PDA

View Full Version : Wharton Tigers

swosudog15
09-12-2011, 10:23 AM
So how is the Wharton football team doing this year? I know they hired a new coach and paid him a huge salary. How is that paying off? Also as I recall 2 years ago they ran off the Superintendent and High School Principal. How is Wharton doing with their academic rating? I just know all these changes have made a huge difference. I am sure Wharton is 3-0 right now and probably rated an exemplary school district. Anyone have any details?

buff4ever
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I would say the football team is doing better, don't know anything about their acedemics. Why are you asking, where are you coming from? Are you one that got ran off? You have been a member since 08 and have 7 post. What are you fishing for? Do you need to feel better about something? Maybe they should have never changed right, is that what you are looking for.\?

swosudog15
09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I would say the football team is doing better, don't know anything about their acedemics. Why are you asking, where are you coming from? Are you one that got ran off? You have been a member since 08 and have 7 post. What are you fishing for? Do you need to feel better about something? Maybe they should have never changed right, is that what you are looking for.\?

Just been away from the area for a while and was wondering how things were going. I just hear bits and pieces from time to time so was looking for an update. You buff have been a member since 06 and have 1,823 posts.. So What?

Bull's-eye
09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Wharton started the year with a win over Brookshire Royal, but lost their next 2 games. I watched them scrimmage Bellville, looked like a far more disciplined Wharton team heading in a better direction.

swosudog15
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Wharton started the year with a win over Brookshire Royal, but lost their next 2 games. I watched them scrimmage Bellville, looked like a far more disciplined Wharton team heading in a better direction.

A far more disciplined team heading in a better direction?? Losing two straight games to teams they beat last year?? Sounds like they are turning the corner...

buff4ever
09-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Just been away from the area for a while and was wondering how things were going. I just hear bits and pieces from time to time so was looking for an update. You buff have been a member since 06 and have 1,823 posts.. So What?

Goes to show that I don't just get on here couple times a year to stir something up.

I don't know maybe I stir it up all the time. There are certain things that get me going, but mainly love talking and reading about football.

BEAST
09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
A far more disciplined team heading in a better direction?? Losing two straight games to teams they beat last year?? Sounds like they are turning the corner...

Yup, you can really tell you were just wondering how things were going. Bitterness is horrible and easily identified.

BEAST

buff4ever
09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Yup, you can really tell you were just wondering how things were going. Bitterness is horrible and easily identified.

BEAST

So it wasn't just me?

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
lol no

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 08:39 AM

BEAST

Wow, what a touchy group..I guess if you are on the computer all day and post 1,800-3,000 posts, then you can get on here and say whatever you want. I simply asked a question, then when no one would answer I researched Wharton's record and saw they had lost to two teams they beat last year. Stated fact, not opinion. I guess that is not permited..I knew Wharton made a lot of changes and was wondering how or if it was working out

Ranger Mom
09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Wow, what a touchy group..I guess if you are on the computer all day and post 1,800-3,000 posts, then you can get on here and say whatever you want. I simply asked a question, then when no one would answer I researched Wharton's record and saw they had lost to two teams they beat last year. Stated fact, not opinion. I guess that is not permited..I knew Wharton made a lot of changes and was wondering how or if it was working out

I have no idea who you are, don't remember a single thing you have ever posted....but when I read your first post on this thread I thought to myself, "wow, this guy sounds very bitter!"

pancho villa
09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Well he did go to school in Oklahoma.

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
So does anyone have anything relevant to say about the original questions, or does everyone on here just attack people for asking questions??

pirate4state
09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I think this is an experiment directly related to the thread started by BBDE yesterday. :nerd:

Who cares if this poster is bitter? Just answer his questions! :)

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
So does anyone have anything relevant to say about the original questions, or does everyone on here just attack people for asking questions?? Wharton isnt very good, mainly due to lack of athletes, not coaching. They haven't been good in recent memory and won't be until some more athletes come along. They should however take 3rd in the district just because palacios and needville are that bad. Itll be 1 and done for the tigers though.

