PDA

View Full Version : Sideline To Sideline Week 4

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
ok this week we stepped out of 3A for a bit to discuss the Harlingen Win

we then discuss CH vs Lindale, G's take on Coldspring..and bounce around Regon 4 and close with a bunch of random stuff

had some audio issues so apologize for any problems

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

Tejastrue
09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Link didn't work for me

This one's good

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Link didn't work for me

This one's good

thanks..I used Admin link by mistake lol

trojandad
09-20-2011, 10:23 PM
first, good show, learned a lot about paris i didnt know....

i think grant was very fair with us, i think chance andries is the best kept secret in 3a ball...i guarantee carthages coach knows him, he withstood every double team they threw at him in last years game holding holland to just 80 something yards...counting solo tackles and assists, hes averaging almost 20 tackles/game...hes the reason coach can now concentrate on the rest of the defense...

gilbert is getting almost as many reps on defense as offense this year and it shows, g2 can attest he spotted an orangefield runner about 10 yards and brought him down before he scored, then the defense pushed them back out of field goal range...coach is running the heck out of monroe and those two sophomore backs and letting gilbert sense the game overall rather than just as a runner...

speaking of gilbert, i say very little about his overall demeanor, but if you hang with the team youd be hard pressed to know which one is the star if you didnt already know, the guy is so much of a team player....coach really has a luxury of not having to stroke his ego and concern himself with the big picture of winning it all....not much more can be said for the top dog of a team....

you guys got on the subject of who was the toughest team on the horizon, well ive got a thought or two on that....everyone that has read my posts knows that i have been trying to figure out why we had such an easy time with athens last year (44-14) when some of those other "district of death" teams had their hands full with them...well i wont keep beating that horse, but here is another angle of unknown in that game....on that playoff run last year we beat bridge city, columbus and athens by pretty much the same margin, and wimberly by a bigger one than most (even me) expected, but in the games except for the athens one the other teams expressed disgust, disappointment and even anger at losing so badly, it showed in throwing helmets, penalties on the field, etc.....athens showed none of this, absolutely zero....jdog and i were calling them the stepford team because no matter how poorly they were doing, theyd politely walk off the field on 4th down, say little when a big play was executed on them, it was amazing to watch...it was as if they knew they were going to lose and it was ok....this is the same team that fought back against chapel hill so you know they dont quit, and yet we were the only ones that scored from 11:53 in the 2nd qtr until the end....

it was the strangest playoff game i ever witnessed in the lack of emotion from a team, especially in the 4th round....then a friend walking out with me, when talking about what we had seen, said "i think they played the best team in the state, knew what that was like, and couldnt believe what they were facing in us"....now i know hes a homer and a half, but it made itself even more clear the next week when wimberly was behind us far more than anyone expected and some of the def backs got disappointed in the way the game was going and picked up some very understandable roughing calls (wimbopro and i were talking about it during the game)....it even brought out more the lack of emotion athens played with....

i say all that to say i dont have a clue what to make of athens, that was the one playoff game we had that almost didnt seem like it was even a game, more like a scrimmage....its the team that, should we play again, i hope we dont go to sleep on for that very reason....but i still think our rough time in region is gonna come from wo-s....like its EVER been possible for that bunch to fly under the radar, this is that year...both their losses scare me, and if they win their district well most likely meet them in the regional finals....theyve played far better competition so far this year than we have, and i sure hope that doesnt end up showing for us...one thing good about lesser competition during the year, tho, is we have FAR fewer injuries this time this year than last year.....

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:35 AM
first, good show, learned a lot about paris i didnt know....

i think grant was very fair with us, i think chance andries is the best kept secret in 3a ball...i guarantee carthages coach knows him, he withstood every double team they threw at him in last years game holding holland to just 80 something yards...counting solo tackles and assists, hes averaging almost 20 tackles/game...hes the reason coach can now concentrate on the rest of the defense...

gilbert is getting almost as many reps on defense as offense this year and it shows, g2 can attest he spotted an orangefield runner about 10 yards and brought him down before he scored, then the defense pushed them back out of field goal range...coach is running the heck out of monroe and those two sophomore backs and letting gilbert sense the game overall rather than just as a runner...

speaking of gilbert, i say very little about his overall demeanor, but if you hang with the team youd be hard pressed to know which one is the star if you didnt already know, the guy is so much of a team player....coach really has a luxury of not having to stroke his ego and concern himself with the big picture of winning it all....not much more can be said for the top dog of a team....

