PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum @ Gonzales

29-3aFAN
09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
District starts Friday in Gonzales. Gonzales enters the contest with a 4-0 record. Yoakum (3-1) will try to hand the Apaches their first loss. Road to the playoffs starts NOW!! Who you got?

YTBulldogs
09-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Of course I'll take Yoakum (3-1) here. Will it be easy. HELL NO. Gonzales is for real and enter riding a impressive 4-0 mark. Plus, it's at Apache Field. Yikes!!!! Great fans, and a great football savvy town.

Gonzales has a great coaching staff, studs at skill positions and one of the best LB'ers in the state in Lock. No easy task at all.

But, Yoakum will get a few players back that were out against Edna. Yoakum get's stronger as the game goes on. Once again, I think our offense (who is improving weekly) will do just enough to win. The OSB defense will have to fly to the ball again. GZ is just as fast as Edna, so---8 to the ball at the tackle will be required. This relentless "D" is enjoying causing TO's. They bend at times, but don't break often.

Yes, we will be outsized. But, we know that every game and this group motivates off that and makes up for it.

GZ's players, like ours---has the first ever CYFL'ers now as seniors and juniors and know one another very well. Once again, the team with least amount of mistakes will nip this one in the 4th. Yoakum knows it's vital to win this key district opening matchup. Prior success means nothing to the boys, and have already begun gearing for the business trip over to Gonzales. House will be rocking for sure. I see this one as the R4, Game of the Week.

Yoakum remembers last year drumming at home and will take it late. They are buying into the OSB method and knows it must follow it to the T. It will be followed. Apaches have our respect and full attention for sure.

Yoakum 24
Gonzales 20

Snotbubbles
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Wow, this should be a very exciting game. Seen them Apaches last night, and they are solid. Have some weaknesses, sure. But, their strong points cover those up.

I'll have to wait and ponder this one a while before picking. Yoakum seems to thrive on being counted out and not given a chance. While Gonzales proved to us all, the 4-0 isn't a fluke. Sweet matchup for sure.

fire_it_up
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior leadership on the Tribe makes the difference here. Apaches will go 5-0 this week. I am curious to hear what some Cards fans think. By the Yoakum-Columbus score, it looks like they barely slid by them and Apaches had an easier time. I know other factors come into play but the numbers look convincing. Guess it will come down to which team wants it more and the Tribe looks to want it badly. This is a very tough district and I just don't think the Apaches will be giving up a loss this early in the game. Way too many quality athletes for that to happen.

YTBulldogs
09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior leadership on the Tribe makes the difference here. Apaches will go 5-0 this week. I am curious to hear what some Cards fans think. By the Yoakum-Columbus score, it looks like they barely slid by them and Apaches had an easier time. I know other factors come into play but the numbers look convincing. Guess it will come down to which team wants it more and the Tribe looks to want it badly. This is a very tough district and I just don't think the Apaches will be giving up a loss this early in the game. Way too many quality athletes for that to happen.

Yeah, we don't stand a chance. Ya'll have too much talent. We might not even show up. Not sure we have any seniors either.

fire_it_up
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah, we don't stand a chance. Ya'll have too much talent. We might not even show up.
Struck a nerve.....thought everyone was entitled to their own opinions on an opinion board. Shocking, you think your team will win and I think my team will win. I didn't know this was a thread for people that only think Yoakum will win? Maybe we should retitle it? You're right about one thing though...you will have your hands full.

YTBulldogs
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Struck a nerve.....thought everyone was entitled to their own opinions on an opinion board. Shocking, you think your team will win and I think my team will win. I didn't know this was a thread for people that only think Yoakum will win? Maybe we should retitle it? You're right about one thing though...you will have your hands full.

By all means you can speak what ya want. That's what 3ADL is for. This game will be decided during this week preparation and then executed on Friday. Not many have picked us to win a game this year, so it's not a Yoakum board. LOL.

