PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on How Romo performs in the clutch

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Long but great insight

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3992_Tony_Romo%3A_Choke_Artist_or_Not%3F.html

This was part I thought interesting

Add it all up and Romo has a 10-18 (.357) record when he has the ball in a close game in the fourth quarter/overtime, so he doesn’t always find a way to lose these games, as evident by his 9 fourth quarter comebacks and 10 game-winning drives. In just comeback situations, his record is 9-17 (.346).

As we looked at Aaron Rodgers last week, Romo’s 10-18 record in close fourth quarter opportunities fits in neatly with the 21-35 (.375) record by Troy Aikman, the Dallas quarterback Romo is trying to fill the void for. It’s also close to the 45-75 (.375) record by Romo’s idol, Brett Favre. Romo was a Green Bay fan when Favre and the Packers repeatedly lost to Dallas in the 90s.

It’s also a better record than Aaron Rodgers’ 5-18 (.217) mark. Green Bay and Rodgers are the kings of front-running in today’s NFL, much like Aikman’s Cowboys were, yet no one notes Rodgers' inability to win close games. Winning Super Bowls on teams with dominant offenses and defenses is not a sign of being able to win close games, which is a big part of Romo’s criticism, and completely absent in Rodgers’.

GrTigers6
09-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Long but great insight

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3992_Tony_Romo%3A_Choke_Artist_or_Not%3F.html

This was part I thought interesting

Add it all up and Romo has a 10-18 (.357) record when he has the ball in a close game in the fourth quarter/overtime, so he doesn’t always find a way to lose these games, as evident by his 9 fourth quarter comebacks and 10 game-winning drives. In just comeback situations, his record is 9-17 (.346).

As we looked at Aaron Rodgers last week, Romo’s 10-18 record in close fourth quarter opportunities fits in neatly with the 21-35 (.375) record by Troy Aikman, the Dallas quarterback Romo is trying to fill the void for. It’s also close to the 45-75 (.375) record by Romo’s idol, Brett Favre. Romo was a Green Bay fan when Favre and the Packers repeatedly lost to Dallas in the 90s.

It’s also a better record than Aaron Rodgers’ 5-18 (.217) mark. Green Bay and Rodgers are the kings of front-running in today’s NFL, much like Aikman’s Cowboys were, yet no one notes Rodgers' inability to win close games. Winning Super Bowls on teams with dominant offenses and defenses is not a sign of being able to win close games, which is a big part of Romo’s criticism, and completely absent in Rodgers’.Thats what I am Talkin about!!!!!!!:D

Tejastrue
09-18-2011, 08:26 PM
The problem being his most recent history in which he was 0-5, now 1-5 in those situations. Still fresh in the doubters memory banks. Most fans look for the QB to be the savior of the franchise. 1 playoff win on his watch and the only one in the last 14 yrs. Fans have grown impatient and rightfully so. Cowboys have had a tendency to keep players way too long after their prime (excluding Romo) and are once again paying for it. This is a management problem. I have to say I like overall our coaching staff we have now. The first time I can say that in many years. Some of the play calling on offense, still gotta scratch your head on, but just maybe we'll get things turned around. Yes, Romo is our best option...

Farmersfan
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
The one thing about these stats are that they are being compared to Aaron Rogers and Philip Rivers. Neither of those players were considered great players until they became "great players". And once (or if) Romo proves everyone wrong then he too will become a great players. But to use Dirk as an example, people keep saying everyone was wrong about Dirk so they are wrong about Romo. The thing is they were not wrong about Dirk. The opinions of Dirk were based on Dirks history up to that point and until Dirk stepped it up in the playoffs and became a champion then people were exactly right about him. All great players become better in the playoffs and when going for the championship. So far that has not been the case with Romo. Could be in the future but that wouldn't prove anybody wrong.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Except favre, Rodgers and aikman all won super bowls...

I didn't read the article but your summary doesn't tell me anything other than Romo sucks in the clutch? And apparently so do these 3 other guys, even though those 3 have gotten it done and Romo hasnt?

Romo can win a close game against a terrible team like SF, but put him up against a good team (jets anyone?) and you see what happens.

Romo will win a few close ones here and there... But he's a choke artist in big games.

Macarthur
09-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Except favre, Rodgers and aikman all won super bowls...

I didn't read the article but your summary doesn't tell me anything other than Romo sucks in the clutch? And apparently so do these 3 other guys, even though those 3 have gotten it done and Romo hasnt?

Romo can win a close game against a terrible team like SF, but put him up against a good team (jets anyone?) and you see what happens.

Romo will win a few close ones here and there... But he's a choke artist in big games.

SF is not a terrible team. That team is a decent QB away from being a very good team.

Macarthur
09-19-2011, 09:28 AM
This is the crap I've been talking about. Those that will never give Romo credit either ignore the facts when they don't support their position or they simply move the goalposts.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
This is the crap I've been talking about. Those that will never give Romo credit either ignore the facts when they don't support their position or they simply move the goalposts. 10-18 in 'close games' and 1-3 in the playoffs? Facts?

Macarthur
09-19-2011, 09:44 AM
10-18 in 'close games' and 1-3 in the playoffs? Facts?

Did you not even read the article? Those are facts, yes. But if you will actually read the article they prove that he is right in the same range as other great QBs. Good grief. I second my comment above. Igonre the facts and then move the goal post.

Emerson1
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Did you not even read the article? Those are facts, yes. But if you will actually read the article they prove that he is right in the same range as other great QBs. Good grief. I second my comment above. Igonre the facts and then move the goal post.
Don't bother. Farmersfan is delusional and saggy is just trolling.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Did you not even read the article? Those are facts, yes. But if you will actually read the article they prove that he is right in the same range as other great QBs. Good grief. I second my comment above. Igonre the facts and then move the goal post. yeah they showed that he sucks equally bad in 'close games.' Good job.

And the other fact you're neglecting is you can try and compare Romo #s wise, but no matter what absurd stats you come up with to try and defend him... Those guys he's 'in the same category with' have all gotten it done and Tony homo hasn't. :)

Emerson1
09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
NFC Wild Card at Seattle (L 21-20) – Romo had a 3rd-and-7 at Seattle’s 8, in which he hit Jason Witten with a good pass (middle), and it was originally ruled a first down. Dallas had a chance to score the winning touchdown. On further review, Witten was short, and the field goal unit came out. Cue Romo’s bobbled hold, and then he was tackled short of the end zone (bottom). He would later get a Hail Mary attempt on the last play, but it was incomplete in the end zone.

If Witten can break a tackle, the cowboys win the game. I guess he was debating his future and didn't want to get injured :rolleyes: