PDA

View Full Version : Week4, 4A Elgin @ Giddings...Battle of the new Head Coaches

1st and goal
09-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Elgin is 3-0 with some sound defeats over some Austin area lower rung teams. Last night they beat Taylor I think 21-12.

Giddings Buffs are 3-0, defeating Burnet, BR, and LaVernia (last night). The Buffs have been scoring about 40-45 points a game where as Elgin scored into the 60's I think in their 1st and 2nd games.

This has been a historical rivalry, each team getting fouls. I think last year maybe 2 Elgin players were ejected (Correct me if I'm wrong..I have bad CRS). Will the history bring out the tempers or will the new coaches have control? I have noticed Coach Jones keeping our players' tempers in check and other players quick to pull away a mad teammate.

Who you got?

1st and goal
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
One more thing, It is Giddings' Homecoming.

Coach BS
09-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Giddings by as much as they want, 4 or more td's

Johnny Utah
09-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Giddings wins!! Buffs are rolling!!

buff4ever
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I think Giddings takes this one, and sets up for an interesting match up with WOS the following sat.

greendawg84
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Buffs keep on rolling

buff4ever
09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
This will be a good week to see if Coach Jone's discipline that he has re-introduced to Giddings has fully taken. Elgin will test our players and push them to limits of frustration. I played Elgin, and it has always been that way.

Bull's-eye
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Buffs been very impressive, Giddings by 21.

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I think Giddings takes this one, and sets up for an interesting match up with WOS the following sat. Yall play WOS on Saturday, Sept 24th?? :thinking: Where?

gtownfan
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Yall play WOS on Saturday, Sept 24th?? :thinking: Where?

6PM in Huntsville at Bowers Stadium

1st and goal
09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Well first I made a mistake calling it Week 4 instead of 3...my bad. It is our 4th game however. I caught a glimpse of the team out practicing in the heat this afternoon. I know they are conditioned for the most part but I have seen a handful of cramps during the games (but less and less each week). Does anyone here on the board go to the Booster club meetings? If so, can you let others know about the downlow?

The last game I went to in Elgin 3 years ago, I think the defense's whole strategy was to "Rat Pack" and try to strip the ball. They were quite good at it. They ended up in the playoffs that year and may have even went a couple rounds deep.

This will probably be the best team we have played as of yet judging by their scores. At least we are playing in our stadium this year.

OldBison75
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Giddings should win this easily. Elgin will try to intimidate the Buffs and will still get in the shoves and mouths they have always had. Giddings seems to have gotten past most of that and if they can keep their heads in the game they might win very big. Giddings will go deep in the playoffs this year.

1st and goal
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I wish I had a newer video camera. I would tape the pushing and shoving and youtube it.

Does anyone know why Giddings isn't on the radio anymore? Sure is handy if you have a sick kid or can't make it to a road game.

buff4ever
09-14-2011, 08:11 AM
They were on the LG station last week instead of LG. Don't know about this week.

gameface
09-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Glenn will give it to them on the chin. 4A and recent wins, whatever! 3A Buffs by huge margin-GOCAW!

hookandladder
09-15-2011, 08:26 AM
They were on the LG station last week instead of LG. Don't know about this week.

Giddings is not on the LG station this week.

1st and goal
09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I think its going to be a close game. I would love it if Elgin shows up and plays a "clean" game due to their new coach. Newspaper says Elgin has a balanced attack from the spread formation throwing about 60% and running 40%. I predict a bunch of yellow laundry on the field (unfortunately). I hope the refs keep a handle on it. I guess we'll see tonight.

trojandad
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
you guys are so lucky...if coldspring played elgin each year, id get SO much fatter on that sausage there....MAN OH MAN its some good stuff.....:inlove:

oh, and giddings really needs to make a statement with this game, because elgin is rated lower than friendswood, a team that wo-s hung tough with...(and elgin is about the same ranking as nederland)....

pirate4state
09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Good luck Buffs! :eek: :eek: :D

gtownfan
09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
I think its going to be a close game. I would love it if Elgin shows up and plays a "clean" game due to their new coach. Newspaper says Elgin has a balanced attack from the spread formation throwing about 60% and running 40%. I predict a bunch of yellow laundry on the field (unfortunately). I hope the refs keep a handle on it. I guess we'll see tonight.

Looking at Elgin's stats (Austin American), they run about 75% of the time. Last week at Taylor, they threw 12 times and ran 41. So I think they are going to try to run and I don't think that will work out. And our pass defense looks much better this year also. The wildcats also seem to have trouble holding on to the ball.

So I see the buffs winning 28-7.

1st and goal
09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
you guys are so lucky...if coldspring played elgin each year, id get SO much fatter on that sausage there....MAN OH MAN its some good stuff.....:inlove:

oh, and giddings really needs to make a statement with this game, because elgin is rated lower than friendswood, a team that wo-s hung tough with...(and elgin is about the same ranking as nederland)....

I'll tell you a secret Trojandad, just don't tell anyone else...I've been buying some sausage made in Shiner by some no names and it kicks Elgin's sausage all around the block. But if I have to stop in Elgin for BBQ, its definitely Meyers and not Southside for me.

Stampede Buffs...Do yo' thang tonight!!!

buff4ever
09-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Nice to see our freshmen and JV take care of business last night.

trojandad
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I'll tell you a secret Trojandad, just don't tell anyone else...I've been buying some sausage made in Shiner by some no names and it kicks Elgin's sausage all around the block. But if I have to stop in Elgin for BBQ, its definitely Meyers and not Southside for me.