you guys got on the subject of who was the toughest team on the horizon, well ive got a thought or two on that....everyone that has read my posts knows that i have been trying to figure out why we had such an easy time with athens last year (44-14) when some of those other "district of death" teams had their hands full with them...well i wont keep beating that horse, but here is another angle of unknown in that game....on that playoff run last year we beat bridge city, columbus and athens by pretty much the same margin, and wimberly by a bigger one than most (even me) expected, but in the games except for the athens one the other teams expressed disgust, disappointment and even anger at losing so badly, it showed in throwing helmets, penalties on the field, etc.....athens showed none of this, absolutely zero....jdog and i were calling them the stepford team because no matter how poorly they were doing, theyd politely walk off the field on 4th down, say little when a big play was executed on them, it was amazing to watch...it was as if they knew they were going to lose and it was ok....this is the same team that fought back against chapel hill so you know they dont quit, and yet we were the only ones that scored from 11:53 in the 2nd qtr until the end....

it was the strangest playoff game i ever witnessed in the lack of emotion from a team, especially in the 4th round....then a friend walking out with me, when talking about what we had seen, said "i think they played the best team in the state, knew what that was like, and couldnt believe what they were facing in us"....now i know hes a homer and a half, but it made itself even more clear the next week when wimberly was behind us far more than anyone expected and some of the def backs got disappointed in the way the game was going and picked up some very understandable roughing calls (wimbopro and i were talking about it during the game)....it even brought out more the lack of emotion athens played with....

i say all that to say i dont have a clue what to make of athens, that was the one playoff game we had that almost didnt seem like it was even a game, more like a scrimmage....its the team that, should we play again, i hope we dont go to sleep on for that very reason....but i still think our rough time in region is gonna come from wo-s....like its EVER been possible for that bunch to fly under the radar, this is that year...both their losses scare me, and if they win their district well most likely meet them in the regional finals....theyve played far better competition so far this year than we have, and i sure hope that doesnt end up showing for us...one thing good about lesser competition during the year, tho, is we have FAR fewer injuries this time this year than last year.....

good insight Td but for clarification...none of the District of doom( Henderson, Gilmer Carthage) played Athens..it was Chapel Hill that played them...but I have to ask..what is you thing with the Athens game? Coldspring won and did so in dominating fashion, but you seem stuck on that game and the Chapel Hill vs Athens game where Athens makes a comeback late to make it a close game..That happens all the time, good teams play bad on a night and get beat worse than the talent level

I was not at the game but how Athens reacted to what you talked about might be about the fact athens was just happy to be that deep in the play-offs. They are not a year in and year out play-off team( last year was first play-of win since 1990). So the trip itself might have been enough for the Hornets

trojandad
09-21-2011, 06:45 AM
good insight Td but for clarification...none of the District of doom( Henderson, Gilmer Carthage) played Athens..it was Chapel Hill that played them...but I have to ask..what is you thing with the Athens game? Coldspring won and did so in dominating fashion, but you seem stuck on that game and the Chapel Hill vs Athens game where Athens makes a comeback late to make it a close game..That happens all the time, good teams play bad on a night and get beat worse than the talent level

I was not at the game but how Athens reacted to what you talked about might be about the fact athens was just happy to be that deep in the play-offs. They are not a year in and year out play-off team( last year was first play-of win since 1990). So the trip itself might have been enough for the Hornets

ill try it one more time, what i think everyone forgets is, except for k'ville who beat us, we had no games against anyone ranked last year, sorta like this year, so it was hard to tell how good we were...it was the big reason i kept quiet most of last year when so many wouldnt rank us...royal would put weight on their super back, so would k'ville, but few noticed we had two backs putting up the same numbers those super backs were, and with fewer games....i mean it was so bad last year that the chronicle had cleveland ranked in area ahead of us even after we had soundly beaten them....but the place i didnt blame people was in that we had no games against really good teams, except k'ville and we lost the first one....

when we played athens, they had played a darn good team and even though youve spent a lot of words out here dismissing their comeback (and you have if you look back on what youve written), it took a team better than any we had played, save and except for k'ville, to come back on them and make it close....if we had come back on chapel hill like that i wouldnt dismiss it, if wimberly had, or carthage had, it would be noticed....well aside from k'ville, it was the first team we had played that i knew had played a very good team a very good game.....and as it turned out, a 30 point completely dominating win was a good indication of how good we were, and it showed the following week better than i ever thought it would....so im very ok with what i was drawing from that game....

as for athens reaction, you may be right....it reminded me of playing tarkington or shepherd, the game is over quick and not much excitement comes from our stands for late tds scored....by the time sykes made that pick for a td late in the game i dont even think we sounded the horn after a td....the guys across the field just looked like their will was gone....ive been to several regional finals and it was just a strange game.....but you very well may be right as far as why.....

