PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 4 GotW: WO-S Vs. Giddings

WOS1
09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Thoughts?

Buff42
09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to a great game at a good venue against an awesome opponent. Did I cover everything?

1st and goal
09-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Looking forward to a great game at a good venue against an awesome opponent. Did I cover everything?
+1

I think the Buff's loss to Elgin should have them ready to get back in the W column. For those not aware of our game against Elgin, It was a nailbiter with numerous lead changes. In the 4th quarter, the Buffs were down 23-14. They came from behind and scored twice, making it 23-29. Elgin drove 67 yds in just over 1 minute to take the lead 30-29. The wildcats scored with 9 seconds left giving us a "heartbreaking" loss. I'm impressed with Elgin's new coach. Good play calling and the 1st time I've ever watched them play disciplined ball. They have loads of speed and talent.

WOS1
09-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Sounds similar to our losses. We've lost 2 games by one point each... We were up on Friendswood in the second OT by 7 and had them 3rd and 10 from the 25 yd line. They threw to the endzone and our safety made a bueatiful play on the ball and batted it away. Unfortunately, he slapped it right into the hands of another Friendswood reciever that was in the endzone as well. They went for 2 for the win and made it.

Against Nederland, we had them down 20-6 in the 4th and they were beneficiaries of some close calls, made 3 big plays and scored late on one of those. They also went for 2 for the win and made it with less than 30 seconds left. Both of our losses, we outgained our opponents by close to 100 yds.

Against Jasper, we finally played a compete game and really dominated a pretty solid team.

regaleagle
09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Sounds to me like WOS is the real deal. Those are worthy opponents you lost to. Tighten up some of those mental mistakes, and this team could be a formidable regional team. Sometimes, losses like that can ignite a team for the rest of the season.

pirate4state
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
I can't wait! WOO HOO!! Looking forward to playoff atmosphere type game!

1st and goal
09-19-2011, 09:49 AM
This will be a great game. WOS has a huge group of dedicated fans that will travel. So does Giddings.

I was shocked when I didn't see WOS in theoldcoach top 25 this week??? Was this an accidental oversight?

I totally respect WOS for taking on a tough preseason lineup.

WOS1
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't pay any mind to rankings, that's why you never see me post on them. I've seen some of our teams ranked high in every poll and they not amount to anything. Sometimes, it's a little better to stay under the radar. For the kids, it's better they have something to work for than to start thinking the are to good to early. That's been our problem with getting past the 2nd or 3rd round. We look real good out of the gate, then fail to improve late.

buff4ever
09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
This should be a good game I would expect. Both teams have 1 point losses to 4a teams and have dominated others. Both teams are playoff teams that expect to win every game they play. Someone always has to lose. I expect it will be a close game. Should be interesting. Will be a good game for both teams, no matter the outcome.

Yoe_09
09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
1. WO-S(1-2):
Nederland L 22-21
Friendswood L 32-31
Jasper W 37-13

2. Giddings(3-1):
Burnet W 35-19
Royal W 45-3
La Vernia W 45-7
Elgin L 30-29

Thoughts on this game?

Yoe_09
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
ttt.

buff4ever
09-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I expect both teams will score in the 20's and it will come down to the end.

WOS1
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Is Giddings still running the Wing-T? I know Toby Foreman, who was a finalist for that job last Spring, said they were wanting to go to the Spread or a more balanced type of offense. I also saw that they have not had many passing yards per game until this last game where they threw for more yards than they did in the first 3 games combined.

1st and goal
09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Mostly spread. I think Coach Jones will pull out the pass when he thinks opponents D is too aggressive in the box.

GUNHO
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
This game is going to be a little different than in the past.We are use to giddings running the ball and hardly ever throw.WO-S will run the ball more and mix only a few passes.Giddings balanced attack will be harder to defend.I also think the winner will have to be in the upper 20s score wise.For us to win we will have to cut down on the mistakes that has been a large part of our two 1 point losses.Can't give you guys much are you will bury us.

gtownfan
09-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Giddings is the home team in this one, right?

regaleagle
09-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes, will that matter in this game if Stark brings a large contingent?

gtownfan
09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, will that matter in this game if Stark brings a large contingent?

Neutral field? Not at all.

Just wanted to know what side to park/sit on.

I'm sure Stark will bring a big crowd. I think the Giddings crowd won't be huge, since A&M is playing the same afternoon and got a lot of people that are heading to that.