It will be a battle. We're little, but---relentless. GZ is loaded with talent for sure. Known those kids for several years over there. That All State LB'er is probably averaging 20 tackles a game by now. He's a beast.

YTBulldogs
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Been watching some video/utubes on him. Warpath, has your son committed yet? If not, hope he's a Longhorn. We need something like that in Austin:)

Gotta plug my good friend Clack over their in GZ too. Congrats, your son is amazing. Seems like yesterday, we were coaching them in the CYFL league. Good kid, chip off the old block I see.

hookandladder
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
This game may be close for a half however Gonzales will wear Yoakum down in the second half, take Gonzales by 2 or 3 Td's.

YTBulldogs
09-18-2011, 12:29 PM
We hold onto the ball, unlike last year and last week, we'll be there when it counts. Bulldogs are +8 in turnover margin. Amazing what can happen when you hold onto it, and take it away in football.

apache78
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I think we will be back to typical Gonzales/Yoakum football this year. I don't think it has ever mattered much over the years who really had the "better" athletes, seems like this one always has come down to heart and who wanted it more. I think Gonzales is showing that they definitely are real and these kids seem to be the more of the blue collar type, just get the job done without a lot of showboating and mouth. I know the Yoakum community will have a great following and I am looking forward to another great game. I'll have to take my Apaches in a very close one.

YTBulldogs
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I think we will be back to typical Gonzales/Yoakum football this year. I don't think it has ever mattered much over the years who really had the "better" athletes, seems like this one always has come down to heart and who wanted it more. I think Gonzales is showing that they definitely are real and these kids seem to be the more of the blue collar type, just get the job done without a lot of showboating and mouth. I know the Yoakum community will have a great following and I am looking forward to another great game. I'll have to take my Apaches in a very close one.

We'll said. Hope to be crowned homecoming king for a third straight week. Go Dogs!!!!

YTBulldogs
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Perfect weather forecasted.
No rain, light NE breeze.

Kickoff temp mid 70's.

underware
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
was wondering if Yoakum's Hernandez is still out?

YTBulldogs
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
was wondering if Yoakum's Hernandez is still out?

Not sure he's been out this year. He played great this past Friday. It's all hand's on deck for the most part, for this one.

pirate4state
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
This should probably be R4 gotw. District game and all. Good luck!

warpath
09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
=ytbulldogs;1610106]by all means you can speak what ya want. That's what 3adl is for. This game will be decided during this week preparation and then executed on friday. Not many have picked us to win a game this year, so it's not a yoakum board. Lol.

It will be a battle. We're little, but---relentless. Gz is loaded with talent for sure. Known those kids for several years over there. That all state lb'er is probably averaging 20 tackles a game by now. He's a beast.[/quote][/quote]

ApacheForever
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok I am not very good with computers but why can't I vote? For some reason I can't vote on any poll!!!

buff4ever
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I would take Gonzales in this one, Yoakum will keep it interesting though.

Roughneck93
09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm going with Gonzales by 10.

YTBulldogs
09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
If we execute the "OSB Defense" like last week, hold onto the ball, we'll win this important contest I believe.

Dog's fully aware how good and talented GZ is. And, are fully focused at the task ahead of them. Don't wanna start out behind in district.

Real season starts Friday Bulldogs, in Apacheland. We have accomplished nothing yet. Must continue to improve weekly. Remember your goals following that drumming last year in SA, ending that nightmare 2010 season. And, how that felt.

Blue42
09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I have a feeling Gonzo has the better hand but I'm pulling for the DOWGS

fire_it_up
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I hate to get technical but its called the "Apache Territory" not Apacheland.

hookandladder
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I hate to get technical but its called the "Apache Territory" not Apacheland.

Call it what you want but Apache 's gonna roll in this one, Yoakum offense not very good and a number of players going both ways. Apache D might do what LG D did to them , no first downs in first half and 3 total for the game with 2 coming on their last drive of the game. Apache's win going away.

