PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting 3A Down Low

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
First of all, just let me say that this place finally now looks as good as it deserves to. All of the credit in the world should be given to the administrators/owners/moderators for investing not only their money, but their time for taking this message board to the next level.

The amount of growth that the forum maintained over the first years of its inception was tremendous; and admittedly I took for granted that this place would keep growing, expanding, and maturing. After being back for a couple of days, I'm not sure that I can say that any of those things have happened. I've even read posts of members who feel like this place is starting to die off.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with this place or the people who are here. I've always felt like this place could grow so much more than it has, but something is holding us back. There are thousands of fans who go to 3A games all over the state. They read their local sports page every week, sit around and talk about their teams at the coffee shops on Saturday mornings, join the booster clubs and donate time/money to the athletes of the community, and they're just as likely to have a computer or smartphone with access to the internet. Fans are constantly coming together to support and talk about their favorite teams. What I've always wondered is why they aren't here?

I honestly feel like this place has a lot to offer. I don't think that it needs to change, necessarily; but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks? I was looking at the donations that have been received for this month, and nobody has donated. Posting has slowed down substantially, and I really don't see a whole lot of new faces here. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this place doesn't need to be resurrected - but I would love to see this place grow and be the place where people come and talk about and support their children, communities, and schools.

What do you all think?

ccmom
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the donations calculations. I inquired about it last month and was told it is not accurate.

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I dont think this is just a 3ADL problem..alot of the message boards I go to in and out of sports are having bits of lull...I think the whole message board fad is dying a bit..It was so unique for so long that we all took it for granted...I know a ton of people who come to 3ADL to read and never have signed up

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I don't know if that's necessarily the case or not. I think that some people feel like they may not be accepted into the community. And the people who aren't worried about that would rather not join a place where there is incessant name-calling, bashing, and lack of respect for peers/athletes/teams/universities.

I don't think that the message board fad is dying, I don't think that it ever was just a fad. Humans are very social creatures who like to speak, write, read, and listen. I think there are a lot of reasons why message boards are dying off, but I think it's because some people are afraid to speak their opinions and not have someone rip their head off if they disagree. I think it's because some people try to steal the spotlight every time instead of sharing it so other people can express themselves. I'm not talking about here specifically, but I think that it does happen on this message board to an extent. We stopped worrying about ways on how to make people feel welcome and instead worried about ways to prove either "I'm always right" or "My team is better than yours" or "Your college sucks"; and I'm not excluding myself from any of this.

Instead of focusing on things to help bring us together, we spend a lot of time on things that break us apart.

Old&Crusty
09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
When I came here from the 2A boards I was looking for 3A football news and discussion. I find some of that. Insults and fishing for Homers seems to dominate. I believe it keeps many people away. It does me. I'll go ahead and assume the 2A bashing will begin now.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I dont think this is just a 3ADL problem..alot of the message boards I go to in and out of sports are having bits of lull...I think the whole message board fad is dying a bit..It was so unique for so long that we all took it for granted...I know a ton of people who come to 3ADL to read and never have signed upIDK...the message boards I usually read are still alive and popping. I just think people grow tired of how PC this message board has become and you can't see the personalities that made this board anymore.

I still think we need to get back to advertising this board like we used to especially to the fans of all the new teams that are moving into the 3a alignment.

Blastoderm55
09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I think Twitter and Facebook are slowly killing off the message boards. Message board apps help, but the seamless integration of social media into new technology is making it the better choice for people.

LionFan72
09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Mostly, I believe that the masses are unaware that the 3ADL even exist, their loss. A lot more do not own computers, do not want to own computers or smartphones, therefore rely on papers and news for sportscores and info.

Advertising, too expensive....word of mouth, not working. I would gladly support a movement to spread the word......

99IHSMustang
09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I think Twitter and Facebook are slowly killing off the message boards. Message board apps help, but the seamless integration of social media into new technology is making it the better choice for people.

:iagree:

It would be nice to have a 3ADL twitter page, but as is all Moderators are volunteering there time here.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Mostly, I believe that the masses are unaware that the 3ADL even exist, their loss. A lot more do not own computers, do not want to own computers or smartphones, therefore rely on papers and news for sportscores and info.

Advertising, too expensive....word of mouth, not working. I would gladly support a movement to spread the word......10-15 years ago the scenario is probably right....but not now days.

We need to just hand out flyers or something with the URL to the website at games. I saw a commercial on TV where you can get 500 business cards for 10$ just saying.

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
10-15 years ago the scenario is probably right....but not now days.

We need to just hand out flyers or something with the URL to the website at games. I saw a commercial on TV where you can get 500 business cards for 10$ just saying.

We probably only need to get rid of you ... for good. :p :p :D

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
We probably only need to get rid of you ... for good. :p :p :DTalk about going downhill quick...lol

LionFan72
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
10-15 years ago the scenario is probably right....but not now days.

I am of the older generation, and a lot of people my age don't like computers because of whatever reason. And a lot of 3A schools are rural, there is still a big gap in internet access out here in west Texas.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I am of the older generation, and a lot of people my age don't like computers because of whatever reason. And a lot of 3A schools are rural, there is still a big gap in internet access out here in west Texas.I think the age range we need to attack is the 18-40 year olds because that is a huge demographic for this website to reach into. Most of those in that range are the technology age people.

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Talk about going downhill quick...lol

Yeah, you'd be crying in no time...as usual

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, there are definitely fund-raising opportunities out there everywhere. We just need to get together and make things happen.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, there are definitely fund-raising opportunities out there everywhere. We just need to get together and make things happen.3adownlow bake sell at your local wal-marts?

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 01:04 PM
3adownlow bake sell at your local wal-marts? LOL yeah bake sale

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
LOL yeah bake sale:smoker::smoker::cool::blahblah::crazy1:

1st and goal
09-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, I don't know if that's necessarily the case or not. I think that some people feel like they may not be accepted into the community. And the people who aren't worried about that would rather not join a place where there is incessant name-calling, bashing, and lack of respect for peers/athletes/teams/universities.

I don't think that the message board fad is dying, I don't think that it ever was just a fad. Humans are very social creatures who like to speak, write, read, and listen. I think there are a lot of reasons why message boards are dying off, but I think it's because some people are afraid to speak their opinions and not have someone rip their head off if they disagree. I think it's because some people try to steal the spotlight every time instead of sharing it so other people can express themselves. I'm not talking about here specifically, but I think that it does happen on this message board to an extent. We stopped worrying about ways on how to make people feel welcome and instead worried about ways to prove either "I'm always right" or "My team is better than yours" or "Your college sucks"; and I'm not excluding myself from any of this.

Instead of focusing on things to help bring us together, we spend a lot of time on things that break us apart.

Gary, I agree with you. There will be seasonal rollercoaster effects as well as the ebb and flow of team's having off years, but I feel the biggest culprit are those that would just as soon tear your head off if you don't agree with them. Some are just "troll" types and for a normal fan, they would just as soon leave rather than putting up with it. Maybe we need to have the "PMS Troll of the week award" poll, non gender specific. I would tell the Admins/Mods and such, that if you want to get this board's membership up, you will need to start putting the clamps on some. Don't just lock a thread down because of 1 or 2 persons bad apple posts. Edit these posts and send the culprits a warning and let them take it up with the mods/admins. If you take the sum total of these trolls' posts, you end up with a negative, they don't bring anything to the table and only post to condemn others.