1st and goal
09-21-2011, 08:45 PM
This game is going to be a little different than in the past.We are use to giddings running the ball and hardly ever throw.WO-S will run the ball more and mix only a few passes.Giddings balanced attack will be harder to defend.I also think the winner will have to be in the upper 20s score wise.For us to win we will have to cut down on the mistakes that has been a large part of our two 1 point losses.Can't give you guys much are you will bury us.

I think mistakes will be the determining factor. I believe these teams are both talented. Unfortunately, even if the score is close, the winner will get all the kudos and the loser will drop in the polls....there is a good chance we might see each other in the playoffs as history repeats.

Hope the game isn't determined by a disputed call by the officials at the end like Wimberley/Sealy...I saw Coach Jones livid after a "non-call" that should've been called for holding that happened right in front of him. It was blatant. I could probably Youtube it, I just don't have the time to jack with my video recorder. I was glad to see him fired up.
Will this game be on the internet?

Buff42
09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I can't wait! WOO HOO!! Looking forward to playoff atmosphere type game!

+1 :)

Buff42
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Neutral field? Not at all.

Just wanted to know what side to park/sit on.

I'm sure Stark will bring a big crowd. I think the Giddings crowd won't be huge, since A&M is playing the same afternoon and got a lot of people that are heading to that.

I beg to differ. I know of at least ONE charter bus for Dirty G fans. And, btw, some buddies and yours truly are road tripping to Nac Friday night to watch Fitz's Pirates ball vs the Dragons, then coming back for Gid-WOS Saturday. GTOWN crowd will be large and LOUD.

gtownfan
09-22-2011, 07:10 AM
I hope I'm wrong!

GUNHO
09-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I think mistakes will be the determining factor. I believe these teams are both talented. Unfortunately, even if the score is close, the winner will get all the kudos and the loser will drop in the polls....there is a good chance we might see each other in the playoffs as history repeats.

Hope the game isn't determined by a disputed call by the officials at the end like Wimberley/Sealy...I saw Coach Jones livid after a "non-call" that should've been called for holding that happened right in front of him. It was blatant. I could probably Youtube it, I just don't have the time to jack with my video recorder. I was glad to see him fired up.
Will this game be on the internet?

Yeah,bad calls or no calls are hard to take.In our game with Jasper flags were flying everywhere.Some good calls some bad for both sides.Some say calls don't determind the outcome of the game but this is not my position.Granted some calls don't but some can in close games.
After you guys it will be pretty much clear sailing the rest of the season with the exception of BC and Silsbee but we should win both of those.I don't look for us to get back in the top ten even if we win Saturday which is fine with me.You know the saying...It's how you finish not how you start that matters.

1st and goal
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah,bad calls or no calls are hard to take.In our game with Jasper flags were flying everywhere.Some good calls some bad for both sides.Some say calls don't determind the outcome of the game but this is not my position.Granted some calls don't but some can in close games.
After you guys it will be pretty much clear sailing the rest of the season with the exception of BC and Silsbee but we should win both of those.I don't look for us to get back in the top ten even if we win Saturday which is fine with me.You know the saying...It's how you finish not how you start that matters.
I think given your team's preseason schedule, and knowing the particulars of each loss, that you all should be at least in the top 15. But polls don't mean nuttin when it comes to playoffs. U R Right!

1st and goal
09-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I watched last weeks game (1st half only) and I really liked how Coach Jones mixed it up on offense. He'd see the Elgin D keying in on 1 player and do some razzle dazzle fake to that player only to let one of our other talents carry the ball. Elgin's D impressed me, tackling 1 on 1, hitting ball carrier low, staying put on assignments. We got our yards, they just had a spectacular last minute drive to win it.

I think Giddings should win by a low margin.

WOS1
09-22-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the WOS defense is going to surprise some people.

trojandad
09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I think the WOS defense is going to surprise some people.

i personally am much more concerned about the mustangs defense than their offense, for sure....

wos1, any chance that wos87 is one of your posse in tow?!?!

1st and goal
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I think there is a bit of apprehensive trepidation here as both sides want their teams to win badly, but know the other team isn't going to hand it to them on a silver platter.

