5. Ingleside
6. Sweeny
7. Hondo
8. Devine
9. Rockport-Fulton
10. Gonzales

YTBulldogs
09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Reason I went with Sam Houston #1 this week over Wimberley (hard to do) is because SH beat a solid school (SA Brennan) 26-13. Brennan had come in undefeated and had beat two 5A schools (Holmes and Taft).

I looked at the stat's too, and SH gave up like 40 yards rushing on 40 attempts and only 100 total yards. That's strong.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=sanantonio&Season=2011&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=112260&TeamID=5229&SearchType=Teams

Of course, they have another 4A school this week in SA Edison. Edison beat them last year, so the Texans could be getting my #1 vote next week if they falter.

MustangFootball
09-11-2011, 12:48 PM
1. Wimberley
2.West Columbia
3. Sam Houston
4. Ingleside
5. Sweeny
6. Canyon Lake
7. Hondo
8. Rockport Fulton
9. Devine
10. Gonzales

Snotbubbles
09-11-2011, 12:59 PM
LOL. About time someone wakes up and picks Sam Houston #1 except me. They been my #1 from week zero.

When you have 3 or 4 major college D1 prospects on a 3A team, your loaded. An OL averaging 300 lbs. and speed all over the field don't hurt either.

Only draw back I see, is the spread offense the 'Canes run all the time. In the playoff's, you'll come across teams that can match your speed, but---not sure a 3A school in the state can match your size. Amazingly HUGH for a 3A program. Coach Green needs to also show he can pound the rock and smash his opponents in those cases I believe.

Lucky2Coach
09-11-2011, 01:50 PM
1. Wimberley
2. Sam Houston
3. Columbia
4. Sweeny
5. Canyon Lake
6. Devine
7. Hondo
8. Ingleside
9. Rockport Fulton
10. Gonzales

Snotbubbles
09-11-2011, 02:31 PM
For you posters who placed Gonzales in the top 10, mind stating why? Just curious what you based it on is all. Is it their undefeated record?

They even admit they have not played anyone yet. Big Guy stated he will not allow this type of ND schedule to happen next re-alignment. Think you shorted someone deserving of a real top 10 ranking.

Apaches very well could become a top team, but--no way they have earned it yet IMO.

Roughneck93
09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
For you posters who placed Gonzales in the top 10, mind stating why? Just curious what you based it on is all. Is it their undefeated record? They even admit they have not played anyone yet. Big Guy stated he will not allow this type of ND schedule to happen next re-alignment. Think you shorted someone deserving of a real top 10 ranking.Apaches very well could become a top team, but--no way they have earned it yet IMO.I'm well aware of Gonzales's opponents records being bad. But, they have disposed of those teams rather easily as they should have. They will have their first true test against Columbus coming up though. Plus, they return 16 total starters which I think will help them improve vs last year's squad. I have them as one of my sleeper picks in Region IV and only time will tell if I'm correct.

Snotbubbles
09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm well aware of Gonzales's opponents records being bad. But, they have disposed of those teams rather easily as they should have. They will have their first true test against Columbus coming up though. Plus, they return 16 total starters which I think will help them improve vs last year's squad. I have them as one of my sleeper picks in Region IV and only time will tell if I'm correct.

Can't dispute that reasoning Roughneck93. Was just curious if some pollster's placed them there cause they were undefeated, or they had to place someone 10th.

I know GZ has solid athletes and are very well coached. Just couldn't place them in it yet based on what they have played thus far. IMO Columbus is a worthy opponent, and hasn't played to their potential yet.

bigcat8
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I'll just say this... in 08 and 09 Gonzales couldn't even beat the average to bad teams... The fact that they go from 1-9 to 7-3 and start off winning this year says volumes about the improvement of their program.... Knowing the current coach and staff the way I do, they could care less to be ranked or being in anyone's top 10.... Rankings mean nothing....Especially this early in the year...Good luck to all teams this week....
Can't dispute that reasoning Roughneck93. Was just curious if some pollster's placed them there cause they were undefeated, or they had to place someone 10th.