I spend time on another forum that is not sports related and it is booming. They have a very good system to report problem posts to a mod, and troll types are quickly weeded out within minutes or are given stern warnings about what to post or not post. Basics are no politics.

I don't doubt many of the arseholes on this site lead alter ego lifestyles ending up in "People of Walmart" emails...

I'm putting on my flame retardent suit now.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
This website has become what HornFans was....we need this to be more like ShaggyBevo.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
I am of the older generation, and a lot of people my age don't like computers because of whatever reason. And a lot of 3A schools are rural, there is still a big gap in internet access out here in west Texas.

By the end of next year, this will no longer be an issue. That's why it's more important now than later to get ourselves more firmly established and well-known. We'll definitely fizzle out if we haven't already separated ourselves.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Gary, I agree with you. There will be seasonal rollercoaster effects as well as the ebb and flow of team's having off years, but I feel the biggest culprit are those that would just as soon tear your head off if you don't agree with them. Some are just "troll" types and for a normal fan, they would just as soon leave rather than putting up with it. Maybe we need to have the "PMS Troll of the week award" poll, non gender specific. I would tell the Admins/Mods and such, that if you want to get this board's membership up, you will need to start putting the clamps on some. Don't just lock a thread down because of 1 or 2 persons bad apple posts. Edit these posts and send the culprits a warning and let them take it up with the mods/admins. If you take the sum total of these trolls' posts, you end up with a negative, they don't bring anything to the table and only post to condemn others.

I spend time on another forum that is not sports related and it is booming. They have a very good system to report problem posts to a mod, and troll types are quickly weeded out within minutes or are given stern warnings about what to post or not post. Basics are no politics.

I don't doubt many of the arseholes on this site lead alter ego lifestyles ending up in "People of Walmart" emails...

I'm putting on my flame retardent suit now.

I mean, really though, the whole thing that you should realize is that if you don't agree with someone that doesn't mean that they're a bad person. And I'm inclined to think you feel that way about some of the posters based on how they present their opinions. I used to have a lot of hard feelings toward a poster known as LE Dad because of how different his opinions were and I never thought much of the guy. But when I found out that he passed away because he used his body as a shield to protect his daughter from being struck by a car, I got a pretty big dose of reality and will always think of him as a completely selfless and loving person. It's wrong to always assume that because you disagree with someone, that they're bad people.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I mean, really though, the whole thing that you should realize is that if you don't agree with someone that doesn't mean that they're a bad person. And I'm inclined to think you feel that way about some of the posters based on how they present their opinions. I used to have a lot of hard feelings toward a poster known as LE Dad because of how different his opinions were and I never thought much of the guy. But when I found out that he passed away because he used his body as a shield to protect his daughter from being struck by a car, I got a pretty big dose of reality and will always think of him as a completely selfless and loving person. It's wrong to always assume that because you disagree with someone, that they're bad people.

I have really missed you!!!! :)

BILLYFRED0000
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I believe that we have too many thin skins myself. This is all fun and games and a little name calling and smack talk. We ran off a lot of our more colorful (and hence enjoyable) posters. There is nothing like a train wreck to attract the masses.
I do not believe we need a trainwreck. But a fender bender or two should definetly be allowed as we are all adults and put up with more than that on our average day at work.

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I do agree people get butt hurt to much when someone disagrees..I know I am different because I like to debate and never understood those who dont, they want their view to be accepted without ever acepting a view that is opposite..I never take it personal when someone disagrees but I also have a group of real life friends that we can debate, argue and get heated but none of us take it personal

Pudlugger
09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Good to know you're maturing BBDE. Thing are more complicated than they may seem at first and life is often unfair. We need to make the best out of the hand we are dealt and appreciate the fact that others are struggling to do the same. It is always good to extend the benefit of the doubt when we disagree on things. Especially the small stuff like high school football.

I think this board has matured as well. We don't have many malignant commentators around anymore, just the usual wise guys who make us laugh. I noticed many new posters this season. This is still the best online community for 3a football information. Many of our posters are very knowledgeable and I have learned much from them. Happy posting!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I have really missed you!!!! :)

Haha, well, I missed you too. And a lot of the people here. From the looks of it, some of them haven't been back on here, either.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I believe that we have too many thin skins myself. This is all fun and games and a little name calling and smack talk. We ran off a lot of our more colorful (and hence enjoyable) posters. There is nothing like a train wreck to attract the masses.
I do not believe we need a trainwreck. But a fender bender or two should definetly be allowed as we are all adults and put up with more than that on our average day at work.

I have to agree!! I miss Keith7, I miss Adidas, and even though he wasn't banned, I miss kepdawg!! I tend to be too lax and when I am, I read, "if P4S were still here, or kepdawg, this would never happen," and then when I close a thread or move it, I read, "why close the thread or move it, why not just move the offending post?" And when I move the offending post I get slammed with PM's..."why did you move my post and and not move so and so's post..waa waa waa". Whiney men drive me crazy......us "girls" always get along...what is wrong with this picture????:p

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I miss keith :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I have to agree!! I miss Keith7, I miss Adidas, and even though he wasn't banned, I miss kepdawg!! I tend to be too lax and when I am, I read, "if P4S were still here, or kepdawg, this would never happen," and then when I close a thread or move it, I read, "why close the thread or move it, why not just move the offending post?" And when I move the offending post I get slammed with PM's..."why did you move my post and and not move so and so's post..waa waa waa". Whiney men drive me crazy......us "girls" always get along...what is wrong with this picture????:p

There's nothing wrong with this picture. It just confirms what I've seen all along, that women always stick together and talk about men instead.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, not always. Some of them have gotten into fights over me. :)

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
IDK...the message boards I usually read are still alive and popping. I just think people grow tired of how PC this message board has become and you can't see the personalities that made this board anymore.

I still think we need to get back to advertising this board like we used to especially to the fans of all the new teams that are moving into the 3a alignment.

Refresh my memory...had did we advertise this board before???

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Why do you still even bother asking Casey how or why? You should know better by now it's just easier to just let it go and move on haha.

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2011, 01:58 PM

As far as I know I am the only one to produce a 3ADL commercial..I shared it with others

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Why do you still even bother asking Casey how or why? You should know better by now it's just easier to just let it go and move on haha.

I thought he was being serious and I just forgot what we did.

As far as I know I am the only one to produce a 3ADL commercial..I shared it with others

I used to buy a quarter page ad in our football program and advertise the 3adl there. I have business cards and if I went to an out of town game, I would leave some at a convenience store. I would gladly supply flyers to posters if they wanted to hand them out/leave them at a convenience store, when they went to an out of town game.

As good as this site is....there are SO many 3A schools that have no clue of it's existence.

coach
09-12-2011, 02:32 PM
part of the problem is the new look. i hate it and i always have prob. with it. the old look was wat better. if it aint broke dont fix it...

MGAR
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
part of the problem is the new look. i hate it and i always have prob. with it. the old look was wat better. if it aint broke dont fix it...

Sometimes you gotta fix it or it will break.

coach
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Sometimes you gotta fix it or it will break.

and sometimes when you do fix it then it does break, which i think is what happened here

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
and sometimes when you do fix it then it does break, which i think is what happened here

I don't think we had much choice...if it's obsolete and we are pretty much forced to upgrade, what else can you do??

