PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys @ 49 ers

Pages : 1 [2]

Eagle 1
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
in 2007 first game of season Romo completes 15-24 245 yards 4 TDS 128 rating

2008 Romo goes 24-32 1 TD 103 rating

2009 Romo goes 16-27 3 TDs 140 QB rating

2010 his worse game starting the season yet still goes 31-47 282 yards 1 TD 90 rating

Those stats dont show a QB who has not practiced enough or is not prepared thru the off season and training camp

His Sept stats in career..4700 yards 31 TD 13 ints 63% completion 100 rating

The thing about those 13 ints (which I find hard to believe there is only 13) is that they come at the most un-opportune time in the game. Like late in the 4th qt when the game is on the line.
None the less, an incomplete pass is just as fatal at times.
I agree with Farmer, you hear more about qb/wr timing issues with Romo than any other qb in the league.

Macarthur
09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
The thing about those 13 ints (which I find hard to believe there is only 13) is that they come at the most un-opportune time in the game. Like late in the 4th qt when the game is on the line.
None the less, an incomplete pass is just as fatal at times.
I agree with Farmer, you hear more about qb/wr timing issues with Romo than any other qb in the league.

You THINK they come at the most unopportune times, but he numbers don't bear that out. That the problem with the irrational Romo hate. It's not based on the actual numbers.

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
You THINK they come at the most unopportune times, but he numbers don't bear that out. That the problem with the irrational Romo hate. It's not based on the actual numbers.

Sad thing about this on going discussion...IF Patrick Crayton makes even just one of his two epic failure plays agianst the Giants in that play off game I dont think we are having this discussion..just shows the QB good or bad cannot do it all

Macarthur
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Many times, the QB is in the ultimate no win situation. It is a roster with 53 players. He doesn't play defense or special teams yet the QB probably has the most impact on his teams ability to win or lose. There have been very very few individuals that could basically do it all themselves. One could argue that Manning and Brady have been the one's most recently that took otherwise average talent to a SB. But most of the greats had to have something around them. Aikman needed Irvin and Emmitt. Montana had Rice.

The reality is that you have to have a good QB to win it, but you have to have other pieces. Keep in mind, Aikman will be the first to say that what put them over the edge was getting Haley for the defense. I think if you put Romo in Pitt, and they win at least as many as Ben has won. I think if you give him Bill Belicheck running the defense, he wins a SB.

One thing many folks fail to mention is that during Romo's time here, he's had one of the worst Head Coaches in the league. Wade was a good DC but a lousy HC. He's also been saddled with attrocious special teams play. The last few years, this thing has pretty much rested 100% on his shoulders.

forum_guy
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
oh wow Dallas came back against THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS. Im a 49er fan and it didnt matter who was playing qb for dallas the 9er defense couldnt stop a nosebleed(Bart Scott reference lol). Lets give Tony props but at the same time keep it all in context.

forum_guy
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
IMO we should already be talking about the MNF game coming up. I think Washington is going to hang tough until the end and maybe get a W.

Macarthur
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
oh wow Dallas came back against THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS. Im a 49er fan and it didnt matter who was playing qb for dallas the 9er defense couldnt stop a nosebleed(Bart Scott reference lol). Lets give Tony props but at the same time keep it all in context.

The 49ers aren't that far off. Their front 7 is very formidable. You have problems at DB and QB. If you guys can fix those two, you have some promise on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Macarthur
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
IMO we should already be talking about the MNF game coming up. I think Washington is going to hang tough until the end and maybe get a W.

The games with Wash are always close, even the years the skins have been terrible. Wash plays solid defense and Grossman is playing well at this point. I still think Grossman is a joke, but he has gotten on decent streaks in his career. I don't think they can sustain for 16 games, but I would not be surprised at all if Wash wins this game.

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
True, but then again, the Cowboys wouldnt have been in position to beat the Jets if Tony Romo didnt have the game he had. Funny how that blocked punt gets forgotten so easily.

BEAST

3 quarters of greatness followed by a complete and utter collapse by Tony. It's not a very popular way to think but IMHO Tony Romo is paid 12million a year to play like he did in the first 3 quarters, not the 4th. The 4th quarter is a issue and his performance before that does nothing to soften the horrible play in the 4th. We aren't talking about High School players that should be patted on the back and praised every time they do something good. We aren't talking about college players where their good plays are balanced against their bad plays and if the good outweight the bad then we have success. This is the NFL and the paycheck is their praise! I think we certainly have a right to expect the good play and we have the right to condemn the bad play.

