PDA

View Full Version : So Big 12...now what

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 07:53 AM
This has gotten almost comical...Now it looks like Big 12 will have to stay together

OldBison75
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Just remember that the SEC released a statement that they were not looking to expand and were happy withthe teams they had before they voted a week later to add TAMU. These type statements are geared to tell the world that the conference is not enticing schools to leave their current conference.

I thinks there will be a real effort to bring the Big 12 back to life, but I really don't see it working unless Texas agrees to re-configure the LHN and share revenue from the network. I can see the network changed to the Big 12 Network, with programming from all conference schools. They could actually then carry Big 12 games every week-maybe two every Saturday. Lots of bucks would be available to every conference school.

I would love to see the Big 12 with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, and Rice in the South. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State in the north. The conference would not be the home of football powerhouses from top to bottom, but overall sports would be great. Lots of great baseball, basketball, track and field, and women's sports in those schools.

Daddy D 11
09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
raid the big east, get:
WVU
Louisville
Cincy
TCU
USF

then add:
UofH
BOISE

That leaves you with:

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincy
USF
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Mizzou

West:
OU
OSU
UT
TT
BU
TCU
Boise
UofH

...And there's your super conference, and your good tv markets, and your pretty dang good league top to bottom in a variety of sports. makes the east a hoops powerhouse and makes the west the football equivalent

vet93
09-21-2011, 09:56 AM
There was a difference in the tone and wording of the SEC statement vs. the Pac 12 statement. The SEC statement was much more open to the idea of immediate expansion if the circumstances were right. The Pac 12 statement appeared to be a little more final and closed to immediate expansion. That is just my read on the matter...howerver, this alignment deal has been so crazy...it wouldn't surprise me if everything gets stood on its ear again in a few days!

Just remember that the SEC released a statement that they were not looking to expand and were happy withthe teams they had before they voted a week later to add TAMU. These type statements are geared to tell the world that the conference is not enticing schools to leave their current conference.

I thinks there will be a real effort to bring the Big 12 back to life, but I really don't see it working unless Texas agrees to re-configure the LHN and share revenue from the network. I can see the network changed to the Big 12 Network, with programming from all conference schools. They could actually then carry Big 12 games every week-maybe two every Saturday. Lots of bucks would be available to every conference school.

I would love to see the Big 12 with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, and Rice in the South. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State in the north. The conference would not be the home of football powerhouses from top to bottom, but overall sports would be great. Lots of great baseball, basketball, track and field, and women's sports in those schools.

Phil C
09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Too many times trying to dictate to UT. UT needs to tell OU bye and wish A&M the best in the SEC. Why not establish the old SWC and make it a real one. OU wouldn't be invited of course and A&M is gone and Arkansas is out because they started the thing that destroyed the old SWC so they can't be trusted. We could still have a good collection of teams with some OOC games. We wouldn't get them all probably but we could get our share and have a real SWC. It would consist of possible UT, TT, Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, North Texas State, UTEP and maybe even New Mexico, New Mexico State, Texas State and/or UTSA. Worth strong consideration.

Old Tiger
09-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Just try your best to pick up BYU.

jockcity33
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
How 'bout UT just learning how to share? UT is the reason for all the conference jumpin, because they already are one of the richest schools in theBig 12 but they are not content with that so they think they need more, and they are causing the demise of the big 12.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
How 'bout UT just learning how to share? UT is the reason for all the conference jumpin, because they already are one of the richest schools in theBig 12 but they are not content with that so they think they need more, and they are causing the demise of the big 12.

funny how it works..back in early days of Big 12 Nebraska was one of the schools AGIANST revenue sharing because at the time they were the big dogs fresh off of NC titles..Texas and OU was for Revenue sharing at that time..but it was voted down..so UT said ok well then lets do what we can to make ourselves better in the systen the conference voted for..now they are trashed for that

Old Tiger
09-21-2011, 10:17 AM
How 'bout UT just learning how to share? UT is the reason for all the conference jumpin, because they already are one of the richest schools in theBig 12 but they are not content with that so they think they need more, and they are causing the demise of the big 12.No...conference realignment talk started last year.

Texas went to big 12 to see if they wanted to start a big 12 network.....big 12 and dan beebe said no
Texas went to A&M asking to see if they wanted to start a lone star network with equal revenue sharing.....A&M said no
So Texas was like screw it and started the LHN and ESPN paid

All the conference realignment talk started well before LHN was thought of or created and it is all based on $$$ anyway.