Even though the new look is "cool", I prefer the old board layout myself. My computer at home darn sure liked it better. At work it's okay, but at home, my computer takes FOREVER to load anything on this board for some reason.

1st and goal
09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I miss LEDAD too. RIP.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I miss LEDAD too. RIP.

Ditto and ditto!! :(

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
"You're all just a bunch of sissies!" - Remember the Titans.

LHPM always said, the board is what you make it. I really haven't felt like making much of it lately; thus it sucks. :D

hollywood
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I agree. Good board! Just a few who have THIN skin. I think for some, they take it WAY too serious. It's humorous to me that some get so darn frustrated. I usually get a laugh or two each day I read. People need to lighten up and get a since of humor!

LE Dad kept me rolling. Miss him. RIP.

I'm willing to help promote the site in anyway.

gtownfan
09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
It's obvious why the activity on here has dropped off. The buffs switched coaches and everyone loves our new one. Used to get tons of traffic bashing the old. That topic generated a lot of activity!

OldNavy
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM

There should be more west Texas people signing up, because of the burn ban, smoke signals have stopped getting the news out.

OLE'BULL
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I am sure it has been done in the past, but how about a "membership drive". Everyone commit to sending the 3adownlow link, info, etc. to at least 10 prospects who you think would consider joining and benefiting this great board. Then, you commit to at least following up with them to ask them why they did/didn't join. At least we can get some feedback and hopefully grow from it... Maybe im just fishing for whales, but i would do my part... I was a member dating back to 2001, got off for a few years but still "trolled", and am now back. The downlow must be doing something right. Lets spread the wealth.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Refresh my memory...had did we advertise this board before???I don't mean like billboards and such...but we used to do a lot of promoting with the state bound t-shirt and other things and more outgoing about the board and getting its URL around.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought he was being serious and I just forgot what we did.

I used to buy a quarter page ad in our football program and advertise the 3adl there. I have business cards and if I went to an out of town game, I would leave some at a convenience store. I would gladly supply flyers to posters if they wanted to hand them out/leave them at a convenience store, when they went to an out of town game.

As good as this site is....there are SO many 3A schools that have no clue of it's existence.That is what I meant when I said hand out flyers or business cards to the new schools to 3a when your team plays them.

1st and goal
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
It's one thing to smack talk and promote your team. It's another to get personal and start name calling. I'd like to see the latter get curtailed. Anyone can tell when its done in jest and spirited fanship.

Old Tiger
09-12-2011, 04:33 PM
It's one thing to smack talk and promote your team. It's another to get personal and start name calling. I'd like to see the latter get curtailed. Anyone can tell when its done in jest and spirited fanship.Not really because I do it all the time yet people take it so serious. I never understood why they continue to take it so serious.

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM
It's obvious why the activity on here has dropped off. The buffs switched coaches and everyone loves our new one. Used to get tons of traffic bashing the old. That topic generated a lot of activity! LOL

Have I mentioned that I hate this new feature that requires you to type in more than 4 characters...wth is that about?!?!

trojandad
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
the advertisement of the board needs to be done in the junior highs, not the high schools......THAT is where the fresh bunch of "moms of the week" and "booster club dads" are coming from....theyll be here long after their kids have graduated high school.....

eagles_victory
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
I could write a lot about this because me and Yoe_09 had a similar conversation recently in chat.

First, evolution stuff just plays out and goes away throughout times things change and people change. The "core" posters have kind of moved on to different points in their lives and while they enjoy high school football it does not hold the priority it once did. I think I can speak for a lot of people on here (although I probably shouldn't) when I say HS football is not as important to them right now as it once was. For me, I still love it but my interest isn't what it once was even though I am getting a lot more into it right now and going to a lot more games. Just look at myspace it ran its course and it was done that is what internet websites kind of do , and while the downlow is still alive and well it feels like a big part of it has died throughout time.

The community family like atmosphere is gone. From when I joined in 05 until 07 or 08 this place felt a lot like a family. It wouldn't be weird for me to talk to Rita or Gary or Kellye on Myspace or Yahoo messenger and there were many here I considered good friends nearly as close as my friends I would see regularly. That just isn't the case now. Meet and greets aren't what they once were. Perfect example Gilmer Liberty Hill 07 that had to have at least 30 downlowers there. Now the meet and greet concept is almost non existent.

Too many menacing troll like posters are here now. Being a homer is fine or stirring the pot is fine when done in a proper way, but now some of the trolls and annoying posters are so bad it kills the credibility of the board.Instead of constantly being annoyed by the annoying posters of the board people just don't come back or don't even bother.

The board never expanded throughout Texas. There use to be tons of South and West Texas towns with many posters, but it never really grew to other areas of the state. Sure there is a Gilmer and Celina stronghold of posters. But for me, a Fairfield poster there isn't a poster from one town in our district and I think the Lorena guy is the only poster from the 19 3A district. When all you get on here and read about is Cuero/Brownwood/Celina and the chance of you seeing any of those teams is 0 what interest do you really have in staying around.

Age demographics of posters. The high school student poster is no more. I joined in high school. Gary,Casey,Mwynn,Saggy several others joined in HS. While the HS poster never carried the board they always brought an interesting dynamic and prospective to things that really provided a change up from the middle aged posters. This goes back to my above post it seems like the majority of posters are around the same age and many from the same places which really makes it get stale if you don't fit into either one of those groups.

Like Terry said the AWFUL attitudes of some of the posters when it comes to disagreements and debates and they are terrible. Instead of enjoying a debate and trying to state their case people get offended that anyone on this board would have the guts to disagree with them. People cannot just state their opinions they want to try to run you in the ground and rip you to shreds for not agreeing with them. Perfect example, I supported the Miami Heat in the NBA finals and I had a poster tell me that I lost all credibility on this board during the finals. When A) I was more than complementary of Dallas the entire series and B) I watch probably 3 to 4 times more NBA than anyone on this board. Perfect example of trying to kill someone for not agreeing with you. Not to mention I have had people be downright rude to me about a few things on here when it was completely unnecessary. Quickest way to run people off is unnecessary rudeness.

No new blood in the administration or leadership of this board. No representation for any other demographic or age group in leadership. When you have people of similar age and culture running things you get many of the same ideas. Too much interbreeding in the power. Not to say the people in power are doing a bad job, because they aren't; however sometimes you have to open things up and try some new things and this board has never been willing to do that with its power structure. For example, Gary would be perfect for an mod job (if he wanted it) Smart guy, sure he gets a little hasty but who doesn't, grew up with the board and the place has always meant a lot to him so he would take it seriously and do a good job. I said that back in 07 or 08. But, the powers to be want people that will fall in line with exactly what they want and not push the envelope and complacency eventually leads to staleness and that is part of the reason this has grown so stale.As I said above, I have always claimed the younger generation of this board need to be represented and it was never granted, so in turn we had lost a lot of the 18-28 demographic on this board. What is sad is that there are a lot of smart, sensible people on this board around that age that have never been given an opportunity.

That is all for now Im sure Ill add some later.

BaseballUmp
09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I could write a lot about this because me and Yoe_09 had a similar conversation recently in chat.