ExScoop
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Brad Wright is a top notch coach-He was an assistant under Bob Gillis in El Campo and had one sucessfull year at East Bernard before going to New Braunfels Canyon and later to Texas state.

Enrollment is way down at Wharton-and there is a lack of athletes to choose from. They don't have much size but some speed.

If anyone can turn this program around, Wright can. It's just a matter of how long he will stay. The Tigers will probably lose their next two non-district games against El Campo and Navasota.

They should finish third in 29-3A and make the playoffs as another posted stated.

Wharton did enjoy some success when Russell Roberts was coach but that seems ages ago.

I covered all the Wharton games when I was the sports edior at the Journal-Spectator for 25 years-Jesse Crow was also good coach but that's when the Tigers were in 4A.

Johnnypaycheck
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
"It ain't about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."

Wharton's Jimmy's and Joe's aren't like other's Jimmy's and Joe's.

Best of luck to the Tigers!

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
"It ain't about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."

Wharton's Jimmy's and Joe's aren't like other's Jimmy's and Joe's.

Best of luck to the Tigers!

How right you are Mr. Paycheck. But isn't it also about the Jimmy's and Joe's Mamma's and Daddy's, facilities, school pride, community involvement, etc...???

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM
How right you are Mr. Paycheck. But isn't it also about the Jimmy's and Joe's Mamma's and Daddy's, facilities, school pride, community involvement, etc...??? of course it is, but those things are lacking directly as a result of poor performance, no?

The town will have a hard time rallying around a team that's perennially 2-8.

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 10:46 AM
of course it is, but those things are lacking directly as a result of poor performance, no?

The town will have a hard time rallying around a team that's perennially 2-8.

So are you saying that a football team is expected to win with sub standard facilities, poor parent and community involvement, no school pride?? Then the people will jump on your band wagon til you lose again? What happened to supporting your kids just because they are your kids, having pride in your school and community just because that is where you are from, being involved in a booster club because you care about ALL the kids?

Johnnypaycheck
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Got to love the coaching profession. :)

buff4ever
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
this is an awesome thread, swosudog has manageed to double 3 years of post in this one thread, and he/she will not get to the point of what is driving it. That first post was fishing. It is okay, move on, it wasn't you, it was just time. Don't let this bother you or the rest of your career. The people in Wharton are moving in a direction, let's hope it is positive.

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
this is an awesome thread, swosudog has manageed to double 3 years of post in this one thread, and he/she will not get to the point of what is driving it. That first post was fishing. It is okay, move on, it wasn't you, it was just time. Don't let this bother you or the rest of your career. The people in Wharton are moving in a direction, let's hope it is positive.

Buff,

Do you have anything relevant to say about this topic? It seems all you have done is try to bash me on this site. I don't feel I need to get to the point of what is driving anything. This thread was meant to talk about Wharton football and the academic success at Wharton since the adminstrative changes were made. If you have anything intelligent to say about this subject, then feel free. If not, why don't you start a thread about Giddings and talk about them, or do you just hop from thread to thread to see who you can pick on? I hope you decide to share with us your knowledge on the subject, if not then just keep telling everybody how many posts I have.

p.s. I believe this is # 17..

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry # 16..

swosudog15
09-13-2011, 12:20 PM
oops i guess that is #17...Oh wait #18 now..

buff4ever
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
So how is the Wharton football team doing this year? I know they hired a new coach and paid him a huge salary. How is that paying off? Also as I recall 2 years ago they ran off the Superintendent and High School Principal. How is Wharton doing with their academic rating? I just know all these changes have made a huge difference. I am sure Wharton is 3-0 right now and probably rated an exemplary school district. Anyone have any details?

read the post that you posted, and pretend it was written by someone else. That will be hard for you to do given you wrote it, I know. But the sarcasm and mention of high salary and dump assumptions of something you already knew was not right is not called for on here. You knew that they had already lost 2 games to teams they beat last(which you yourself have pointed out atleast twice already) year when you posted it, so why the sarcasm. Are you really dumb, or really pretending to be?

