PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood

orange machine
09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Where in the world are they all? Since they have been in 3a I haven't seen them this silent.

Emerson1
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Where in the world are they all? Since they have been in 3a I haven't seen them this silent.
I don't think anyone is surprised.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2011, 04:26 PM
I think the the good, reasonable folks of Brownwood on this board (the vast majority of BW posters) are keeping it on the DL (no pun intended) because of the ridiculous noise made by some of their fellow fans in the past regarding their team. I encourage those posters to come back and speak up...we miss you!!

Regarding those BW posters who made ridiuclous noises for the past 3 years...come on back too. We won't be too hard on you, I promise!!!!

Trashman
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
We are all still here......The whole board is silent, not just the BWD posters.

bwdlionfan
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm still here, I post about as much as I did last year (I think), but I'm not one of the noisier ones. I've been to all our games this year except the Llano game.

orange machine
09-25-2011, 05:02 PM
We are all still here......The whole board is silent, not just the BWD posters.
The board might be some what slow but that has never stopped Brownwood before.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm still here, I post about as much as I did last year (I think), but I'm not one of the noisier ones. I've been to all our games this year except the Llano game.

Hey give me your thoughts on CS game when u can I am compiling my notes for the show

bwdlionfan
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey give me your thoughts on CS game when u can I am compiling my notes for the show

It was a strange game to say the least, and pretty sloppy. I haven't seen the official statistics for the game, but Brownwood had a ton of false starts, holdings, etc. At one point we had 4 straight plays that resulted in: holding, holding, false start, block in back.

China Spring had plenty of false starts as well, they had three false starts before they managed to even snap the ball for the first time!

Brownwood looked pretty good on offense on the first drive converting a 3rd and 19 and a 4th and 8 before stalling out and missing a short field goal (the kicker injured his plant leg in practice last week I was told). We held CS three and out and then scored on the next drive. Overall, I thought Mitch Stephens (Brownwood QB) was looking as good as I've seen him this season (I missed the Llano game), but he was injured late in the second quarter. I still haven't heard for sure what happened to him, but the word floating around Friday night was a possible concussion. Also we lost our only returning offensive lineman to a possible concussion Friday night. With that said, the offense didn't manage a first down for quite some time. The play calling was extremely boring and I got the impression we just haven't worked on a whole lot with the backup QBs (yes we have two that played). That may be an incorrect statement, but it also appeared the coaches were having some issues with signaling the plays in to one of the QBs just before halftime, so I'm wondering if he either isn't used to the signals, or if the pressure was getting to him. Hopefully Mitch didn't have a concussion and will get to play this week, but if not, at least the other two QBs will have a week to get a lot of work in.

Our defense looked pretty good against the pass, but China Spring had a lot of success running the ball. Stephenville tore us apart on the ground, we had a hard time containing the Llano QB in the first half, and now China Spring ran on us pretty well so I'm a bit concerned about our run defense. We still have our best linebacker playing with a broken hand and a fractured arm.

China Spring had a touchdown called back in the third quarter because of an inadvertent whistle. The CS runningback tiptoed the sideline around our 40 yard line (on a 65 yard TD run). I heard the whistle blow from across the field in the area of where the runningback was, so I assumed he did step out and the play was over, next thing I know the refs signal TD as the kid kept running. CS was lining up for the extra point when Coach Shipley called timeout and actually got the refs to reverse the call. We wound up holding China Spring to a field goal on that drive. When they kicked the field goal, they only had a 4th and 1 and I'm surprised they didn't go for it, that turned out to be the difference in the game.

Brownwood followed up that field goal with a 103 yard kickoff return by Vacarro to give us a 14-10 lead which was huge because our offense had not done anything since losing our QB. China Spring scored next to go up 17-14 in the 4th, and finally Brownwood's offense did something with several good runs from Ratliff we were able to score and go back up 21-17. China Spring then got back down to our 14 yard line where they were stopped on 4th down with a minute or so remaining. It was an exciting ending to a somewhat sloppy game, but hopefully with the way we won it will give the team some confidence.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Obviously BW is rebuilding. I got a feeling they will get it together to produce a decent season before it all over. How many starters are seniors? What does the JV and 9th grade group look like?

Rabid Cougar
09-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Because they know they are EXTREMELY fortunate to come out of the game with a win.

LIONS#1
09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Because they know they are EXTREMELY fortunate to come out of the game with a win.
Naw we know that this week we have another team to prepare for and play just like every other school in the state...this game is behind us and on to the next...China Spring had every opportunity in the world to win this game and well they just didn't get the job done...so good luck to the coogs and Good win for the LIONS!!:1popcorn:

LIONS#1
09-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Plus some of us has real lives and not just intranet Lives...LMAO!!! Gotta get my Deer Blinds in good shape ya know!! New Carpet for the floor a new ..well new to me roller adjustable desk chair and padding on my rifle rest!!!:crazy:

Tin Cup
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM

We were fortunate. Any time you win with you 3rd string QB you are lucky. We aren't very good this year honestly but we are light years better with QB 1 at the helm.