First, evolution stuff just plays out and goes away throughout times things change and people change. The "core" posters have kind of moved on to different points in their lives and while they enjoy high school football it does not hold the priority it once did. I think I can speak for a lot of people on here (although I probably shouldn't) when I say HS football is not as important to them right now as it once was. For me, I still love it but my interest isn't what it once was even though I am getting a lot more into it right now and going to a lot more games. Just look at myspace it ran its course and it was done that is what internet websites kind of do , and while the downlow is still alive and well it feels like a big part of it has died throughout time.

The community family like atmosphere is gone. From when I joined in 05 until 07 or 08 this place felt a lot like a family. It wouldn't be weird for me to talk to Rita or Gary or Kellye on Myspace or Yahoo messenger and there were many here I considered good friends nearly as close as my friends I would see regularly. That just isn't the case now. Meet and greets aren't what they once were. Perfect example Gilmer Liberty Hill 07 that had to have at least 30 downlowers there. Now the meet and greet concept is almost non existent.

Too many menacing troll like posters are here now. Being a homer is fine or stirring the pot is fine when done in a proper way, but now some of the trolls and annoying posters are so bad it kills the credibility of the board.Instead of constantly being annoyed by the annoying posters of the board people just don't come back or don't even bother.

The board never expanded throughout Texas. There use to be tons of South and West Texas towns with many posters, but it never really grew to other areas of the state. Sure there is a Gilmer and Celina stronghold of posters. But for me, a Fairfield poster there isn't a poster from one town in our district and I think the Lorena guy is the only poster from the 19 3A district. When all you get on here and read about is Cuero/Brownwood/Celina and the chance of you seeing any of those teams is 0 what interest do you really have in staying around.

Age demographics of posters. The high school student poster is no more. I joined in high school. Gary,Casey,Mwynn,Saggy several others joined in HS. While the HS poster never carried the board they always brought an interesting dynamic and prospective to things that really provided a change up from the middle aged posters. This goes back to my above post it seems like the majority of posters are around the same age and many from the same places which really makes it get stale if you don't fit into either one of those groups.

Like Terry said the AWFUL attitudes of some of the posters when it comes to disagreements and debates and they are terrible. Instead of enjoying a debate and trying to state their case people get offended that anyone on this board would have the guts to disagree with them. People cannot just state their opinions they want to try to run you in the ground and rip you to shreds for not agreeing with them. Perfect example, I supported the Miami Heat in the NBA finals and I had a poster tell me that I lost all credibility on this board during the finals. When A) I was more than complementary of Dallas the entire series and B) I watch probably 3 to 4 times more NBA than anyone on this board. Perfect example of trying to kill someone for not agreeing with you. Not to mention I have had people be downright rude to me about a few things on here when it was completely unnecessary. Quickest way to run people off is unnecessary rudeness.

No new blood in the administration or leadership of this board. No representation for any other demographic or age group in leadership. When you have people of similar age and culture running things you get many of the same ideas. Too much interbreeding in the power. Not to say the people in power are doing a bad job, because they aren't; however sometimes you have to open things up and try some new things and this board has never been willing to do that with its power structure. For example, Gary would be perfect for an mod job (if he wanted it) Smart guy, sure he gets a little hasty but who doesn't, grew up with the board and the place has always meant a lot to him so he would take it seriously and do a good job. I said that back in 07 or 08. But, the powers to be want people that will fall in line with exactly what they want and not push the envelope and complacency eventually leads to staleness and that is part of the reason this has grown so stale.As I said above, I have always claimed the younger generation of this board need to be represented and it was never granted, so in turn we had lost a lot of the 18-28 demographic on this board. What is sad is that there are a lot of smart, sensible people on this board around that age that have never been given an opportunity.

That is all for now Im sure Ill add some later.

tl;dr

eagles_victory
09-12-2011, 05:34 PM
tl;dr Menacing post like these are exactly what I am referring too.

bobcat4life
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM

I think eaglesqb_14 and me are the only HS posters left, and after this year he will be the only one. Im very suprised that there are not more of us on here. I know that alot of people are regular readers or know of 3ADL but never post. We need to try to get more of them to post. We either need some of the people that dont post any more to start posting again or some new posters on here. After a while it gets boring reading posts from the same people over and over again as their schtick wears out and they become very repetitive. I miss Keith, Kepdawg, bobcat benny, burnet44, P4S and all the posters that dont come here as much or have quit posting all together.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Cody, I am impressed!! That was a very well thought out post and I agree with a lot of what you said!

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I think eaglesqb_14 and me are the only HS posters left, and after this year he will be the only one. Im very suprised that there are not more of us on here. I know that alot of people are regular readers or know of 3ADL but never post. We need to try to get more of them to post. We either need some of the people that dont post any more to start posting again or some new posters on here. After a while it gets boring reading posts from the same people over and over again as their schtick wears out and they become very repetitive. I miss Keith, Kepdawg, bobcat benny, burnet44, P4S and all the posters that dont come here as much or have quit posting all together.

Actually....bobcat benny (or bobcat bennie, as he is known now) is back!! :D

bobcat4life
09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Actually....bobcat benny (or bobcat bennie, as he is known now) is back!! :D

One down, a helluva lot more to go!:thumbsup:

BaseballUmp
09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Menacing post like these are exactly what I am referring too.

haha shut up I was on chat when y'all were talking about it too

BaseballUmp
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I never posted in high school because one of my friends on the old centex board got in trouble for saying something and had to run gassers one day in offseason.

Emerson1
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Not sure how you change it, but the google result you get isn't very good.

Search 3a texas football and all that comes up for the downlow is

3A Down Low
Presents news, forums, teams, mascots, scores, and articles.

If I had to choose one result to click on, it wouldn't be that one.

gtownfan
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Agree with this!

It seems only a few districts are heavily represented, D23 being one of them. If that were not the case, I would loose interest (although I don't post as much as others). Maybe the every other year re-alignment and teams growing up and moving on cause the rivalry atmosphere to be lost and looses posters. I feel lucky that most of the 3A teams in this area have always been here and will be around a long while, thus the natural rivalries will remain. Hopefully that would result in newer contributors.

GrTigers6
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Agree with this!

It seems only a few districts are heavily represented, D23 being one of them. If that were not the case, I would loose interest (although I don't post as much as others). Maybe the every other year re-alignment and teams growing up and moving on cause the rivalry atmosphere to be lost and looses posters. I feel lucky that most of the 3A teams in this area have always been here and will be around a long while, thus the natural rivalries will remain. Hopefully that would result in newer contributors.I agree, Our district is represented by me and an occasional Alvarado poster or two. and thats about it. I know several people who read but dont post. I was one of them back in 08 but thanks to rapidcougar and orangemachine I had to join and voice my opinion.:taunt::D

Emerson1
09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Forney, Burnet and Everman need to drop back down for it to be interesting again.

