PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 GotW: Brownwood (3-1) @ China Spring (4-0)

bwdlionfan
09-17-2011, 09:46 AM
China Spring has beaten two winless teams and two teams that are 2-2. They appear to play good defense but don't put up a lot of points. I think we'll stop their undefeated record, but I don't see us putting up 49 like we did last night (and hopefully we don't put up 0 like we did last week).

This one could be a 28-21 type game.

One interesting fact is CS hasn't lost at home since Sept 4, 2008 (11 games ago)

Black Swarm
09-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Being a former Cougar from along way back I hope the Cougars win.
But bwdlionfan I think you may be right on this one. CS has pretty good defense but offense
hasn't produced much yet.

Bosqueville
09-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm looking forward to this one!! Brownwood by 14!

GrTigers6
09-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Our offense ran up over 500 yards of offense on there D and if it werent for our problem with the red zone we would have blown them out. 7 trips in the redzone and and only 14 points. I would think Brownwood wins by 28. But the fact that they are playing at home may make it a little closer, But Brownwood should win by 14 at least.

LIONS#1
09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I think we will win the game by 10 points...each team gets better every week and we have to execute flawlessly to stay in games. China Spring always has a good team!!

Bosqueville
09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
If you've never been to their stadium it's a little off the beaten path.

GrTigers6
09-17-2011, 12:57 PM
If you've never been to their stadium it's a little off the beaten path.The whole town is off the beaten path. If you didnt know it was there you would not see it.

regaleagle
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Really, this 19-3A district is kinda being left outta the mix this year, and I would say it is a fairly competitive group of teams in this district this year. Just because they haven't come around offensively early on, I still wouldn't discount China Spring so quickly. Week 4 is whole different animal than week 1 or 2 for teams that are maturing.

Rocket
09-17-2011, 01:59 PM
The Slot T gonna get blowed up. Brownwood by 21.

Brownwood 35-14

garciap77
09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Brownwood by 21!

solocam
09-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Brownwood by 21!
X3 Lions roll

LionFan72
09-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Gonna depend on which horse we ride into town on, the maroon and white stud or the green Night mare! Should be a two td win, but I sure wouldn't bet the ranch on either option. I personally have witnessed greatness and groundhogging this year.

CS DAD
09-18-2011, 06:59 AM
what slot t

R1Editor
09-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Brownwood
China Spring

Here we go!

ccmom
09-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Merge with this...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?114759-Brownwood-(3-1)-China-Spring-(4-0)

bp80884
09-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Our offense ran up over 500 yards of offense on there D and if it werent for our problem with the red zone we would have blown them out. 7 trips in the redzone and and only 14 points. I would think Brownwood wins by 28. But the fact that they are playing at home may make it a little closer, But Brownwood should win by 14 at least.

GrTiger6,
If it weren't for all of your little problems you would not be 0-4. Don't discount the fact that the teams you are playing might be talented and the Glen Rose Tigers might not have been good enought to score any more than 14 points. On the flip side, for the 14 points you did score some might consider you to be rather lucky to get that.

Either way, you never win games on potential, only on execution.

GrTigers6
09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
GrTiger6,
If it weren't for all of your little problems you would not be 0-4. Don't discount the fact that the teams you are playing might be talented and the Glen Rose Tigers might not have been good enought to score any more than 14 points. On the flip side, for the 14 points you did score some might consider you to be rather lucky to get that.

Either way, you never win games on potential, only on execution.I never said we should have won, I said we could have, I was just saying your defense in our game was not as good as the other games yall had played.

regaleagle
09-19-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm somewhat familiar with Brownwood's team this year. I would like to hear more about China Spring's players and the games they have played so far this year. Can anyone bring us up to date?

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
If you've never been to their stadium it's a little off the beaten path.

