PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater @ Levelland

Phantom Stang
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Similar name, new foe for SW

September 8, 2011

By
Ron Howell

After giving a good Mon-ahans team fits at Mustang Bowl this past weekend and battling the state-ranked Loboes on even terms for three quarters before losing, Sweetwater plays a different set of Lobos this Friday.
And the spelling of their nicknames — Levelland’s Lobos, unlike Monahans, don’t include an ‘e’ in theirs — are only one of the differences between the two former Class 4A and now Class 3A schools.
Monahans is 2-0 and the Loboes are No. 8 in the latest 3A poll after beating Sweetwater. Levelland is 0-2 this season, but that just begins to tell the story. The Lobos were 0-10 last season and only 1-9 the year before that. In last year’s game, Levelland was defeated 46-14 by Sweetwater.
Sweetwater head coach Craig Slaughter said this year’s Lobos are much improved, and Levelland’s first two games — while still losses — indicate the program is on its way up.
Levelland lost to Amarillo Caprock and Dumas by a combined score of 56-30, but this past season, the Lobos lost to those two schools by an overall count of 94-16.
Sweetwater (1-1), meanwhile, will likely be favored to win each of the next three games on its schedule.
After this week, the Mustangs return to the Bowl to face a still-winless Early team while welcoming its exes for homecoming. After that, the team visits Midland Greenwood (1-1). Sweetwater went 3-0 during this stretch last season, and a win at Levelland on Friday would get Sweetwater started in that direction again. But Slaughter is not taking the Lobos lightly.
“I’ve seen (Nick) Runkles play and he makes good decisions. I’ve been impressed by him,” Slaughter said of Levelland’s senior quarter-back. “They’ve played two Class 4A schools and they handled themselves well.”
But Slaughter also thinks his team is better than it was last year, and sees no reason why Sweetwater can’t build on that improvement.
“We feel like we’ve got a chance to get on a roll and play at a high level, and we want to make sure we do that,” he said. “My goal for these next four weeks going into district is to hopefully get the team healthy, and to play better offensively.”
Sweetwater’s 46 points in last year’s game were the most in Slaughter’s tenure, but the game wasn’t as lopsided as the final score indicated. Levelland trailed just 26-14 in the third quarter and nearly made it 26-21 until Sweetwater’s defense held and the offense broke the game open on quarterback Taylor Jones’ 65-yard run. Slaughter is hoping to see more plays like that from an offense that has just 17 points in two games, the same number the defense has allowed.
“We need to find some big plays on offense,” the head coach said.

Phantom Stang
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
You can view this at sweetwaterreporter.com

DalhartAlumni
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
For some reason I feel an upset

SW: 35
Levelland: 38

garciap77
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
SW by 21!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Bosqueville
09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Mustangs by at least 28.

Sweetwater Red
09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice little story and video about our kicker from Argentina.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=410207

He has a golden foot, and is part of the Sweetwater Mustangs Football Team, the only thing is, he's only been in America a short amount of time.

"I moved here, like a month ago and I started playing Football. I kicked some balls and I was good, so they said I was a kicker." says Kicker Tadeo Canon.

Originally from Argentina, Tadeo Canon is an athlete, and wanted to continue this athletic ability here in the states.

"I always liked contact sports. I used to play Rugby, so I like it. I'm trying to understand it, but I like it." adds Canon.

And having a player who has never played football, has been an adventure for Coach Slaughter and the rest of the team.

Teammate Quentin Wetsel says, "He was used to a different sport, and he comes in here and its been hard, but hes liking it."

"The first day of school, we had a team meal that night and he wasn't at practice, but he was at the team meal. And we asked 'Tadeo where were you at practice?' and he goes 'We practice everyday?' so little things like that. And hes a great kid, but the littlest things like putting on your equipment and stuff is totally foreign to him." adds Coach Craig Slaughter.

Now although the transition from Rugby to American Football was difficult at first, he's turned into a vital part of this Sweetwater Mustangs Football team.

"He is a big advantage you know, because all those games that are tied, just get to the 30 and let him kick away." adds Wetsel

Slaughter says, "Our biggest roars have been for a touch back or a field goal, you know, its amazing how he just ended up in Sweetwater Texas."

nk780601
09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I will take sweetwater in this one, but don't be suprised Levelland keeps it close for awhile.