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Forney, Burnet and Everman need to drop back down for it to be interesting again. burnet is 3A, they just need to become relevant again

Emerson1
09-12-2011, 07:30 PM
burnet is 3A, they just need to become relevant again
They need the Shipley's to move back and have another son. That's how Brownwood did it.

bobcat1
09-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I do not believe we need a trainwreck. But a fender bender or two should definetly be allowed as we are all adults and put up with more than that on our average day at work. We already have a trainwreck named Rocket.:wave:

I do agree people get butt hurt to much when someone disagrees..I know I am different because I like to debate and never understood those who dont, they want their view to be accepted without ever acepting a view that is opposite..I never take it personal when someone disagrees but I also have a group of real life friends that we can debate, argue and get heated but none of us take it personalYou always disagree:taunt:

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2011, 07:40 PM
They need the Shipley's to move back and have another son. That's how Brownwood did it. lol that too

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
For some reason, the downlow has become the board dedicated to seeing who can throw the most demeaning insults to one another. When I first joined, there were disagreements and occasionally some serious name calling, but most of the time there were insults that taken in the humor they were intended. Yeah, some people got feelings hurt, but most of the time, a short chat session, encouraged by the moderators, got everybody back on a track of remembering that most everything here is for self entertainment and not really that serious.

We have been through three weeks of football this year and I have not heard much about any meet and greets at games. I was gonna go watch Carthage and Chapel Hill last week and , when I posted that I was thinking of attending, I was told basically that there would not be a place for me to watch the game. When I suggested that I could stand, it was then kinda suggested that I probably stood to take a crap. What a way to welcome a fellow poster.

I know that it was a poster saying that there was not gonna be much available seating, but it quickly became a rude response to a very simple post.

I do think that this board has alot to offer, and, I can personally tell you that when you need a prayer or a pick-me-up, there are some of the finest people on this board I have ever had the pleasure of hearing from. It is a guarantee that if you just pay a little attention you know who is gonna be "overboard" most of the time and who is a real expert at stirring the pot. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath and consider the source before firing back. People like Rocket will say things to get you fired up because then he can continue to push buttons and bring in the rest of the board. But, Rocket is really not the bad guy he seems to so many. He is a fan and a loud and obnoxious one most of the time, but he is the kind of fan that makes Texas High School Football so much fun.

I have met quite a few posters over the years, at playoff game meet and greets, at Navasota home games, and at playoff games I have attended with other teams. There are many that have my utmost respect. Gary is one of them. I don't agree with him on a myriad of subjects, but he has always been respectful and if I had a problem with anything he said, we could chat or message and work it out. Hell, he even offered to help my daughter move into an apartment in College Station when she started at TAMU. And, before anyone says it, NO, he did not try to take her out.

My point of this rambling is that the board dosen't need fixing, out attitudes need fixing. We have to be tolerant of differing opinions and not take everything so personally. A fight is not very good if both sides are not fighting. State your piece and let the bickering begin, but don't be the one that goes beyond bickering and physical threats or talk about the other poster's family members.

bobcat1
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I personally think it has a lot to do with the economy. Not that people can't afford the board but that they have less time to escape to the board. I also believe as one;s kids graduates some lose interest especially if they have not created friendships on the board. How many miss Mandy, Addidas and his brother, and Aggie John. I do. I also miss LE Dad. He could keep it churning and interesting. I was happy to see Bobcat Benny back. Keith7 was always a laugh in how he supported his Eagles. How about B44?

But with that said there are more out there waiting to join. Sign up if you are reading this. I can assure you most of the smack is just that smack. I have yet to meet a poster I did not like. There are a few I would like to meet like that RykerTX chick or BillyTheKid or whatever she goes by now.:taunt:

I think we get a little PC sometimes but sometimes it is necessary because if you give an inch they will take a mile(Tiger,Casey, Old Blue............) :wave:

I like the new board and I like the old board and am happy with either. It gives me a great place to escape the crap of daily life. So spread the word and enjoy the labors of a few. :2thumbsup

Emerson1
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
We need someone with a funny schtick. The only one we got right now is Rocket, and it's not funny now that he knows Brownwood isn't going all the way.

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
For some reason, the downlow has become the board dedicated to seeing who can throw the most demeaning insults to one another. When I first joined, there were disagreements and occasionally some serious name calling, but most of the time there were insults that taken in the humor they were intended. Yeah, some people got feelings hurt, but most of the time, a short chat session, encouraged by the moderators, got everybody back on a track of remembering that most everything here is for self entertainment and not really that serious.

We have been through three weeks of football this year and I have not heard much about any meet and greets at games. I was gonna go watch Carthage and Chapel Hill last week and , when I posted that I was thinking of attending, I was told basically that there would not be a place for me to watch the game. When I suggested that I could stand, it was then kinda suggested that I probably stood to take a crap. What a way to welcome a fellow poster.

I know that it was a poster saying that there was not gonna be much available seating, but it quickly became a rude response to a very simple post.

I do think that this board has alot to offer, and, I can personally tell you that when you need a prayer or a pick-me-up, there are some of the finest people on this board I have ever had the pleasure of hearing from. It is a guarantee that if you just pay a little attention you know who is gonna be "overboard" most of the time and who is a real expert at stirring the pot. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath and consider the source before firing back. People like Rocket will say things to get you fired up because then he can continue to push buttons and bring in the rest of the board. But, Rocket is really not the bad guy he seems to so many. He is a fan and a loud and obnoxious one most of the time, but he is the kind of fan that makes Texas High School Football so much fun.

I have met quite a few posters over the years, at playoff game meet and greets, at Navasota home games, and at playoff games I have attended with other teams. There are many that have my utmost respect. Gary is one of them. I don't agree with him on a myriad of subjects, but he has always been respectful and if I had a problem with anything he said, we could chat or message and work it out. Hell, he even offered to help my daughter move into an apartment in College Station when she started at TAMU. And, before anyone says it, NO, he did not try to take her out.

My point of this rambling is that the board dosen't need fixing, out attitudes need fixing. We have to be tolerant of differing opinions and not take everything so personally. A fight is not very good if both sides are not fighting. State your piece and let the bickering begin, but don't be the one that goes beyond bickering and physical threats or talk about the other poster's family members.

who said that to you about the Carthage game?

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I also think it has something to do with us being "creatures of habit" therefore we are somewhat resistant to change. I remember when we changed formats back in 2004 to the board we just left....there was a period of adjustment at that time too! In fact, here is a post PPHSfan made in September of 04, I believe:

On the OLD Downlow you could:

Pick a side in a debate and get the other side to tell you why you were wrong.

On the NEW Downlow you:

Pick a side in a debate and the other side tells you to "shut up and quit being stupid"

Sign on and say hi to all of your friends and tell them what was going on in your town.

On the NEW Downlow you:

Sign on and see how many messages you have from the moderators telling you to stop making people cry.

Talk freely about the other hundred or so members and teams, because everyone understood you, and had a good time laughing at themselves.

On the NEW Downlow you:

Write one post making fun of a team, town, or poster...and then spend two hours and sixteen posts explaining yourself to the politicaly correct crowd so everyone can "feel good".

On the OLD Downlow:

There were a handful of members that were a tight knitted community that gathered here to enjoy each others ramblings.

On the NEW Downlow:

Half of those same people have stopped being themselves, and instead have become conformists to the new way of doing things.

What a shame.

:(

Now, I do have to agree with one thing, I don't like having to be so PC all the time, it's just not my style. But on the other hand, I don't see any reason to be just completely rude either.

carter08
09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
this thread is too long so someone just make me a mod or something i'm sure lots of people already mentioned in this thread that me being a mod would fix everything but like i said it is too long to read

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Txbroadcater, I have already forgotten who said it because I pretty much just ignore rudeness. It was one last week's game day thread, I think it was titled "FOOTBALL DAY" or something like that. The person that started the thread asked where people were thinking of going to watch a game and I responded.

garciap77
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I miss LEDAD too. RIP.

