arm should be sore for throwing all those flags
-both teams made a lot of mistakes
-Aside from the kickoff return for a TD Vacarro was not as involved as I thought/hoped he would be
-CS defense is pretty good and well disciplined
-Brownwood folks don't travel
-Refs were equally inconsistent to both sides
-the 65 yard td that was called back and points taken off the board because of an inadvertent whistle was the biggest killer of CS momentum.

Biggest Disappointment: Shelby Shipley not being there.

ccmom
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm curious if you have an opinion of the Brownwood/Wylie matchup since you have seen both play. I realize that is several weeks away and both teams are dealing with numerous injuries. I just thought your opinion might give us something to talk about since this place is pretty boring lately.

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm curious if you have an opinion of the Brownwood/Wylie matchup since you have seen both play. I realize that is several weeks away and both teams are dealing with numerous injuries. I just thought your opinion might give us something to talk about since this place is pretty boring lately.I will take Abilene Wylie....not impressed with the defense of Brownwood and Wylie can get after the QB. There were a lot of open receivers that the QB for CS didn't hit and drops hurt CS as well. I think the AW passing game can create running lanes for the RB and if the RB has a good game and can get 100 yards it should be a 10 point win.

Bosqueville
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Brownwood folks don't travel... That's a good one. Maybe not to this game but in general, I would put our numbers up against most of 3A!

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Brownwood folks don't travel... That's a good one. Maybe not to this game but in general, I would put our numbers up against most of 3A!The best traveling fan base I've ever witnessed was Burnet back in the day....averaged about 10,000 a game.

hollywood
09-26-2011, 02:06 PM
The best traveling fan base I've ever witnessed was Burnet back in the day....averaged about 10,000 a game. :crazy:

Cam
09-26-2011, 02:15 PM
The best traveling fan base I've ever witnessed was Burnet back in the day....averaged about 10,000 a game.

Yeah...but all those folks are either dead or dyin'....or Bob convinced them all to move to Coppell with him!!!...alot of em' are now wonderin' the streets of Dallas!!...:):stirpot::eek:
Hopefully someday soon, Burnet will have that kind of following again...but you are right Tiger, I was livin' in Dallas at the time and went to see Burnet play for the SC at Texas Stadium...and man, they had that house packed....I think they even brought the deceased and propped em' up in a chair!!...a few dogs too..and I saw at least one pet goat!!..

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
:crazy:For real....

http://www.eventprocess.com/BrokerMaps/KyleField_ALL.gif

I saw them fill section 101-110 at Kyle field twice.

pirate4state
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah...but all those folks are either dead or dyin'....or Bob convinced them all to move to Coppell with him!!!...alot of em' are now wonderin' the streets of Dallas!!...:):stirpot::eek:
Hopefully someday soon, Burnet will have that kind of following again...but you are right Tiger, I was livin' in Dallas at the time and went to see Burnet play for the SC at Texas Stadium...and man, they had that house packed....I think they even brought the deceased and propped em' up in a chair!!...a few dogs too..and I saw at least one pet goat!!..

bring out yer dead!

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
bring out yer dead!but I'm not dead!

BwdLion73
09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
The best traveling fan base I've ever witnessed was Burnet back in the day....averaged about 10,000 a game.

Whats ... back in the day?

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 02:22 PM

02-05

bwdlionfan
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Did you make it to any of our playoff games last year?

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Did you make it to any of our playoff games last year?Yes and it is no where close to what Burnet was rocking back when they were rocking.

BwdLion73
09-26-2011, 02:37 PM
02-05

:) Who drove you to the games? :stirpot:

LIONS#1
09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
:) Who drove you to the games? :stirpot:
Oh I am sure he counted every person that was there and interviewed each person to make sure they were there to support Burnet and not some t-shirt hanging on fan that didn't have anything to do that night cuz their team was a plain basketball....you know!!:1popcorn: coulda been 10,001 or 9,999 or just yer imagination!!:crazy:

Black_Magic
09-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes and it is no where close to what Burnet was rocking back when they were rocking. its a waste of time for you dont you know? your now debating with a BW poster.. Give it up... they are the Poster child about Texans. everything is bigger and better from Brownwood.

LionFan72
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
but I'm not dead!

That is subject to interpretation, my friend!

LionFan72
09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
And barring anymore injuries to either Wylie or Brownwood, I'll take the Lions by 10 points.

garciap77
09-27-2011, 07:36 AM

02-05

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/baby-laugh.gif

BwdLion73
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Well he goes by Old Tiger......I just thought he might have been around longer than just in this decade. :)

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
i was there too..

brownwood's crowd was pathetically small, and not very loud at all. only about 20-30 people were even standing.
the CS qb threw a beautiful ball, unfortunately half the time the dude had no idea where it was going lol he threw some REALLY bad throws to wide open receivers that resulted in incompletions or pics.
little vacarrp is half the player his brother was in HS
the brownwood QB, #9 stared his receivers down worse than any HS qb i've seen in a while, it was apparent that even before he got hurt shipley had no faith in the kid. lost of VERY conservative routes if they chose to pass at all

the line judge and just officiating crew as a whole was ATROCIOUS--worst i have seen in forever
watching shipley get that call overturned was awesome haha
ratcliff or whatever is a pretty good runner...but his whole "im better than all my teammates" attitude is hard to watch
i saw shipley attempt to straighten his ass out a couple times... the kid is def "confident" to say the least
the CS running back and qb in the second half just gutted the brownwood defense on the same damn read play.. it worked literally like every time, either brownwood had a bad game in that dept or brownwood better find a defensive line quickly...because they got pushed around badly
was impressed by #9's running ability though before he got clocked...that sucker could tuck it down and truck someone

good seeing old tiger there as well....not a single brownwood poster showed up at the m&g though...pretty much solidified what me and old tiger already assumed: y'all brownwood posters are all just a bunch of tee shirt fans

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 11:18 AM
overall both teams just looked like average 3A teams...nothing special at all.