Why should Texas have to share their revenue with teams like Iowa State, Kansas State, and others who don't even make a quarter of what Texas does?

playnhurt
09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Why don't we just resurrect the Southwest Conference (leave Arkansas out) and the Big 8!

WildTexan972
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Too many times trying to dictate to UT. UT needs to tell OU bye and wish A&M the best in the SEC. Why not establish the old SWC and make it a real one. OU wouldn't be invited of course and A&M is gone and Arkansas is out because they started the thing that destroyed the old SWC so they can't be trusted. We could still have a good collection of teams with some OOC games. We wouldn't get them all probably but we could get our share and have a real SWC. It would consist of possible UT, TT, Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, North Texas State, UTEP and maybe even New Mexico, New Mexico State, Texas State and/or UTSA. Worth strong consideration.

more cow drivel.....that would be the WEAKEST conference in history and would NOT be worthy of a BCS automatic bid...I know you listed many of the patsy cow OOC opponents, but to make them your conference games is just stupid....

the Big12-2-1 won't last....the PAC says no now, but OU can go to SEC if all they do is ask, and if the Big10+2 and SEC and ACC grow to 16 then the PAC will probably need to as well.....the East and the 12-2-1 will be the conferences to go away or drop down to WAC caliber.....CowTV won't survive in its present form, which may well be why ESPN was willing to over pay so much for 3rd tier broadcast rights....

Old Tiger
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
more cow drivel.....that would be the WEAKEST conference in history and would NOT be worthy of a BCS automatic bid...I know you listed many of the patsy cow OOC opponents, but to make them your conference games is just stupid....

the Big12-2-1 won't last....the PAC says no now, but OU can go to SEC if all they do is ask, and if the Big10+2 and SEC and ACC grow to 16 then the PAC will probably need to as well.....the East and the 12-2-1 will be the conferences to go away or drop down to WAC caliber.....CowTV won't survive in its present form, which may well be why ESPN was willing to over pay so much for 3rd tier broadcast rights....Have you seen the Big East the past 4 BCS bowls...That was a way worse conference than Big 12 EVER.

1st and goal
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Texas went to A&M asking to see if they wanted to start a lone star network with equal revenue sharing.....A&M said no
So Texas was like screw it and started the LHN and ESPN paid

This ordeal about the offer with A&M has been brought up before and I have looked for details on why A&M turned it down. All I could find (and can't verify) was that UT's offer was a 70/30 split, not equal. Can anyone substantiate this? If this is true, I can understand why A&M turned it down. If not, I'm still scratching my head in confusion. I just would like this clarified so we can all know.

coach
09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
This ordeal about the offer with A&M has been brought up before and I have looked for details on why A&M turned it down. All I could find (and can't verify) was that UT's offer was a 70/30 split, not equal. Can anyone substantiate this? If this is true, I can understand why A&M turned it down. If not, I'm still scratching my head in confusion. I just would like this clarified so we can all know.

it was closer to 60-40. but yea...it def. was not 50-50. plus atm went back to texas and said ok we changed our minds lets do it and texas said too late

sahen
09-21-2011, 11:02 AM
the first step for the big 12 to become stable is to fire Beebe, if the UT and OU are serious about working out their differences and trying to make this thing work then they will both be on board with that...if they keep Beebe then in my opinion they are just putting a bandaid on it for the time being...Beebe has to be the worst commissioner in the history of college sports, maybe any sport...in the past 10 years or so the Big 12 has been the 2nd best football conference and had just as good of a basketball conference as any other, there is no reason the big 12 should have lost 1 school, much less 3 except for inept leadership...

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 11:14 AM
the first step for the big 12 to become stable is to fire Beebe, if the UT and OU are serious about working out their differences and trying to make this thing work then they will both be on board with that...if they keep Beebe then in my opinion they are just putting a bandaid on it for the time being...Beebe has to be the worst commissioner in the history of college sports, maybe any sport...in the past 10 years or so the Big 12 has been the 2nd best football conference and had just as good of a basketball conference as any other, there is no reason the big 12 should have lost 1 school, much less 3 except for inept leadership...

this times 1000

Beebe could have been proactive once A&M said they wanted to leave, but no he says well we need to wait and see if OU will leave..REALLY?? waiting for schools to leave is a bad idea. the ACC showed that if you want it, go get it

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Saw a thing on the ESPN ticket that OU will stay if Beebr is fired and more clear rules on the LHN are put in place.