:ditto:

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree about missing LE DAD. He was a true fan of his team and would never back down when you challenged his team. And, in real life, he proved to be just exactly that type person when he shielded his daughter from danger and lost his own life. There are some special people in this world and LE DAD was one of them.

trojandad
09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I also think it has something to do with us being "creatures of habit" therefore we are somewhat resistant to change. I remember when we changed formats back in 2004 to the board we just left....there was a period of adjustment at that time too! In fact, here is a post PPHSfan made in September of 04, I believe:

Now, I do have to agree with one thing, I don't like having to be so PC all the time, it's just not my style. But on the other hand, I don't see any reason to be just completely rude either.

i remember before the format change we had a lot of posters from liberty, almost exclusively guys on the high school team....one night they opened a thread titled something like "milfs in our district"....they began describing moms from different schools in graphic details....i let it slide thinkin it was just boys being boys until they finally started describing what theyd do to a certain woman from coldspring, and after hearing the description of the coat a freind called me to let me know the boys were fantasizing doing my boys mom, as nobody else in coldspring had the particular coat they were describing....after getting it handled with the liberty coach at the time he made it clear to his players what hed do if he caught any of them back on a board of any type again....

i got upset with myself after that because i didnt call a halt to THAT stupid of a game until it affected my kids personally, it should have meant the same thing to me before it affected my kids personally...the mods on here did the right thing at the time, banning a few and stopping the thread...i dont know if stopping things like that forces a board into decline and runs people off or not....maybe eagles victory is right and growth on the board calls for a younger mod voice or two....i stay because the choice seems to be made that were gonna have a civil board even at the cost of growth if necessary....and people like ranger mom do a much better job then i would do of trying to put generic "advice" on the open board such as "men whine" and hope those ones get the diverted message without dressing them down in front of their friends in public by explaining the same things they are whining about, they are very guilty of themselves times ten.....

if it goes down (which i dont think it will, but i have been wrong a few million times today) i like the fact of it going down in a moral fashion....i stay here and dont belong to the other boards because i like the decency here.....the other boards, pretty much, anything can and does go....

garciap77
09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I personally think it has a lot to do with the economy. Not that people can't afford the board but that they have less time to escape to the board. I also believe as one;s kids graduates some lose interest especially if they have not created friendships on the board. How many miss Mandy, Addidas and his brother, and Aggie John. I do. I also miss LE Dad. He could keep it churning and interesting. I was happy to see Bobcat Benny back. Keith7 was always a laugh in how he supported his Eagles. How about B44?

But with that said there are more out there waiting to join. Sign up if you are reading this. I can assure you most of the smack is just that smack. I have yet to meet a poster I did not like. There are a few I would like to meet like that RykerTX chick or BillyTheKid or whatever she goes by now.:taunt:

I think we get a little PC sometimes but sometimes it is necessary because if you give an inch they will take a mile(Tiger,Casey, Old Blue............) :wave:

I like the new board and I like the old board and am happy with either. It gives me a great place to escape the crap of daily life. So spread the word and enjoy the labors of a few. :2thumbsup

I miss GO Blue! :D

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2011, 08:32 PM
It's one thing to smack talk and promote your team. It's another to get personal and start name calling. I'd like to see the latter get curtailed. Anyone can tell when its done in jest and spirited fanship.
I can't and won't speak for the rest of the mods or admin & owners, only myself. It's been a long time since I've had the luxury of time enough to read most of what is posted. We have a "report this post" option - always have and always will. If there's something that's in violation of the rules, that's the quickest way to get it addressed.

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes Mom, that is the quickest way to have to get the mods involved. But, there is the option of pm messaging or chat to try and solve the problem like adults. If the parties can act like adults.

orange machine
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I read this board daily and would be lost with out it. I think one of the big reasons it's slowed down is because over the last few years the playoffs and championships have been dominated by east Texas teams and most of their posters are on Smoaky. Back when Liberty Hill, Sweetwater, Giddings and others not from east Texas were winning and making deep runs the board was more lively. It's time for a shift in power and teams other than east Texas need to step up. So in saying all that Celina is gonna win a title this year!!!!

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
try and solve the problem like adults. If the parties can act like adults.
:1omg!: :1omg!: :1omg!: No way!!!!!

sinton66
09-12-2011, 08:56 PM
:1omg!: :1omg!: :1omg!: No way!!!!!

Lord have mercy, that would be a change, huh? LOL

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I knew the minute I wrote that that I had stepped into the twilight zone of message boards---but, just like some of the things that I get in trouble for saying to my wife, it came out before I could edit it. SORRY for the humor in a serious thread.

sinton66
09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I knew the minute I wrote that that I had stepped into the twilight zone of message boards---but, just like some of the things that I get in trouble for saying to my wife, it came out before I could edit it. SORRY for the humor in a serious thread.

Well, we probably SHOULDN'T have laughed, but it was hard not too.:clap:

trojandad
09-12-2011, 09:15 PM

people abuse the pm's too, big bison man....they get told that we just disagree on a point and one party decides they arent finished yet, and fill boxes to the brim with clearly uninvited continued correspondence and the mods have to do cleanup there too....(makes one wonder how the culprit treats a date when THEY say stop).....

i just think its ashamed that someone like ranger mom has to give very valid advice on how to be men.....this is a chat board......people get upset on chat boards.....people get happy on chat boards......people choose not to discuss things further on chat boards.......people choose to chat for days on subjects on chat boards.....people make statements out here they can no more prove than anything while requiring chapter and verse from anyone deciding to present an objecting point of view, and all the while completely blind to their actions....all the complaining about any of these happenings is just mind boggling.....

in my mind there should be two rules out here, keep it clean and dont take each others personal box hostage (the only personal ppty anyone has out here), other than that i think they do a pretty good job of letting the silliness continue in the open rooms without calling many people names out here....i dont know how else id do things here and not be obstructing the usage of the room, to post.....

Ranger Mom
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Every serious thread needs some humor.....no apology necessary!!

bobcat1
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I miss GO Blue! :D;) Only you caught that.

BaseballUmp
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
NWO coming soon.

EV Old Tiger Coach BaseballUmp and Emerson as moderators.

carter08
09-12-2011, 11:59 PM
bring back mandy

b44 as new admin

lief becomes interesting

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 12:31 AM
I do think this site has at times been to conservative and got rid of "characters" who made this site unique

sinton66
09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
I do think this site has at times been to conservative and got rid of "characters" who made this site unique

If the "characters" can't function within the rules, it's not our fault. We can't play favorites. Don't take this thread into questioning our judgement in an open thread folks.

Stats from the main page:
Threads 112,286
Posts 1,597,099
Members 3,004
Active Members 491

These are the largest numbers we have had since I've been here. We've grown every year for all 11 years we've existed. We must be doing something right.

eagles_victory
09-13-2011, 06:49 AM
If the "characters" can't function within the rules, it's not our fault. We can't play favorites. Don't take this thread into questioning our judgement in an open thread folks.

Threads 112,286
Posts 1,597,099
Members 3,004
Active Members 491

These are the largest numbers we have had since I've been here. We've grown every year for all 11 years we've existed. We must be doing something right.