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
i was there too..

brownwood's crowd was pathetically small, and not very loud at all. only about 20-30 people were even standing.

I was one of those 20-30, and while our crowd was extremely small... I don't think it was any smaller than any other 3A schools who are playing a non-district game two hours from home unless the team is doing spectacular and has a huge following (like us last year).

overall both teams just looked like average 3A teams...nothing special at all.

I agree. I think both will be playoff teams and both could win a game or two depending on who they draw, but unless they get it together they won't make any noise.

Old Tiger
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I was one of those 20-30, and while our crowd was extremely small... I don't think it was any smaller than any other 3A schools who are playing a non-district game two hours from home unless the team is doing spectacular and has a huge following (like us last year).

I agree. I think both will be playoff teams and both could win a game or two depending on who they draw, but unless they get it together they won't make any noise.Brownwood will go about 3 rounds deep only because the region is crap.

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Brownwood will go about 3 rounds deep only because the region is crap.

If we get out of round 1, round 2 could be one of these:

District 7
Bridgeport
Decatur
Lake Worth
Mineral Wells
River Oaks Castleberry
District 8
Alvarado
Glen Rose
Hillsboro
Kennedale
Venus
West

Kennedale could give us some trouble, I don't know must about most of those... we probably won't have to deal with Alvarado as Wylie will go big school (unless Sweetwater gets in and Wylie misses)

ccmom
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
If we get out of round 1, round 2 could be one of these:

District 7
Bridgeport
Decatur
Lake Worth
Mineral Wells
River Oaks Castleberry
District 8
Alvarado
Glen Rose
Hillsboro
Kennedale
Venus
West

Kennedale could give us some trouble, I don't know must about most of those... we probably won't have to deal with Alvarado as Wylie will go big school (unless Sweetwater gets in and Wylie misses)

Well I guess you are pretty confident Brownwood won't miss the playoffs again, huh? Just a reminder that round 1 is not guaranteed for anybody at this point. :wave:

LIONS#1
09-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Great assessment for maybe a third grader!!:wave:

LIONS#1
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
i was there too..

the CS qb threw a beautiful ball, unfortunately half the time the dude had no idea where it was going lol he threw some REALLY bad throws to wide open receivers that resulted in incompletions or pics.
the brownwood QB, #9 stared his receivers down worse than any HS qb i've seen in a while, it was apparent that even before he got hurt shipley had no faith in the kid. lost of VERY conservative routes if they chose to pass at all

the line judge and just officiating crew as a whole was ATROCIOUS--worst i have seen in forever
ratcliff or whatever is a pretty good runner...but his whole "im better than all my teammates" attitude is hard to watch
i saw shipley attempt to straighten his ass out a couple times... the kid is def "confident" to say the least
the CS running back and qb in the second half just gutted the brownwood defense on the same damn read play.. it worked literally like every time, either brownwood had a bad game in that dept or brownwood better find a defensive line quickly...because they got pushed around badly
was impressed by #9's running ability though before he got clocked...that sucker could tuck it down and truck someone

good seeing old tiger there as well....not a single brownwood poster showed up at the m&g though...pretty much solidified what me and old tiger already assumed: y'all brownwood posters are all just a bunch of tee shirt fans

This is what I am talkin about!!

ccmom
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM

You know you could just tell us what points you disagree with or post your own assessment. Just a thought...

BwdLion73
09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I would disagree about the tee shirt fans.....and maybe we just did not want to see Old Tiger.:1popcorn:

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Well I guess you are pretty confident Brownwood won't miss the playoffs again, huh? Just a reminder that round 1 is not guaranteed for anybody at this point. :wave:

I didn't know I needed to cover every single scenario of whether we get in or not, since the discussion was who we would run up against :rolleyes:

ccmom
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I didn't know I needed to cover every single scenario of whether we get in or not, since the discussion was who we would run up against :rolleyes:

It's ok...now you know!!:thumbsup::taunt:

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
It's ok...now you know!!:thumbsup::taunt:

Just one more time, for you :rolleyes:

Trashman
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
The reason Brownwood did not travel well to this game? There were no advance ticket sales and the stadium only seats 4800. Our fans are spoiled, having played in 4A stadiums for so long.

Old Tiger
09-27-2011, 03:46 PM
The reason Brownwood did not travel well to this game? There were no advance ticket sales and the stadium only seats 4800. Our fans are spoiled, having played in 4A stadiums for so long. You can purchase AW football tickets through stubhub and ticketmaster....they also have debit machines at the gats and concession stands.

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
You can purchase AW football tickets through stubhub and ticketmaster....they also have debit machines at the gats and concession stands.

You have to watch for scalpers though

Old Tiger
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
You have to watch for scalpers thoughI smell bacon

bwdlionfan
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
I smell bacon

with or without wings?