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
This is the NFL and the paycheck is their praise! I think we certainly have a right to expect the good play and we have the right to condemn the bad play.

LOL great first line

and your right..the problem has become that Romo gets the blame when he plays bad as he should..but every good thing he does the haters do things like you did where you basically try to disqualify it..

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Sad thing about this on going discussion...IF Patrick Crayton makes even just one of his two epic failure plays agianst the Giants in that play off game I dont think we are having this discussion..just shows the QB good or bad cannot do it all

And where is Patrick Crayton right now?

And yet by your same logic if Romo completes just two more big passes in that same game maybe we aren't having this discussion either. Patrick Crayton failed on two attempts but Romo failed on 18 attempts. (for one reason or another) In that game Romo completed only 50% of his passes for only 201 yards with 1 TD and 1 int. Those are very average numbers no matter the circumstances. All QBs have receivers drop passes! All QBs have O-lines that miss assignments! All QBs have RBs miss blitz pickups! Its all part of the game and the good QBs overcome it. In Dallas its an excuse.

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
LOL great first line

and your right..the problem has become that Romo gets the blame when he plays bad as he should..but every good thing he does the haters do things like you did where you basically try to disqualify it..

Fair enough! I admit I have been fighting this fight for so long that now I do look to disqualify his good play. But I think the point I was trying to make is that disqualifing his good plays is a far lesser stretch than using his good plays to disqualify his poor play. The good plays are EXPECTED and paid for! The bad plays should never be accepted. Or maybe it's just me!

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
And where is Patrick Crayton right now?

And yet by your same logic if Romo completes just two more big passes in that same game maybe we aren't having this discussion either. Patrick Crayton failed on two attempts but Romo failed on 18 attempts. (for one reason or another) In that game Romo completed only 50% of his passes for only 201 yards with 1 TD and 1 int. Those are very average numbers no matter the circumstances. All QBs have receivers drop passes! All QBs have O-lines that miss assignments! All QBs have RBs miss blitz pickups! Its all part of the game and the good QBs overcome it. In Dallas its an excuse.

my point was FF..You see two bad plays from Romo in the JEts game and it his fault, he cant lead, he will never win etc etc..When in fact it is a team game...The QB needs the WR to make the catch, and the OL to block but to many times in this football culture the QB gets all the glory and all the blame

but more to point on the Crayton plays..first one he drops on the 3rd down play..Dallas punts NYG gets a good return and and goes on to score..Romo as the QB put his player in best position to make a big time play

2nd Crayton play...That is a TD to win the game..game over Romo is known for a great comeback in a play off game but Crayton stops running his route

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
The games with Wash are always close, even the years the skins have been terrible. Wash plays solid defense and Grossman is playing well at this point. I still think Grossman is a joke, but he has gotten on decent streaks in his career. I don't think they can sustain for 16 games, but I would not be surprised at all if Wash wins this game.

Washington has had the first two games at home against the Cardinals and the Giants. Neither of those teams are very highly ranked. The Cowboys are surprisingly #4 in the NFL in offense and #4 in the NFL in defense. Th

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Fair enough! I admit I have been fighting this fight for so long that now I do look to disqualify his good play. But I think the point I was trying to make is that disqualifing his good plays is a far lesser stretch than using his good plays to disqualify his poor play. The good plays are EXPECTED and paid for! The bad plays should never be accepted. Or maybe it's just me!

It is an issue when people pretend like all he does is play bad in 4th Qs and has never had a big win

Romo has had some great 4th Q moments and some terrible ones..and honestly had more game winning drives and comebacks than game losing throws or mistakes late in games

Macarthur
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Washington has had the first two games at home against the Cardinals and the Giants. Neither of those teams are very highly ranked. The Cowboys are surprisingly #4 in the NFL in offense and #4 in the NFL in defense. Th

Yeah, I think Dallas is def better than what Wash has seen so far. I think if we can get Newman and Dez back, that will make us reasonably healthy and I like our chances if Newman and Dez play.

