PDA

View Full Version : Texas-A&M Football Game Future

ExScoop
09-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Do yall think it's a reality that the Longhorns and Aggies won't actually play in football when the conference split?

DeLoss Dodds's said in a story on the American Statesman site and Houston Chronicle site that that's a good possibility.
Thanksgiving would never be the same with the Longhorns not playing the Aggies

Went to my first Longhorn-Aggie game in 1974 at Memorial Stadium. Temp was 40 degrees- Wind Chill was 20 degrees-Longhorns I thinkg the score was 32-3

LIONS#1
09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Lets make this a Brownwood thread instead!!!:cheerl:

DavidWooderson
09-22-2011, 08:35 AM
There's a very good possibility. I could see the Texas/Tech game being moved to Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving weekend. I could see them playing but not many Non-Conference games are played late in the season. There are a few, but not many.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
There's a very good possibility. I could see the Texas/Tech game being moved to Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving weekend. I could see them playing but not many Non-Conference games are played late in the season. There are a few, but not many.

This was a viable option if UT and TTU were in a different conference without BU. TTU has made a comitment to BU to play their games on Thanksgiving. I don't see that changing and heres the reason why.

BU vs. TTU isn't really a "Seat filler". It doesn't make gameday, nothing really all that great about it. So for maximizing revenue, the teams have added a "gimick" to maximize profits. That' swhy they are doing the Thanksgiving/Cowboy Stadium/cotton bowl deal. It something new to both schools and has worked out well.

TTU vs UT is a seat filler. It has been for a while. This game has produced "Game day" twice I believe in the last 10 years and has harbored some national attention. It doesn't need any help to maximize the revenue.

If you take what would be lost on the BU/TTU game by moving back to a normal game and replacing it with UT/TTU on thanksgiving I don't see it gaining TTU anything. There is more for TTU to lose than for UT to gain.

JMHO

sahen
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
This was a viable option if UT and TTU were in a different conference without BU. TTU has made a comitment to BU to play their games on Thanksgiving. I don't see that changing and heres the reason why.

BU vs. TTU isn't really a "Seat filler". It doesn't make gameday, nothing really all that great about it. So for maximizing revenue, the teams have added a "gimick" to maximize profits. That' swhy they are doing the Thanksgiving/Cowboy Stadium/cotton bowl deal. It something new to both schools and has worked out well.

TTU vs UT is a seat filler. It has been for a while. This game has produced "Game day" twice I believe in the last 10 years and has harbored some national attention. It doesn't need any help to maximize the revenue.

If you take what would be lost on the BU/TTU game by moving back to a normal game and replacing it with UT/TTU on thanksgiving I don't see it gaining TTU anything. There is more for TTU to lose than for UT to gain.

JMHO

last year our game with yall at the cotton bowl was in october...i honestly hate that they play the game in the dallas area now and would be happy if we changed it back, i feel as though we give up a home game every other year because of this...but i think there is too much money involved now or something to do that so oh well...anyway, it could be moved is my point since last year the game wasn't in november...i think november just works well with our schedules and the cowboys schedule, if they had to find another weekend i think they could...

DavidWooderson
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
So more national exposure and playing TEXAS on Thanksgiving night when there isn't anything else on TV except a spare NFL game that half of the country doesn't get is a bad thing? Playing a game against Baylor that not even half of the REGIONAL market doesn't even get is a better plan?

sahen
09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
So more national exposure and playing TEXAS on Thanksgiving night when there isn't anything else on TV except a spare NFL game that half of the country doesn't get is a bad thing? Playing a game against Baylor that not even half of the REGIONAL market doesn't even get is a better plan?

to be fair baylor/tech on thanksgiving weekend was a national broadcast a couple years ago im sure...last year in october it was regional i think...there aren't a lot of games thanksgiving week period for college so a game in a major conference is normally national or at the least broadcast to multiple regions...

in the end, i expect UT/A&M to end their series for a few years, maybe 5 or so and then resume playing...especially if the Big 12 stays at 10 teams...with 10 teams and the way the big 12 has spread out the schedule several schools have 2 bye weeks during the year, UT could take their byes when most are playing non conference and then work with the big 12 to leave open thanksgiving so they could play a&m, not sure how the SEC is gonna make it work with their 13 teams (prolly 14 maybe 16 but the aggies could work that out probably)...but i do expect UT and A&M not to play for a while just because one or the other is making a point...one day they will cool off and play each other again, if not then maybe we will just have to wait for them to meet in the cotton bowl or something...