And Bosqueville is where? Stadium is on FM 185 North First blinking light east of Valley Mills on Highway 6 take a a left. Cann't miss it.
We have Mickey D's, Sonic, Subway, Travinos Mexican all along FM 1637 (The main highway through CS).. also La Fiesta in BOSQUEVILLE further down past the Waco Regional Airport. Also the usual fair in Waco. Have a big enough parking lot for tailgating too too

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
The Slot T gonna get blowed up. Brownwood by 21.

Brownwood 35-14

Sorry Rocket, we dont' do that any more.

Eagle 1
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Boy this sure is a quiet thread.
Either some people haven't found it at the top of the page, or......some people are just worried about losing.
I'm not sure which.

Bosqueville
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
And Bosqueville is where? Stadium is on FM 185 North First blinking light east of Valley Mills on Highway 6 take a a left. Cann't miss it.
We have Mickey D's, Sonic, Subway, Travinos Mexican all along FM 1637 (The main highway through CS).. also La Fiesta in BOSQUEVILLE further down past the Waco Regional Airport. Also the usual fair in Waco. Have a big enough parking lot for tailgating too too

I meant that in all due respect Rabid. For those coming in from Bwd that have never been to CS it's not like trying to find Waco ISD.

Eagle 1
09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I think the easiest way to get there is to take Hwy 84 to McGregor, go north on 317 until you get to Crawford. Take 185 east/north from Crawford, cross hwy 6 and the stadium will be on the left a few miles down the road.

Bosqueville
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I think the easiest way to get there is to take Hwy 84 to McGregor, go north on 317 until you get to Crawford. Take 185 east/north from Crawford, cross hwy 6 and the stadium will be on the left a few miles down the road.

Yes I agree with you only if you are not planning to eat somewhere before the game. Not much once you leave McGregor.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Also Rusty Star BBQ right at the intersection of Highway 6 and FM185.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Lots of places to eat at Central Texas Market Place at intersection of Highway 6 and I-35 and downtown at Franklin and University Parks Drive.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
China Spring. The Defense is very much like Brownwoods last year, bends but doesn't break and very,very good at creating turn overs. Senior laden and lots of speed.
Offense runs the tried and true China Spring spread that has been successful for years. No big bodies but lots of good football players with above average speed. Two Senior starters with lots of Juniors and Sophmores.
Kicker/punter-exceptional for high school level.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
sorry for repost.

Tin Cup
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM
My first Brownwood game this year!

Brownwood 35
China Spring 28

Bosqueville
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
My first Brownwood game this year!

Brownwood 35
China Spring 28

Me too!

91 lion
09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Brownwood 35
China Spring 20

hollywood
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
4th for me. :clap:

Brownwood 42
China Spring 24

garciap77
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/bedtime-1.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/bedtime-1.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/bedtime-1.gif

garciap77
09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/bump2-1.gif

Bosqueville
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Cougar Stadium

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=56

watz4dinner
09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I am sure that the cougars will not roll over this year. Last year, the Lions humiliated the foootball players and coaches of CS. Im not saying that the cougars will win this one, but the Lions will know that CS came to play. My hope is that it tests both teams mentally/physically and nobody gets injured going into district. Good Luck and safe travel to ALL.

regaleagle
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
All indications point to Brownwood winning this one by at least 14 pts. This is a likely DII Region 1 playoff contender(Brownwood) against a likely DII Region3 playoff contender in China Spring. Since Argyle is DII-Region 2, looks like Brownwood could be a possible round 3 opponent. Seeing how Brownwood handles this team is of some interest. Of course, there's still the rest of the season, but 2 playoff contenders from different regions is still worth noting. My opinion is the jury is still out on China Spring at this point. That's why the game is played. Good luck this Friday to both teams in a clean and hard-fought game.

garciap77
09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
This thread sucks without ROCKET!:evillol:

LIONS#1
09-21-2011, 09:44 PM
:1popcorn:Yes...yes we miss our caped crusader.....Where oh where can our Rocket be???...Oh where oh where can he be????
LMAO