YTBulldogs
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Call it what you want but Apache 's gonna roll in this one, Yoakum offense not very good and a number of players going both ways. Apache D might do what LG D did to them , no first downs in first half and 3 total for the game with 2 coming on their last drive of the game. Apache's win going away.

We've come along way, and still improving since week 2 H&L. Yoakum will answer this challenge as well. Whatever it takes. No excuses, just get it done.

I think we now have 3 players going both ways. Not bad, for having the smallest enrollment (around 425) in the district.

hookandladder
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
We've come along way, and still improving since week 2 H&L. Yoakum will answer this challenge as well. Whatever it takes. No excuses, just get it done.

I think we now have 3 players going both ways. Not bad, for having the smallest enrollment (around 425) in the district.

Not going to help , Gonzales just better team. Our offense taking time to develope but you guys offense just not there, do not think Yoakum offense gonna get any beter.

fire_it_up
09-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Ok I am not very good with computers but why can't I vote? For some reason I can't vote on any poll!!!

Figured out they changed the rules and you have to have 100 posts first.

YTBulldogs
09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Not going to help , Gonzales just better team. Our offense taking time to develope but you guys offense just not there, do not think Yoakum offense gonna get any beter.

Takes alittle time when you have 1 returner, and the only senior on your "O" line. Like I said, it's coming. Not a powerhouse, scoring machine like ya'lls yet H&L.:rolleyes:

YTBulldogs
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Who ya want fire_it_up? I'll vote for ya.

ApacheForever
09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the imput; I guess I have about 98 more to go!!! YT Bulldogs will you vote for me? I think I will take Gonzales !!!

YTBulldogs
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the imput; I guess I have about 98 more to go!!! YT Bulldogs will you vote for me? I think I will take Gonzales !!!

Gotcha covered AF.;)

YTBulldogs
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Great week preparing Dogs. Your ready. Step one of our mission before you this Friday. Focus at the task ahead and don't settle for anything less than a hard fought victory at Apache Field. All systems go!!!!!

The community will be giving you a major send off and follow you to GZ. We have your back. You have the town excited again.

YTBulldogs
09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Very touching write up on Coach Lock and his children in today's Victoria Advocate.

Coach Lock, I've known you since your Runge days, and you've always been a stand up guy and talented coach. This article proves your also a super dad and husband. God speed to you and your children. I can't imagine what ya'll had to endure with your loss.

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/sep/21/mf_onsports_092211_152844/

txsportswriter
09-22-2011, 10:52 PM
This one should be a great one. This is my first post on here since early last season, but I just had to get on and see what people have been talking about in here. This has the makings of a classic, but I just have a gut feeling that Yoakum will shock some people this season. It started last week in the win over Edna and I think it will continue this week in Gonzales. At first, I was thinking it would would come down to the fourth quarter with either team winning a close one, but now I don't think so. I like Yoakum winning this one 23-6. Bulldog defense is tough and I don't like what I saw on film in regards to the Apache offense. But like an earlier poster said, you can throw out all the stats and previous games in this one, because it will come down to heart and who wants it more and I think the Bulldogs want it more. Guess only time will tell. I have a lot of respect for those boys in Gonzales as well as they Apache coaching staff, but I have to pull for my Bulldogs! RELENTLESS!!!!!

ApacheForever
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Outstanding article!! Not only is he a super dad and husband but he is a super friend. I stayed in touch with him during his stint at Gainesville; drove through an ice storm in the middle of the night and loaded him and the family in a foot of snow to bring them home. He has been a good friend to me for the last 5 years!!

zebrablue2
09-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Great read and thanks!!!

YTBulldogs
09-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Outstanding article!! Not only is he a super dad and husband but he is a super friend. I stayed in touch with him during his stint at Gainesville; drove through an ice storm in the middle of the night and loaded him and the family in a foot of snow to bring them home. He has been a good friend to me for the last 5 years!!

