PDA

View Full Version : bridgeports defense?

5wide
09-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems to struggle with the run alot..injuries?? or just the talent?

Bullaholic
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Seems to struggle with the run alot..injuries?? or just the talent?

I'd love to see the Eagles "struggle" with either Prosper or Alvarado's rushing attack. To answer your unbiased question, and without making excuses---our starting MLB was out last night, but his replacement did a good job despite being about 60lbs lighter than the starter. Prosper's QB and Alvarado's RB are going to get their yards against anybody. You'll get to see those struggling Bulls firsthand in a couple of weeks.

5wide
09-24-2011, 12:40 PM
lol hey its not just alvarado and prosper putting up big numbers on your "struggling" defense...that is why I asked the question?

Bullaholic
09-24-2011, 01:05 PM
lol hey its not just alvarado and prosper putting up big numbers on your "struggling" defense...that is why I asked the question?

Oh, ok---you interested in stats or the final score? Yep--sure the Bulls have given up too many yards, but that doesn't mean we will continue to do that---we've done that and not been too shabby in the playoffs for a lot of years.

regaleagle
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
That's right Bull. The real season is just about to get underway. Our D is not where it needs to be yet either. At least you are playing worthy opponents now so your coaches can make sense of what needs attention. And obviously, the Bulls have the ability to put up some points. No worries yet, Mate!

COBRAFOOTBALL
09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
No one except Prosper has been able to hold Alvarado's running game down... And they almost lead 3a in rushing defense.. averaging about 50 yds a game given up. Alvarado puts lots of yards on everyone... Our tailback has almost 1000 yds in 4 games..

slpybear the bullfan
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I think its safe to say our defense isn't at the intimidating level yet, but the season's still young.

I do want to see some Eagles cross Big Sandy and then we can put it to the test.

Matthew328
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Bridgeport's never been a real good defensive team...don't know if its the scheme or simply a lack of talent esp up front..but they've always struck me as being somewhat soft on defense..

Grahamcheerdad
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Your defence will look alot better this week unless something changes. Graham has not looked good at all for 2 weeks.

slpybear the bullfan
09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Bridgeport's never been a real good defensive team...don't know if its the scheme or simply a lack of talent esp up front..but they've always struck me as being somewhat soft on defense..

Matt, there's a pretty straightforward explanation for this one. Our school isn't a huge 3A school population wise, IIRC we are middle of the pack. We only get so many kids that play ball. The HC likes the spread and the many plays that go with it. We pull lots of skill players to the O side of the ball first and don't leave many for the D side, if you know what I mean. We will have a 7 or 8 receive platoon on the O side and that will pick up a lot of the taller faster backs/receivers. So, O gets first pick. We just don't have the number of atheletes to spread them around that much.

Part two of the explanation is the 2 way mystery. You just don't play two ways in Bridgeport. The last few years you have seen it happen rarely late in the season with a few of the good atheletes. But it is not common at all. The reason I have been told is that we have 50-60 plays on offense and you cannot have boys playing both ways and learn all of those.

Good, Bad?... beats me. It means if we have a good defense, it will usually manifest itself late in the year. I'll put it another way. I have seen a couple of Bridgeport Offenses that could contend at the championship level. But never a Bridgeport Defense. Some were very very good, but not as good as those that went on.

That is not a dig on coaches, players, alumni, etc. Just my opinion