Stampede Buffs...Do yo' thang tonight!!!

im all ears, brother.....

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know if the game is being broadcast on the radio/internet

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 07:56 PM
7 to 7 start of the 2nd quarter updates from TWITTER , still looking for an internet feed of the game

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Elgin 10 Giddings 7

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 08:13 PM
14 to 10 Giddings

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM
At the half Giddings 14 Elgin 10 , two touchdown passes for Giddings

Buffalo1989
09-16-2011, 09:09 PM
17 - 14 Elgin 4:37 left in the 3rd

1st and goal
09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
With about 13 mins left in the game, Elgin 23 Buffs 14
New coach at Elgin has them playing very disciplined ball. They had a good defensive scheme. We had our moments good and bad. There was plenty of yellow laundry but not for personal fouls. The refs could have called a better game. They missed some calls both ways but a couple of blatant holding calls were missed against Elgin. Missed a crucial block in the back call that kept an Elgin drive alive on 3rd and long. Anyways, Elgin is legit. They will give their district a good run and should be in the playoffs. Good luck to you guys!

I had to leave early due to 2 of my toddlers fell asleep.

hookandladder
09-16-2011, 10:58 PM
With about 13 mins left in the game, Elgin 23 Buffs 14
New coach at Elgin has them playing very disciplined ball. They had a good defensive scheme. We had our moments good and bad. There was plenty of yellow laundry but not for personal fouls. The refs could have called a better game. They missed some calls both ways but a couple of blatant holding calls were missed against Elgin. Missed a crucial block in the back call that kept an Elgin drive alive on 3rd and long. Anyways, Elgin is legit. They will give their district a good run and should be in the playoffs. Good luck to you guys!

I had to leave early due to 2 of my toddlers fell asleep.

Looks like Giddings finally played a decent team tonight , how did it end up. I know they were picked to win , Elgin has been a weak team for the last couple of years. What was the final score.

HEMOTOXIC
09-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like Giddings finally played a decent team tonight , how did it end up. I know they were picked to win , Elgin has been a weak team for the last couple of years. What was the final score.

Elgin 30 Giddings 29

hookandladder
09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Elgin 30 Giddings 29

Wow, that is a pretty big upset. Pretty sure is was at Giddings also, I am sure Elgin is a much improved team.

HEMOTOXIC
09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Wow, that is a pretty big upset. Pretty sure is was at Giddings also, I am sure Elgin is a much improved team.

That score is being reported by KBTX in Bryan so don't hold me to it. :)

hookandladder
09-16-2011, 11:14 PM
That score is being reported by KBTX in Bryan so don't hold me to it. :)

I also saw it on Austin station so it must be true, first real team Giddings has faced.

1st and goal
09-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I think that most don't perceive Elgin as good as they aren't a perenially great team, but they played hard last night and deserved the win. I would give their D the game ball. They were tackling us 1 on 1 in open field situations.

Elgin is strong this year and they have speed. Time will tell how far they can go.

I remember quoting that if we can get to district with a record of 3-2, we should be OK. Time will tell.

jrhernandez7
09-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Giddings has nothing to be down about after this loss. Elgin always has athletes and speed to burn. Now they have a young coach to bring it all together. I am hearing the Wildcats may have expossed the buff D-fence threw the air , secondary may be a little shaky. I know they will get this fixed come district time!! Make no mistakes about it, Giddings and Navasota are the favorites to win this district!!

1st and goal
09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Giddings has nothing to be down about after this loss. Elgin always has athletes and speed to burn. Now they have a young coach to bring it all together. I am hearing the Wildcats may have expossed the buff D-fence threw the air , secondary may be a little shaky. I know they will get this fixed come district time!! Make no mistakes about it, Giddings and Navasota are the favorites to win this district!!

Yes, they were "sneaking" a back or TE out past the LBs and they'd be wide open. This is exactly what I wished the Buffs would've done in years past when everyone crammed the box on us.

Additup
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, they were "sneaking" a back or TE out past the LBs and they'd be wide open. This is exactly what I wished the Buffs would've done in years past when everyone crammed the box on us.
This fall opponents are REALLY excited about Giddings changing their offense. Solid win for Elgin though.

buff4ever
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
I have been out of touch all weekend. I didn't not post b/c I was mad or anything.

Elgin won that game. They are as good as I have seen Elgin since the 90's. I don't know a lot about their district or who they will run into in the early playoffs, but my thinking is that they are atleast a 2 or 3 round playoff team in 4a. Their new coach has them playing disciplined ball, including no unneccesary nonsense. There was not a personal foul called during this game. That says a lot for what both coaches have done with these kids.

With all that being said. I was very happy to see our boys not show any quit when they were down 2 scores in the 4th. In a game like this one, our old offense would not have given us a chance to stay with Elgin. They were very good defensively and contained Glenn better than anyone prolly will all year. If we would not have thrown a mix in like we did, this score would have been lopsided. The Giddings coaching staff and players did a great job to give us a chance to win this game at the end. This is not a disappointing loss at all. We wish Elgin the best the rest of the year, and we will grow from this one.

Now we get another great opponent in WOS. We will not run into a Elgin or WOS untill the last game of district against Navasota. These are good games to get in before district play, when it counts.