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I skipped straight to the Wc part, and I think the analysis was pretty accurate. All us Wc fans expected to go in and beat Kashmere by 30, and they didnt. (34-26) However, keep in mind, Columbia was winning this game 26-0 at half. A little more indicative of what we expected to see but they fell apart and nearly blew it in the 2nd half.

WC isn't as good as they were at this point last year because they had a polished o line and QB last year. The defense was new in 2010. All new line and new QB but a polished defense this year (has been up and down), so you see struggles on offense and more low scoring games (as opposed to last year).

Sean Flannel and Floyd Bess running the ball are absolute beasts but they have some o line trouble in front of them. Surovik will get it straightened out and they have a good test this week like y'all said against bay city.

I do believe the offense will come around and this team will eventually be as good or better than last years squad, but its gonna take more reps for the offense. Because of that, Wc isn't a top 10 team right now. But they will be when the offense gets through district. That top 10 ranking is based on last year and them being 4-0. Its a completely different team with new issues. The best sign is, this team is undefeated and shut out lagrange 29-0. A lot of upside yet to be seen IMO. About as honest as I can be.

Gsquared
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I skipped straight to the Wc part, and I think the analysis was pretty accurate. All us Wc fans expected to go in and beat Kashmere by 30, and they didnt. (34-26) However, keep in mind, Columbia was winning this game 26-0 at half. A little more indicative of what we expected to see but they fell apart and nearly blew it in the 2nd half.

WC isn't as good as they were at this point last year because they had a polished o line and QB last year. The defense was new in 2010. All new line and new QB but a polished defense this year (has been up and down), so you see struggles on offense and more low scoring games (as opposed to last year).

Sean Flannel and Floyd Bess running the ball are absolute beasts but they have some o line trouble in front of them. Surovik will get it straightened out and they have a good test this week like y'all said against bay city.

I do believe the offense will come around and this team will eventually be as good or better than last years squad, but its gonna take more reps for the offense. Because of that, Wc isn't a top 10 team right now. But they will be when the offense gets through district. That top 10 ranking is based on last year and them being 4-0. Its a completely different team with new issues. The best sign is, this team is undefeated and shut out lagrange 29-0. A lot of upside yet to be seen IMO. About as honest as I can be.

Hey, im wanting to come down there and see WC. Who do they have on Oct 14th?

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey, im wanting to come down there and see WC. Who do they have on Oct 14th?WC has Wharton at home on Oct 14.

Gsquared
09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
WC has Wharton at home on Oct 14.

Might have to make that one

Roughneck93
09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I skipped straight to the Wc part, and I think the analysis was pretty accurate. All us Wc fans expected to go in and beat Kashmere by 30, and they didnt. (34-26) However, keep in mind, Columbia was winning this game 26-0 at half. A little more indicative of what we expected to see but they fell apart and nearly blew it in the 2nd half. WC isn't as good as they were at this point last year because they had a polished o line and QB last year. The defense was new in 2010. All new line and new QB but a polished defense this year (has been up and down), so you see struggles on offense and more low scoring games (as opposed to last year). Sean Flannel and Floyd Bess running the ball are absolute beasts but they have some o line trouble in front of them. Surovik will get it straightened out and they have a good test this week like y'all said against bay city. I do believe the offense will come around and this team will eventually be as good or better than last years squad, but its gonna take more reps for the offense. Because of that, Wc isn't a top 10 team right now. But they will be when the offense gets through district. That top 10 ranking is based on last year and them being 4-0. Its a completely different team with new issues. The best sign is, this team is undefeated and shut out lagrange 29-0. A lot of upside yet to be seen IMO. About as honest as I can be.Good points Saggy. The Oline will be tested again this week as mentioned before. Bay City was my biggest non district concern heading into this season. Like Grant and Terry mentioned in the show, a win this week will say a lot as to where this team is.

Roughneck93
09-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Might have to make that oneCome on down!

Gsquared
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Come on down!

Pretty sure ill be there.

bobcat1
09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Nice show but now I'm skeered.:eek:

Gsquared
09-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice show but now I'm skeered.:eek:
Celina should NEVER be scared of anybody. Ive see the Bobcats slay many of dragons in my time!

bobcat1
09-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Celina should NEVER be scared of anybody. Ive see the Bobcats slay many of dragons in my time!They probably aren't but I am.