Your a dedicated friend AF. Best wishes tonight, and let's just have fun watching this classic.

Yoakumites, get to the send off early. It will be well attended and loud.:cheerl:

Snotbubbles
09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Ok, I pondered this one all week. I did place Gtown in my top 10 this week. 4-0, they earned it.

It's the Apaches homecoming, town is all a-buzz and they are loaded with talent.

Yoakum appears motivated being the underdog and they thrive on turnovers. The "D" bends, but don't break before gaining that TO. Offense does just enough it appears.

Warpath stated for the Dogs to "bring it on". This one will come down to special teams play and the TO battle IMO,

Yoakum's "bringing it", and will get crowned as homecoming king for the 3rd straight week, 21-8.

Gontex
09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Woe is me. All is lost. No way Gonzales can beat Yoakum with the all knowing snotbubble picking Yoakum to win. There is no need for the Apaches to even show up. I need some of what you guys are smoking. LOL!

Snotbubbles
09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Woe is me. All is lost. No way Gonzales can beat Yoakum with the all knowing snotbubble picking Yoakum to win. There is no need for the Apaches to even show up. I need some of what you guys are smoking. LOL!

LOL. Not smoking anything here in SA. We play again Sat, I get to see ya'll 2 weeks in row.

I'm certain I picked ya'll last week didn't I?

Snotbubbles
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I know of McD's, Whataburger (near Apache Field) any solid places to eat in Gonzales. They'll be about 5 of us coming to catch ya'll again this Friday.

Gontex
09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Guerra's Grill on east St Lawrence street is a good place. Matamoros Taco Hut down St. Joseph St. (south of Apache Field) and Mr. Taco about 3 blocks from the field are good places. Price is definitely right at Matamoros.

fire_it_up
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
I know of McD's, Whataburger (near Apache Field) any solid places to eat in Gonzales. They'll be about 5 of us coming to catch ya'll again this Friday.

Alot of the restaurant style places close up during the game because they have kids that play or are involved. There is Mr. Taco (serves other food beside Mexican food) on HWY 90A toward Walmart and the Cowpalace which is attached to the auction barn on HWY 90A toward Seguin (right outside of Gonzales). Those two will still be open. Maybe you should find some place that serves "crow" like last week?:clap:

Gontex
09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Snotbubbles, I don't think you ever picked us for anything. LOL All I have ever read you say is how Gonzales doesn't deserve this and the Apaches don't deserve that because of the schedule Apaches have played. You know, I was just looking at the Hurricanes' schedule. You haven't exactly been playing the old SWC there, have you? Should handle Poteet pretty easily tomorrow and then you have a week off.

fire_it_up
09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Guerra's Grill on east St Lawrence street is a good place. Matamoros Taco Hut down St. Joseph St. (south of Apache Field) and Mr. Taco about 3 blocks from the field are good places. Price is definitely right at Matamoros.

Does Guerra's stay open during the game? I don't know why I thought they might shut down early on Friday's when it is an intown game?

29-3aFAN
09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Put it to em DOGS!!

fire_it_up
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Halftime Gonzales 20-0

Gontex
09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Dawgs have been feisty, but the Apaches have made them pay for every mistake they have made. Dawgs have three turnovers including two interceptions, one of which was a pick six and one fumble which set up the Apaches with a short field for their third score. Apaches lead in total offense 198 yards to 113.

Gontex
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Vicious hit on the opening kickoff for the second half and Yoakum turns it over again. Apaches capitalize on 27 yard run by Casares. 26-0.

Gontex
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Short Yoakum punt gives the Apaches the ball on the Yoakum 43 yard line.

Gontex
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
PI penalty on Yoakum in the ez gives Apaches first and goal on the two. Casares takes it in and Apaches lead 33-0 with 1:50 to go in the 3rd.

