PDA

View Full Version : H.S. Football Rankings (Top 20)

Ranger Mom
05-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Just stumbled across this - first one I believe I have seen for 2003.

2003 High School Football Pre-Season Rankings (http://www.texashsfootball.com/rankings/)

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

rholl
05-20-2003, 03:10 PM
2. Sinton might be a little high....but thats just based on what I've heard some Sinton people saying.
3. Forney-ok....but might just wind up in the top spot when its all said and done.
4. M-G ok..I'll go with that!
5. Jasper...maybe a little high
6. Burnet...could also take home the big trophy.
1. Everman...gotta keep them there til someone takes it away.

Old Cardinal
05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Looks pretty good to me, for this point in time....Personally I would Sub-in Liberty for Carthage and Newton for La Grange-this early in the picking...Cleveland is also a sleeper, along with Hardin-Jefferson.

Gobbla2001
05-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Talked to him about his rankings, I think he did good with them, afterall they are just opinions...

Told him that he needed to consider Rice Consolidated...

Bellville22
05-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Interesting. I think Marlin is easily a Top 10 team. No way should they be as low as 16. I also agree with Old Card, Liberty should definately crack that list.

But where's Sealy? :D According to "tigers are back", they're winning state this year. :rolleyes: Maybe they're in a league of their own, and shouldn't be mentioned with these lesser teams, right tiger?

Tarpon2004
05-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Damn Port Isabel is not even in the top 20!....lol..talk about a bunch of Cr@p!

Everman (14-1)

Sinton (12-1)

Forney (12-2)

Midland Greenwood (15-1)

Jasper (11-3)

Burnet (14-1)

Daingerfield (12-3)

Celina (11-1)

Bellville (13-2)

New Boston (11-2)

Carthage (7-5)

Bridge City (11-2)

Commerce (9-3)

Bandera (13-3)

Abilene Wylie (9-3)

Marlin (11-3)

Longview Spring Hill (12-2)

Wills Point (10-1)

Atlanta (9-4)

La Grange (11-2)

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Tarpon2004 ]</small>

sinton66
05-20-2003, 05:34 PM
rholl:
2. Sinton might be a little high....but thats just based on what I've heard some Sinton people saying.
3. Forney-ok....but might just wind up in the top spot when its all said and done.
1. Everman...gotta keep them there til someone takes it away.2. Sinton... a little high?????????
I'd say WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY high!

vet93
05-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Hey Sinton66...that is actually a great tribute to the program that they are picked so high. I know that you are graduating a phenomenal class, but alot of people have taken notice of the Pirates the last few years. The only problem is that it puts a great big bullseye on your chest when you are trying to break in a new group of players.

sinton66:

rholl:
1. Everman...gotta keep them there til someone takes it away.2. Sinton... a little high?????????
I'd say WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY high!

PPHSfan
05-20-2003, 05:42 PM
After watching the Everman vs Forney game last year and after the Everman vs Burnet game, and with Everman and Sinton graduating just about everyone, and Forney and Burnet both returning their offensive stars, I just don't see how Forney could be ranked behind Sinton, or how Burnet could be all the way down at Six.

Please forgive me for that ridiculously long sentence. :p

BigChamp05
05-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Where is port Isabel and Rice Consolidated?

PPHSfan
05-20-2003, 06:00 PM
BigChamp05:
Where is port Isabel and Rice Consolidated?My guess is somewhere right below the top 20. I mean RC finished last season ranked 26th and PI finished 56th in the Data Poll.

Gobbla2001
05-20-2003, 06:36 PM
RC and PI are going to be awesome....

sinton66
05-20-2003, 07:06 PM
The problem with us, is I still don't know if these kids were of the "once in a lifetime" variety or not. We had a good JV, but not even top 25 in my opinion. Sinton will be very young next year in all of the athletic programs.

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Eagles52
05-20-2003, 08:45 PM
just wondering someone mentioned liberty should be rated high, are you referring to the liberty panthers of dist. 22, I dont think you are but jw

Eagles52
05-20-2003, 08:47 PM
also cleveland was mentioned as a "sleeper" and the only cleveland I know of is in 22 so are you thinking liberty and/or cleveland will dethrone barbers hill in football?

Old Cardinal
05-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Yes, Barbers Hill should be OK only, having graduated very heavy; but Liberty will probably be the Div. II Representative, an a viable Div. II contender. Cleveland will be a force if their Coaches get the discipline problems solved. You are the one that said BH would beat BC last year---I think BH along with BC will be rebuilding this coming season. Both had good JV and Freshmen records so they will be strong the following season.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Gobbla2001:
RC and PI are going to be awesome....No kidding! Should both teams win their district, and advance in the playoffs.....Port Isabel and Rice Consolidated would play each other in the 3rd round of the playoffs. That would be one helluva game.