I know GZ has solid athletes and are very well coached. Just couldn't place them in it yet based on what they have played thus far. IMO Columbus is a worthy opponent, and hasn't played to their potential yet.

Snotbubbles
09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I'll just say this... in 08 and 09 Gonzales couldn't even beat the average to bad teams... The fact that they go from 1-9 to 7-3 and start off winning this year says volumes about the improvement of their program.... Knowing the current coach and staff the way I do, they could care less to be ranked or being in anyone's top 10.... Rankings mean nothing....Especially this early in the year...Good luck to all teams this week....

Agree. And, I'll give some of that credit to GZ success to a man that teaches them in youth football, Mr. Clack. These kids playing varsity last year and now, was GZ's first in CYFL program.

bigcat8
09-11-2011, 11:23 PM
you can give credit to whoever you want too... I'm giving credit to the current staff... I watched practices in 08-09 and have watched a couple the past two years... Night and day difference on the practice field and the expectations of discipline...Glad to see them having success...
Agree. And, I'll give some of that credit to GZ success to a man that teaches them in youth football, Mr. Clack. These kids playing varsity last year and now, was GZ's first in CYFL

BLEEDZGREEN
09-12-2011, 12:52 AM
1. Wimbereley
2. West Columbia
3. Canyon Lake
4. SA Sam Houston
5. Hondo
6.Devine
7. Rockport-Fulton
8. Burnet
9. Lampasas
10.Gonzales

I'll go with this one. :)

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2011, 07:55 AM
How does Columbia beat a solid team 29-0 and then drop in the poll??? :confused:

Gontex
09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
A certain poster on this board regularly expresses his disdain for the Apaches. He has disrespected them quite often and to be honest, it's starting to get old. I don't know why he does this, perhaps Coach Lock ran over his dog or something.

Why should Gonzales be in the top 10. First of all let me start by saying that ratings are nothing but peoples' opinions and certainly every poster on this board is entitled to his/her opionion without explaining anything to anybody.

The Apaches return (according to Friday Night Football) seven starters on offense and nine on defense. That's off of a team that went 7-3 last year and nearly made the playoffs out of a very tough district.

Gonzales played CC Miller in the opener this year. Miller returned 8 offensive and 6 defensive starters from last year's playoff squad. They are picked to win that district (31-3A). Apaches beat them 42-6 at Buccaneer Stadium. Miller beat Port Isabel last week by two touchdowns. PI is also projected to win their district (32-3A)

Gonzales then beat Luling in an old rivalry game. Teams are 17 miles apart and have a very spirited rivalry. Luling returned 19 starters from last year's teams. They also played Navarro quite well in their opening game. Navarro is also projected to be a playoff team this year.

Last Thursday Gonzales defeated Austin Lanier 45-7. We have already acknowledged that Lanier is very near the bottom of the totem pole as far as football is concerned. Apaches had them down 43-7 at half and obviously called off the dogs in the second half. Lanier had a negative 20 yards rushing for the game.

Now this may not be very impressive to many of you. The fact is that the Apaches have done what they are supposed to do this year thus far.

As for the rest of the year, que sera sera.

pirate4state
09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
1. Sam Houston
2. Wimberley
3. W.Columbia
4. Canyon Lake
5. Hondo
6. Burnet
7. Devine
8. Sweeny
9. Ingleside
10. Sinton

1. Sam Houston
2. Wimberley
3. W.Columbia
4. Canyon Lake
5. Sweeny
6. Hondo
7. Devine
8. Sinton
9. Ingleside
10. Rockport

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but in no way shape or form should we be on anyone's top 10. Just keeping it real.

What's going on in Devine? Are they truly top 10 material? I know they beat up on Oso last week, but what else is new?