I would rather talk about your # of post than partake in some form of bashing of Wharton and decisions they have made to try and better their school district. If they fealt it necessary to make drastic changes, then they were not in a place they wanted to be in. If the changes don't work, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have tried. If they don't try and change for the better, then what do you want them to do, accept that what they don't like will not ever change?

Once again, if you don't want to discuss what is driving you to be sarcastic and derogatory, then let's waste more time getting your post up.:wave::)

buff4ever
09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Someone smart, and who has time that I don't right at this very moment, see if you can find swosudog's first 7 post. I wonder if they were at the time that the last head coach was asked to leave Wharton ISD. Or if they were about the hiring of the previous head coach of Wharton which may or may not have been around 2008????:)

HEMOTOXIC
09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
read the post that you posted, and pretend it was written by someone else. That will be hard for you to do given you wrote it, I know. But the sarcasm and mention of high salary and dump assumptions of something you already knew was not right is not called for on here. You knew that they had already lost 2 games to teams they beat last(which you yourself have pointed out atleast twice already) year when you posted it, so why the sarcasm. Are you really dumb, or really pretending to be?

I would rather talk about your # of post than partake in some form of bashing of Wharton and decisions they have made to try and better their school district. If they fealt it necessary to make drastic changes, then they were not in a place they wanted to be in. If the changes don't work, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have tried. If they don't try and change for the better, then what do you want them to do, accept that what they don't like will not ever change?

Once again, if you don't want to discuss what is driving you to be sarcastic and derogatory, then let's waste more time getting your post up.:wave::)

Agreed. I thought that he/she was being sarcastic myself.:iagree:

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM
So are you saying that a football team is expected to win with sub standard facilities, poor parent and community involvement, no school pride?? Then the people will jump on your band wagon til you lose again? What happened to supporting your kids just because they are your kids, having pride in your school and community just because that is where you are from, being involved in a booster club because you care about ALL the kids? Most successful towns have the following and community support, the good facilities & the pride because they are successful.

Success breeds success. Which in turn would lead to a much bigger following, more funding = better facilities. Lets face it, its not easy to support a loser. The die hards do, just as most of us on this forum would, but we aren't the difference. Its the occasional fans who come out and see the team when they're doing well that puts a program over the top IMO. More success = more of those kinds of people.

Plus, 2-8 = done before the playoffs. Schools like WC and Sweeny in that district who are consistently in the playoffs have more time to practice, more games to play, more money to be made, more experience to be gained, etc. But it all starts with the athletes. Kind of hard to win when no one goes out for the team.

Again, this is all opinion and I probably have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

pirate4state
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Someone smart, and who has time that I don't right at this very moment, see if you can find swosudog's first 7 post. I wonder if they were at the time that the last head coach was asked to leave Wharton ISD. Or if they were about the hiring of the previous head coach of Wharton which may or may not have been around 2008????:)

On this thread: http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?107951-whats-the-deal-with-wharton-these-past-2-years

buff4ever
09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
On this thread: http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?107951-whats-the-deal-with-wharton-these-past-2-years

Thanks, I knew someone smart would come to my rescue, and that it would probably prove that his/her first 7 post were derogatory in nature. This is not what this site is for. I know I sometimes like to get after some people on here for fun, but I mainly like to read and talk about football w/o solely attacking a school district or players and coaches. Indirectly is going to happen.

swosudog15
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM

So buff, once again you have proven that you have nothing relevant to say about Wharton football or their academic success. Are you the sarcasm police? Have you checked out any of the other threads on here? Mine is the only one with any type of sarcasm? If I say anything I should not on this site, then it is the responsibility of the moderator to let my know. What is your intent? Are you some sort of private detective wannabe?