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Your missing the point, I'm not saying TTU vs UT isn't better, because it is, just saying there is more to lose by switching it for TTU. Only UT has anything to gain by moving it.

TTU dropping BU and adding UT is about as rational as TTU agreeing to have their game broadcast on the LHN. It only benifits 1-party financially.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
last year our game with yall at the cotton bowl was in october...i honestly hate that they play the game in the dallas area now and would be happy if we changed it back, i feel as though we give up a home game every other year because of this...but i think there is too much money involved now or something to do that so oh well...anyway, it could be moved is my point since last year the game wasn't in november...i think november just works well with our schedules and the cowboys schedule, if they had to find another weekend i think they could...

i thought like that about those games at neutral sites...but doesn't it work out as one team being the home team and the gate is treated like a home game for that team........and hasn't attendence been pretty good for those games...better than it would of been for a regular home game? I know the local business in lubbock and waco lose out.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 11:33 AM

You got it. I agree that I hate losing a home game, but it make too much sense now that both parties are seeing it was a succesful move.

RoyceTTU
09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
i thought like that about those games at neutral sites...but doesn't it work out as one team being the home team and the gate is treated like a home game for that team........and hasn't attendence been pretty good for those games...better than it would of been for a regular home game? I know the local business in lubbock and waco lose out.

The attendance has been greater for both parties as well as getting it picked up on TV.

sahen
09-22-2011, 11:40 AM

i dont know how the money is split but i was talking more about fans and all...as a season ticket holder its one less game i have in my tickets every other year, but also for baylor we aren't going to out number tech at any of these games minus us being badarse and them sucking horribly, the best we can hope for is 50/50 and most of the times its gonna at least be 60/40 for tech giving them what is almost a defacto home game against us every year....it works out great for dallas area alums but when your from other cities it isn't that great of a deal for baylor fans...if your from houston (2nd largest baylor alum population), san antonio, austin, anywhere south of waco basically then it is furthur away than waco...also add on to that the actual cost of going to a game at jerryworld, parking at jerryworld, and hotel and it is 3 to 4 times more costly than going to a game in waco...contrast that with tech fans who mainly live no where near lubbock then they get a sweet deal as dallas is a lot closer for them than lubbock...

i may not be in the majority for baylor fans thinking here as our largest alumni base is in dallas (barely more than houston i believe) but i would say there is a good chunk of baylor fans that think this way (at least 40%)...but like i said before, there is too much money involved now so it will probably stay how it is...

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 11:40 AM
I really don't think that proving a point or hurt feelings has anything to do with not playing (at least by the universities themselves...big talking fans are another thing). I really think its scheduling and the chances of hurting late season rankings by losing a non conference game are factors..............the game means too much historically and financially to the schools and the busineses.........it's a big tv contest also for the time it's played.

sahen
09-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I really don't think that proving a point or hurt feelings has anything to do with not playing (at least by the universities themselves...big talking fans are another thing). I really think its scheduling and the chances of hurting late season rankings by losing a non conference game are factors..............the game means too much historically and financially to the schools and the busineses.........it's a big tv contest also for the time it's played.

i disagree, i think that for the first couple years they will not pay just based off of aggravation from this whole deal, but in the future your reasons for not playing may keep them from playing again...honestly, if i was a&m i wouldn't want to play the SEC West plus Texas every year, thats borderline crazy...

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 11:57 AM
i disagree, i think that for the first couple years they will not pay just based off of aggravation from this whole deal, but in the future your reasons for not playing may keep them from playing again...honestly, if i was a&m i wouldn't want to play the SEC West plus Texas every year, thats borderline crazy...Borderline crazy if your ultimate goal is a shot at the national championship, but it seems to me the culture at A&M is more geared towards moral victories by beating certain teams and then accepting whatever bowl their overall record qualifies them for. If getting to and winning a NC was their main focus then they wouldn't be leaving the Big 12..

coachc45
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
That is nuts!!!! If they didn't want to win a national title then they wouldn't go to the conference that has produced the last 5 National titles? Really?

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with the this is not about anger....It is about can the game on Thanksgiving Weekend still be a viable option...would not surprise me to see it moved to earlier in year

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
The Ags wanted out of Texas shadow so why would they want to keep playing them if they were so tired of being in their shadow?