For those that don't know, WOS has been a road block to the championship for many a team in Region III. Back when we were in Region III (3 years ago I think?), I think I remember the last 3 years coming up against WOS and only winning 1 of the 3. (Correct me if I'm wrong...I got CRS) I guess I'm trying to say they are a perennial force to be reckoned with. I'm pretty sure both teams came away from those games licking their wounds. Some of the Buffs fans were glad to be put in Region IV (so we didn't have to play WOS). But now that we are back in R3, we are pretty healthy, have a diverse offense, and hungry. Let the game begin!!!

WOS1
09-22-2011, 09:44 PM
TD unfortunately not. I'm not even real sure who he is, bro.

WOS1
09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I think there is a bit of apprehensive trepidation here as both sides want their teams to win badly, but know the other team isn't going to hand it to them on a silver platter.

For those that don't know, WOS has been a road block to the championship for many a team in Region III. Back when we were in Region III (3 years ago I think?), I think I remember the last 3 years coming up against WOS and only winning 1 of the 3. (Correct me if I'm wrong...I got CRS) I guess I'm trying to say they are a perennial force to be reckoned with. I'm pretty sure both teams came away from those games licking their wounds. Some of the Buffs fans were glad to be put in Region IV (so we didn't have to play WOS). But now that we are back in R3, we are pretty healthy, have a diverse offense, and hungry. Let the game begin!!!

You are correct. We met in 2005 in the Regional Finals which WOS won. The next year, WOS was a top most polls and Giddings won the 2nd round game. Then in 2007, Giddings was ranked 1 in most polls and WOS won, It was also a 2nd round game.

trojandad
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
TD unfortunately not. I'm not even real sure who he is, bro.

thats ok, he has my number if he comes....i sure look forward to shaking your hand after all the missed opportunities the last few years.....

WOS1
09-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Me too! Will be good to put a face to a screen name.

trojandad
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Me too! Will be good to put a face to a screen name.

i dont know, this face will make one run for cover....:ack!:

WOS1
09-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Not a chance...

Paratrooper
09-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Giddings by 14

griff
09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Wishful thinking is not a good way to make predictions, BC Paratrooper.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 10:50 AM
:(
I'm not going to be able to make the game. Anyone know if 92.3 fm is carrying it? Or, is it on the internet?

griff
09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
You can hear it on the Orange station at kogt.com.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 04:14 PM
You can hear it on the Orange station at kogt.com.
Thanks.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
WOS scores their 2nd field goal just as time runs out at the half. Buffs 7, WOS 6
Nailbiter.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
WOS has been getting great field position, but can't punch it in. Missed out on 2 opportunities. Giddings just passed for a long touchdown pass. Buffs 14- WOS 6

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
WOS D had kept Buff's O ineffective. 1st half, Buffs only had like 31 yards.

6:21 left in the game, Buffs clinging to 14-6 lead. Buffs D has stepped up and played lights out in the Red Zone, but has given WOS plenty of yards. WOS has the ball and is driving.
1st down, on the 48 yd line

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Wos, 2 quick passes and they are down to the 28 yd line.

Pass thrown out of the endzone, flag, defensive holding. Mustangs get ball on 18

Run play to the 13, FUMBLE.....Buffs recover!!! I'm out of fingernails.

lbjacj
09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
WOS stalls in red zone again!

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
2nd and 9 from the 13 yd ln.
Mustangs tackle for loss to the 7.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:11 PM
timeout WOS. 3:46 left. 1 TO left for Mustangs.
3rd and 15, ball on 7. Incomplete pass.
4th and 15. Clock stopped.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Culvert returns punt to 8 yd line. 3:27 left

Good tackle by Buffs, no gain.

2 and goal. 3.06 left

run to the 3, 2.45 left

3rd and goal

run, nothing doing. lose a yard

4th and 4, 1.50 left

pass...incomplete, overthrown.

Buffs take over on downs on 4 yd line.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Glen to the left side, no gain.

2nd and 10. 1.36 left, TO Mustangs.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
How many times have Mustangs come up shy of TD after getting in the Red zone??? I think like 4 or more???

TO Buffs.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Mustangs need a miracle.

Glenn again for no gain.

3rd and 11, Mustangs out of timeouts.

Buffs QB scrambled almost a safety....but not. Buffs will punt.

Buffs took a delay penalty. Ball inside 1 yd line.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:23 PM
7 seconds left to play, TO Buffs. Buffs might take a safety?