LIONS#1
09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
i was there too..

ccmom:You know you could just tell us what points you disagree with or post your own assessment. Just a thought...

Out of town games in pre-district with high gas prices and all make it hard on folks to attend their teams games. I had other obligations for this Friday night so I couldn't make it. I noticed you didn't happen to be at the Liberty Hill game:1popcorn: supporting the Panthers vs Rockdale game but you were obviously at this game...I suspect you live close by and and didn't want to make that loooong drive to da'hill and just didn't have anything better to do on Friday night but go to a China Spring game ...right?:1popcorn::1popcorn: Was Rabid Cougar there? or any other CS folks there that frequent the board...or is this just about Brownwood Again??:1popcorn: Randy Rogers Recruiting doesn't agree with you on Vaccaro there d and neither do I. Vaccaro did return a kickoff for 6 points and still plays on both sides of the ball. Kid has very good potential and his motor never stops. Gonna be a great DB at the next level. Oh and Shipley has faith in the team he coaches as well as all the other coaches from Brownwood...so your cutesy little tirade about "no faith" is reaching at best.. I will agree with you on just one point in you assessment of the game and that is that the Officiating was real BAD!! Ratliff however is a leader and is a gamer and anyone who wants to win has to have a gamers attitude especially when your starting QB goes out. I guess through your eyes it looks different but LMAO whatever dude.. Our D Line has been porous this year as everyone that knows Brownwood football knows this and was exploited by Stephenville as well...it needs some shoring up and we need some key players healthy and we should be OK by district. That is whats important anyway...the pre district games get a team ready for district.We got an ugly win but hey a W is better than a non-w... I don't know what to tell ya about the Brownwood posters not showing up for the M&G...maybe they have already met you and tigger before and...*sigh*....*Bows head*....*shakes head left to right* ( I stole this from a poster I saw here a while back and though it fit in this post:cheerl:)...wasn't impressed...Just sayin:stirpot::1popcorn: Maybe one day I will be fortunate to be graced by daddy and tigger's presence:crazy::1popcorn:
In Closing I would like to point out that this years Brownwood Lions is not by any means last years Lion team. This year we are an average team but that is better than a below average team at LEAST we Won the game against CS Just sayin...We as fans of all our respective teams Believe in our boys and support them when we can and will always take up for OUR team when we hear message board fodder spewed from individules that like to stir the pot so to say..IDK who you are if you talk crap about my team you are gonna get it right backl at cha!!!
Now back to your regular scheduled programming!!

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Elaborate...

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Lions#1.... Didn't talk any crap, just listed some observations. Every single one of them is true too. I apologize though for saying things that you obviously do not want to hear about your team.

95mustang
09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Lions#1.... Didn't talk any crap, just listed some observations. Every single one of them is true too. I apologize though for saying things that you obviously do not want to hear about your team.

Observations or opinions? Just curious because anyone that knows Ratliff (not Ratcliff) knows he is a leader and gives credit to every other player on the team before he takes any credit himself. He is a fine young man. Obviously your observations were a little off. I don't disagree with what you saw or thought you saw because you are entitled to your opinion. I know that Brownwood will be fine. We may not make it as exciting as last year but this team will play hard every game and that is all we can ask for a group of young men representing their school on Friday nights.

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
We may not make it as exciting as last year but this team will play hard every game and that is all we can ask for a group of young men representing their school on Friday nights.

I'll keep my opinion of y'alls RB's attitude to my self. But, this part of your post tells me you weren't at the Stephenville game.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
exactly....i was in a group of 6 people and we ALL had the same "opinion"......

even talked to a handful of parents that had kids on the team and they said the same thing, they laughed and said "yall see it too huh?"

but that is besides the point, yall need to get your panties out of the knot they're in....look back at my post and see where i said that he's a dang good runner

i didn't talk "smack" about your team...just listed some things i saw

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
it amazes me (and this is NOT pointed at brownwood specifically) how fans of teams absolutely CANNOT admit that they're kids are anything but perfect, and that their team is anything but flawless.

what in the freaking world is so bad with admitting that your team has flaws???? i cannot believe how prevalent this is in sports. people do not understand that they can be a fan of certain team without being BLINDLY IGNORANT.

Rabid Cougar
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Was Rabid Cougar there? or any other CS folks there that frequent the board...

Yes Me and Bobby were there.. Our school policy does not allow intermingling ... keeps the rif-raf from coming over to the home side.

Tin Cup
09-27-2011, 08:35 PM
When people disagree with a point of view they immediately get defensive and can't see it from another point of view. Think about it, it's everywhere in America today. The truth can be totally ignored because it may hurt some feelings or be politically incorrect.

Daddy D 11
09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
very good point tin cup lol

bp80884
09-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Yes Me and Bobby were there.. Our school policy does not allow intermingling ... keeps the rif-raf from coming over to the home side.

As Rabid said, I was there too. I don't have a lot to say about the game. It was too bad the officiating played such a big part in the game and potentially the outcome.

Either way, nothing should be taken away from either team.

Any word on the BW quarterback? I hope he is ok and ready to go for the next game.

Old LB
09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
As Rabid said, I was there too. I don't have a lot to say about the game. It was too bad the officiating played such a big part in the game and potentially the outcome.

Any word on the BW quarterback? I hope he is ok and ready to go for the next game.

