PDA

View Full Version : School Districts to Sue State Over Insufficient and Unequal Funding

SHSBulldog00
09-22-2011, 04:52 PM
* School Finance: School Districts Sign Up to Sue State Over Insufficient and Unequal Funding

* High Stakes: What American Jobs Act Would Deliver to Texas School Districts

School-Finance Lawsuit(s) Coming: Even before recently enacted cuts of $5.4 billion in state aid to school districts, state spending for public education in Texas ranked near the bottom of national state-by-state rankings. As the new cuts strike home, school boards all over the state are passing resolutions committing their school districts to participate in a major new challenge to the constitutionality of the whole state system of school finance.

The legal challenge, spearheaded by the research and advocacy team at the Austin-based Equity Center, will attack the legislature’s school-finance actions on multiple fronts. For instance, districts by law are supposed to receive substantially equal revenue at similar tax rates. Yet gaps in funding of $1,500 per pupil are common, and the state is highly vulnerable on this equity front. The courts also have held that the state must ensure enough funding to provide all students with a “meaningful opportunity to acquire the essential knowledge and skills” called for in state curriculum standards. Especially in the wake of the funding cuts enacted this year, the state appears vulnerable on this issue of adequacy as well.

The lawsuit reportedly could be filed quite soon, within a matter of weeks. Another lawsuit challenging the state school-finance scheme may be filed as well, by a different constellation of school districts, with a primary focus on the adequacy issue.

High Stakes—What the American Jobs Act Could Mean for Your District: The school-finance experts at the Moak, Casey and Associates consulting firm in Austin have come up with some rough estimates of the amount of funding each Texas school district could receive under the American Jobs Act proposed by President Obama. These ballpark estimates indicate that the federal aid could substantially offset state cuts in education totaling $5.4 billion for fiscal 2012-2013. Districts in our state would receive roughly $2.2 billion in funds to save and create jobs, plus another $2.3 billion to upgrade school facilities.

Some examples of the projected district-by-district impact include these:

--Houston ISD would receive $355 million, including $125 million to save jobs;

--Dallas ISD would receive $277 million, including $97 million in job-saving aid;

--El Paso ISD would receive $116 million, including $40 million for jobs;

--San Antonio ISD would receive $109 million, including $37 million for jobs;

--Austin ISD would receive $102 million, including $41 million for jobs; and

--La Joya ISD would receive $57 million, including $19 million in job-saving aid.

To see what your district could receive, go to http://www.moakcasey.com/articles/viewarticledoc.aspx?AID=2617&DID=2579.

BaseballUmp
09-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Cue Rancher...

rancher
09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
First this lawsuit was going to happen. Hopefully we will get a more equable school fin. system in the state. When the current system was put in place, everyone knew it would not stand up to a strong court challenge. Dan Patrick and others have made strong proposal for change by increasing the sales tax and getting the monkey off the home owners back. I agree with this, everyone needs skin in the game.

If you think you district will get free money from Obama, you have another thing coming. I hate to break the news but money does not grow on trees. We are heading into a DEPRESSION, not a recession. I shouted last year, we are in DEFLATION. Take a look at the current property tax base, going down due to falling home prices and now look at the number of foreclosues hitting the market, prices going down further. His program will never pass.

bobcat4life
09-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Cue Rancher...
lol look at the post after yours...

SHSBulldog00
09-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Several school's have suffered under this system. Closings, lower test scores and smaller enrollment. The smaller school's in rural area's is where you will see a drop off in sports. Numbers tend to drop.

Trashman
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
At the risk of being painted as a "rancher"...I must admit we have too many schools. In Brown County (Pop. 37,000) we have 7 ISD's, a private school and a charter school. Four of those ISD's could easily be consolidated into the remaining 3, Saving the tax payer a butt load of money in admin salaries and duplicate facilities. So shoot me......