How are you going to decrease in threads and post? Uh oh we just grew again when I posted this... No way in blue hell there are 3,004 active members on here either. Not being rude or blaming you but quoting those numbers to make it sound like this site is booming like never before is a farce.

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Threads 112,286
Posts 1,597,099
Members 3,004
Active Members 491

Awww come on, dont take all of us talking as questioning your judgement, some of the people who are gone were gone before you even took over...If we cant as members have open debate about ways to improve this site then this site will suffer even more. And even you have to admit this year SO FAR the site has nowhere near the buzz or activity that it has had in past football seasons...That is not meant as quiestioning you or anyone else it is us as a 3ADL family trying to figure out ways to get that buzz back.

Take it as a compliment all of us actually care about this site enough to actually think about it and discuss it

OldNavy
09-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Threads 112,286
Posts 1,597,099
Members 3,004
Active Members 491

Still my favorite place. But, I miss WOS87. He used to keep scores updated with district standings. He used to come up with the most remarkable statistics and at the same time was a rip roaring fan of WOS. Perhaps he has gotten busy with work and life, but he was a super-star poster.

The economy may present a problem as well as many who had time to do research and post interesting stuff, may not have that time or energy now. There were a number of posters who came over from the old Pigskin Prep board when it went belly up. Many if not most of them are gone. But this board is here and I think it is hear to stay. So you are doing something right. Keep up the good work.

My only suggestion would be for the region editors to put together a consistent product. Top 10 or 25 in the region each week, district standings each week, Game of the Week (that usually generated lots of discussion why the GOTW was wrong). I am sure it takes a lot of effort to do that, but where else do you find that info consistently in one place, and I think it would bring in people from districts that are not here now because you can't find it anywhere else. I could be wrong though, I sometimes am! And, as you can see I am a big contributor, 500 posts in 5 years.

jason
09-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Threads 112,286
Posts 1,597,099
Members 3,004
Active Members 491

not everything regarding the way the board is run is a personal attack on your judgement...the board is slow this year, and anybody with a brain realizes that...

if something doesn't change, the hat on the front stoop asking for donations isn't going to keep filling up.....

jason
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Awww come on, dont take all of us talking as questioning your judgement, some of the people who are gone were gone before you even took over...If we cant as members have open debate about ways to improve this site then this site will suffer even more. And even you have to admit this year SO FAR the site has nowhere near the buzz or activity that it has had in past football seasons...That is not meant as quiestioning you or anyone else it is us as a 3ADL family trying to figure out ways to get that buzz back.

Take it as a compliment all of us actually care about this site enough to actually think about it and discuss itthis

OLE'BULL
09-13-2011, 08:06 AM
How are you going to decrease in threads and post? Uh oh we just grew again when I posted this... No way in blue hell there are 3,004 active members on here either. Not being rude or blaming you but quoting those numbers to make it sound like this site is booming like never before is a farce.

Re read his post before you blast him. He NEVER said there were 3,004 ACTIVE MEMBERS. 491... Which seems pretty accurate to me. FAIL :stirpot:

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
It is amazing to me the number of people who sign up and then never make a single post.

That being said, kepdawg was in the chat last night!!!!!!:)

trojandad
09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
It is amazing to me the number of people who sign up and then never make a single post.

That being said, kepdawg was in the chat last night!!!!!!:)

havent you seen the same thing in the real world tho?....when i was over the booster club people would sign up but when they were called to help theyd politely decline and never once show up....they signed up for their kids yet didnt expect any input from them was needed....i think many sign up here and think "whew, now my sons school is represented there, next"....none of them would get mom of the week either, thats why you dont understand their actions....:clap:

slpybear the bullfan
09-13-2011, 08:32 AM

This.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
havent you seen the same thing in the real world tho?....when i was over the booster club people would sign up but when they were called to help theyd politely decline and never once show up....they signed up for their kids yet didnt expect any input from them was needed....i think many sign up here and think "whew, now my sons school is represented there, next"....none of them would get mom of the week either, thats why you dont understand their actions....:clap:

I guess you are right! I remember someone starting a post one time asking how we found the downlow...I was surprised how many people had read it for years and only signed up when they felt they just HAD to say something. When I found it, I read for approximately 5 minutes before I joined (it was instantaneous back then) and started posting immediately!

slpybear the bullfan
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Friend, you GET it.

:thumbsup:

gtownfan
09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Is it still a rule that when you sign up that you have to have a e-mail address other than @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com? I had to use my company e-mail address if I remember right (but CSR is setting in also).

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Is it still a rule that when you sign up that you have to have a e-mail address other than @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com? I had to use my company e-mail address if I remember right (but CSR is setting in also).

I think it is....which does deter a lot of people!!

BILLYFRED0000
09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I have to ask mom why that rule is not changed. I think it might have been to keep the riff raff out so to speak but a lot of good people have jobs with no email and no other access. I think it should be reconsidered.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 08:53 AM
I have to ask mom why that rule is not changed. I think it might have been to keep the riff raff out so to speak but a lot of good people have jobs with no email and no other access. I think it should be reconsidered.

If I remember correctly, one of the main reasons is because we would ban someone and they would just make up a new yahoo email address and come right back. Does anyone remember the Cuero kids that one season?? I can't tell you how many times we went through and banned them, and they were posting pure filth on here. That is the main reason that registration isn't instantaneous anymore.

slpybear the bullfan
09-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Hmmm, lots to consider on this thread but I will go back and touch on the comments about facebook and twitter.

I know that a lot of the folks here and on other boards I am on used to be very active, but that activity greatly declined when facebook, twitter, and myspace became the rage. I am not saying it was a place to talk football, but it for sure was a place where you could go and talk about all the non-sports stuff. The non-sports stuff used to be great, but when you can go to facebook and chat or trade posts with all of the people in your circle of influence, mostly people you will see on a weekly basis, then it becomes hard to sit down at the PC at night and log in and spend an hour on BBSs.

Personally, I am not on computers or smartphones near as much anymore because of kids and work. But I completely understand how Facebook/etc is taking away time spent on BBSs.

BEAST
09-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Just my opinion here, but a lot of folks are hurting right now. I know of many without work and little hope of finding any thing close to replacing the jobs they lost. In times like that, many dont have the same robust personality. Those robust posters are what make a message board hop. Just my .02.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I still wish the board was one board..The non sports forum has never felt right

I can see where Facebook has taken some folks away...maybe not all they gone but they dont come here as much..One good thing is realignment always brings a few to the site who are now in 3A.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I still wish the board was one board..The non sports forum has never felt right

I can see where Facebook has taken some folks away...maybe not all they gone but they dont come here as much..One good thing is realignment always brings a few to the site who are now in 3A.

I agree....my team stinks....not really following any other teams closely right now. Non football threads are all I am really interested in posting on right now. When I go to the "other" forum, it's like I am in Siberia or something....I accepted that change, but I NEVER liked it and never will!!!