BULLDOGFAN
05-20-2003, 10:28 PM
That is the worst poll I could imagine coming out. Geez do those guys really believe that?

eagle08
05-20-2003, 10:38 PM
I feel like Liberty will be good next year if they can replace some key offensive lineman who graduated. Their line is what made them last year. As for Barbers Hill, I look for them to be better than they were last year. Sure they may have lost a few players to graduation, but their replacements will do fine if not better. I heard they have a move in coming that should really help out (linebacker/fullback). He was suppose to start for Clear Creek next year, but is moving to the Hill. His dad played for BH on one of their state championship teams. The Hill will be a force to reckon with for many years to come.

pirate4state
05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Ranger Mom:
Just stumbled across this - first one I believe I have seen for 2003.

2003 High School Football Pre-Season Rankings (http://www.texashsfootball.com/rankings/)Looks like someone did some tweaking. Look again. Burnet is #2 & Sinton is now #3 and so, on...

Sinton's ranking is too high. We graduate alot of seniors!! :( Next year should be interesting. :p

Gobbla2001
05-21-2003, 12:02 AM
The guy's from Texarkana, he can only go off of what he knows... They're his opinions, not fact, so why argue them? Anyway, I gave him advice about the rankings, we discussed it, and he has now changed them... BUT, I don't believe he should have, if those are his opinions then so be it... Who are we to say they're the worst? Come out with your own rankings then you can talk, but I can guarantee you someone will find something wrong with them...

Old Cardinal
05-21-2003, 05:28 AM
I think his accuracy was much closer before he re-tweaked it, with all the outside pressure and help....I have a question, every year there is a lot of bally-hoo over Rice Consolidated, yet when I look at the last few years-they seem to be just a very average program-even Sweeny beat them when the were in a major rebuilding situation. What gives?....It looks to me like the re-tweaking was to just move Region III teams down- and add in more Region II and Region IV teams.

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Tarpon2004
05-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Everman (14-1)

Burnet (14-1)

Forney (12-2)

Midland Greenwood (15-1)

Daingerfield (12-3)

Celina (11-1)

Marlin (11-3)

Bellville (13-2)

Jasper (11-3)

New Boston (11-2)

Sinton (12-1)

Wills Point (10-1)

Carthage (7-5)

Bridge City (11-2)

Rice Consolidated (8-4)

Abilene Wylie (9-3)

Longview Spring Hill (12-2)

Atlanta (9-4)

Bandera (13-3)

Commerce (9-3)

Matthew328
05-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Rice Consolidated was also in somewhat of a rebuilding year last year...they were extremely young...they'll be in the mix

texcaj
05-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Navasota was very young last year also. They return all but 2 offensive starters and most of their defense. They will be a very tough team this year. With Smith, Martin, and Wesley to lead the way and a solid defense they should be in the running.

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: texcaj ]</small>

Keith7
05-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Celina is ranked kinda high after losing many key players

PPHSfan
05-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Keith7:
Celina is ranked kinda high after losing many key playersYea, but tradition NEVER Graduates.

Keith7
05-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Stop takin phrases off of their football program..

They are due for a bad year sooner or later

Bandera YaYa
05-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Haven't you guys learned anything?....rankings are just shots in the dark, fueled by good ole' yesterdays! LOL :D

Ranger Mom
05-21-2003, 04:58 PM
I agree Ya Ya. I am the one who started this thread, because I KNEW it would be a good subject to be discussed!
Even though we all know that polls are not to be trusted, they make for a good discussion. I know that I watch every poll I can to see where we are ranked - just out of curiosity!!
One of these days I am gonna have to "GET A LIFE!!" :D :D

Bandera YaYa
05-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Your cool!! All my guys are graduating, so next year will not be the same for me. This year was magic and that doesn't come along very often. wink I do wish your Rangers all the luck next year. I'll be watching and will try to keep up!

Yeah, I get such a kick from the die hard guys on here that seem so intense about rankings and polls...like they are the gospel! But, hey, I was pretty intense myself about the my Dogs, so I can understand! The best post on here was your story about getting home after the game in Waco...thinking about it still brings a smile to my face!! :cool:

Ranger Mom
05-21-2003, 05:31 PM
That story made me quite the celebrity!! I will NEVER live it down here in Greenwood!

I wouldn't take back a second of it though. I have been compared to Mrs. Griswald in the "Vacation" series. :rolleyes:

I took my daughter and some of her friends to Six Flags a couple of weekends ago, upon leaving I got lost - of course. It took me 3-1/2 hours to get to my mom's, a trip that should have taken 45 minutes tops. I could have sworn last time I took the wrong exit and ended up at DFW, you weren't able to go through. Guess what?? Now you can, which I finally figured out on my 3rd pass through the darn place!! At 1:30 in the morning the traffic was still as bad as it is in Midland at 5:00 PM. DOES ANYBODY EVER SLEEP THERE??? eek! eek!