YTBulldogs
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Congrats Gonzales, you totally whooped our butt. Tip my hat to ya'll. Good luck the rest of the way.

fire_it_up
09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Congratulations Apaches. Very well executed plan. You played hard for all 48 minutes and got the win. Defense was amazing and offense was solid. Lots of very painful looking hits and you played with heart. Snotbubbles, are you tired of the taste of that crow in your mouth after two weeks of it?

Lombardi
09-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Was at the game...gonzo took yoakum behind the ole woodshed and spanked them bottoms blue... The apaches physically abused the dogs up front....gonzales is much improved from last year...

Gontex
09-24-2011, 02:49 AM
Was at the game...gonzo took yoakum behind the ole woodshed and spanked them bottoms blue... The apaches physically abused the dogs up front....gonzales is much improved from last year...

Lots of turnovers for the Dawgs. Dawgs came out fired up and played very well during the first quarter. Apaches gradually took control by taking advantage of every mistake the Dawgs made. Apaches had two time consuming drives in the second half, one for seven minutes and actually ran the clock out with more than 9 minutes remaining in the game by controlling the ball.

fire_it_up
09-24-2011, 08:03 AM

You could say they were " relentless"!!!!!

Snotbubbles
09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Congratulations Apaches. Very well executed plan. You played hard for all 48 minutes and got the win. Defense was amazing and offense was solid. Lots of very painful looking hits and you played with heart. Snotbubbles, are you tired of the taste of that crow in your mouth after two weeks of it?

Yes, crow eating time again. Let me state it here for all to see. I was wrong about GZ. They are very talented and look better with JA at QB then Hillman. WOW!!! Much better than the Columbus game I seen.

Let me be the first here,

Gonzales 70
Poteet 0

They might not have enough players after we play them today. GZ/SH will be a war.

Gontex
09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, crow eating time again. Let me state it here for all to see. I was wrong about GZ. They are very talented and look better with JA at QB then Hillman. WOW!!! Much better than the Columbus game I seen.

Let me be the first here,

Gonzales 70
Poteet 0

They might not have enough players after we play them today. GZ/SH will be a war.

Both teams have to take care of business with Poteet first. The thing that Hillman gives the Apaches is that it adds another downfield weapon when Casares is able to go outside and then downfield rather than stay in the qb position. I do not believe that Coach Lock would ever run up the score up against someone like that.

YTBulldogs
09-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Sit here all day and thought about my experience in Gonzales last night. Everything there was first class. When I arrived, it was a pleassure listening to what I call the High School Football Network over the PA system during warm ups. No blarring rap, thank goodness. Just got you in the moment, made things seem extra special to all the kids. Yes, we got hammered, but--good job to those running the games held at Gonzales Apache Field. Your effort to make the high school football game experience elite, is working.

Snotbubbles
09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, it was an impressive environment last night. Both sides looked packed. How many fan's you think were there?

SH's 27 fan's will like it in a couple weeks.:cheerl:

Snotbubbles
09-24-2011, 08:28 PM
48-0 at the RP (Halftime) vs. Poteet. I'm leaving.

Gontex
09-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it was an impressive environment last night. Both sides looked packed. How many fan's you think were there?

SH's 27 fan's will like it in a couple weeks.:cheerl:

Don't know for sure, but looked like lots of standing too. Probably in the area of 6000 folks there last night. I believe the stadium capacity is 3500, but they had extras seats last night and as I said lots of standers. Didn't think Hurricane would have much trouble with Poteet.

apache78
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks YT, a friend and me started doing the Thurs. night games about 5 years ago and we were offered Fridays as well about 2 years ago. We decided we wanted High School Football atmosphere and not a juke box joint going. Since KCTI does the hour long football preview, we decided to do that live from 6-7 and then start pregame. I enjoy looking up the old history of the schools and giving a little of that flavor as well as what the upcoming game means to each school. We also like doing as many local scores and have a cell phone app. that continually updateds the game for us so we don't have to call all the pressboxes around. Thanks for the Kudo's and glad you enjoyed the atmosphere.