Have not heard anything about Mitch but my guess is he will not play this week if he did have a concussion. Shipley said on the coaches show that we may set out a couple of starters this week to heal up. Shipley is not one to advertise injuries so it is hard to ever know who is hurt and who is not.

garciap77
09-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I would disagree about the tee shirt fans.....and maybe we just did not want to see Old Tiger.:1popcorn:

You mean GO BLUE! :D

garciap77
09-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Out of town games in pre-district with high gas prices and all make it hard on folks to attend their teams games. I had other obligations for this Friday night so I couldn't make it. I noticed you didn't happen to be at the Liberty Hill game:1popcorn: supporting the Panthers vs Rockdale game but you were obviously at this game...I suspect you live close by and and didn't want to make that loooong drive to da'hill and just didn't have anything better to do on Friday night but go to a China Spring game ...right?:1popcorn::1popcorn: Was Rabid Cougar there? or any other CS folks there that frequent the board...or is this just about Brownwood Again??:1popcorn: Randy Rogers Recruiting doesn't agree with you on Vaccaro there d and neither do I. Vaccaro did return a kickoff for 6 points and still plays on both sides of the ball. Kid has very good potential and his motor never stops. Gonna be a great DB at the next level. Oh and Shipley has faith in the team he coaches as well as all the other coaches from Brownwood...so your cutesy little tirade about "no faith" is reaching at best.. I will agree with you on just one point in you assessment of the game and that is that the Officiating was real BAD!! Ratliff however is a leader and is a gamer and anyone who wants to win has to have a gamers attitude especially when your starting QB goes out. I guess through your eyes it looks different but LMAO whatever dude.. Our D Line has been porous this year as everyone that knows Brownwood football knows this and was exploited by Stephenville as well...it needs some shoring up and we need some key players healthy and we should be OK by district. That is whats important anyway...the pre district games get a team ready for district.We got an ugly win but hey a W is better than a non-w... I don't know what to tell ya about the Brownwood posters not showing up for the M&G...maybe they have already met you and tigger before and...*sigh*....*Bows head*....*shakes head left to right* ( I stole this from a poster I saw here a while back and though it fit in this post:cheerl:)...wasn't impressed...Just sayin:stirpot::1popcorn: Maybe one day I will be fortunate to be graced by daddy and tigger's presence:crazy::1popcorn:
In Closing I would like to point out that this years Brownwood Lions is not by any means last years Lion team. This year we are an average team but that is better than a below average team at LEAST we Won the game against CS Just sayin...We as fans of all our respective teams Believe in our boys and support them when we can and will always take up for OUR team when we hear message board fodder spewed from individules that like to stir the pot so to say..IDK who you are if you talk crap about my team you are gonna get it right backl at cha!!!
Now back to your regular scheduled programming!!

Well done my friend! http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/good_post-1.gif

But, AW is still goning to take your Lions to the Wood Shed! (Grin)

BEAST
09-28-2011, 08:11 AM
I'll keep my opinion of y'alls RB's attitude to my self. But, this part of your post tells me you weren't at the Stephenville game.

Whenever Sweetwater is relevant again then chime in on a game against The VIlle. Until then, keep working on Vernon.

BEAST

Tin Cup
09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Whenever Sweetwater is relevant again then chime in on a game against The VIlle. Until then, keep working on Vernon.

BEAST

Hey don't forget they BLEW OUT Early too

BEAST
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Oh yea, I almost forgot about that huge win.

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2011, 09:05 AM

BEAST

Yeah, I sure wish we would've scheduled Stephenville. then we could of took a 66 point ass whippin and been better for it. :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Good luck against All Saints. Looks like y'all are going to need it.

Old Tiger
09-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Observations or opinions? Just curious because anyone that knows Ratliff (not Ratcliff) knows he is a leader and gives credit to every other player on the team before he takes any credit himself. He is a fine young man. Obviously your observations were a little off. I don't disagree with what you saw or thought you saw because you are entitled to your opinion. I know that Brownwood will be fine. We may not make it as exciting as last year but this team will play hard every game and that is all we can ask for a group of young men representing their school on Friday nights.Didn't look like a leader when his team didn't have the momentum and he was sitting on the bench by himself or standing 20-30 yards from the team by himself. IMO he seems like he thinks he's better or knows he's better than his team and this year you cannot have that kinda attitude giving the team is just average to good.

Old Tiger
09-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Any word on the BW quarterback? I hope he is ok and ready to go for the next game.A whistle was blown on that 65 yard TD though....IMO it was a good overturn.

Old Tiger
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

BEASTSweetwater is physical up front....I'd say they are more physical than CS....that will pose a problem for the Bwood defense.

Rabid Cougar
09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
A whistle was blown on that 65 yard TD though....IMO it was a good overturn.
The incompitence is obvious. If you blow the whistle, you mark the spot of ball... you don't run down the sideline and signal touchdown. Shipley was right to "challange" the call. Any coach worth his salt would do so. You could see the frustration of the Ref with the side judge when he asked him if he blew the whistle....

bp80884
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
A whistle was blown on that 65 yard TD though....IMO it was a good overturn.

OMG, did you just call a game changing incompetent call a (and I will quote) "a good overturn"?

I think I just read something that is more incompetent than the call. Old Tiger, I did not expect that from you.

Keep in mind that they were lined up for the extra point when the BW coach called time out and questioned the call. I did not read that part of the rule book from the UIL site but I am pretty sure the replay rule was not in play last Friday night.