NastySlot
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM

all i have ever heard was a quote...from Dollar Bill......"why would I turn a chance at making millions for the University?"

idk ....gotta kinda ask why would esp. since had to go borrow from the university.

Pendragon13
09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
The solution seems simple to me, make revenue sharing for the Big 12 tv contract equal among all schools...and then give schools that agree to play a game on the LHN an equal share for however much that game brings in. Of course UT won't be making as much dough if they have to share LHN revenue....but it will still be more than the other shcools that don't have their own network.

NastySlot
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM

I agree with this.

Phil C
09-21-2011, 01:30 PM
This conference I mentioned would not be a weak conference especially in the long one as several teams are just on the verge of greatness. The old SWC was a hugh success. Remember in the old SWC SMU and TCU were national champions in football once in the 30s. Rice in the 40s and 50s would win the SWC championship at least once every four years and Baylor had some top ranked teams. And don't forget that we just barely beat North Texas in 1988. And UTEP and New Mexico and New Mexico
State would attract good West Texas and New Mexico recruits in such a conference. You have to remember t hat New Mexico State was ahead 7-0 early in the UT game in 2003 and UTEP was at one point up on us 6-0 in 2008. So there are possibilities that this conference will be much stronger than some think. It is worth discussing and considering.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:43 PM
This conference I mentioned would not be a weak conference especially in the long one as several teams are just on the verge of greatness. The old SWC was a hugh success. Remember in the old SWC SMU and TCU were national champions in football once in the 30s. Rice in the 40s and 50s would win the SWC championship at least once every four years and Baylor had some top ranked teams. And don't forget that we just barely beat North Texas in 1988. And UTEP and New Mexico and New Mexico
State would attract good West Texas and New Mexico recruits in such a conference. You have to remember t hat New Mexico State was ahead 7-0 early in the UT game in 2003 and UTEP was at one point up on us 6-0 in 2008. So there are possibilities that this conference will be much stronger than some think. It is worth discussing and considering.

please...I beg you...stop the schtick in certain threads

RoyceTTU
09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Report: Big 12 to ask Beebe for resignation

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32155168?source=rss_blogs_NCAAF

I hope so, this guy is worthless.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Report: Big 12 to ask Beebe for resignation

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32155168?source=rss_blogs_NCAAF

I hope so, this guy is worthless.

he misplayed it BIG TIME..If he would have been pro active when A&M left I think alot of things would have been settled, but his whole well lets wait and see what OU does was a bad bad bad move

RoyceTTU
09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
he misplayed it BIG TIME..If he would have been pro active when A&M left I think alot of things would have been settled, but his whole well lets wait and see what OU does was a bad bad bad move

To be honest, Chuck Norris himself can't hold this together. I think it will fall apart sooner than later.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
To be honest, Chuck Norris himself can't hold this together. I think it will fall apart sooner than later.

maybe, maybe not..but for the conference to sit back and do nothing was bad..ACC showed you want to be a player, go get the schools

I still believe UT is sitting back and trying to get the Big 12 to survive long enough as other schools explore and get their own network....all of this reminds me alot of the NFL in the 90's with Jerry Jones

eagles_victory
09-21-2011, 03:48 PM
please...I beg you...stop the schtick in certain threads Or just all together... It has been tired since about 06.

regaleagle
09-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Make the agreement with OU to share the revenue among all schools, pick up BYU and UH, and go from there. If Missouri still wants to leave for the SEC, let TCU or SMU take that spot. With the Big East reconfigurating, TCU may be able to get out of its contractual obligations, or have an escape clause up until it becomes a member. Does anyone know about TCU's agreement with the Big East?

SHSBulldog00
09-21-2011, 04:43 PM
The Big 12 will stay together. Look for them to offer BYU, Cincinnati and West Virginia most likely in that order. BYU is very interested.

RoyceTTU
09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Make the agreement with OU to share the revenue among all schools, pick up BYU and UH, and go from there. If Missouri still wants to leave for the SEC, let TCU or SMU take that spot. With the Big East reconfigurating, TCU may be able to get out of its contractual obligations, or have an escape clause up until it becomes a member. Does anyone know about TCU's agreement with the Big East?

I glad I can read your post. The others are just too small:crazy:

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Make the agreement with OU to share the revenue among all schools, pick up BYU and UH, and go from there. If Missouri still wants to leave for the SEC, let TCU or SMU take that spot. With the Big East reconfigurating, TCU may be able to get out of its contractual obligations, or have an escape clause up until it becomes a member. Does anyone know about TCU's agreement with the Big East?no TCU, Houston, or SMU at all!