PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Facebook And Social Networks

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Like most I am on FB( actually was on it way back when u had to have a school email addy to sign up)..I dont say much on it, I comment on other people's stuff and read and that is about it...At times I think I should cull my friends list or stop going on FB but then this happens

A couple of months ago an old friend found me thru facebook...Him and his brother and two cousins and I played baseball together from teeball to HS and we spent many a summer nights over at each other's house..Our parents were close and they were like family...but as we got older like everything else we grew apart and had not talked in 15 years or so..Well he found me on FB and we chatted about where life has taken us..He had been living in Thailand as a dive instructor..he came to Marshall this weekend and we had plans to meet and have a couple of drinks before he flew out of Dallas when he was headed back...Well late sunday night he was killed in a wreck. I hate we never got to meet, but I am thankful for us reconnecting at least to a point..Without facebook that never happens..So tonight I will pour a drink out for my friend and remember the good times and I am thankful we at least chatted before this happen

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I can't stand all this "Like" of a certain page, brand, movie, or phrase from a movie/tv show.

Tejastrue
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Regarding FB, there are positives but so many negatives. Why people would want to subject themselves to basically worldwide ridicule should a relationship go wrong, a mistake or bad decisions an individual might make or tell people where they are 24 hours of the day. I'll never get that. People have been stalked (and much worse) and homes have been robbed using FB/TWTR as a tool of the trade. JMO...

TXB, so sorry for the loss of your friend and all those affected....

bobcat1
09-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Like most I am on FB( actually was on it way back when u had to have a school email addy to sign up)..I dont say much on it, I comment on other people's stuff and read and that is about it...At times I think I should cull my friends list or stop going on FB but then this happens

A couple of months ago an old friend found me thru facebook...Him and his brother and two cousins and I played baseball together from teeball to HS and we spent many a summer nights over at each other's house..Our parents were close and they were like family...but as we got older like everything else we grew apart and had not talked in 15 years or so..Well he found me on FB and we chatted about where life has taken us..He had been living in Thailand as a dive instructor..he came to Marshall this weekend and we had plans to meet and have a couple of drinks before he flew out of Dallas when he was headed back...Well late sunday night he was killed in a wreck. I hate we never got to meet, but I am thankful for us reconnecting at least to a point..Without facebook that never happens..So tonight I will pour a drink out for my friend and remember the good times and I am thankful we at least chatted before this happenSad deal TXB. Sad deal. I don't have a Face Book account. I wouldn't have time for one. I guess I would if I gave up my 3 football forums, fishing forum or hunting forum.

Farmersfan
09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
The pending Facebook IPO is projected to be the richest ever and should exceed 1 Billion dollars. Not bad for a company that offers no product............

Farmersfan
09-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I also just recently was contacted on FB by a family that I grew up with in Florida before we moved to Texas in 1972. I was 11 years old the last time we had seen each other and then all of the sudden I get a private message about a month ago asking if I remember them. This is one of the awesome benefits of Facebook.

GrTigers6
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I met several people that I went to school in Allen with back in the 70's and early 80's. Hadnt sen them in 23 years but have seen several and kept up with several more since, I agree that people, ( my kids included) go crazy with it sometimes, You just need to know what to post and what not to post and its a good tool. Plus sometimes that sthe only way I know what my kids are thinking half the time. LOL

jason
09-13-2011, 01:57 PM
everybody go 'like' the facebook page for legends country club in stephenville

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legends-Country-Club/195263293820286

trojandad
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
The pending Facebook IPO is projected to be the richest ever and should exceed 1 Billion dollars. Not bad for a company that offers no product............

reminds me of when yahoo went public at almost $150/share, then within 2 years those same friends begging me to buy in the beginning couldnt get rid of their shares for $25/share...i never get upset leaving money on the table if i cant sleep well having the investment.....

Old LB
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Do not have accounts on any of the social networks, too old fashion I guess. The wife and kids are addicted, sometimes I look up and everyone in the house (except me) is glued to their phone on one network or another. I do not see myself joining in at this point in life but who knows, never say never.

Farmersfan
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
reminds me of when yahoo went public at almost $150/share, then within 2 years those same friends begging me to buy in the beginning couldnt get rid of their shares for $25/share...i never get upset leaving money on the table if i cant sleep well having the investment.....

Or maybe it reminds you of Google that opened at 85.00 and went over 500.00 a share and has never looked back?????

Yahoo has never traded for 150.00 a share. The IPO opening price was 24.50 and it shot up to 43.00 a share in 1 hour. At one point it spiked to about 100.00 a share but quickly fell back to the 20.00 to 30.00 a share price range that it has stayed at pretty much it's entire existence.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=YHOO+Interactive#chart2:symbol=yhoo;rang e=my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on; ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

http://news.cnet.com/Yahoo-IPO-closes-at-33-after-43-peak/2100-1033_3-209413.html

trojandad
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
your right, it wasnt $150, i stand corrected, i was thinkin of another stock offering, but a friend of mine at smith bought at $108 backin 2000 and wanted me on...and your right, much money has been made in comppanies not producing physical products, like google....im just one of those that got a law degree but didnt go into the law simply because it doesnt produce a product one can hang on the wall....but God bless all those that make their moneies in that world.....,\

and back when it was offered to me, it didnt have the 10 year or so history since then of staying in the $25/range, and several articles back then were of every dot.com making billions and hang on for the ride.....you have the luxury now of looking back at the stock ten years later to say it was in the $25 range for the duration, because that wasnt the track record per 2000.....time helps a lot as far as investments go.....makes a lot of us look smart (or dumb).....

ccmom
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Farmersfan, I'm assuming your avatar is a pic of your surprise grandbaby. She's adorbale! Congrats, again~

BLEEDZGREEN
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend TxB.
I use FB but that's it, I have connected with friends I haven't seen or talked to in 30yrs. I like it but I don't post personal stuff, I treat it like work, no religion or politics. I don't post much, I just like to read & will comment every now & then. I use it also to show my friends how my son is doing in football & other sports.

JJWalker
09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
People have sex with your lonely wives because of Facebook.

That may be a positive or a negative. :eek:

Emerson1
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Facebook stalking ftw.

pirate4state
09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Facebook stalking ftw.

Reconnecting lol

Tejastrue
09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Facebook stalking ftw.

:blahblah: Until one becomes a victim. It all remains comical.

Farmersfan
09-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Farmersfan, I'm assuming your avatar is a pic of your surprise grandbaby. She's adorbale! Congrats, again~

Thanks ccmom. I couldn't be prouder. It is amazing how some things work out..

Emerson1
09-14-2011, 08:29 AM
:blahblah: Until one becomes a victim. It all remains comical.
If someone was a victim then they were just to dumb to set all of their stuff to private.

Farmersfan
09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks ccmom. I couldn't be prouder. It is amazing how some things work out..

Sorry everyone! I tried to upload the actually photo but this is what happened.

Tejastrue
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
If someone was a victim then they were just to dumb to set all of their stuff to private.

You actually believe social networks are private? :doh:

Check the box marked privacy... :doh: