PDA

View Full Version : The Navasota Rattlers

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Nice Article:
http://www.brazossports.com/football/Navasota-reloading-with-talented-crop-of-juniors

Navasota reloading with talented crop of juniors

Navasota's football team had to replace its district MVP quarterback, leading running back, and top two receivers this season, which made me figure the Rattlers were going to take a plunge.

Time to recalculate. The Rattlers have dipped into their program to reveal its impressive depth and a talented crop of juniors. Navasota may be good enough to reach the third round of the Class 3A Division I state playoffs for a fifth consecutive season.

Navasota is 2-1 with victories over Madisonville, which won a district title in 3A last year, and over Rudder, a 4A team that thumped the Rattlers last season. Navasota's loss came against Willis, which reached the second round of the 4A Division II playoffs in 2010. The Rattlers were 1 yard from tying Willis on the last play of the game.

"Our No. 1 goal from the first day of two-a-days is to make the playoffs," Navasota coach Lee Fedora said. "I've seen too many teams that really don't play a tough pre-district schedule and then the next thing you know they get in district and they're not ready. I think it prepares us for a district run."

Last spring Fedora was a finalist for the head coaching job at Temple, and he turned down an offer to take over the program at his alma mater, A&M Consolidated. Whatever factors played into his decision to remain with the Rattlers, you can be certain Fedora had a good grasp on the talent running through the Navasota pipeline.

Navasota's varsity coaches work with their junior high and sub-varsity players each day during school, installing the wide-open offense Fedora favors and getting to know the kids. Fedora said he already has players from the eighth and ninth grade on his radar.

Junior quarterback Kadarius Baker had Fedora's attention a couple of years ago, so the coach isn't surprised by how well Baker has taken over for District 23-3A MVP Ian Day. Baker has completed 48 of 81 passes for 770 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions.

Most of Navasota's other ball handlers also are juniors. Running back Howard Horn has gained 9 yards per carry, while Solomon McGinty has 17 receptions for 370 yards with three touchdowns. Austin Collins, another junior, has 15 catches.

"I've talked to many 5A coaches who say they don't know kids' names until their freshman year, but we've known these kids since the seventh grade," Fedora said. "I think that says a lot about how we try to reload every year."

The Rattlers will play on the road against Class 2A Cameron on Friday, then get an extended stretch at home. Navasota will have an open date before hosting Wharton in its final non-district game. The Rattlers' first two games in 23-3A are at home against Rockdale and La Grange.

Bull's-eye
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
One of the best coaches in high school football! Love the interaction between the varsity coaches & the junior high/sub-varsity players. What a great way to run a successful program.

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
One of the best coaches in high school football! Love the interaction between the varsity coaches & the junior high/sub-varsity players. What a great way to run a successful program.

Yes, Coach Fedora and his crew has changed the Rattler program. Rattler Nation now EXPECTS to win. The kids are wanting to play instead of just going through the motion. Now, if we can get the band (who does a fantastic job) numbers back to the 115-150 range and the drill team back to the 35-45, it will be the 80's early 90's all over again.

Chillfan
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Are we going to see a Nav/CH rematch? The Rattlers would be fired up and ready for revenge.

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Are we going to see a Nav/CH rematch? The Rattlers would be fired up and ready for revenge.

Hey, you never know. But, I am not looking forward to that type of beat down again.

Chillfan
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey, you never know. But, I am not looking forward to that type of beat down again.

CH just caught Nav off guard and never stopped. The game would be different this year I believe.

1st and goal
09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I have to agree. I really like seeing what Coach Fedora has done with/for you guys. Sounds like with all the juniors, you guys will really be stacked next year.

IMO, I think the District championship will be decided when Navasota comes to Giddings this year.

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I have to agree. I really like seeing what Coach Fedora has done with/for you guys. Sounds like with all the juniors, you guys will really be stacked next year.

IMO, I think the District championship will be decided when Navasota comes to Giddings this year.

Agreed. And will have to travel to Giddings for that matchup. Should be a good one.

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 09:02 PM
to tt