1. Incompetence number one was the whistle
2. Incompetence number 2 was allowing a coach to change a call on the field after they had already made a call
3. Incompetence number 3 and counting is any idiot that would call it a (I will quote again) "a good overturn"

I do not sit on the board and argue and stir the pot, but give me a break. A weak officiating crew had a dramitic impact on that game. Give the kids the credit for a great game but call a spade a spade. The officials sucked. When the officials are more of the discussion than the actual game, that speaks for itself.

Wow, I can believe anyone would call that (I quote again) "a good overturn".

Bosqueville
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Brownwood folks travel! See the non-pressbox side!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTIoz_azBA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old Tiger
09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
OMG, did you just call a game changing incompetent call a (and I will quote) "a good overturn"?

I think I just read something that is more incompetent than the call. Old Tiger, I did not expect that from you.

Keep in mind that they were lined up for the extra point when the BW coach called time out and questioned the call. I did not read that part of the rule book from the UIL site but I am pretty sure the replay rule was not in play last Friday night.

2. Incompetence number 2 was allowing a coach to change a call on the field after they had already made a call
3. Incompetence number 3 and counting is any idiot that would call it a (I will quote again) "a good overturn"

I do not sit on the board and argue and stir the pot, but give me a break. A weak officiating crew had a dramitic impact on that game. Give the kids the credit for a great game but call a spade a spade. The officials sucked. When the officials are more of the discussion than the actual game, that speaks for itself.

Wow, I can believe anyone would call that (I quote again) "a good overturn".Its good that they overturned it though and the right call was made. Plays stop when the whistle blows....

Hell the group of people I was sitting with all heard it from the visitor side. You CS people were too busy trying to catch your t-shirts/footballs being thrown and booed after the ball had been spotted and and about 20 seconds ran off the playclock for the next CS play.

bp80884
09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Its good that they overturned it though and the right call was made. Plays stop when the whistle blows....

Hell the group of people I was sitting with all heard it from the visitor side. You CS people were too busy trying to catch your t-shirts/footballs being thrown and booed after the ball had been spotted and and about 20 seconds ran off the playclock for the next CS play.

I think the side you were sitting on tells us why it was a (again I quote because it is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard on the board) "a good overturn".

Like I said the young men on the field deverve the credit, but you idiots in the stand who call an incompetent whistle a good call are just that.

If you bother to reply again, tell me why a coach was allowed to challenge a call after it had been made and have it overturned? Do we have the challenge rule in High School football?

I have seen many calls that were wrong but that is the 1st I have seen challenged and over turned when the next play was already being set up. Yes, the whistle was inadvertant, but why not call it when it happened?

I doubt you heard anything where you were sitting, but if you did, not one of the other 3 officials heard it. Old Tiger, will you call the rest of our games? We need someone who knows what they are doing calling all of our games. From what I am reading you would not be a step down (of a step up for that matter).

Take a win no matter the circumstances. It was good enough for Enron and MCI so it has to be good enought for you my fellow 3a Downlow fodder.

The only appropiate response is "I hate that it had an impact on a good game but congrats to the young men on the field." That is an appropiate response.

bwdlionfan
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I think the side you were sitting on tells us why it was a (again I quote because it is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard on the board) "a good overturn".

Like I said the young men on the field deverve the credit, but you idiots in the stand who call an incompetent whistle a good call are just that.

If you bother to reply again, tell me why a coach was allowed to challenge a call after it had been made and have it overturned? Do we have the challenge rule in High School football?

I have seen many calls that were wrong but that is the 1st I have seen challenged and over turned when the next play was already being set up. Yes, the whistle was inadvertant, but why not call it when it happened?

I doubt you heard anything where you were sitting, but if you did, not one of the other 3 officials heard it. Old Tiger, will you call the rest of our games? We need someone who knows what they are doing calling all of our games. From what I am reading you would not be a step down (of a step up for that matter).

Take a win no matter the circumstances. It was good enough for Enron and MCI so it has to be good enought for you my fellow 3a Downlow fodder.

The only appropiate response is "I hate that it had an impact on a good game but congrats to the young men on the field." That is an appropiate response.

He called it a "good overturn" because the refs should have never signaled it a touchdown since an idiot ref inadvertently blew the whistle. I agree that the refs were terrible and this was a game changing play, but when a whistle accidentally blows, it is a "good overturn" to not let the play stand. Coach Shipley didn't throw a red flag and challenge the play, I've seen many coaches call a timeout to discuss things with a ref, and although I don't remember many coaches winning those arguments, this time the coach won because a whistle had been blown. Clearly Coach Shipley did not tell them to change it and they just agreed to, I would think the ref owned up to accidentally blowing the whistle and then they agreed to move the ball back. Why the ref ever signaled the touchdown is beyond me, it seems like a cowardly thing to do and he was probably hoping no one else heard the whistle. I actually heard the whistle and figured the kid had just stepped out of bounds on the CS sideline, but then they were lining up for an extra point. I saw the replay on Fox Sports and the kid appeared in bounds, he was very close to the sideline and I'm guessing that was when the whistle was blown.

Again, it was a crappy call by the refs, had they not blown that call, you guys would have been lining up for a game winning field goal at the end of the game instead of going for it on 4th and 11. It sucks, but at least it didn't happen in a district game or a playoff game.

