PDA

View Full Version : objective coldspring perspective....

trojandad
09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
now that g2 has seen our group, i thought itd be good to hear his unbiased view of our team this year...

OldNavy
09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
now that g2 has seen our group, i thought itd be good to hear his unbiased view of our team this year...

Unbiased? Not if you didn't comp his nachos and beer! And, he obviously didn't sit on your side of the field.

trojandad
09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Unbiased? Not if you didn't comp his nachos and beer! And, he obviously didn't sit on your side of the field.

hey, i didnt obscond his ribs from floridas, thats as "comp" as i get....lol

Tejastrue
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I guess G2 wasn't impressed TD...:D

Txbroadcaster
09-19-2011, 08:15 PM

HE is saving his thoughts for the show

trojandad
09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

i wished i had a video camera on him when sykes returned an int 105 yds...after he picked it, he backed up 3 different times to get a running start...my wife is screaming "hes gonna step over the backline!!!"...then he finally finds a hole and g2 is yelling "can you believe it??...can you believe it??" while standing as he ran up the sideline...(my info has sykes for at least one pick every game this year so far)....was fun watching him see our guys, i think he was more impressed at the soph running backs we have as anything, he kept repeating and repeating that...was a good night....

Txbroadcaster
09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
i wished i had a video camera on him when sykes returned an int 105 yds...after he picked it, he backed up 3 different times to get a running start...my wife is screaming "hes gonna step over the backline!!!"...then he finally finds a hole and g2 is yelling "can you believe it??...can you believe it??" while standing as he ran up the sideline...(my info has sykes for at least one pick every game this year so far)....was fun watching him see our guys, i think he was more impressed at the soph running backs we have as anything, he kept repeating and repeating that...was a good night....

Let me ask you...This team better at this point in your view than last year?

trojandad
09-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Let me ask you...This team better at this point in your view than last year?

1) the defense is by far better at this point than last year, the defense, in my view, is actually better than the offense is right now...

2) our qb is getting more game time passing practice than he did last year with 2 - 2,000+ rushers in the backfield...our 1st score against orangefield last fri was a pass to gilbert out of the backfield for a td with :12 expired off the clock....he also hit gilbert twice in the hands in full stride of at least 50 yds on the throw each time only to have it dropped....im not worried about gilbert that way, he was a full time receiver his first year as a soph so i believe hell be ok on getting more passes...

3) until gilberts 150+ yds on fri, he wasnt our leading rusher, it was colton monroe, the kid that had such a good game against wimberley last year in the 2nd half, wimbo pro remembers him...its as obvious as anything that barbay is saving gilbert for what he hopes to be a 16 game stretch...gilbert has had as few as 10 carries and at most 17 carries per game...barbay is running colton and a soph, johnson, many times and they are both around the 8 yd/carry....

the one thing that bothers me most is the lack of serious competition this year as opposed to last year during the regular season...k'ville and crockett were both way down and this orangefield team only suited like 28 guys and burned out bad at the end, they looked nothing like the team that rebounded last yr and almost snuck into the playoffs from 21 3a....in our district liberty has a good qb and huffman has a good system for their new qb, but im really concerned about the lack of a lot of competition....last year when k'ville beat us in the 1st game as they did, i knew the 2 scores they beat us by were from short field fumbles, it was easy to see with no gilbert or cummings and a soph qb that we were gonna do lots of improving, even if it appeared to most on the board that we were jusst a team that lost by 14....this year we havent had that sharp stone to test ourselves against yet, i worry if that sharp stone turns out, again, to be wo-s in the 1st round again....

Txbroadcaster
09-19-2011, 09:22 PM
1) the defense is by far better at this point than last year, the defense, in my view, is actually better than the offense is right now...

2) our qb is getting more game time passing practice than he did last year with 2 - 2,000+ rushers in the backfield...our 1st score against orangefield last fri was a pass to gilbert out of the backfield for a td with :12 expired off the clock....he also hit gilbert twice in the hands in full stride of at least 50 yds on the throw each time only to have it dropped....im not worried about gilbert that way, he was a full time receiver his first year as a soph so i believe hell be ok on getting more passes...

3) until gilberts 150+ yds on fri, he wasnt our leading rusher, it was colton monroe, the kid that had such a good game against wimberley last year in the 2nd half, wimbo pro remembers him...its as obvious as anything that barbay is saving gilbert for what he hopes to be a 16 game stretch...gilbert has had as few as 10 carries and at most 17 carries per game...barbay is running colton and a soph, johnson, many times and they are both around the 8 yd/carry....

the one thing that bothers me most is the lack of serious competition this year as opposed to last year during the regular season...k'ville and crockett were both way down and this orangefield team only suited like 28 guys and burned out bad at the end, they looked nothing like the team that rebounded last yr and almost snuck into the playoffs from 21 3a....in our district liberty has a good qb and huffman has a good system for their new qb, but im really concerned about the lack of a lot of competition....last year when k'ville beat us in the 1st game as they did, i knew the 2 scores they beat us by were from short field fumbles, it was easy to see with no gilbert or cummings and a soph qb that we were gonna do lots of improving, even if it appeared to most on the board that we were jusst a team that lost by 14....this year we havent had that sharp stone to test ourselves against yet, i worry if that sharp stone turns out, again, to be wo-s in the 1st round again....