PPHSfan
05-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Keith7:

They are due for a bad year sooner or laterSome schools just don't believe in losing Keith. It is hard to beat a winning program, with a winning coaching staff. One of these days folks are going to realize that winning at Texas Highschool Football is 70% Coaching, 20% Community, and 10% talent. There are big fast kids all over the state, but it is the coaching staff and the community that starts building the tradition in the third grade that makes for teams that win every year, otherwise how could you explain TOWNS that win year in and year out. Yes Keith it is the Kids that win big when a town wins now and then, but it is a much bigger picture when you win EVERY year.

Old Dog
05-21-2003, 08:33 PM
PPHSfan.....I sure agree with your 70% comment. Lots of teams have good seasons due to loads of talent, and good coaching....then they slip back to average the next year (this is probably a more usual pattern in most schools). Especially in the smaller schools, the better coaches move on to larger schools and bigger budgts. But, winning year after year takes a special type of coaching from top to bottom. It takes unconditional community support and young people that learn to expect to win. Many of those teams send very few youngsters on to Division I colleges. Their systems develop "team" everything, from the managers to the star QBs to the boosters. This takes nothing away from super talent either, that's just icing on the cake. Those kids are a joy to watch! I grant you we certainly have been blessed in Burnet of late.

vet93
05-21-2003, 08:43 PM
PPHSfan...you hit the nail on the head with this post. Teams don't win for extended periods of time because they are always "lucky" enough to have the best talent. If it was just talent then all teams overall records would be around .500. The law of averages would get everybody. If you look at the communities that buck this trend you will see a winning attitude in the elementary school. The kids, coaches and community just expect to win and put in the effort to make it happen.

PPHSfan:

Keith7:

They are due for a bad year sooner or laterSome schools just don't believe in losing Keith. It is hard to beat a winning program, with a winning coaching staff. One of these days folks are going to realize that winning at Texas Highschool Football is 70% Coaching, 20% Community, and 10% talent. There are big fast kids all over the state, but it is the coaching staff and the community that starts building the tradition in the third grade that makes for teams that win every year, otherwise how could you explain TOWNS that win year in and year out. Yes Keith it is the Kids that win big when a town wins now and then, but it is a much bigger picture when you win EVERY year.

sinton66
05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Are you guys really saying it takes a community to raise a football team? wink I seem to remember having this discussion last year some time. I agree it's a combination of things. Coaches are at least 50%, and I think the talent is a little more like 30% with the community being about 20%. Some people think it's recruiting. I have to ask where the hell would towns like Celina and Pilot Point recruit from ?

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Regarding Celina, Sinton66.......have you ever wondered why the Plano schools haven't been anywhere near as dominant as they used to be??? :D

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
05-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I believe in my team 1,000,000% but I think we are ranked kinda high considering we graduate almost the whole football team, return about 10 letters, have an almost brand new coaching staff and start with a younger, shorter and smaller in body type team, but GO DOGS!!

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004 ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
05-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Pesonaly, I believe what makes a championship team is more about brotherhood then anything else. The ability to set aside ego's and do what is best for the team is hard to accomplish. Athletes tend to get stroked a lot, and it is easy to get caught up in the glory of the moment.

You Bandera Boys know what I am talking about.

Matthew328
05-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Every situation is different becuase if community is 20% of winning Everman wouldn't have won 2 titles in a row....the majority of the city of Everman could care less what the football team is doing...drive around town and you see one...yes one sign up saying "Go Dogs" and that is in front of the high school...without talent and coaching you can't do much else...everything else is secondary...you take Celina and stick em in Whitney and they'll win...now take Whitney's kids and staff and put em in Celina and they'll lose....LOL but tradition does play a role I guess...every situation is different and to be a winner you just gotta have the right combination of em all! In our case Everman hasn't been a state power by any means for an extended period of time...BUT they have won pretty consistently for about 25 years...maybe we are the exception and not the rule..LOL

<small>[ May 22, 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

sinton66
05-22-2003, 05:51 PM
The community aspect is understandable in the case of Everman. Being surrounded by Ft.Worth would tend to do that I think. You are one of the very few 3A programs in the middle of a sprawling city. I would think Everman just might be the exception. Most of the rest of us are pretty much rural towns. In that case, there is a closer "knit" community involvement because, truthfully, in Sinton there ain't much else to do on a Friday night. :D :D :D

bd62
05-22-2003, 10:22 PM
rice c. will be very strong and talented. only 5 seniors last year. they learned a lot last year especially playing a team like bandera. should have a good idea what it takes to win the close ones.