Old Tiger
09-29-2011, 06:47 AM

The only appropiate response is "I hate that it had an impact on a good game but congrats to the young men on the field." That is an appropiate response.I was sitting with another poster on this board and even he can attest that the whistle was blown.

I'm a neutral party of this game so I have no favorites either way....Just attended to watch a good football game.

He called it a "good overturn" because the refs should have never signaled it a touchdown since an idiot ref inadvertently blew the whistle.

LHPfactory
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Wow, I can believe anyone would call that (I quote again) "a good overturn".

CS Sometimes bad calls are in your favor (LH vs CS 2011) and sometimes they go against you (BW vs CS 2011)........... football is played on the field with numerous intangibles, thats what makes it a great sport. ;)

Tin Cup
09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
The absolute worst call of the night was the CS coach not going for it on 4th and a foot. There is no chance we stop you and you still probably score on the drive the "refs cost you."

Time to move on...

Daddy D 11
09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
bp....YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

That is all.

95mustang
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Okay I don't always (well hardly ever)agree with Go Blue (I mean Old Tiger) or Daddy D, but they usually call is like they see it. I have to give them respect for that. I have watched the replay of the game. They young man stepped out of bounds, the ref blew his whistle, the young man continued to run, and the ref signaled touchdown. These actions by a ref were horrible and yes it definitely changed the outcome or momentum of the game, but when a whistle is blown inadervent or not the play stops.

garciap77
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
bp....YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

That is all.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

hollywood
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Same thing happened in the Sville vs Mesquite Horn game last Friday. I was listening to both the BW/CS and SV/MH games. Weird that it happened in both of those games. The radio announcer for SV said he's never seen a "do over" in his 25 years of announcing football games. lol

Here ya go for those that are in the dark:

The UIL uses NCAA rules:

b. If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball
dead during a down (Rules 4-1-3-k and m):
1. When the ball is in player possession, then the team in possession may
elect to put the ball in play where declared dead or repeat the down.
2. When the ball is loose from a fumble, backward pass or illegal pass, then
the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where possession
was lost or repeat the down (Exception: Rule 12).
3. During a legal forward pass or a free or scrimmage kick, then the ball is
returned to the previous spot and the down repeated (Exception: Rule
12).
4. After Team B gains possession on the try or during an extra period,
then the try is over or the extra-period possession series is ended.

hollywood
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM

The UIL uses NCAA rules:

b. If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball
dead during a down (Rules 4-1-3-k and m):
1. When the ball is in player possession, then the team in possession may
elect to put the ball in play where declared dead or repeat the down.
2. When the ball is loose from a fumble, backward pass or illegal pass, then
the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where possession
was lost or repeat the down (Exception: Rule 12).
3. During a legal forward pass or a free or scrimmage kick, then the ball is
returned to the previous spot and the down repeated (Exception: Rule
12).
4. After Team B gains possession on the try or during an extra period,
then the try is over or the extra-period possession series is ended.

Rocket
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Brownwood is 4-1 and still growing up. All that matters is how the team improves each week.

Sweetwater Red- Shut yo mouth, boy. My suggestion for Sweetwater is that they start kicking kids out of the high school quickly so that they can go 2A and be relevant again. Or just do what Wylie does and not count all of the kids. Take the Breckenridge route.

garciap77
09-29-2011, 12:01 PM

What the .........!!!! Where did you get that video! :D

garciap77
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Brownwood is 4-1 and still growing up. All that matters is how the team improves each week.

Sweetwater Red- Shut yo mouth, boy. My suggestion for Sweetwater is that they start kicking kids out of the high school quickly so that they can go 2A and be relevant again. Or just do what Wylie does and not count all of the kids. Take the Breckenridge route.

Shut yo mouth, coach! You stick to basketball! :D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/midget_basketballRocket-1.jpg

;)

Black_Magic
09-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Sweetwater Red- Shut yo mouth, boy. My suggestion for Sweetwater is that they start kicking kids out of the high school quickly so that they can go 2A and be relevant again. Or just do what Wylie does and not count all of the kids. Take the Breckenridge route. Wylie does count all the kids. they just dont have the same kind of crowd.. Lay off of Wylie!! Since we are showing videos, here is one of a pre game pep session in Wylie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEXMpqr1NQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

garciap77
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Wylie does count all the kids. they just dont have the same kind of crowd.. Lay off of Wylie!! Since we are showing videos, here is one of a pre game pep session in Wylie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEXMpqr1NQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

So, when are you moving to Monahans? http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/Oops_-1.gif :D

Bosqueville
09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
What the .........!!!! Where did you get that video! :D

Seriously... did you video this??

Old Tiger
09-29-2011, 03:26 PM

I know I definitely didn't see you there.....Honestly from Brownwood all i saw was about 2-4 good players....IMO they lack elite talent.

the goood players they have IMO are...

Defense: #5, vacarro, and #2
Offense: #2, ratliff and #9

and a handful of average 3a players filling the rest of the starting spots.

BEAST
09-29-2011, 04:23 PM

If you watch the film, you will see the RB actually stepped out of bounds after the whistle. They actually spotted the ball 16 yards further than the whistle mark.

BEAST

bp80884
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
If you watch the film, you will see the RB actually stepped out of bounds after the whistle. They actually spotted the ball 16 yards further than the whistle mark.

BEAST

Ok, i never said the call was wrong for the inadvertant whistle, what I said was wrong was the fact that the play was ruled a touchdown and the refs called it a touchdown and CS lined up for the xtra point. The refs did not call the inadvertant whistle or the out of bounds run.