Renfro ready to return, punt formation for Buffs, punts to the 30, Renfro runs out of bounds at 30 yd line but time ran out.

Buffs win. Tough game for both offenses.

Good win Buffs, sounds like the Buffalo defense deserves a game ball to me.

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
My hat is off to the KOGT announcers. 2 of the best I've heard for high school football.

Good game WOS, might see y'all in the playoffs. Hang tough!

1st and goal
09-24-2011, 08:30 PM
WOS D held Giddings to no gain (or loss) for 19 plays.

Roughneck93
09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like this was great game! Congrats to Giddings on the win.

WOS1
09-25-2011, 01:16 AM
6 trips into the Redzone= 0 TD's... Can't win games like that.

My hats off to the Buffs defense for bending but not breaking. WOS had 349 yds and 16 FD's to the Buffs 142 yds and 6 FD's. Each of our losses have been like this. But... Stats are for losers...

Maybe, we will see each other again. I'd bet our offense looks diferent if we do. I hear major changes are coming. There is a certain Freshman I sure hope gets his shot.

Great game Buffs!

Paratrooper
09-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Wishful thinking is not a good way to make predictions, BC Paratrooper.

Man, I guess that wishful thinking actually works huh?........lol

griff
09-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Oh, yeah! You're a Harvard genuis now. How did you do it? I want to know your secret. So, do you really just pick a team to lose out of no other reason but spite and hope you're right? I gotta try that. If I follow your method, then BC should beat WO-S by 4 TD's, right? You gotta try your luck in Vegas, man!

griff
09-25-2011, 08:24 AM

My hats off to the Buffs defense for bending but not breaking. WOS had 349 yds and 16 FD's to the Buffs 142 yds and 6 FD's. Each of our losses have been like this. But... Stats are for losers...

Maybe, we will see each other again. I'd bet our offense looks diferent if we do. I hear major changes are coming. There is a certain Freshman I sure hope gets his shot.

Great game Buffs!
WOS1, as to "major changes are coming", I hope you're right about the player you're referring to. I wouldn't expect THAT, but I'll gladly be wrong about it. At the very least, significant adjustments have to be made on offense. We should be 4-0 right now, but if we were, it might give a false sense of security in facing the issues we still have. Our 1-3 record should make our coaching staff and team do necessary things that they otherwise would not at 4-0.

griff
09-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Some of the WO-S crew were at the scoreboard during halftime, but no one else showed up for a M&G. Where was everyone? 'Would've been nice to shake hands with some of you. Hopefully, we'll see Giddings again in a playoff game and get another opportunity to meet more 3adl-ers.

hookandladder
09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Renfro ready to return, punt formation for Buffs, punts to the 30, Renfro runs out of bounds at 30 yd line but time ran out.

(Tough game for both offenses) WOS had over 300 yards on offense compared to Giddings 144, looks like one offense struggled and only had 4 first downs also.

1st and goal
09-25-2011, 09:03 AM
(Tough game for both offenses) WOS had over 300 yards on offense compared to Giddings 144, looks like one offense struggled and only had 4 first downs also.

Read post #42

Buff42
09-25-2011, 11:04 AM

IMO a safety would have been a HORRIBLE play call. A fumble recovered in the end zone with a 2 point conversion ties the game AND we then have to kick to WOS. too much downside- punting was the better choice by that time. Of course, getting a first down would have been even better.

Buff42
09-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Great game Buffs!

I was very impressed with the whole WOS gang- team, coaching staff, band, fans, etc. Great game with a little bit of playoff feel. I wish y'all well this season, but not sure I would want to have to face you in the playoffs (it's too hard to beat a team twice in one season). Best of luck!

hookandladder
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Read post #42

Read it, still same thing. WOS offense moved the ball and Giddings did not, 19 negative plays for Giddings offense . WOS had the ball in the red zone 7 times, bottom line you have to punch it in.Same thing happened to us against Sealy , we score in the red zone and we had a chance to win.

regaleagle
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow!! Is the Buffs D that good, or did Stark have some kind of wierd 'mojo' going against them all night?? If I were a WOS fan, I wouldn't know how t feel after this one. Losing because of mistakes, or because you got beat all over the field, is easy to understand. But this kind of loss is hard to swallow, and puts questions in the minds of the entire offense, esp. the qb and rbs. Congrats to Giddings for playing such tough D the entire game. Wow!!

trojandad
09-25-2011, 12:58 PM
thats just it, it doesnt sound like giddings played "such tough d the entire game", but only when it counted....congrats to both teams....

