PDA

View Full Version : Putting the pieces back together

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/21/3159108/dan-beebe-working-on-agreement.html

Dan Beebe working on agreement to exit Big 12
Sounds like he might be headed out today possibly.

I listend to a TTU station this morning and Kirby Hocutt(TTU athletic Director) was on there and said A&M was done. I know there has been a push to try to get them to stay but he confirmed what everyone else thought. Nothing could keep them there.

There is supposed to be a meeting today I believe with all the presidents of the big 12. On the agenda is Beebe, stabilizing the conference and a vote on the tier 3 rights.

The tier 3 rights is going to be the stickler. OU says they won't stay with the way the LHN is formed and UT says they won't budge on the LHN. I know Scott(of the pac-12) came out and said that they were done with re-alignment talks, but I am really doubting that. I think he just wanted things to slow down and really didn't want to do it in the middle of the school session. I'm sure his preference to work on this in spring and summer.

I really feel like the Big 12 is in the worst shape of any conference as far as stability goes and all the other conference directors are looking at the teams drooling. The problem is they all want to do a package deal that will include UT but without the LHN and it just won't happen and still get the presidents votes. At this moment, whoever the new Big 12 director will be needs to work in desperation mode. They can't sit back because it is falling as we speak. They are going to have to aggresively recruit top-tier teams/academics immediately. If they don't, other conferences will continue to pick and choose out the teams they want.

The obvious choices are UH, TCU possibly SMU. Honestly because of the way TV contracts work, only UH makes any sense. The DFW market is already saturated with OU, UT, BU, TTU and OSU. There is nothing to gain there. Because A&M will be leaving, there will be a huge Houston market to be gained back, and that's where UH comes in. They can't get it all back but right now it's damage control. Besides, TCU now has a heafty buy-out form the Big East.

ND and BYU are really non options for the same reason the big 12 is the mess it's in. The LHN and each school have their own TV rights. The other schools will not vote in schools that will put them further down the food chain. Having said that, I agree the best move is to go after the Big East schools. They do have a buy out, but if a large portion of the confrence is to disolve, it is really hard to pay a conference that doesn't exist. At this moment, as a package deal TCU may become viable because the other schools will bring a large enough fan base that it won't hurt too bad.

I think what it boils down to.....if the Big 12 will survive, they need to be the first Big-16 and they have a long way to go with very little leverage.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I think Texas right now is trying to hold on in the Big 12 for the couple of years as other programs such as OU, Bama, UGA look into and get their own network and then Texas can say..see not that bad is it?.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I think Texas right now is trying to hold on in the Big 12 for the couple of years as other programs such as OU, Bama, UGA look into and get their own network and then Texas can say..see not that bad is it?.

I agree, the last thing they wanted, is what's happening. I don't think the Big 12 is going to be the last conference to have a mutiny because of the Tier 3 rights. I really think the SEC will be bickering soon as soon as somebody gets it up and going.

I believe the Pac is the only conference that pools the tier 3 rights. (but they give USC and UCLA guaranteed value on their Tier 1/2, but the guarantee wasn't needed because the contract was soo big)

DavidWooderson
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Houston would be a good choice, BUT you have to remember that the Big East is crumbling faster than the Big 12, so TCU may have an easier out.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Houston would be a good choice, BUT you have to remember that the Big East is crumbling faster than the Big 12, so TCU may have an easier out.

Is it? Seems to be they are crumbling together.

Back to topic, I still think TCU brings nothing to the table by themselves financially and for some reason both BU and UT are not keen on the idea of having them in the same conference. I suspect it has more to do with recruiting than anything. Perfect example is J.Gray choosing UT over hometown TCU. I firmly believe Gray pick TCU if TCU is in the Big 12.

turbostud
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
What about Rice?

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
What about Rice?

You probably know more about Rice than I do so I ask you. All I know is they are not great at football but are pretty decent at baseball. Academics obviously are way up there. Does anyone watch Rice games? Do they fill their stadium? Facilities? I really don't know. I do know they have a pretty bad ass band.

Now there is something to be said for a team that is in a poor conference to upgrade to a better conference. They will immediately take a small bump in recruiting.

Unfortunatly the financial gains out weigh historic rivalries by tenfold easily.

turbostud
09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
You probably know more about Rice than I do so I ask you. All I know is they are not great at football but are pretty decent at baseball. Academics obviously are way up there. Does anyone watch Rice games? Do they fill their stadium? Facilities? I really don't know. I do know they have a pretty bad ass band.

Now there is something to be said for a team that is in a poor conference to upgrade to a better conference. They will immediately take a small bump in recruiting.

Unfortunatly the financial gains out weigh historic rivalries by tenfold easily.

I dont know anything about them other then they are decent in baseball, but I ask only because they could fill the void left by A&M. Even UTEP could as well. Even La. Tech. There are teams out there that could keep the Big 12 afloat.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
idk....how much any regional team would help(financially) other than to keep the big12 together...BYU and ND longshots...but big boosts.................the school that I am surprised doesn't come up more often is Tulsa.

DavidWooderson
09-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Rice has nothing facilities wise, very small alumni group because it is a very small college. They don't fill up the stadium and the stadium itself is falling apart. They aren't very good at other sports but baseball.

Tulsa doesn't bring anything to the table. Same with Rice, bad stadium, bad facilities, not a big alumni base, OU and OSU already have Oklahoma TVs, no reason to go after the "Tulsa" market because they already have it.

With the Big East going down there is also the thought of going after Louisville, West Virigina, Cincy, etc.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Rice has nothing facilities wise, very small alumni group because it is a very small college. They don't fill up the stadium and the stadium itself is falling apart. They aren't very good at other sports but baseball.

Tulsa doesn't bring anything to the table. Same with Rice, bad stadium, bad facilities, not a big alumni base, OU and OSU already have Oklahoma TVs, no reason to go after the "Tulsa" market because they already have it.

With the Big East going down there is also the thought of going after Louisville, West Virigina, Cincy, etc.

outside of Notre Dame....no one team will bring much..........the Big East is following apart? Better tell that to East Carolina..they applied for membership yesterday............the Big xii will collapse soon...not matter what they try.

ask why would any team what to come to the big xii when many are looking to leave including the team the others are pointing to as the problem.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/21/3386820/sooners-embarrassed-after-not.html