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I agree....my team stinks....not really following any other teams closely right now. Non football threads are all I am really interested in posting on right now. When I go to the "other" forum, it's like I am in Siberia or something....I accepted that change, but I NEVER liked it and never will!!!

and this is where frustration comes in...I THINK( and I might be wrong) that the majority on here would prefer it go back to the one board format...there was nothing more fun than backing out of a top 10 thread to see a RM thread about how she bought red condoms lol

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
and this is where frustration comes in...I THINK( and I might be wrong) that the majority on here would prefer it go back to the one board format...there was nothing more fun than backing out of a top 10 thread to see a RM thread about how she bought red condoms lol

That's a big reason PPHSfan somewhat lost interest, he liked all one board too!! My interest in this board has lessened over the past year too. Not because of the economy or the board changes.....but simply because of life. My life today is completely different than it was a year ago.

sinton66
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Take it as a compliment all of us actually care about this site enough to actually think about it and discuss it

Uhm, I didn't say it WAS there or that I took it that way, I just said don't take it there (because in discussions like this, some invariably do). And yes, I'm glad many are interested in the board's welfare. I don't think it's a serious problem just yet because we have always grown slowly. Passing out flyers at games is an excellant idea.

And just for general information to the masses, those with free email addresses that use the contact us link to inquire about it have a way to gain membership. I can and do quite often set up accounts manually.

Eagle 1
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Blastoderm55

This.

I agree, the same thing has happened on the 1A board.
I have noticed fewer and fewer posters, but more and more football post on facebook. I actually don't do fb but my wife does. Sometimes she tells me local football gossip that she read on fb before it actually hits the 1A message board.
I also frequent the 2A mb and centex football. I have noticed that posting is way down on those and the hsfootball.com is almost non-existent.

I have other thoughts as to why posting is down, but I will keep those to myself.
It has nothing to do with the administation or mods of the site.

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree, the same thing has happened on the 1A board.
I have noticed fewer and fewer posters, but more and more football post on facebook. I actually don't do fb but my wife does. Sometimes she tells me local football gossip that she read on fb before it actually hits the 1A message board.
I also frequent the 2A mb and centex football. I have noticed that posting is way down on those and the hsfootball.com is almost non-existent.

I have other thoughts as to why posting is down, but I will keep those to myself.
It has nothing to do with the administation or mods of the site.

I don't do the twitter thing, but my facebook hardly ever seems to have anything football related (high school anyway) from my downlow friends. It's almost as if they would rather post their high school football related stuff on here.

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
NWO coming soon.

EV Old Tiger Coach BaseballUmp and Emerson as moderators.http://image.ohozaa.com/i/f40/hulk_hogan__wcw_nwo_wolfpac__0001.jpg

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Bring back free emails and create a forum that the banned members get banished to that anybody can read but the banned member can't read any forum but that one. That would be an entertaining forum now!

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Uhm, I didn't say it WAS there or that I took it that way, I just said don't take it there (because in discussions like this, some invariably do). And yes, I'm glad many are interested in the board's welfare. I don't think it's a serious problem just yet because we have always grown slowly. Passing out flyers at games is an excellant idea.

And just for general information to the masses, those with free email addresses that use the contact us link to inquire about it have a way to gain membership. I can and do quite often set up accounts manually.manually setting up accounts and such in todays high speed world is not good enough IMO. If someone wants on this board it shouldn't take a week to become a member. IMO that is why people register and never post because they long forget about it after the process takes its course. Waiting around for members to join is not the way either...well ALL need to be proactive in this and get moving fast paced.

SintonFan
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM

I agee. Don't forget that the video killed the radio star.

BwdLion73
09-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I dont understand the problem with a sports and non sports forum. I mean it is rarely even enforced. Is this not in the wrong section? Maybe it should go to the donating member forum so paying members can discuss it. :1popcorn:

sinton66
09-13-2011, 11:04 AM
manually setting up accounts and such in todays high speed world is not good enough IMO. If someone wants on this board it shouldn't take a week to become a member. IMO that is why people register and never post because they long forget about it after the process takes its course. Waiting around for members to join is not the way either...well ALL need to be proactive in this and get moving fast paced.

That's very EASY for you to say. You're not the one who has to deal with the malcontents and the spammers. I prefer to fight battles only once, not dozens of times. You of all people on this board should know that.

BILLYFRED0000
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
That's a big reason PPHSfan somewhat lost interest, he liked all one board too!! My interest in this board has lessened over the past year too. Not because of the economy or the board changes.....but simply because of life. My life today is completely different than it was a year ago.
There is something to that mom. I have changed alot too but I would like for this board to regain some of the things that we are talking about. I can see the change in life and I cannot say that I post like I did 2 years ago. But I do still like the board.

LIONS#1
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Bring back free emails and create a forum that the banned members get banished to that anybody can read but the banned member can't read any forum but that one. That would be an entertaining forum now!
:iagree:

garciap77
09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/no.gif

:D

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/no.gif

:DCould you imagine reading what all the banned members post in their forum? That would be awesome!

GrTigers6
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
There is something to that mom. I have changed alot too but I would like for this board to regain some of the things that we are talking about. I can see the change in life and I cannot say that I post like I did 2 years ago. But I do still like the board.That is me as well. When I first started 3 years ago I took everything to heart and then figured out it wasnt worth it. Now I just play along and or stir the pot a little myself. Now Im not saying that I dont occasionally get bent out of shape anymore, but it is rare!

garciap77
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Could you imagine reading what all the banned members post in their forum? That would be awesome!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/t10512.gif

GrTigers6
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Could you imagine reading what all the banned members post in their forum? That would be awesome!It could be called the Venting forum:D

Old Tiger
09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
It could be called the Venting forum:DDB Central! lol

Emerson1
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
As much as I was against it. Separate forums during the season is better.

Hupernikomen
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
IMO 3Adownlow is dominated by the west and south posters. It certainly has a smattering of the other regions on it. S****y's has always appeared to be dominated by East and North Texas and S*****xas is the place to be for Region III. Since the S****xas site started many of us migrated over there as it is specific to our area. We still visit the downlow but just don't do the majority of our posting here anymore. Obviously there are many loyal poster that don't fit my personal stereotype of the 3 major boards that I frequent. Of course this all just my opinion. If I want to know about Carthage I know where to go. If I want to discuss Jasper or WO-S I know where that is at. If it is Sinton or Sweetwater this is where I would come.

Txbroadcaster
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
NVM wrong point

eagles_victory
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Re read his post before you blast him. He NEVER said there were 3,004 ACTIVE MEMBERS. 491... Which seems pretty accurate to me. FAIL :stirpot: Sorry I misread. But really Fail? Do people still use that or are you just someone old trying to be cool or just late?

bobcat1
09-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Bring back free emails and create a forum that the banned members get banished to that anybody can read but the banned member can't read any forum but that one. That would be an entertaining forum now!How many names would you be under in there?:wave:

1st and goal
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I miss bocephus. Geussin he must be dove huntin or sumthin...

it won't let me post in all caps???

carter08
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
make everyone post in comic sans

problem solved

Buff42
09-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Advertising, too expensive....word of mouth, not working. I would gladly support a movement to spread the word......

I only found this site late last year. Been a rabid 3A fan for 25+ years.

Buff42
09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I miss bocephus. Geussin he must be dove huntin or sumthin...

it won't let me post in all caps???

Bocephus is in Longview with the Fitzinator maybe he's on a 4A board now talking about whupping some booty. Haha.

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I advertise the downlow all the time(why? I don't know). Hasn't worked even though I am civilized on other sites.

maybe a name change? 3adownlow is kind of kiddy.