Great insight thanks..I agree about the competition..I think to an extent that hurt Bwood in Carthage game

Tejastrue
09-19-2011, 09:28 PM

HE is saving his thoughts for the show

Good, I'll make sure to listen.

Trojandad, you know I was just messin with you...:)

trojandad
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Trojandad, you know I was just messin with you...:)

absolutely, were good....are you gonna get to come over for the wo-s - giddings game? i know its a pretty good treck, but.....

trojandad
09-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Great insight thanks..I agree about the competition..I think to an extent that hurt Bwood in Carthage game

i do, too...i also think it hurt wimberly against us, even though i know the cuero and sealy folks would disagree, and hurt us against carthage....if we had gotten either of those last second halftime scores go our way against lorena we would have been playing carthage in the regional finals year before last, and that insight and experience would have helped the year after in playing them at state....

remember, we had to lose to wo-s by 30+ for 2 yrs in a row in the fist round before we finally got their number....that same thing would have, at the very least, helped against carthage as well....

ogg
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
i do, too...i also think it hurt wimberly against us, even though i know the cuero and sealy folks would disagree, and hurt us against carthage....if we had gotten either of those last second halftime scores go our way against lorena we would have been playing carthage in the regional finals year before last, and that insight and experience would have helped the year after in playing them at state....

remember, we had to lose to wo-s by 30+ for 2 yrs in a row in the fist round before we finally got their number....that same thing would have, at the very least, helped against carthage as well....

Understand your concern regarding weak regions and weighing in the Coldspring’s talent. I seem to always think of CC Calallen who through the decades pounded south Texas teams only to fall (and sometimes hard) with out of region teams. It is my feeling Coldspring is one of the front runners for the state title.
One good thing is your depth chart gets good practice in blowout wins and will be a big help this and next year.

Tejastrue
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
absolutely, were good....are you gonna get to come over for the wo-s - giddings game? i know its a pretty good treck, but.....

Traveling to Sealy and back the night before (bout a 4.5 hr round trip) but... I'll definitely give it some thought. That should be a good one.

trojandad
09-20-2011, 06:28 AM
One good thing is your depth chart gets good practice in blowout wins and will be a big help this and next year.

your right, we have two soph backs that are gettin lots of reps this way, for sure.....

trojandad
09-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Traveling to Sealy and back the night before (bout a 4.5 hr round trip) but... I'll definitely give it some thought. That should be a good one.

i forgot that game was at sealy...thats a haul, for sure....

Gsquared
09-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Just now seeing this post TD! Definatly gonna be fun to talk some Coldspring tonight!

trojandad
09-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Just now seeing this post TD! Definatly gonna be fun to talk some Coldspring tonight!

well you gotta post what your thoughts were afterward, sir, cause i wont be at a place where i can listen.....

trojandad
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
well you gotta post what your thoughts were afterward, sir, cause i wont be at a place where i can listen.....

ok, made it back....somebody please fill me in on what was said about us tonight.....

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 08:31 PM

Listen whenever u can! show is up all week http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=984&AdminPreview=1&co_si_key=984

trojandad
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
well crap, wasted my time opening this thread....llol

wimbo_pro
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I think there is a more-than-decent chance that we will meet up with Coldspring again this year. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Sportshack
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Wow...if your defense is better than last year and you still got the Gilbert kid....that is going to be one formidable team. Will definitely be one of last teams standing IMHO. I thought that defense was really the strength of your team last year, especially when the offense could mix in those explosive plays.

trojandad
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow...if your defense is better than last year and you still got the Gilbert kid....that is going to be one formidable team. Will definitely be one of last teams standing IMHO. I thought that defense was really the strength of your team last year, especially when the offense could mix in those explosive plays.

barbay told the chronicle when the season started that he believed his team this year would be defined by their defense, so he was sold on it back then...but these 2 soph rbs are averaging 10 yd/carry so far this year, so they are doing good at giving gilbert a break....plus gilbert has been running the wildcat out of the qb position as well....

and im tellin you, wimbopro, we got lucky catchin you guys when we did, the stars were aligned for us....its not like wed be facing chopped liver if we faced you guys again....i bet the winner would have a better shot at the next round tho...