WOS1
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow!! Is the Buffs D that good, or did Stark have some kind of wierd 'mojo' going against them all night?? If I were a WOS fan, I wouldn't know how t feel after this one. Losing because of mistakes, or because you got beat all over the field, is easy to understand. But this kind of loss is hard to swallow, and puts questions in the minds of the entire offense, esp. the qb and rbs. Congrats to Giddings for playing such tough D the entire game. Wow!!

regaleagle, you are more right than you realize. As I said before, this has been a common theme with this team and a "not so good" trend we are setting. But, we also have played some good competition. Hopefully, these tough losses will become wins soon.

Paratrooper
09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
regaleagle, you are more right than you realize. As I said before, this has been a common theme with this team and a "not so good" trend we are setting. But, we also have played some good competition. Hopefully, these tough losses will become wins soon.

WOS1 you guys will be good. You have Kville, HF, and OF coming up. I do agree with you; WOS has played a tough schedule. It might really do them some good to play a little less stiffer competition.

1st and goal
09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
IMO a safety would have been a HORRIBLE play call. A fumble recovered in the end zone with a 2 point conversion ties the game AND we then have to kick to WOS. too much downside- punting was the better choice by that time. Of course, getting a first down would have been even better.

Hey don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. Typing what the announcers were saying. they did call a TO. What if they would have blocked the punt being snapped from the 1 yd line? What if it had been mishandled and fumbled. A purposed safety is the QB running around the endzone evading tackles until eminent and just take a knee. Yes, he could've just took a quick knee and then punt giving them 1 chance with 7 seconds. Either way, a miracle play by WOS could've put 'em back in the game. Glad it didn't come to that.

1st and goal
09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Read it, still same thing. WOS offense moved the ball and Giddings did not, 19 negative plays for Giddings offense . WOS had the ball in the red zone 7 times, bottom line you have to punch it in.Same thing happened to us against Sealy , we score in the red zone and we had a chance to win.

That was post #53

hookandladder
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
That was post #53

You just do not get it, never mind. Giddings and WOS offenses were both off , in your mind I guess.,

1st and goal
09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
You just do not get it, never mind. Giddings and WOS offenses were both off , in your mind I guess.,

I guess if you're playing Yoakum, 6 points is enough to get a win. Nothing against Yoakum folk and their team. Just trying to make a point.

buff4ever
09-26-2011, 08:20 AM
I guess if you're playing Yoakum, 6 points is enough to get a win. Nothing against Yoakum folk and their team. Just trying to make a point.

Let hook go, he is still living the dream that LG is better than Giddings this year. 8 years of struggling in comparison to Giddings is getting hard for LG to swallow. This win was a great one for the buffs no matter how we got it, defense or breaks or whatever. WOS is a great football team, with lots of talent.

LG gets to see the buffs in a couple of weeks, and their only win will be against yoakum (6-0) who is not looking to hot either. We will rest up an prepare for this and be starting district off with a win.

ol country boy
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Good job Buffs

GUNHO
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Congrats Gidding on a hard fought win.Bottom line is you guys did what it took to win and wo-s didn't.Doesn't matter weather we had the right game plan or not...you stopped us in the red zone 5 or 6 times and my hats off to you.Maybe we see each other again down the road.This kind of game demands it.

WOS1
09-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I have said before that I would rather be 1-3 and know exactly what my teams strengths and weaknesses are than to be 4-0 and not know how good we really were. I have seen both and I can honestly say we have played a playoff caliber pre-district. We know what changes need to be made and I think Cornel Thompson will make them. Look out in the playoffs if we get this offense going because we definitely have a title caliber defense. I think the Giddings folks will attest to that.

1st and goal
09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Let hook go, he is still living the dream that LG is better than Giddings this year. 8 years of struggling in comparison to Giddings is getting hard for LG to swallow. This win was a great one for the buffs no matter how we got it, defense or breaks or whatever. WOS is a great football team, with lots of talent.

LG gets to see the buffs in a couple of weeks, and their only win will be against yoakum (6-0) who is not looking to hot either. We will rest up an prepare for this and be starting district off with a win.

I know, you read my mind. Hook, stop fishing. Save it for next week. You're gonna need all your strength for next week's thread.