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
The Ags wanted out of Texas shadow so why would they want to keep playing them if they were so tired of being in their shadow?

this:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/21/3386820/sooners-embarrassed-after-not.html

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
That is nuts!!!! If they didn't want to win a national title then they wouldn't go to the conference that has produced the last 5 National titles? Really?Except in rare cases when all of the planets are aligned a certain way...even the big name programs need to stay undefeated to increase their chances of playing in the NC game. You really think fighting through the SEC and playing one of the top two programs in the Big 12 every year is going to increase their chances? It may happen at some point, but I'm afraid we'll all either be long gone or too old to care by then..

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
this:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/21/3386820/sooners-embarrassed-after-not.html

OU did not want out because they want a network...I still think they brought UT to the PAC-12 table to see if UT could get concessions on the LHN and woud pave way for OU to land on their feet in the Pac 12 and yet still be able to form network down the road.

I still am amused how Nebraska claims they left cause Texas held all the power...yet when the Big 12 was formed they put the power in their hands...Nebraska never thought they would not be a top dog then and voted agianst equal revenue sharing and it came back to bite them

Everyone keeps calling what Texas is doing is being greedy..and yes they are...but they are also protecting their own interests first and foremost..something Nebraska did not do when the Big 12 was formed.

coachc45
09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Except in rare cases when all of the planets are aligned a certain way...even the big name programs need to stay undefeated to increase their chances of playing in the NC game. You really think fighting through the SEC and playing one of the top two programs in the Big 12 every year is going to increase their chances? It may happen at some point, but I'm afraid we'll all either be long gone or too old to care by then..

I said "that is nuts" in reply to you saying that aTm doesn't care about winning NCs only about beating a certain school. I don't think this game will be played after this year because they DO want to win NCs. They moved to the SEC to give themselves a better shot at winning titles and help recruiting!

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I said "that is nuts" in reply to you saying that aTm doesn't care about winning NCs only about beating a certain school. I don't think this game will be played after this year because they DO want to win NCs. They moved to the SEC to give themselves a better shot at winning titles and help recruiting!That is all in theory.

Reality is it won't help their recruiting as much as they think.
They have been a middle of the pack Big 12 team...average at best.
The possibility of them winning a MNC is even less than their chances in the Big 12.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
That is all in theory.

The possibility of them winning a MNC is even less than their chances in the Big 12.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Theory^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

coachc45
09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
That is all in theory.

They have been a middle of the pack Big 12 team...average at best.

Reality is that alot of kids from texas want to play in the SEC, aTm being in the SEC gives them a viable option inside the state. To say that it won't is just a Texas fan wearing their orange colored glasses and seeing what they want to see.

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I said "that is nuts" in reply to you saying that aTm doesn't care about winning NCs only about beating a certain school. I don't think this game will be played after this year because they DO want to win NCs. They moved to the SEC to give themselves a better shot at winning titles and help recruiting!It may help a bit with recruiting in Texas, but they still likely won't be landing many top players from Alabama, Florida etc....just ask Arkansas. I'm not saying that A&M has no chance to build a team that can run the table at some point, just that things won't get any easier in the SEC....and they're only now becoming relevant in the Big 12 more than 15 years after it's formation.

Pendragon13
09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Reality is that alot of kids from texas want to play in the SEC, aTm being in the SEC gives them a viable option inside the state. To say that it won't is just a Texas fan wearing their orange colored glasses and seeing what they want to see.That's true and will give a lift to recruiting in the short term, but 10 years down the road if A&M is continually a middle of the pack SEC team that is lucky to make it into a crappy bowl year after year...some will start looking at the other SEC teams or Texas/OU to at least get the opportunity for a BCS bowl. It's all just speculation really, the only sure thing is it will be interesting to see how everything plays out in the coming years..

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM
It may help a bit with recruiting in Texas, but they still likely won't be landing many top players from Alabama, Florida etc....just ask Arkansas. I'm not saying that A&M has no chance to build a team that can run the table at some point, just that things won't get any easier in the SEC....and they're only now becoming relevant in the Big 12 more than 15 years after it's formation.

I pretty sure the Aggies know what they are getting into.

