PDA

View Full Version : What does the rule say?

Chief Woodman
09-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Ever wondered what the rules say about football action? Illegal procedure? Fair catch? Offsides?...etc....

You can look at the rules for yourself...for free. When you have a question you can see for yourself. They are available at ncaa.org

Just click on the sports link...then football....then playing rules...and have fun.

Cameronbystander
09-02-2003, 03:15 PM
You mention Illegal Procedure. A friend of mine is an SEC official and the term illegal procedure is a pet peeve of his. There is no such thing as an illegal procedure penalty. All infractions are illegal procedures that result in a penalty flag.

Announcers usually use the term illegal procedure for offensive movement (false start) or when the same indication is given for an illegal formation.

But you are right, it is neat to actually know the rules and to have access to the information.

Thanks

Chief Woodman
09-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Cameronbystander, your post is a good example of why I gave the link. You quote a friend and what he told you. Is he right...or wrong? I do not know him and do not know if he is mistaken or correct. Obviously, you take him at his word.

But what does the rulebook say? Is he right or wrong? I hear officials with mikes on say "illegal procedure" all the time. These are officaials, not announcers. So who is right? What does the rules say? So I went and looked......

Page FR 136...this is one of the pages that shows the hand signals used by officials.....Signal #19 has the words "Illegal procedure" underneath it. Maybe your friend isn't so right......

crzyjournalist03
09-02-2003, 06:11 PM
gee, for some reason, that first post sounds like a cheesy advertisement that would be on TV.

sinton66
09-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Are you saying Chief Woodman sells SIDING on the side? :D

Cameronbystander
09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
I went to the site and it is excellent. However, you were incorrect with your statement as it relates to Texas High School football and NCAA football. The picture that shows Illegal Procedure also has an NF beside it. This stands for National Federation of High Schools. Quite a few states use National Federation of High Schools rules not NCAA.

I was an official in Mississippi for 7 years and it is a valid signal there because they use NF rules but as I said my friend is both a high school official (officiated 3 state championships; one with me) and a college official (Gulf South and now SEC).

I wish more people would use the web site you found before bashing officials. Thanks again.

Chief Woodman
09-03-2003, 11:10 AM
LOL...It did sound like a cheap commercial.. HEY! maybe I should start writing commercials.....LOL

Thanks for clearing up the "NF" I had no idea what it stood for. Hope you are right cammeron about folks using that site...if folks will take the time to read the site, there might be less "The refs screwed us" talk. However when a ref does blow a call, there will be little wiggle room for him. Hope it is informative for everyone.

crzyjournalist03
09-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Chief Woodman:
LOL...It did sound like a cheap commercial.. HEY! maybe I should start writing commercials.....LOL

Thanks for clearing up the "NF" I had no idea what it stood for. Hope you are right cammeron about folks using that site...if folks will take the time to read the site, there might be less "The refs screwed us" talk. However when a ref does blow a call, there will be little wiggle room for him. Hope it is informative for everyone.I wouldn't make a career out of it...then when people ask questions like "Why is Darren Woodson doing an Accident, Injury, and Pain commercial," you'd have to be the guy that says, "that was my idea"