BEAST
09-20-2011, 02:59 PM
3 quarters of greatness followed by a complete and utter collapse by Tony. It's not a very popular way to think but IMHO Tony Romo is paid 12million a year to play like he did in the first 3 quarters, not the 4th. The 4th quarter is a issue and his performance before that does nothing to soften the horrible play in the 4th. We aren't talking about High School players that should be patted on the back and praised every time they do something good. We aren't talking about college players where their good plays are balanced against their bad plays and if the good outweight the bad then we have success. This is the NFL and the paycheck is their praise! I think we certainly have a right to expect the good play and we have the right to condemn the bad play.

See how this works......again, the topic of the blocked punt was totally side stepped by you. If that punt block/TD doesnt happen, what Romo did is irrelevant

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
See how this works......again, the topic of the blocked punt was totally side stepped by you. If that punt block/TD doesnt happen, what Romo did is irrelevant

BEAST

another key part that has really been lost

Dallas scores a TD at beginning of 4th Q and the Jets are reeling...Jets go right down the field 7 plays 84 yards and score a TD..I cant say well there is the D that collapses in the 4th Q because I think it was more just so many injuries in secondary we had the back ups of back ups of back ups in the game

BEAST
09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
another key part that has really been lost

Dallas scores a TD at beginning of 4th Q and the Jets are reeling...Jets go right down the field 7 plays 84 yards and score a TD..I cant say well there is the D that collapses in the 4th Q because I think it was more just so many injuries in secondary we had the back ups of back ups of back ups in the game

Exactly. And, Romo is to blame because he hurt those players. He is also the one that missed his block on the blocked punt.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Well beast this is what happen...Romo did cause the injuries because those off season workouts he was doing nothing but showing the team pics of his celebtrity women,. and he was teaching them how to look on the sideline cause remember..you cannot be a good QB in the league unless you yell and scream and look all mad

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM

BEAST

Oh I agree 100%! But nobody is making excuses for the blocked punt! It was a horrible play and any player on the team that makes those mistakes very often finds themselves playing in Canada. But ton's of people are making excuses for the Romo mistakes. And if Romo doesn't make his mistakes (TWICE) the blocked punt is irrelevant.

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Exactly. And, Romo is to blame because he hurt those players. He is also the one that missed his block on the blocked punt.

BEAST

Now this is just sandlot silliness. Super exaggerate what others say to emphasize the points you want to make. :iagree:

Farmersfan
09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Well beast this is what happen...Romo did cause the injuries because those off season workouts he was doing nothing but showing the team pics of his celebtrity women,. and he was teaching them how to look on the sideline cause remember..you cannot be a good QB in the league unless you yell and scream and look all mad

You can find examples of every possible kind of sideline demeanor you could think of in the history of the NFL. It only becomes a problem when the sideline demeanor seems to indicate a cause for the performance on the field. If the performance on the field never indicates a possible lack of leadership then Romo's sideline emotions are never brought up. You claim to have been around football a lot in your years so I'm certain you understand the aspect of cause & effect.

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
You can find examples of every possible kind of sideline demeanor you could think of in the history of the NFL. It only becomes a problem when the sideline demeanor seems to indicate a cause for the performance on the field. If the performance on the field never indicates a possible lack of leadership then Romo's sideline emotions are never brought up. You claim to have been around football a lot in your years so I'm certain you understand the aspect of cause & effect.

This is not cause and effect..it is people overreaching and trying to find any and everything wrong with a player..just like how he wears his hat..or who he dates..they dont make him a better or worse player

forum_guy
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Romo will always get the blame, he is the qb. True story he is ONE of the reasons they havent went further then one round deep. IMO as long Brees and Rodgers still play football Dallas wont ever reach a superbowl and represent the NFC anyways so the Blame Romo game is going to be a yearly thing.

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Romo will always get the blame, he is the qb. True story he is ONE of the reasons they havent went further then one round deep. IMO as long Brees and Rodgers still play football Dallas wont ever reach a superbowl and represent the NFC anyways so the Blame Romo game is going to be a yearly thing.