Black_Magic
09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSc0XlI1a0&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active
:1popcorn:Yes...yes we miss our caped crusader.....Where oh where can our Rocket be???...Oh where oh where can he be????
LMAO here I will smoke him out... It because Brownwood got beat 66-0 by thier rival and he talked so much mess. He got food poisoning from all the crow he ate.:clap:

garciap77
09-22-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSc0XlI1a0&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active here I will smoke him out... It because Brownwood got beat 66-0 by thier rival and he talked so much mess. He got food poisoning from all the crow he ate.:clap:

:eek::eek::eek:

Daddy D 11
09-23-2011, 02:16 PM
i'll be there tonight
bright green tshirt with a huge deer head on the back
get at me!

Daddy D 11
09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
got a guestion though: all this talk from the brownwood folks bout china running the slot t?? when did they do this?

because when i was in school they ran the spread. and that's only been a couple years, same coach is still there too if im not mistaken. so did they change??? or what?

hollywood
09-23-2011, 03:44 PM
got a guestion though: all this talk from the brownwood folks bout china running the slot t?? when did they do this?

because when i was in school they ran the spread. and that's only been a couple years, same coach is still there too if im not mistaken. so did they change??? or what?

I think what some are calling the slot-t are thoughts from last year. CS attempted a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme to TRY and keep the ball away from the Lion O. Didn't happen, kinda like we couldn't execute the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme against S'ville this year. It looked more like Monahans style of O. Doesn't work when you're up against a great D that has an explosive O.

wtxfootball08
09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
China Spring by 14

LionFan72
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I really didn't pay much attention to what they "ran" last year, most of the game was spent running behind a maroon uniform down field.

Halftime 7-7 tie!

hollywood
09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
China Spring kicks a go ahead FG to take the lead 10-7 in the third.
Kevin Vacarro takes the kick off 102 yards to regain the lead.
14-10 BW to start 4th qtr.

Bosqueville
09-23-2011, 11:54 PM
What a nailbiter!! Came down to the last few seconds. Brownwood pulls it out 21-17. Lost several players due to injury including the quarterback.

bleedsbabyblue
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
that was one of the strangest games i've ever witnessed. it was also a great game to watch as a fan! putting all of the officiating issues aside (and there were many), it was still very winnable for the cougars. the KO return for a TD was a killer, but the great field position on two brownwood drives for TDs was the difference in the game. i saw improvement on both sides of the ball for the cougars. defense only gave up 14 points on short fields. just heard that it was an inadvertent whistle by an official that cost the cougars the TD in the 3rd. with everything else being the same, the game should have been tied at the end of the 4th. oh well, that's life. congrats to the lions tonight on a hard-fought victory. hope your QB is ok. cougars showed the faithful something tonight! can't wait for district to begin!

Bosqueville
09-24-2011, 12:13 AM
You're right. The officiating was horrible. I have no idea how many penalties Bwd had but it had to have been over 100. It was strange to see both coaching staffs out on the field telling the officials what to do...

Rabid Cougar
09-24-2011, 07:28 AM
For the inadvertent whistle that took away a Cougar TD in the 3rd, China Spring would have been kicking the winning field goal with 1:30 to go in the 4th instead of throwing into the endzone.

Tin Cup
09-24-2011, 08:20 AM
For the inadvertent whistle that took away a Cougar TD in the 3rd, China Spring would have been kicking the winning field goal with 1:30 to go in the 4th instead of throwing into the endzone.

The refs were horrible and we all know it. The refs didn't cost you 6 points on that drive, your coach did. 4th and 1 after you are getting 7 yards a carry was a very very bad decision to kick the field goal. You could have easily scored on that drive.

Here's my bottom line: The refs stunk but both teams had their chances, neither deserved to win, and at times both deserved to lose. Very entertaining but very sloppy game. Good luck to the Cougs

LionFan72
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
The refs were horrible and we all know it. The refs didn't cost you 6 points on that drive, your coach did. 4th and 1 after you are getting 7 yards a carry was a very very bad decision to kick the field goal. You could have easily scored on that drive.