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
They should all go to the SEC.

coachc45
09-22-2011, 08:58 PM
This lawsuit was Gov. Perry's plan all along. He gets re-elected by saying he would balance the budget without raising taxes and cuts school funding to help do it. Knowing full well the Districts would sue! The State loses the lawsuit and must raise taxes to fund schools. Perry then comes back and says, "I didn't raise taxes, the court system made us..." And he gets to save face! I've said this to numerous people ever since the budget rumor hit 2 years ago!

Now its happening!

coachc45
09-22-2011, 08:59 PM
They should all go to the SEC.

You really need to get over this!!!!

buckeyebob
09-23-2011, 06:05 AM
At the risk of being painted as a "rancher"...I must admit we have too many schools. In Brown County (Pop. 37,000) we have 7 ISD's, a private school and a charter school. Four of those ISD's could easily be consolidated into the remaining 3, Saving the tax payer a butt load of money in admin salaries and duplicate facilities. So shoot me......

Upshur Co. ties you...we have 7 ISD's with population of about 50K plus bleedover from 4 other schools that are not in the county but pull residents...I think one big county school and a new football stadium is in order...sweet.

garciap77
09-23-2011, 07:44 AM

So, will they all go under Early ISD. They do have the Whataburger you know!:D Purple and Gold!!!!:D Purple and Gold!!!!:D

garciap77
09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
This lawsuit was Gov. Perry's plan all along. He gets re-elected by saying he would balance the budget without raising taxes and cuts school funding to help do it. Knowing full well the Districts would sue! The State loses the lawsuit and must raise taxes to fund schools. Perry then comes back and says, "I didn't raise taxes, the court system made us..." And he gets to save face! I've said this to numerous people ever since the budget rumor hit 2 years ago!

Now its happening!
:iagree:
Just like he said, "I did not fire any teachers".......... !!!!!!

Black_Magic
09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
We are heading into a DEPRESSION, not a recession. I shouted last year, we are in DEFLATION. Take a look at the current property tax base, going down due to falling home prices and now look at the number of foreclosues hitting the market, prices going down further. His program will never pass. Thanks to the DO NOTHING CONGRESS and the Near Default of out debts... Obstruct obstruct obstruct... Why.. TO PROTECT MILLIONARES.. Thats why Congress aproval raiting is TWICE as low as OBAMAS.. THEY ARE BLAMED MORE BECAUSE THEY ARE PRIMARILY TO BLAME.. Good for those school districts and I hope they win....

Tiger Dad
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks to the DO NOTHING CONGRESS and the Near Default of out debts... Obstruct obstruct obstruct... Why.. TO PROTECT MILLIONARES.. Thats why Congress aproval raiting is TWICE as low as OBAMAS.. THEY ARE BLAMED MORE BECAUSE THEY ARE PRIMARILY TO BLAME.. Good for those school districts and I hope they win....Yes those congressmen are just awful, they actually went to D.C. and are doing what they were elected to do . STOP OBAMA AND HIS EVIL AGENDA !

Farmersfan
09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The thing that loses my support for the schools in this debate is the fact that although based on current SOP this new funding might not be adequate, that doesn't mean our children can't be properly educated under another, more efficient plan! But just like is the norm with the liberal crowd the answer is always throw more money at it regardless of how efficient or effective it is.

Also I am irked by the fact that the "Equity Center" will walk away with the first several million dollars out of your pocket if this suit is won!

pancho villa
09-23-2011, 09:27 AM
I think all of the folks who got a free education, but now complain about their taxes(cause they are adults) are numbnuts.

Black_Magic
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes those congressmen are just awful, they actually went to D.C. and are doing what they were elected to do . STOP OBAMA AND HIS EVIL AGENDA ! what Evil agenda. You talking about trying to stop health insurance companies from dening coverage ? Oh wait. your in the let them Die crowd.. We didnt sent them to shut the government down. HINT .. This is why they have a 22% approval raiting.. because we didnt send them to do what they have done... you may have but 78% of americans are pissed at them..