What happened is the BW coach called a timeout and effectively challenged the ruling on the field and the officials overturned the call they had just made.

So, I pose the question again:

DOES HIGH SCOOL FOOTBALL HAVE A CHALLENGE RULE?

I have never seen a high school ref change their call until that night.

Tejastrue
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Wylie does count all the kids. they just dont have the same kind of crowd.. Lay off of Wylie!! Since we are showing videos, here is one of a pre game pep session in Wylie.

Not very fleet of foot, but it is obvious they can count...

Old Tiger
09-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Ok, i never said the call was wrong for the inadvertant whistle, what I said was wrong was the fact that the play was ruled a touchdown and the refs called it a touchdown and CS lined up for the xtra point. The refs did not call the inadvertant whistle or the out of bounds run.

What happened is the BW coach called a timeout and effectively challenged the ruling on the field and the officials overturned the call they had just made.

I would say he disputed the call....then the refs got together and had a conference the LJ who messed up and was equally terrible to both teams admitted he blew the whistle inadvertently so they re-spotted where he went out of bounds because of that. IMO I like to see the right call be made.

Like I said earlier you CS folks didn't know what was going on because yall were too busy listening to the fight song and trying to catch footballs and t-shirts thrown by cheerleaders. Yall realized what had happened after about 10-15 seconds rolled off the playclock after the refs re-spotted the ball. It was quite comical.

bp80884
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I would say he disputed the call....then the refs got together and had a conference the LJ who messed up and was equally terrible to both teams admitted he blew the whistle inadvertently so they re-spotted where he went out of bounds because of that. IMO I like to see the right call be made.

Like I said earlier you CS folks didn't know what was going on because yall were too busy listening to the fight song and trying to catch footballs and t-shirts thrown by cheerleaders. Yall realized what had happened after about 10-15 seconds rolled off the playclock after the refs re-spotted the ball. It was quite comical.

Why will you not answer the question: is there a challenge rule in high school football?

If there is no challenge rule then there should not have been an opportunity to call a time out to ask them to get the call right.

I have seen refs blow a call before and not once have they ever changed it until the other night. I am not saying there was no whistle or anything else, what I am saying is they should have gone with what was called on the field. If there is a challenge rule in High School football then I am wrong, but no one has answered that question either way yet.

bwdlionfan
09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Why will you not answer the question: is there a challenge rule in high school football?

If there is no challenge rule then there should not have been an opportunity to call a time out to ask them to get the call right.

I have seen refs blow a call before and not once have they ever changed it until the other night. I am not saying there was no whistle or anything else, what I am saying is they should have gone with what was called on the field. If there is a challenge rule in High School football then I am wrong, but no one has answered that question either way yet.

I'll answer your question.

No there is not a challenge rule in high school.

Now answer my questions:

Is there a rule that a coach can not call a timeout prior to a ball being snapped to tell the officials they are wrong?

Is there a rule that says an official can not change what they called before the next play?

Old LB
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM

If you are that interested in knowing the answer maybe you should research it. :) The game is over and hopefully no other teams have to play with refs like that again. Carrying all that anger will just make you bitter, lighten up. :thumbsup: Well, would you look at that, my thumbs up dude is China Spring Blue! :wave:

bp80884
09-29-2011, 06:20 PM
No, there is no rule but let me know next time an official changes his mind when a coach tells them to take a second look. I doubt I will hear back from you on that one.

No tissues here, I am only stating the obvious. Without a challenge rule and a ref not making a call when the play was over it is suprising that they gave the BW coach the opportunity to challenge. If you don't see that I am sorry but it is obvious to me!

Old LB
09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Ya'll should see if you can get your coach to challenge a few calls, just might work. :cheerl:

garciap77
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Seriously... did you video this??

Yeah, I was just playing around with the camera! As you can see, I'm not much of a camera man!:crazy1:

bp80884
09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
If you are that interested in knowing the answer maybe you should research it. :) The game is over and hopefully no other teams have to play with refs like that again. Carrying all that anger will just make you bitter, lighten up. :thumbsup: Well, would you look at that, my thumbs up dude is China Spring Blue! :wave:

I know the answer to the question (it was retorical for me and trivial for those who say it was "a great overturn") and I agree, I hope no other team have to deal with those types of issues.

No anger in CS, how can anyone in CS blue carry anger?

ccmom
09-29-2011, 06:47 PM
The funniest part of this thread is reading Brownwood posters' advice to get over a controversial call. I love irony.

Tin Cup
09-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I imagine Shipley's conversation with the refs like this:

Ref we heard a whistle. Can you ask your crew if there was a whistle blown. We heard a whistle.

Refs statement: Did anyone blow the whistle?
Yes I did accidentally. Ok now where do we spot the ball.

It's not a challenge!!! It's we made a mistake but we are getting it right!!!

LIONS#1
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Ref we heard a whistle. Can you ask your crew if there was a whistle blown. We heard a whistle.

Nice reply Cup! Maybe spot it where he stepped out of bounds would be a good start>>Just sayin:cheerl:

Rabid Cougar
09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
China Spring is focused on beating OPEN this week. CS record against OPEN is the same as against Glen Rose... Last week is over and done with... thread needs to die.

bp80884
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah, you are right!