Here's my bottom line: The refs stunk but both teams had their chances, neither deserved to win, and at times both deserved to lose. Very entertaining but very sloppy game. Good luck to the Cougs

Scanning the board this morning, seems that he officials are becoming a bigger part of the game. Our game was awful, Wimberly-Sealy was apparantly awful. Is this a result of UIL taking over the refs?? Just wondering??

bwdlionfan
09-24-2011, 09:09 AM
CS had a ton of success running the ball, I wondered why they threw the ball on their last three plays, and in the third they probably could have converted that 4th and 1 instead of kicking the field goal.

Then again our starting QB probably would have seen #21 wide open in the end zone when we went for it on 4th and 8 and threw to a covered receiver that might not have even gotten a first down had he caught the ball.

Neither team looked very good. We've got a long way to go.

Oh, and the refs were terrible, for both teams

Rabid Cougar
09-24-2011, 09:42 AM
It was a playoff atmosphere. Source on the field told me that the noise on the field was extremely loud. Lots of flinching in the interior line on both sides, which was obvious with at least 10+ motion calls ( 3 of CS first three plays from scrimmage) . The Coug defense played its usual stellar game, only gave up 14 to Brownwood; allbeit BW was without its No. 1 qb. ( BW could not pass after that) The biggest suprised was that CS pretty much ran at will on BW.

I disagree that neither team deserved to win. That takes away from Brownwoods win and is pretty much a slap in the face to China Spring. Basically saying that Brownwood's win by only 4 was because Brownwood played bad and not that China Spring played the socks off of them. Brownwood won.

The Coach went for the field goal because BW had not done anything against CS's D all night. He had confidence that BW could not sustain a drive against them.

Bad play calls, refs, missed plays/assignments aside, three plays made the difference in this game 1. BW QB getting knocked out of game.( completely changed the dynamics of BW play selection.)
2. Inadvertant whistle on CS 60+ yard TD run. 3. BW 102 yard KO return. The biggest in my opinion was the KO return.

I don't know about all the worries about the size of the visitor stands in prior discussions. There was plenty room left over once the BW faithful got there.

Bosqueville
09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I was a little surprised by the size of Bwd's turnout. I guess there's still some hangover from the Stephenville game. I will say this, the Bwd fans did make some serious noise in the second half!!

bwdlionfan
09-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't know about all the worries about the size of the visitor stands in prior discussions. There was plenty room left over once the BW faithful got there.

Had we played in CS last year, the stands wouldn't have held but about 1/2 to 3/4 of our fanbase... the fans aren't traveling as well this year, we have a lot more fans travel when we are ranked #1.

As for last night, the visiting side was adequate, though I was wondering if CS has had some failed bond elections to increase capacity, especially on the home side, I bet it's pretty packed over there every week.

Rabid Cougar
09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Had we played in CS last year, the stands wouldn't have held but about 1/2 to 3/4 of our fanbase... the fans aren't traveling as well this year, we have a lot more fans travel when we are ranked #1.

As for last night, the visiting side was adequate, though I was wondering if CS has had some failed bond elections to increase capacity, especially on the home side, I bet it's pretty packed over there every week.

No failed bond election. Just the band taking up a quarter of the stands. Local contractor wanted to donate a seperate grand stand for them to move them out of the existing stand but Super turned it down. Wanted the band to remain "in the crowd". We do have our share of fence standers. I suggested we rent sections of fence like we do reserve seating. With aminities such as cup holders and "arm rest".

bwdlionfan
09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
No failed bond election. Just the band taking up a quarter of the stands. Local contractor wanted to donate a seperate grand stand for them to move them out of the existing stand but Super turned it down. Wanted the band to remain "in the crowd". We do have our share of fence standers. I suggested we rent sections of fence like we do reserve seating. With aminities such as cup holders and "arm rest".

Looks like they would have compromised and just put the new stands adjacent to the existing bleachers.

I enjoyed the CS band last night, they were great last year as well in their marching routine.