Bull Butter
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Clemson-South Carolina, Florida St.-Florida, Georgia-Georgia Tech are all games played on Thanksgiving weekend featuring SEC schools vs. an Out of conference in-state rival. So don't tell me it can't be done.

coachc45
09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
That's true and will give a lift to recruiting in the short term, but 10 years down the road if A&M is continually a middle of the pack SEC team that is lucky to make it into a crappy bowl year after year...some will start looking at the other SEC teams or Texas/OU to at least get the opportunity for a BCS bowl. It's all just speculation really, the only sure thing is it will be interesting to see how everything plays out in the coming years..

I think that by getting the SEC bound Texas kids to go to aTm instead of Tenn, Ala, Aub, Fla, etc....then in the short term it will build a team that is not a "middle of the road" SEC team which will bring more kids into the program. And if Texas continues to under-achieve like last season, then that too will boost aTm's recruiting. I truly think that aTm is making the best move for their Nat'l Championship hopes. Staying in the Big 12 and having to compete on even-footing with Texas is not the way to get a NC, so they found an advantage.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 05:13 PM

now this one really hits the nail on the head.........................

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/pac-12-decision.html

bigcountry
09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I pretty sure the Aggies know what they are getting into.

No, not sure they do know what they are getting into...they haven't won a league title since 1998 in the Big 12, and now they think that is going to change in the SEC? Good luck with that one.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
now this one really hits the nail on the head.........................

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/pac-12-decision.html

I love the Pac said no...it was more like

We will take you only if you change the LHN

Texas says..We will come only if we keep LHN like it is now

both sides said not going to work

TheDOCTORdre
09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Reality is that alot of kids from texas want to play in the SEC, aTm being in the SEC gives them a viable option inside the state. To say that it won't is just a Texas fan wearing their orange colored glasses and seeing what they want to see.

reality is alot of kids from Texas want to play for Texas rather than A&M, mpving to the SEC isn't going to change that by leaps and bounds

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I think that by getting the SEC bound Texas kids to go to aTm instead of Tenn, Ala, Aub, Fla, etc....then in the short term it will build a team that is not a "middle of the road" SEC team which will bring more kids into the program. And if Texas continues to under-achieve like last season, then that too will boost aTm's recruiting. I truly think that aTm is making the best move for their Nat'l Championship hopes. Staying in the Big 12 and having to compete on even-footing with Texas is not the way to get a NC, so they found an advantage.Those Texas kids that go to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and Florida go there because they are Auburn, Bama, LSU and Florida.

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Next year in the SEC I guarantee you the Aggies will only win 7 games at the most! 2-3 of those wins will be against crappy non conference teams. I would even put the Aggies at .500 next year.

Why because of the losses they will have

Tannehill
Cyrus Gray
Christine Michael(possibly)
Jeff Fuller
starting center

one linebacker
The entire defensive line
3 out of 4 secondary members

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Next year in the SEC I guarantee you the Aggies will only win 7 games at the most! 2-3 of those wins will be against crappy non conference teams. I would even put the Aggies at .500 next year.

Why because of the losses they will have

Tannehill
Cyrus Gray
Christine Michael(possibly)
Jeff Fuller
starting center

one linebacker
The entire defensive line
3 out of 4 secondary members

oh the horror....we'll lose all that talent.......and win seven....I'll take seven..............while in the big 12 the horns will rebound to beat one good opponent in OU (maybe) and life is back to normal...and they will pound the others.....and we'll listen to how they are the greatest. They should be they have all that money, all that talent, some of the best facilities and all that talent on the coaching staff and because we all know that the road to the national is easier in the big xii...heard a lot of that lately.......................remember when your response to the aggies leaving was "well bye?" I liked that.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 08:48 PM
reality is alot of kids from Texas want to play for Texas rather than A&M, mpving to the SEC isn't going to change that by leaps and bounds

sorta............you re right many want to go to texas............but the aggies feel they have a great institution, great opportunities in all athletics and now with a first class conference in all sports they might just be able to make a name for themselves.....and maybe now the horn fans won't have to say the aggies have that what's the the phrase .............P-envy?

coachc45
09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Those Texas kids that go to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and Florida go there because they are Auburn, Bama, LSU and Florida.

Keep those Orange tinted glasses on..... Being in the SEC will make their recruiting better. Texas will get theirs but aTm will get better recruits because of this move. I think if you look at it objectively you will see that it only makes sense.

Txbroadcaster
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
As a Texas fan I wish A&M well...hate the partnership is breaking up, but dont hate A&M for why. I truly understand what they want and it is a huge gamble and I admire them for stepping out on their own and doing it.