And he is also the reason Dallas went from being not in the play offs to in the play offs every year he is has been healthy...the problem is Cowboy fans assume the next step will happen when it is no guarantee

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
This is not cause and effect..it is people overreaching and trying to find any and everything wrong with a player..just like how he wears his hat..or who he dates..they dont make him a better or worse player

This is where your debate loses credibility in my opinion TXB. People didn't suddenly decide to start overreacting and trying to find any and everything wrong with Tony Romo. You constantly make referrences to the "Cowboy fans" as being something other than just football fans that expect performance. I can guarantee you there were not a dozen Cowboy fans that didn't like Romo in the beginning. He was the All American boy who beat the odds and got his shot despite how much adversity was piled up against him. Everybody loved Romo in the beginning. The numbers of so called "haters" has grown significantly over the years based on what they see, hear and feel about what Romo does on the field, off the field and in the media. You trying to make it seem like the problem is with the fans rather than with Romo is completely illogical and at times appears to be desperate. It has even spread to the worldwide media. The fact that ESPN announcers and National Sport talk personalities make referrences towards Romo's failures should give you all the evidence you need yet you still persist in trying to prove everybody else wrong by blaming the Cowboy fan. You might not agree with the conclusions that I come with when I look at the evidence but why try to downplay the evidence?

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
. You might not agree with the conclusions that I come with when I look at the evidence but why try to downplay the evidence?

Because I dont agree with that kind of evidence..To try to say well he was not mad after so and so happened proved he is not a leader..or that he wears his hat backwards proves he is not the QB for this team..or because he dates so and so proves he cant win...Did Dirk all of a sudden this year become a hard core player? No..He was not soft last year or the year before ..Did Dirk this year all of a sudden have the ability to come up big at the right moment? No it was always there.

Same thing with Romo..if Romo wins a SB it will not mean that in that one year he all of a sudden became clutch or all of a sudden became a leader. It means that for that one year everything fell right, the perfect mix...a player matures but we have this fairy tale revisionist at times when it comes to sports stories..just look at week 1 to week 2 with Romo and you can see that. MArcus Spears said it best after the game when someone asked if the SF showed that Romo was a leader and tough and he said we all in the lockeroom already knew that. But the media takes it and acts like OMG we never saw this from Romo before when he has showed it many times before

As far as the Cowboy fan, they are not the normal football fan. Good or bad they expectaction level is out of this world.

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Because he is the QB of the Dallas Cowboys so you hear more about him in general.

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 09:08 AM
As far as the Cowboy fan, they are not the normal football fan. Good or bad they expectaction level is out of this world.
Most Cowboy's fans are completing morons. At least Farmersfan can put together a semi-logical, though out response on why he hates Romo. 99% of the fans have no clue what they are talking about and it doesn't take much to make them stop blubbering about how we need to start McGee.

pirate4state
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Sweet Mary & Joseph....

btw -- Patrick Crayton is in San Diego

BILLYFRED0000
09-21-2011, 09:38 AM

In essence what we have are the worlds whiniest fans. They think they can qb and they have all the facts in the world to draw their conclusions from. Inevitably they are wrong because they have never been there so they have no frame of reference with which to base their comments. I think guys that coach some at any level can agree that you know your players on the field. You know what to expect from each. You know each guy that slacks. you know each guy the works.
You know who your money players are. You may disagree to some extent on the skill levels but mostly it is splitting hairs.
Romo is still playing because he has proven he can. If you look it up you will see that he has the highest career QB rating in the fourth quarter. That is usually crunch time...... Say what you will his stats stack up.

SintonFan
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM

In essence what we have are the worlds whiniest fans. They think they can qb and they have all the facts in the world to draw their conclusions from. Inevitably they are wrong because they have never been there so they have no frame of reference with which to base their comments. I think guys that coach some at any level can agree that you know your players on the field. You know what to expect from each. You know each guy that slacks. you know each guy the works.
You know who your money players are. You may disagree to some extent on the skill levels but mostly it is splitting hairs.
Romo is still playing because he has proven he can. If you look it up you will see that he has the highest career QB rating in the fourth quarter. That is usually crunch time...... Say what you will his stats stack up.

I can jump on that wagon.:thumbsup:

AP Panther Fan
09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Sweet Mary & Joseph....

lol, right? After 20 pages, I am wondering what they can "discuss" for the rest of the season.:ack!:

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Most Cowboy's fans are ((((((((( completing)))))))) morons.

Self fulfilling prophecy Emerson1???? :clap:

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
lol, right? After 20 pages, I am wondering what they can "discuss" for the rest of the season.:ack!:

the same topic over and over..and it is fun!!