Goodluck this season for BW and again I hope your QB is ready to go for district. Great athlete and sorry to see him go down last week.

Looking4number8
09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Click on top one to see video
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/th_chinaspring003.jpg (http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/?action=view&current=chinaspring003.mp4)

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/th_chinaspring001.jpg (http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/?action=view&current=chinaspring001.jpg)

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/th_chinaspring002.jpg (http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/?action=view&current=chinaspring002.jpg)

bleedsbabyblue
09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
The line judge made the call on the field that runner was in bounds by signaling a touchdown at the end of the play. His whistle was inadvertent, so the play was dead upon his mistake, which cost the Cougars a TD. L4#8, I look at the pics you posted and I believe the ball carrier was in bounds but my opinion (and your opinion) doesn't matter, as the LJ ruled that he was in bounds and scored a TD. That call was reversed because of his mistake and that's life. Let's move on to next game. Good luck to Brownwood in district. IMO this was a good game for both teams.

Looking4number8
09-29-2011, 11:11 PM
The line judge made the call on the field that runner was in bounds by signaling a touchdown at the end of the play. His whistle was inadvertent, so the play was dead upon his mistake, which cost the Cougars a TD. L4#8, I look at the pics you posted and I believe the ball carrier was in bounds but my opinion (and your opinion) doesn't matter, as the LJ ruled that he was in bounds and scored a TD. That call was reversed because of his mistake and that's life. Let's move on to next game. Good luck to Brownwood in district. IMO this was a good game for both teams.

I dont really have an opinion or care. It was a non district game where the officials made more of an impression than either team. I watched the game for the first time tonight as it will replay all week and I was not impressed with how either team played. Both teams have talent but both better get their act together if they want to be playing in the post season. That game was ugly!

Daddy D 11
09-29-2011, 11:45 PM
IT WAS NOT A CHALLENGE.

All that occurred was Shipley accusing the ref of blowing the whistle, and then the refs getting together and realizing that yes a whistle was blown.

IT'S NOT A CHALLENGE. It's called GETTING THE PLAY RIGHT. Have some sense...

Old LB
09-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Play til the whistle boys!!!

db1980
09-30-2011, 12:24 PM

That video was from the Monahans game on December 4th of 2010. Brownwood did travel well last fall. I was impressed with their crowd at Kincaide Stadium where Beast and Rocket had the wind let out of their sails.

BEAST
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Its not about having a challenge. A ref blew the whistle. Anything that happened after the whistle is moot, meaning it never happened. Whether it was inadvertant or not makes no difference.

BEAST

BEAST
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
No, there is no rule but let me know next time an official changes his mind when a coach tells them to take a second look. I doubt I will hear back from you on that one.

No tissues here, I am only stating the obvious. Without a challenge rule and a ref not making a call when the play was over it is suprising that they gave the BW coach the opportunity to challenge. If you don't see that I am sorry but it is obvious to me!

This is insane. Its not a challenge. Its the refs doing what is right. When a whistle blows, the play is OVER!!!!!

BEAST

db1980
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Nice reply Cup! Maybe spot it where he stepped out of bounds would be a good start>>Just sayin:cheerl:

but the line judge that accidently blowed the whistle was observant enough to see the kid step out of bounds yet not blow the play dead either??? He allowed the TD to be called on the field and the XP squad line up without saying anything??? This guy shouldn't be reffing anymore.

ccmom
09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
That video was from the Monahans game on December 4th of 2010. Brownwood did travel well last fall. I was impressed with their crowd at Kincaide Stadium where Beast and Rocket had the wind let out of their sails.

Yes Brownwood did have great crowds last year. 2008 and 2009 crowds were not nearly as large. Just like most schools (including Wylie) when you are having a "special" season, more people want to come watch. I was at the Monahans game and most of the people from our section were not associated with Brownwood at all. They were there to see Shipley play which was always a treat.

Brownwoodies, I'm not saying y'all didn't have a huge following last year because you definitely did. In my opinion though, that was the exception however and not the rule.

GrTigers6
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM

I have never seen a high school ref change their call until that night.What should have happened is the official who blew the whistle should have done it again until the play stopped. It doesnt matter if he was right or not in blowing it. He did, so it should have never got to that point. I am willing to bet he was thinking maybe nobody heard it.
That is exactly why I bought a finger whistle so it is harder to blow it when I am not ready.

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 08:00 AM
but the line judge that accidently blowed the whistle was observant enough to see the kid step out of bounds yet not blow the play dead either??? He allowed the TD to be called on the field and the XP squad line up without saying anything??? This guy shouldn't be reffing anymore.IMO the ref got caught up watching the game instead of officiating.....

garciap77
10-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes Brownwood did have great crowds last year. 2008 and 2009 crowds were not nearly as large. Just like most schools (including Wylie) when you are having a "special" season, more people want to come watch. I was at the Monahans game and most of the people from our section were not associated with Brownwood at all. They were there to see Shipley play which was always a treat.

Brownwoodies, I'm not saying y'all didn't have a huge following last year because you definitely did. In my opinion though, that was the exception however and not the rule.

Brownwoodies

;)

Old Tiger
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Brownwoodies

;)
brownwoodies like chili dogs

BwdLion73
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I think thats correct. Brownwood has a good following for its size however last year I saw people at the games from Brownwood that I knew had never seen a game before. When you hear things like "how far do you have to go for a first down...ect.

oh yeah, blow the whistle stop the play.