In saying that..I think A&M football will struggle in the SEC. That is said without being angry or jealous or anything like that. And anyone on here knows I dont trash or name call or just say things to spite a fan base. I just dont think A&M will be anything but a 2nd tier team in the SEC who will yes beat the Miss States, Vandys, Kentuckys of the conference, but I think they will lose more often than not to the top teams. Maybe every so many years have that season that puts them a bit higher but I dont think in 10 years we are going to count A&M as a SEC power.....I really hope they do, I think it would be awesome to one day have A&M and Texas on a collision course for a NAtional Title game.

coachc45
09-22-2011, 09:29 PM
As a Texas fan I wish A&M well...hate the partnership is breaking up, but dont hate A&M for why. I truly understand what they want and it is a huge gamble and I admire them for stepping out on their own and doing it.

In saying that..I think A&M football will struggle in the SEC. That is said without being angry or jealous or anything like that. And anyone on here knows I dont trash or name call or just say things to spite a fan base. I just dont think A&M will be anything but a 2nd tier team in the SEC who will yes beat the Miss States, Vandys, Kentuckys of the conference, but I think they will lose more often than not to the top teams. Maybe every so many years have that season that puts them a bit higher but I dont think in 10 years we are going to count A&M as a SEC power.....I really hope they do, I think it would be awesome to one day have A&M and Texas on a collision course for a NAtional Title game.

Only time will tell....but I do know this. If aTm stayed in the Big 12 they would always be 2nd tier to UT and OU, I think this was a risk worth taking.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM

And anyone on here knows I dont trash or name call or just say things to spite a fan base.

and this my friend (may I call you friend)...I respect your post and imput/answers to question I ask you.

someday we need to meet and drink a coke or two............maybe at a horn or ag game.

NastySlot
09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Only time will tell....but I do know this. If aTm stayed in the Big 12 they would always be 2nd tier to UT and OU, I think this was a risk worth taking.

i agree

Saggy Aggie
09-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I think the move to the SEC is a huge part of 'Vision 2020.'

A&M is trying to become a top 10 public univ (currently 19), and I guess the people in charge think the SEC gives them more opportunity to do that?

trojandad
09-23-2011, 06:51 AM
I think the move to the SEC is a huge part of 'Vision 2020.'

A&M is trying to become a top 10 public univ (currently 19), and I guess the people in charge think the SEC gives them more opportunity to do that?

in my thinking, this is the single biggest move for a&m since going co-ed....all the word back then was how it was going to destroy the school, yaddee yaddee.....nothing could have been further from the truth, and time bore that out....

the possibility is always that a&m will suffer with this move, possibly be miss state's door mat....but which one of us, when choosing a table to sit at in vegas, wouldnt take the table with the better odds with the same dice roll?...win the big 12? get a 3-4 ranking.....when the sec? play for the whole tamale...

besides, the gamble for a&m isnt giving up texas recruits, heck ou puts together a championship team each year with kids not wanting to go to ut, the gamble is FINALLY getting a&m's own alums to get their eyes off one game with texas each year and on a higher prize....if they make that one established, hard core, saw 'em off swing, they have SO much more assets, strengths, etc to draw off of than vandy, miss st, ole miss etc that it isnt even discussable.....loftins biggest gamble is the zachrys of a&m dont end up burning him in effagy, not that he loses a recruiting battle....

Txbroadcaster
09-23-2011, 08:54 AM
and this my friend (may I call you friend)...I respect your post and imput/answers to question I ask you.

someday we need to meet and drink a coke or two............maybe at a horn or ag game.

heck yea that would be greatness

I have been to two UT games..went and saw them play SMU Ricky Williams's freshman year..and then went and saw them play 2001 Big 12 title game( yes ending sucked)

great story on the title game...That was the year OU lost to Okla state on last weekend...so OU fans were throwing tickets up on EBAY...We somehow found the coolest one who sold us tickets at face value..we get to game and find out everyone around us had paid like 200 and above per seat on ebay and we got them for so much cheaper

ExScoop
09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
It's still won't be the same with the Longhorns not playing the Aggies on Thanksgiving. It's been a tradtion handed down for almost 100 years. I used to think DeLoss Dodds had some goo sense . He was better peson as a coach instead of an AD-Don't think he is representing UT well.

I couldn't give a flip about what team is playing in what conference-The Big 12 was very competitive and respected 5-10 years ago. It's all about greed and money.

regaleagle
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
+1 You said a mouthful there, chief.