AP Panther Fan
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
the same topic over and over..and it is fun!!

hahaha, I will try to remember that.:D

SintonFan_inAustin
09-21-2011, 12:25 PM
hahaha, I will try to remember that.:D:cheerl: Go Panthers!!! til they face Sinton :twitch:

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Because I dont agree with that kind of evidence..To try to say well he was not mad after so and so happened proved he is not a leader..or that he wears his hat backwards proves he is not the QB for this team..or because he dates so and so proves he cant win...Did Dirk all of a sudden this year become a hard core player? No..He was not soft last year or the year before ..Did Dirk this year all of a sudden have the ability to come up big at the right moment? No it was always there.

Same thing with Romo..if Romo wins a SB it will not mean that in that one year he all of a sudden became clutch or all of a sudden became a leader. It means that for that one year everything fell right, the perfect mix...a player matures but we have this fairy tale revisionist at times when it comes to sports stories..just look at week 1 to week 2 with Romo and you can see that. MArcus Spears said it best after the game when someone asked if the SF showed that Romo was a leader and tough and he said we all in the lockeroom already knew that. But the media takes it and acts like OMG we never saw this from Romo before when he has showed it many times before

Again you are putting the horse ahead of the wagon TXB. Nobody said Romo wasn't a leader until events ON THE FIELD brought his leadership into question. All the questions that you claim to disagree with were prompted by Romo's play, Romo's responses in the media and Romo's off field antics. Nobody gives a rat's Arse what Romo does on the sideline or off season as long as his performance on the field doesn't bring up those questions. Any QB in the NFL who performed as Romo has combined with all the off field antics would have these exact same questions asked about them. The fact that it is so prevalent with Romo is a testament to how passionate and widespread the fan of the Dallas Cowboys are. Would you prefer the average Cowboy fan be like the average Detroit Lions fan? Even after 14 years of the most inept football possible the Cowboy fan is still maintaining a very high expectation for his team. Without this high expectation you end up with a franchise like the Rangers that can go 40 years without a sniff of success and the fans still fill the stadium. I personally would prefer that everybody completely stop supporting the Cowboys by buying merchandise and tickets so it would force JJ to do something different. Perhaps he would have to sell the team or even better hire a football person to run the team. Jerry should be forced to step down and start acting like a owner instead of acting like a GM wannabe.....................But I ramble!

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Those IN the discussion seem to enjoy the back and forth! Why try to rain on the parade if it isn't hurting anyone? And people who are passionate about their opinions probably can discuss it forever. Should we try for 40 pages? :cheerl:

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Off field antics?

garciap77
09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
.................................................. ................... Jerry should be forced to step down and start acting like a owner instead of acting like a GM wannabe.....................But I ramble!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/good_post.gif

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Again you are putting the horse ahead of the wagon TXB. Nobody said Romo wasn't a leader until events ON THE FIELD brought his leadership into question. All the questions that you claim to disagree with were prompted by Romo's play, Romo's responses in the media and Romo's off field antics. Nobody gives a rat's Arse what Romo does on the sideline or off season as long as his performance on the field doesn't bring up those questions. Any QB in the NFL who performed as Romo has combined with all the off field antics would have these exact same questions asked about them. The fact that it is so prevalent with Romo is a testament to how passionate and widespread the fan of the Dallas Cowboys are. Would you prefer the average Cowboy fan be like the average Detroit Lions fan? Even after 14 years of the most inept football possible the Cowboy fan is still maintaining a very high expectation for his team. Without this high expectation you end up with a franchise like the Rangers that can go 40 years without a sniff of success and the fans still fill the stadium. I personally would prefer that everybody completely stop supporting the Cowboys by buying merchandise and tickets so it would force JJ to do something different. Perhaps he would have to sell the team or even better hire a football person to run the team. Jerry should be forced to step down and start acting like a owner instead of acting like a GM wannabe.....................But I ramble!

What off field antics are you talking about? And what on field moment made you doubt his leadership?

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Jerry should be forced to step down and start acting like a owner instead of acting like a GM wannabe.....................But I ramble!

Wait..u always talk about how talented Dallas is...That is the GM..so if they are so talented why do you want to remove the guy assembles that talent?