RoyceTTU
09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to put the big 1+9 back together. :D

BwdLion73
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM

I'm still around. Go armour-all your tires...:thumbsup:

garciap77
09-25-2011, 07:51 PM

They are getting ready, so they can put whooping on Celina! :D

LionFan72
09-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Still here OM, We got the W, and that is all that matters. Still seeking our nirvana this year, growing a bit every game, don't worry yourself over lil ole Brownwood, you may soon get tired of reading, may not, it is football! One thing about it, we will always be here as long as there is a here, Win or lose, Tradition never graduates!

Eagle 1
09-25-2011, 08:37 PM
An interesting tidbit about the Bwood/CS game. The other night on the way home from the Mart/Goldy game I was listening to the CS post game show. They replayed the 102 yard kickoff return broadcast by the CS radio announcers. Towards the end of the play, without skipping a beat, the annoucer said "there's a block in the back, I don't see a flag....Td." Later, I was listening the scoreboard show from Brownwood and they replayed the same play by the radio broadcast as given by the Brownwood announcers. With out skipping a beat the announcer, said "he get's a good block...TD".
I thought it was funny how different announcers from different towns seen the play. LOL...

hollywood
09-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Still here, just busy! Brownwood is holding there own vs 3A teams. A good All Saints team comes to town next week. Injuries have plagued the Lions so far this season, just hoping for the best!

hollywood
09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
An interesting tidbit about the Bwood/CS game. The other night on the way home from the Mart/Goldy game I was listening to the CS post game show. They replayed the 102 yard kickoff return broadcast by the CS radio announcers. Towards the end of the play, without skipping a beat, the annoucer said "there's a block in the back, I don't see a flag....Td." Later, I was listening the scoreboard show from Brownwood and they replayed the same play by the radio broadcast as given by the Brownwood announcers. With out skipping a beat the announcer, said "he get's a good block...TD".
I thought it was funny how different announcers from different towns seen the play. LOL...

Yep, it depends on which side of the stadium your sitting. And there's always holding on every play... Depends if the ref sees it or not. ;-)

Old Tiger
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I know where thy aren't and that's at the games

orange machine
09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Still here, just busy! Brownwood is holding there own vs 3A teams. A good All Saints team comes to town next week. Injuries have plagued the Lions so far this season, just hoping for the best!
Injuries blow thats for sure, Celina lost their RG Perdue commit for the year Jordan Roos to an ACL injury and RB/LB Jesus Vargas is out for a few weeks with some kinda shoulder or arm injury. Good news is Celina is deep in most positions so we shouldnt miss a beat.

bwdlionfan
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I know where thy aren't and that's at the games

I guess you made it to the game? That's the smallest crowd we've had in a few years.... there has to be a hangover from how bad we lost to Sville.

On another note, I'm a little afraid of this matchup with All Saints, according to Maxpreps they are the best team we've faced other than Stephenville.

LionFan72
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Friday night was an interesting game, did not attend personally attend because I expected a larger crowd from B'wood and did not want to fight for a seat. From all pre-game notes, the visitor side would not hold a normal Lion crowd, and I think that had an impact on traveling, at least did for me.

Far as the game, it was very sloppy on both sides, and evidently a poorly officiated game on both sides. Brownwood is suffering from some key injuries and not really in sync per Lion standards. China Springs improved vastly from last year, and should make the playoffs, how deep the run is for either team, no one knows at this point. I think Brownwood goes 2-3 games deep, and CS the same.

Good luck to CS down the road, you have a bright future and some scary good talent.

RoyceTTU
09-26-2011, 08:10 AM
I guess you made it to the game? That's the smallest crowd we've had in a few years.... there has to be a hangover from how bad we lost to Sville.

On another note, I'm a little afraid of this matchup with All Saints, according to Maxpreps they are the best team we've faced other than Stephenville.

TJ, the all world QB from All Saints is hurt from what I understand. Shipley said in the pregame the other coach said TJ was their heart and soul for the team so it would be diffacult for AS.

91 lion
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm right there with Hollywood on this one! It has been a very busy this Fall with work and family. I'm on the board almost everyday, though, mainly reading posts to keep myself abreast of the happenings around 3a. I will make it to my 1st BWD game this Friday...so, I may come back making more noise.

On a side note, it now seems more difficult to log in to post. I think I have it figured out, by refreshing the page constantly, but it is a slow down.

Other than that, I'm just keeping tabs on Garcia to make sure he keeps the all-time BWD-AW win/loss record straight......and also keeping an eye on Coach Black Magic.....just trying to see if he is gonna give up any secrets on how to run that 32 point play that Snyder has in their playbook.