You said you would rather talk about football, but you have not talked about football on this thread at all. Why are you so defensive of Wharton? What is your interest there? Have you ever lived in the community? Ever had kids that went to school there? My bet is you have no first hand knowledge of the town or school. You are just a passive aggressive that attacks people on the computer. Did you get picked on in school? Is that why you like to attack people on here? Is this some kind of power trip for you? Are you gonna be the savior of the 3A Forum?

So once again, do you have anything relevant to say about Wharton football or Wharton school? You said you would rather talk about football, then talk about football.

swosudog15
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Btw buff, check out the Alvarado post. Plenty of sarcasm on that one. Someone even admited to bashing, and their was even a racial slur...go get'm tiger....

buff4ever
09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=swosudog15;1608571]You said you would rather talk about football, but you have not talked about football on this thread at all. Why are you so defensive of Wharton? What is your interest there? Have you ever lived in the community? Ever had kids that went to school there? My bet is you have no first hand knowledge of the town or school. You are just a passive aggressive that attacks people on the computer. Did you get picked on in school? Is that why you like to attack people on here? Is this some kind of power trip for you? Are you gonna be the savior of the 3A Forum?

QUOTE]

cause you are putting down a school district out of your own bitterness.
none
no
no
some first/second hand knowledge
no
no
no
no

You want to talk football, you or your spouse could not create a winning situation in Wharton, you have a grudge with them b/c they thought someone else could. Move on, where ever you are now hopefully you are winning football games left and right. Maybe we can start a thread about that football team and talk about football. I don't normally drag out these type of back and forths, but your post pissed me off and now this is kinda fun. With the help from pirates4state, I learned that you got on the 3a downlow for exactly what I thought. To defend your spouse/self and blame everyone else. It is a part of the coaching profession. Seldom are you welcome forever as a football coach.

swosudog15
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are way off base..lol..I guess you are a private detective wannabe. Maybe if you spent more time talking about football, instead of trying to figure out who I am, then we could get somewhere. So once again, do you have anything relevant to say about Wharton football or the School District?

hookandladder
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, I am a little confused why Buff4ever is on swosudog15. I followed the old tread and Wharton45 started the tread about the coaches, I did not see anything wrong with swosudog15's comments. Fill me in Buff4ever as why you are on his case, I must be missing something.

R4Editor
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM

buff4ever
09-14-2011, 01:47 PM
dang it, I was done posting on the thread. Leave it to a LG peep to not understand things. My main beef was that this thread was started with an underlying theme. Swosu just wanted to stir up stuff, and make Wharton School district look bad. Have you read swosu's first 3 or 4 post on this thread. Only intention was to dog Wharton ISD. I then assumed since Swosu had been on this board for 3 years and had only posted 7 times prior to starting this thread, that the sole reason swosu got on this board was for personal protection or to attach individuals or the school district.

If you read the only other thread that swosu has ever posted on, pulled out of archives by pirates4state, swosu seemed to be pointing out (i didn't waste much time reading them) that individuals had quit college ball. Not the worse thing that swosu could post in that thread, however if Swosu wants to talk football on this board let's talk football w/o degrading a school district or players.

I know I make some comments on here about LG in fun, but that is in fun, LG is a good school district with good kids.

hookandladder
09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
dang it, I was done posting on the thread. Leave it to a LG peep to not understand things. My main beef was that this thread was started with an underlying theme. Swosu just wanted to stir up stuff, and make Wharton School district look bad. Have you read swosu's first 3 or 4 post on this thread. Only intention was to dog Wharton ISD. I then assumed since Swosu had been on this board for 3 years and had only posted 7 times prior to starting this thread, that the sole reason swosu got on this board was for personal protection or to attach individuals or the school district.