AP Panther Fan
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
:cheerl: Go Panthers!!! til they face Sinton :twitch:

Thanks SFIA....might be a good game this year.:wave:

AP Panther Fan
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Should we try for 40 pages? :cheerl:

By all means.....go for it. I wouldn't dream of raining on anyone's parade.:1popcorn:

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
What off field antics are you talking about? And what on field moment made you doubt his leadership?

Did you just wake up from a comma TXB?

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Did you just wake up from a comma TXB?

So will you point them out or not?

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
He plays golf. Duh.

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Wait..u always talk about how talented Dallas is...That is the GM..so if they are so talented why do you want to remove the guy assembles that talent?

Talent is only 1 part of a GM's job and Jerry has had a ton help in that dept. A GM must also create a winning atmosphere and set expectations in the organization. It all starts at the top. In my opinion Jerry is great owner because of his desire to win. but I also would have to say when all the facts are examined Jerry fails miserably as a GM. His over-inflated contracts, keeping old players past their prime, and handicapping his staff in the discipline dept. are all reasons Jerry fails as a GM in my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Talent is only 1 part of a GM's job and Jerry has had a ton help in that dept. A GM must also create a winning atmosphere and set expectations in the organization. It all starts at the top. In my opinion Jerry is great owner because of his desire to win. but I also would have to say when all the facts are examined Jerry fails miserably as a GM. His over-inflated contracts, keeping old players past their prime, and handicapping his staff in the discipline dept. are all reasons Jerry fails as a GM in my opinion.

your contradicting yourself..you say Jones as a GM must create a winning enviorment..but then you say that enviroment comes from the top

which is it?

for the record IMO owners and GM dont provide crap..it is the coaching staff that provides a winning enviroment and culture.

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:04 PM
So will you point them out or not?

You know exactly what I am talking about TXB! I can post each and every incident in order of occurance so you can simply pick them apart with your excuse making and rationale. You've already done that a 1000 times. For example the weekend in Mexico the weekend before a playoff game. You see nothing wrong with that but the truth is MILLIONS of people see that as a big possible reason the team played like a high school team in the playoff game the next week. Right or wrong is irrelevent! Perception is reality in this situation. Like I said before, If the Cowboys come out and whip the snot out of their opponents in that playoff game the trip to Mexico is a footnote and never even mentioned. But combined with the poor play it becomes a possible reason to those who think a reason must be found. That is only 1 example out of many.

Old Tiger
09-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Jerry Jones returned the Cowboys to glory.

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:10 PM
your contradicting yourself..you say Jones as a GM must create a winning enviorment..but then you say that enviroment comes from the top

which is it?

for the record IMO owners and GM dont provide crap..it is the coaching staff that provides a winning enviroment and culture.

I don't see a contradiction there. The GM must create a winning environment and it must come from the top. In this case the top and the GM are the same person. And the GM creates a winning environment by setting expectations and putting people in place that will have the desired effect. It has been said a lot around here that Jerry has been the go-to guy with the players for years and that Jerry stifles the coaches ability to discipline the players. It has also been stated that Jerry has instructed his coaches in the past which player would play and which wouldn't. I personally agree with the anacdote that "where there's smoke, there's fire"! There have been way too many stories about GM interference with the coaches in Dallas for it to all be false. And at the very least the GM is responsible for hiring the coaches and NOBODY would disagree that Wade Philips was a huge mistake.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
You know exactly what I am talking about TXB! I can post each and every incident in order of occurance so you can simply pick them apart with your excuse making and rationale. You've already done that a 1000 times. For example the weekend in Mexico the weekend before a playoff game. You see nothing wrong with that but the truth is MILLIONS of people see that as a big possible reason the team played like a high school team in the playoff game the next week. Right or wrong is irrelevent! Perception is reality in this situation. Like I said before, If the Cowboys come out and whip the snot out of their opponents in that playoff game the trip to Mexico is a footnote and never even mentioned. But combined with the poor play it becomes a possible reason to those who think a reason must be found. That is only 1 example out of many.

ahh yes the trip to Mexico..that was why Dallas lost...I guess Dallas won back in the early 90's cause the players stayed and watched film 24 hours a day..wait..what? Emmit smith admitted he went to Vegas the last SB during the bye week..

but yea I bet the Oline was thinking darn that Romo going to Mexico I am going to not try as hard because he went on a trip when their coach said after the last game, GET OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEK enjoy the bye week.

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Jerry Jones returned the Cowboys to glory.