BEAST
09-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm right there with Hollywood on this one! It has been a very busy this Fall with work and family. I'm on the board almost everyday, though, mainly reading posts to keep myself abreast of the happenings around 3a. I will make it to my 1st BWD game this Friday...so, I may come back making more noise.

On a side note, it now seems more difficult to log in to post. I think I have it figured out, by refreshing the page constantly, but it is a slow down.

Other than that, I'm just keeping tabs on Garcia to make sure he keeps the all-time BWD-AW win/loss record straight......and also keeping an eye on Coach Black Magic.....just trying to see if he is gonna give up any secrets on how to run that 32 point play that Snyder has in their playbook.

Ahh yes, the tricky 32 point play. I am still wondering about that one as well.

I am still here also. I didnt make the game in CS last week. First game I have missed in several years. Work had me bottled up. That, and the schedule my 3 boys have every Saturday is going to make me pick my road games. My oldest plays football every Saturday morning. Then all 3 of them have soccer games from around 11:00AM - 2:30PM. We normally get home around 4:00. Makes for a long day.

BEAST

bleedsbabyblue
09-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Good luck on the rest of the Lions' season. I don't believe in moral victories, but the Cougars did prove what they're made of on Friday night! Hopefully, the team can build on that for the rest of their season.

BTW, how's the BW QB doing? I thought he may have left the stadium in the ambulance, but I could be wrong about that.

bwdlionfan
09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Ahh yes, the tricky 32 point play. I am still wondering about that one as well.

I am still here also. I didnt make the game in CS last week. First game I have missed in several years. Work had me bottled up. That, and the schedule my 3 boys have every Saturday is going to make me pick my road games. My oldest plays football every Saturday morning. Then all 3 of them have soccer games from around 11:00AM - 2:30PM. We normally get home around 4:00. Makes for a long day.

BEAST

Any update on Mitch or James?

BEAST
09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Any update on Mitch or James?

From what I understand, both have concussions.

BEAST

Bosqueville
09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I would assume both will sit out this Friday and be ready to go in the first district game.

bwdlionfan
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
From what I understand, both have concussions.

BEAST

The hit on Mitch was very scary. At the time I thought it was going to be worse than a concussion.

BEAST
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I would assume both will sit out this Friday and be ready to go in the first district game.

The way consussions are handled now there really isnt any way to know. Its up to a DR to release them. Not like in my day when you just said you had dang headache.

BEAST

bwdlionfan
09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
The way consussions are handled now there really isnt any way to know. Its up to a DR to release them. Not like in my day when you just said you had dang headache.

BEAST

Isn't there a minimum number of days the player has to wait per UIL rules even if the kid is released by the DR?

BEAST
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't there a minimum number of days the player has to wait per UIL rules even if the kid is released by the DR?

I think it is 48 hours from the last headache??? I know it is an hours from previous headache, not 100% sure how many though.

BEAST

bobcat1
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I hope they heal up fine and quickly. I remember hearing those bees buzzing in my head for 3-4 days sometimes after a Friday night game. Smelling Salts were my friend on Friday nights.

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Daddy D and I stood at the concession stand till 3 minutes left during halftime and no one from Brownwood showed up.

50 yard line fan
09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Daddy D and I stood at the concession stand till 3 minutes left during halftime and no one from Brownwood showed up.

I was at the concession stand during halftime too. Wish I had known there was a meet and greet. I decided at about 4:30 on Friday to go to the game, so that's my fault.

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I was at the concession stand during halftime too. Wish I had known there was a meet and greet. I decided at about 4:30 on Friday to go to the game, so that's my fault.Did you sit on the 50 yard line? I was there for the entire fist half top row next to #9's parents. Talked with an old man from Bwood for about an hour or so before the game and during the fist half. He was really nice and smart as a football fan. I think he was the QB grandpa or something?

50 yard line fan
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I was on the 50 yard line row 1. Sitting with 2 boys and a very hot wife.

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
I was on the 50 yard line row 1. Sitting with 2 boys and a very hot wife.That's weird because I didn't see many if any hot moms.

TPIWWOP!

50 yard line fan
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, I think mine is hot.

Sportshack
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Awesome post...too funny and likely consistent with the average fans' views of given plays.

ogg
09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Awesome post...too funny and likely consistent with the average fans' views of given plays.

And sometime the refs. view.

Emerson1
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I was on the 50 yard line row 1. Sitting with 2 boys and a very hot wife.
Row 1 doesn't sound like a very good seat.

50 yard line fan
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Row 1 doesn't sound like a very good seat.

Like I said, I left Bwd late and got there late. The sun wasn't even in my eyes when I sat down. There were plenty of other seats available but we sat low cause the boys wanted to catch footballs and that other stuff the cheerleaders throw.

Old Tiger
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Like I said, I left Bwd late and got there late. The sun wasn't even in my eyes when I sat down. There were plenty of other seats available but we sat low cause the boys wanted to catch footballs and that other stuff the cheerleaders throw.I want a shirt....just saying...I almost knocked a little kid out to get one.