PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Suggestions please

DalhartAlumni
09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
So I joined the Military straight out of High School, and I only signed a 3 year contract, am going to be getting out when my contract is up, and am thinking about taking my GI Bill and going to a small college and want to attempt to walk on somewhere, I played Left Tackle(Offense) and DT/NG in High School, I also was 6'1 270lbs, I am now 6'1 210lbs and am stronger than I was in High School(sadly haha), but I am really not sure where to start the whole process, I still have a year left on my contract, but looking for any suggestions or what not, on how I can get all this jump started and any colleges that have a new football program around Central United States areas that would not be too difficult to walk on at, I love football and miss it, and just want to put the pads on for one last time and just knock some heads, and not sure how many years of Eligibility I would still have if I did this.

Thank you for any suggestions or tips in advance

Old LB
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Forget about football, take your GI bill and attend the best college you can afford, put your efforts into a top of the line education. If you can not live with out football then find a place where you can play semi-pro on your own time. Advice from an old guy. :thumbsup:

trojandad
09-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Forget about football, take your GI bill and attend the best college you can afford, put your efforts into a top of the line education. If you can not live with out football then find a place where you can play semi-pro on your own time. Advice from an old guy. :thumbsup:

i agree with old lb (and im old too), but my wifes friends graduating with high grades from a school like sam houston are not only having difficult times finding good jobs, but they are having tough times finding upper level grad schools to take them...we could suggest you go to a shsu, sfa or the loisiana small schools just so you could play walk on football, but you really should look at the long run and use your bill on the best school your grades will let you into....it could be the difference after graduation between having a diploma that got you a job and one that didnt.....good luck !!

Old Tiger
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
i agree with old lb (and im old too), but my wifes friends graduating with high grades from a school like sam houston are not only having difficult times finding good jobs, but they are having tough times finding upper level grad schools to take them...we could suggest you go to a shsu, sfa or the loisiana small schools just so you could play walk on football, but you really should look at the long run and use your bill on the best school your grades will let you into....it could be the difference after graduation between having a diploma that got you a job and one that didnt.....good luck !!Re-enlist and wait till economy gets better. Save up too.