I think the combination of Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson and a certain Hershel Walker trade returned the Cowboys to glory. But then Jerry began to think of himself as a football man and the rest is history. I like Jerry as a owner but I don't think he is a good GM.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't see a contradiction there. The GM must create a winning environment and it must come from the top. In this case the top and the GM are the same person. And the GM creates a winning environment by setting expectations and putting people in place that will have the desired effect. It has been said a lot around here that Jerry has been the go-to guy with the players for years and that Jerry stifles the coaches ability to discipline the players. It has also been stated that Jerry has instructed his coaches in the past which player would play and which wouldn't. I personally agree with the anacdote that "where there's smoke, there's fire"! There have been way too many stories about GM interference with the coaches in Dallas for it to all be false. And at the very least the GM is responsible for hiring the coaches and NOBODY would disagree that Wade Philips was a huge mistake.

If you believe in the where there is smoke there is fire then believe this

Beat reporters( the guys who are around the team the most) have said over and over the problem with Jones the GM is not how much he interferes but how much he does not...he takes what a coach says as gold and does not question it. A great GM is a roster churner( like we are seeing now with release of Mcan)...dont let a couple of games fool you into keeping someone who is not going to be there game in and game out

on your whole the GM sets the culture....name a GM that set that so called culture? why are GMs not the big paid position?...GMs hire the people and those people set the culture not the other way around

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
ahh yes the trip to Mexico..that was why Dallas lost...I guess Dallas won back in the early 90's cause the players stayed and watched film 24 hours a day..wait..what? Emmit smith admitted he went to Vegas the last SB during the bye week..

but yea I bet the Oline was thinking darn that Romo going to Mexico I am going to not try as hard because he went on a trip when their coach said after the last game, GET OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEK enjoy the bye week.

You never disappont TXB. I told you exactly what you would do. And as usual you post a bunch of nonsense that has no relevence to the discussion. Nobody can say if the trip to Mexico had anything to do with the loss! But also nobody can say it didn't! There is only one thing we can say FOR CERTAIN: They did go to Mexico the week before playing a horrible game. Everything else is simply supposition. But you certainly don't have enough proof or rationale to answer the question for the rest of us. Everyone must answer it themselves. I personally believe that performance in a NFL football game is 90% mental and a trip to Mexico certainly isn't developing a good mental foundation for playing a great game. The botched FG snap in Seattle by Romo was completely a mental mistake. The fumble in NY in week #1 was a mental mistake. Tony Romo has a history of making mental mistakes which to me combined with his comments about losing not being the worst thing to ever happen to him translates that football isn't the most important thing in his life. In the overall scheme of things it probably shouldn't be the most important thing in his life. But when he fails on the field the first place a logical person will point is the fact that perhaps it wasn't important enough to him. And as I said before, Perception is reality when you are a star. Regardless of how Romo really feels his actions and comments will dictate how people thing he feels.

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
If you believe in the where there is smoke there is fire then believe this

Beat reporters( the guys who are around the team the most) have said over and over the problem with Jones the GM is not how much he interferes but how much he does not...he takes what a coach says as gold and does not question it. A great GM is a roster churner( like we are seeing now with release of Mcan)...dont let a couple of games fool you into keeping someone who is not going to be there game in and game out

on your whole the GM sets the culture....name a GM that set that so called culture? why are GMs not the big paid position?...GMs hire the people and those people set the culture not the other way around

Some beat reporters said that TXB! Plenty of others have said the opposite. And if the GM hires the people who sets the culture then doesn't the GM "set the culture"? Or are you telling me a GM hires a coach without knowing if that coach is a disciplinarian or a easy going guy? Not likely! A GM hires a coach that will bring in the kind of attitude and culture that he thinks best fits his team.

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
You never disappont TXB. I told you exactly what you would do. And as usual you post a bunch of nonsense that has no relevence to the discussion. Nobody can say if the trip to Mexico had anything to do with the loss! But also nobody can say it didn't! There is only one thing we can say FOR CERTAIN: They did go to Mexico the week before playing a horrible game. Everything else is simply supposition. But you certainly don't have enough proof or rationale to answer the question for the rest of us. Everyone must answer it themselves. I personally believe that performance in a NFL football game is 90% mental and a trip to Mexico certainly isn't developing a good mental foundation for playing a great game. The botched FG snap in Seattle by Romo was completely a mental mistake. The fumble in NY in week #1 was a mental mistake. Tony Romo has a history of making mental mistakes which to me combined with his comments about losing not being the worst thing to ever happen to him translates that football isn't the most important thing in his life. In the overall scheme of things it probably shouldn't be the most important thing in his life. But when he fails on the field the first place a logical person will point is the fact that perhaps it wasn't important enough to him. And as I said before, Perception is reality when you are a star. Regardless of how Romo really feels his actions and comments will dictate how people thing he feels.

