PDA

View Full Version : The Whole Big 12 Thing reminds me of

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Jerry Jones vs the NFL in mid-late 90's

He wanted teams to be able to do their own deals and keep the money..NFL screamed no, owners called him greedy and destroying the league..it was not fair because Dallas with their image would get deals easier

The year Dallas won their SB some of the games everyone on the sideline wore blank blue shirts because they were not recognized offical clothes by the NFL

Jones was roasted in the media, by the fans by everyone

then a funny thing happened..other teams started doing the same thing and it worked and worked it big time and many have credited the ability to do side deals and keep the money as part of the reason of the economic boom in the NFL, plus allowed owners to be more giving in revenue sharing with players.

Will UT and their LHN simply be the first one who jumped and others are screaming now but later will join them? I think that is huge possibility.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Jerry Jones vs the NFL in mid-late 90's

He wanted teams to be able to do their own deals and keep the money..NFL screamed no, owners called him greedy and destroying the league..it was not fair because Dallas with their image would get deals easier

The year Dallas won their SB some of the games everyone on the sideline wore blank blue shirts because they were not recognized offical clothes by the NFL

Jones was roasted in the media, by the fans by everyone

then a funny thing happened..other teams started doing the same thing and it worked and worked it big time and many have credited the ability to do side deals and keep the money as part of the reason of the economic boom in the NFL, plus allowed owners to be more giving in revenue sharing with players.

Will UT and their LHN simply be the first one who jumped and others are screaming now but later will join them? I think that is huge possibility.

do you think it will work the same for Collegiate Athletics (Football)? IMO different animal..collegiate and professional...this conference realignment it's being said is going to ruin college football (IDK)....what happens when team get their own networks like the horns, Bama, tOSU, USC and Florida what about .... What happens to the other schools and the game?

just wondering what you think....not calling out or knocking what you have said.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 01:44 PM
do you think it will work the same for Collegiate Athletics (Football)? IMO different animal..collegiate and professional...this conference realignment it's being said is going to ruin college football (IDK)....what happens when team get their own networks like the horns, Bama, tOSU, USC and Florida what about .... What happens to the other schools and the game?

just wondering what you think....not calling out or knocking what you have said.

I am one who believes that super conferences will help CFB because I believe it is the quickest way to a play off system

I dont see as far as money( and this as we know is what it is all about) how CFB is different than the NFL

If I was to predict I say in 20 years all the major schools have their own network whether alone or with someone else( regional ones like a network for Michigan and Mich State) and smaller schools will be part of networks by their conference

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I think all of these school specific networks are doomed to failure unless they make them available at no extra cost on basic tier cable/sat packages.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I think all of these school specific networks are doomed to failure unless they make them available at no extra cost on basic tier cable/sat packages.

they will be eventually in things like the Sports Package that Direct offers..that is where Big Ten Network is

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
they will be eventually in things like the Sports Package that Direct offers..that is where Big Ten Network isThe sports package is still extra cost, I'm talking about exapnded basic and the lowest tier of sat programming. I (and many people like me) really like sports, and like watching them on tv...but the one time a couple years ago that I actually got a sports package i found that I never had time to watch everything I wanted to....and all of the high profile stuff is on free tv anyway. The way the economy is these days you have more people cutting the cable/dish altogether than those willing to pay extra for special programming packages.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
The sports package is still extra cost, I'm talking about exapnded basic and the lowest tier of sat programming. I (and many people like me) really like sports, and like watching them on tv...but the one time a couple years ago that I actually got a sports package i found that I never had time to watch everything I wanted to....and all of the high profile stuff is on free tv anyway. The way the economy is these days you have more people cutting the cable/dish altogether than those willing to pay extra for special programming packages.

your point about the economy is dead on..but by the time IMO more schools have networks I think Cable and Sat will finally be full blown ala carte and not packaging...I know Verizon is playing around with it right now, we get the flyers all the time and that has to be the route they go as they are losing people to internet tv