Brahma73
05-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Bandera YaYa:
Haven't you guys learned anything?....rankings are just shots in the dark, fueled by good ole' yesterdays! LOL :D Don't get this woman stirred up! She knows what she's talking about!!! :p

What's up YaYA!?!?!

Bandera YaYa
05-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey there Buddy Brahma!! How have you been?? I'm smack in the middle of baseball playoffs...it's been kinda spooky that we are still playing...beat the number 4 team last week, but the road ahead will be bumpy, for sure!! Sells son, remember #73 on our team, was over last nite..he's going to A& M in the fall...guess what he's studyin to be???? Yep!Just like his Dad. He's a great kid. Well, now I have fellow Ya Ya's on here....you know what they say about having strength in numbers!!!LOL!! Hope all is well with yours....my last daughter is graduating next week ......Yeah!!!! TAlk to you soon......

pres. ya ya ya pinky
05-22-2003, 11:24 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIENDS AND WILL KEEP ON
FIGHTING TILL THE END. OH! I AM SO SORRY I GOT CAUGHT UP IN MOMENT!! GO DOGS(THAT BANDERA BULLDOG) MAY FLAT STANLEY BE WITH YOU!!

THAT'S A CODE MESSAGE FOR ALL BULLDOGS!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

the tigers are back
05-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Say...bull,you really enjoy talking to me huh,but that's okay you will see more of me when the games begin.Oh...guess what there rankings are only numbers;just ask JASPER,NEWTON,MARLIN,EVERMAN,and the bellville baby bulls none of them won state.So when the smoke clears i'm willing to bet;you that bellville will not be in the finals;and never mind my english...you just worry about rice and elgin...ha!ha!ha!.Hey old cardinal i really don't know about you are even your team and if you talking about bridge city;all i got to do his call on the bulldogs for you'll. eek!

Jacket2000
05-23-2003, 01:52 AM
the tigers are back:
JASPER,NEWTON,MARLIN,EVERMAN,and the bellville baby bulls none of them won state.Check your records, Einstein. Everman has one state for the past two seasons.
J2K

sinton66
05-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Maybe they do things differently on his planet, wherever that might be. wink

rholl
05-23-2003, 09:02 AM
ummmm tiger cub......Everman Bulldogs... State Champs '01 '02.

Bellville22
05-23-2003, 11:20 AM
the tigers are back:
Say...bull,you really enjoy talking to me huh,but that's okay you will see more of me when the games begin.Oh...guess what there rankings are only numbers;just ask JASPER,NEWTON,MARLIN,EVERMAN,and the bellville baby bulls none of them won state.So when the smoke clears i'm willing to bet;you that bellville will not be in the finals;and never mind my english...you just worry about rice and elgin...ha!ha!ha!.Hey old cardinal i really don't know about you are even your team and if you talking about bridge city;all i got to do his call on the bulldogs for you'll. eek! OK, OK.....I've got it figured out. "the tigers are back" isn't real, because let's face it, no one can be that ignorant. Matthew328 and Jacket2000 created this character and have been typing this nonsense just to provide a little comedy on this board. Matt and Jack, bet y'all thought no one would figure it out, but I busted y'all, but keep it up...it's really funny.

If for some reason I'm wrong, and this guy is for real, then I noticed tiger, that you didn't say anything about Emeal and the Tigers winning state in this last post. Have you put that idea on hold for a while. Infact, you didn't even say they'd beat Bellville, you had to run and hide behind Rice and Elgin, saying we better watch out for them. Have you just accepted the fact that Bellville is gonna pound Sealy just like last year. Yes, I know Rice is very good, I thought they should have been in that poll, and Elgin is always good as well. They're gonna play us a great game, and hell, they may even beat us. But you know what...that doesn't mean a thing, unless they come around to beat us in Nov. or Dec. All I'm concerned about right now is 5 district games, the last being w/ the beloved Tigers. Then we can take playoffs one week at a time. And never in any of my messages did I say "Bellville would win state." Nobody should be bold enough to say that about any team at this point. I did say they would be contenders, and I'll bet most people on this board would agree with that.

And congrats, I saw a tiny bit of improvement in your English on this past post, but it still has alot to be desired. Just curious...how old are you? Seriously? And FYI, rankings are not all numbers...they're a number, followed by a team (not your team), which is made up of letters. For a breakdown of letters, refer to Brahma73's lesson in "top 3a running back...."

Got Phonics?

marlinbulldogplayer
05-23-2003, 01:39 PM
jacket2000 stop talking mess b/c yall got beat by a little 3a school. we broke yalls hearts. yall were the one's crying.

PPHSfan
05-23-2003, 01:44 PM
marlinbulldogplayer:
jacket2000 stop talking mess b/c yall got beat by a little 3a school. we broke yalls hearts. yall were the one's crying.LOL, When did all of this happen? Did Marlin beat Everman? I didn't think so. :p