If you read the only other thread that swosu has ever posted on, pulled out of archives by pirates4state, swosu seemed to be pointing out (i didn't waste much time reading them) that individuals had quit college ball. Not the worse thing that swosu could post in that thread, however if Swosu wants to talk football on this board let's talk football w/o degrading a school district or players.

I know I make some comments on here about LG in fun, but that is in fun, LG is a good school district with good kids.

I understand somewhat of what you are saying however there is always two sides to the story, bad admin. with personal agendas can screw up any school. We were lucky to get rid of one of ours a few years ago, unless you were at Wharton you really do not know the real truth. Just saying, maybe swosu got screwed just like my friend just got screwed at Corpus Chisti Carrol. It happens more then you think, something about people with power.

swosudog15
09-15-2011, 08:13 AM

I never degraded any School District or players. I only stated facts (not opinion). Sure I may have used some sarcasm, but everyone on here does that. I wanted to discuss Wharton football and the Wharton School District in general. If talking about the truth makes some people assume it is degrading, then what does that say about the School district? There is no bashing here. If anyone knows anything about Wharton football or Wharton Schools, then let's talk about it....

ExScoop
09-16-2011, 01:22 PM
As I said if anyone can turn this program around-Brad Wright can-Hopefully he will stick around for a few years instead of leaving. He only spent one year at East Bernard when he was there and the Brahmas had a good season. Forgot how many years at NB Canyon.

I reallly miss working at the Wharton newspaper and covering the Tigers- While I was there I think the Tigers went throught about 5 coaching changes when Mark Weaver was there in 1985. Even though the Tigers didn't make the playoffs when Jesse Crow was there. They had fan support. Forgot who followed Jesse. I know Russell Roberts turned the program around when the Tigers made the playoffs.

The population of Wharton is declining and businesses are closing, even though Denny's opened up there three weeks ago.

Wharton does need to upgrade the football facilities at Tiger fied with a new dressing room which is very small- Press box is cramped as well but there is adequate space in the stands. Some extra stands were added about 4 years ago.

I wish the Tigers well this season and hope they make the playoffs-If any one can make that happen, Brad can-

SintonFan_inAustin
09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Long trip for work today, went to Wharton. Go Tigers!

garciap77
09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
i think this is an experiment directly related to the thread started by bbde yesterday. :nerd:

Who cares if this poster is bitter? Just answer his questions! :)

:iagree:

swosudog15
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
As I said if anyone can turn this program around-Brad Wright can-Hopefully he will stick around for a few years instead of leaving. He only spent one year at East Bernard when he was there and the Brahmas had a good season. Forgot how many years at NB Canyon.

I reallly miss working at the Wharton newspaper and covering the Tigers- While I was there I think the Tigers went throught about 5 coaching changes when Mark Weaver was there in 1985. Even though the Tigers didn't make the playoffs when Jesse Crow was there. They had fan support. Forgot who followed Jesse. I know Russell Roberts turned the program around when the Tigers made the playoffs.

The population of Wharton is declining and businesses are closing, even though Denny's opened up there three weeks ago.

Wharton does need to upgrade the football facilities at Tiger fied with a new dressing room which is very small- Press box is cramped as well but there is adequate space in the stands. Some extra stands were added about 4 years ago.

I wish the Tigers well this season and hope they make the playoffs-If any one can make that happen, Brad can-

I agree with everything you said scoop, but the facilities at the High School are even worse than Tiger field. I think Wharton only has 1 dressing facility for all boys sports. I heard the weight room has sewage dripping down onto the floor and it has been this way for years. So, why would a coach want to stay for very long? I think this is why there has been such a turnover in coaching over the years. Especially when they are building new tennis courts and band halls, but doing nothing to upgrade the football/weight/dressing room facilities. Then everyone wants to blame the coaches because they don't win. Changing coaches does not solve the problem. It only makes things worse, because now the kids have to learn a new system every three or four years or so. But, maybe that is what some in the community want.