PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Red

Tejastrue
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
A local high school not far from us has installed a red turf. Will this be a trend? I hope not, at least for class 3A.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/canyonlake/canyon-high-school-opponents-seeing-red-1849263.html

bigwood33
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I would NEVER schedule them for non- district. I hate that stuff and think that red helmet, red jerseys, red pants and red shoes on red turf is an unfair advantage. I know that some folks will say that you can do that with green but we are accustomed to seeing green backgrounds and our eyes are trained for making this adjustment, although I think a case can be made that kids can get lost in the "sea of green" but this is an artificial "home field advantage". I hope they have heck getting non- district games.

Tejastrue
09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I would NEVER schedule them for non- district. I hate that stuff and think that red helmet, red jerseys, red pants and red shoes on red turf is an unfair advantage. I know that some folks will say that you can do that with green but we are accustomed to seeing green backgrounds and our eyes are trained for making this adjustment, although I think a case can be made that kids can get lost in the "sea of green" but this is an artificial "home field advantage". I hope they have heck getting non- district games.

My understanding is that it is more expensive than traditional green and to me is just a waste of money. I guess the kids thought it would be cool. Someone had to vote on it so my guess is the parents were swayed by the kids and so on. Don't believe I could ever get used to it. Notice the article did not mention any opinions of the NB Canyon coaches.