I agree the the INT agianst the Jets was mental and a bad decision..I dont think the bad hold in Seattle was, just a simple physical mistake

So what your saying is at your job if you take a vacation that 7 days later your not good because of that vacation?

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Some beat reporters said that TXB! Plenty of others have said the opposite. And if the GM hires the people who sets the culture then doesn't the GM "set the culture"? Or are you telling me a GM hires a coach without knowing if that coach is a disciplinarian or a easy going guy? Not likely! A GM hires a coach that will bring in the kind of attitude and culture that he thinks best fits his team.

link me to a beat reporter who has said the opposite please

Name me the GM( BTW I hate Jones at GM) that changed a team not because of talent he acquired, but because he set the tone

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree the the INT agianst the Jets was mental and a bad decision..I dont think the bad hold in Seattle was, just a simple physical mistake

So what your saying is at your job if you take a vacation that 7 days later your not good because of that vacation?

No such thing as a physical mistake! (IMHO) The difference between catching a ball and not catching a ball is concentration. Of course there are physical limitations but as long as a person is physically capable then the lack of execution is almost completely mental.

And yes! Even though my job is not near as physically and mentally demanding as Romo's is it does take a few days to get back up to speed. But isn't this the "Dirk" arguement? Just because I am able to perform after returning from a vacation doesn't mean everybody in any profession would be able to. And what if I did return from a 7 day vacation and did something really, really stupid? how would anybody know it wasn't the vacation that caused it. If you consider that I have worked here for 10 years and never done anything stupid and the only variable in the situation was the vacation then logic would suggest it was the vacation. But it's a no win discussion! I believe what i believe and you believe what you believe. But it's fun to debate..........................

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
No such thing as a physical mistake! (IMHO) The difference between catching a ball and not catching a ball is concentration. Of course there are physical limitations but as long as a person is physically capable then the lack of execution is almost completely mental.

And yes! Even though my job is not near as physically and mentally demanding as Romo's is it does take a few days to get back up to speed. But isn't this the "Dirk" arguement? Just because I am able to perform after returning from a vacation doesn't mean everybody in any profession would be able to. And what if I did return from a 7 day vacation and did something really, really stupid? how would anybody know it wasn't the vacation that caused it. If you consider that I have worked here for 10 years and never done anything stupid and the only variable in the situation was the vacation then logic would suggest it was the vacation. But it's a no win discussion! I believe what i believe and you believe what you believe. But it's fun to debate..........................

you said a few days..that is not 7....and you mention a 7 day vacation,..Romo AND WITTEN( how that keeps being forgotten I will never know but WITTEN went as well) were not on a 7 day vacation, they went the weekend of the wild card round...So Romo..and WITTEN worked all week in their job and went to Mexico for basically 3 days( kind of like people go do stuff on the weekend)

as far as the physical vs Mental mistake none of us will ever know..but until someone in that huddle says Romo was scared, or worried or choked I think it was law of averages happening at the worst time for the Cowboys

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Txbroadcaster;1611636

Name me the GM( BTW I hate Jones at GM) that changed a team not because of talent he acquired, but because he set the tone[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand this question TXB..........

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 02:25 PM
That is one off field "antic". I thought you had a list of like 100?

Txbroadcaster
09-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure I understand this question TXB..........

you keep saying the GM is the one who sets the culture...so I asked you, name those GMs..which GM in the league today set the tone for the franchise

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 02:33 PM
That is one off field "antic". I thought you had a list of like 100?

google is your friend! and I can't explain why you would think such a thing. maybe drugs? Maybe you had a dream? Who knows?

Farmersfan
09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
you keep saying the GM is the one who sets the culture...so I asked you, name those GMs..which GM in the league today set the tone for the franchise

ALL OF THEM! They hire the coaches that bring the coaching style and attitudes that they want. I thought this was already established!