PDA

View Full Version : Columbia at Bay City

ExScoop
09-19-2011, 10:17 PM
It's homecoming for the Blackcats who beat Victoria West 12-7 last Friday with a TD with 37 seconds left-The Necks are coming off a big win over Houston Kashmere. Cats lost to Sweeny 30-28 to start the season and beat Houston Yates 12-6

Covered this game last year while working at the Bay City Tribune

Bay City's offense has sputtered over the past couple of week after losing a close one to Sweeny a couple of of weeks ago.

Blackcats use alternation quarterbacks in Derek Brown and Josh Irvin

Should be a good game but Necks will prevail

'Necks 2013-14
09-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll guess 31-13 'Necks.

SHSBulldog00
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
If BC sticks with Brown it will be more competitive. He is an game changer. The switch will continue. Necks spoil the Blackcat Homecoming. WC 42 BC 14.

Necked
09-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I think y'all are giving the Necks too many points. Its not realistic to expect the defense to keep scoring at the rate it has had so far. Actually, I dont care how many points they score, all I want to see is a few long, sustained drives. Kashmere ran around 70 plays, thats way too many, even against a good defense. If the oline can find some consistency I think it will help get the offense going, other than Flannel, who is pretty much the only one that has been consistent on offense so far this season...

SHSBulldog00
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
If Brown stays at QB I say Necks 28-20

Roughneck93
09-20-2011, 06:15 AM
I think y'all are giving the Necks too many points. Its not realistic to expect the defense to keep scoring at the rate it has had so far. Actually, I dont care how many points they score, all I want to see is a few long, sustained drives. Kashmere ran around 70 plays, thats way too many, even against a good defense. If the oline can find some consistency I think it will help get the offense going, other than Flannel, who is pretty much the only one that has been consistent on offense so far this season...:iagree:

Roughneck93
09-20-2011, 06:19 AM
If Brown stays at QB I say Necks 28-20This is the type of score I'm expecting. Maybe even something like 24-17. Derek Brown gave us problems last year until he was injured. I know he's been spitting snaps at QB but I expect him under center full time against us.

Roughneck93
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Game preview courtesy of The Facts.

PEAKING AROUND THE CORNER: Still not firing on all cylinders, Columbia faces test in Bay City
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:00 am
By Joel Luna
WEST COLUMBIA — In a series that is pretty lopsided, in Bay City's favor, the Columbia Roughnecks will try to keep their undefeated record intact in the 67th meeting against the Blackcats.The Blackcats have dominated the series with a 50-16 advantage entering the game at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Bay City.
"Right now, it is a wonderful feeling to be 4-0, but I am hoping we put everything together to play a complete game on both sides of the ball," Columbia coach Leland Surovik said. "I'd like to see us peak at the right time, especially during district play."

The Roughnecks are holding on to the No. 10 rank in Class 3A, but will face dangerous Bay City (2-1).

"I'm not a fan of statistics or polls because I am a firm believer of results," Surovik said. "But after last week, where we had to adapt and overcome a ton of penalties, at times we lost our focus last week. We have to understand that there are a lot of good teams in this area, and we have to be prepared each week."

Surovik was talking about his Columbia team barely escaping with a 34-26 win against Houston Kashmere, where at one point the 'Necks led 26-0.

"For us, it was just a lack of concentration and silly mistakes. "We cannot do those things, I mean four turnovers and 15 penalties," he said."

Despite those mishaps, the Columbia offense (327 yards per game) and defense (252 yards allowed) are the best in District 29-3A, statistically.

Sean Flannel leads the district with 475 rushing yards, seven touchdowns and is averaging 8.33 yards a carry. Only Sweeny's Gary Woodard (8.96) has a higher per-average carry.

Quarterback Tyler Ince still has the most passing yards in the district with 352, but he has thrown just two touchdowns and three interceptions.

Wide receivers Keenan Brown (eight catches, 132 yards) and Broderick Thomas (seven catches, 74 yards) have racked up more than half of those passing yards by Ince.

The Roughneck defense has 10 interceptions so far, and Treylon Johnican has four of them. Columbia has recovered six of nine fumbles by the opposition.

"I know this team is going into Bay City to try to win this game because we are trying to build on this team," Surovik said. "We still have to figure out our offensive and defensive line woes that we've had. So there is always something that we are going to work on, and this week is no different."

With 29 seniors on board, the Blackcats will be looking to continue their success in the series.

So far this season, they are relying on the pass.

Quarterback Derek Brown has passed for 354 yards and a touchdown on 26 completions. Brown's favortie targets are Dennis Martin (nine catches, 122 yards, touchdown) and Courtney Finney (eight catches, 92 yards).

"I know their quarterback is tall and real fast and kind of reminds me of what we faced last week against Kashmere," Surovik said. "They (Kashmere) had a good quarterback who could run like the wind and receiver. So I know this week we will be facing something similar but with a different style."

The Roughnecks are pretty healthy headed into Bay City.

Columbia won last year's encounter, 22-13.

Joel Luna is the sports editor for The Facts. Contact him at 979-237-0160.
http://thefacts.com/sports/article_318ce6ba-e4cf-11e0-8208-001cc4c03286.html?success=1

NECKS_17
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Treylon Johnican Intercepts 12 of 13 passes, kicks 32 field goals, scores 10 touchdowns on offense, returns 5 punts for a td, and runs back the opening kickoff for a td.. and kicks off in the second half and catches his own kick in the endzone for a td.. WC 299 bay city 0..

4x100jackets
09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Bay City will not win another game this yr, ok maybe one..........Victoria's DC or Secondary coach would have got an @$$ chewing for not being in some type of prevent defense with 36 sec left in the game...Rule #1 in Secondary is not to get beat deep....How do you let someone behind you with the game on the line is just Stupid to me.....Brown is a great Athlete you take him away Bay City might score 6 pts per game. He is like the Vick for the Eagles, I say Columbia by 14 pts and Bay City Season record 2-8 or 3-7 at best......maybe beat Foster.................

Later

baseballcoach13
09-23-2011, 08:33 AM
I heard that Ryan's Steakhouse is bringing a mobile buffett unit to the coaches office before the game so they may be a little sluggish. If that is true, the Necks will win by 23. If that rumor is false, the coaches will be hungry and mad, especially Pancho. No buffet, and the Necks will be out for blood, Necks by 57.

msu97
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
that is so true... I heard that CiCi's is on back up...

baseballcoach13
09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
No, Cici's said they weren't to take a hit like that with the economy like it is. They knew they'd lose money on that deal.