PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Texans "Thursday Night Lights" fundraiser for Smithville Community

HSFB
09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Just and fyi for those who can make it…..

As you know, the Wimberley vs. Smithville game has been cancelled due to the fires.

Wimberley will have “Thursday Night Lights” fundraiser tomorrow evening starting at 6pm with all proceeds benefiting the Smithville community.

Cash donations will be taken at the gate and the fire department will be there to collect donations of water and Gatorade. Concession stand will be open.

Thursday Night Lights format:

SCRIMMAGE:
6:30 – 7:00 7th grade
7:00 – 7:30 8th grade
7:30 – 8:15 Freshmen/JV
8:15 – Varsity (7 on 7)

YTBulldogs
09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Class act, by a classy town. Way to go Wimberley. Thoughts and prayers to those effected by these wild fires. Lord, please bring us rain.

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
This is awesome.

trojandad
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
expected nothing less from wimberley....way to set the example !!!!!!

Tejastrue
09-07-2011, 10:10 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/fridays-wimberley-smithville-game-canceled-1826860.html

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 10:16 PM
So, the question begged to be asked.....Why doesn't Smithville travel to y'alls place, or even play at a neutral field?

gold_33
09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
So, the question begged to be asked.....Why doesn't Smithville travel to y'alls place, or even play at a neutral field?

Think they said some of the players and coaches have lost their homes, school has been closed all week so no time for them to prepare plus I believe the roads going that way are closed. Football is irrelavant when something like this happens, they need to be focused on their families and town being okay instead of a football game.

Gone Fishing
09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Think they said some of the players and coaches have lost their homes, school has been closed all week so no time for them to prepare plus I believe the roads going that way are closed. Football is irrelavant when something like this happens, they need to be focused on their families and town being okay instead of a football game.

I heard that too about some players and coaches losing their homes. I'm just wondering why we couldnt have made a game with Akins since they lost their game with Bastrop and we are only 30 min from them. I heard there was a chance but then I heard about the Thursday scrimmage and fund raiser.

BLEEDZGREEN
09-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Very nice!! Way to go Wimberley!!

Matthew328
09-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Straight up class

jrhernandez7
09-08-2011, 08:17 AM
That's awesome!! Communitys have come together an showed great heart and class. We now have 5 downtown buildings filled with supplys an more coming! You have no idea how much the bastrop county community appreciate it!! Thank you Texans!!!

hollywood
09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Good to see there's still a since of pride to be an American and even better yet, a Texan! Refer to sig below. ;-)

Prayers go out to all involved in the Bastrop area.

SHSBulldog00
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
:clap: What a great gesture from a great community.:clap:

Tejastrue
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Just wanted to share that the stadium parking lots have filled up fast. Looks to be a successful night. :clap:

Tx Challenge
09-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Good job Wimberley!

trojandad
09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to share that the stadium parking lots have filled up fast. Looks to be a successful night. :clap:

really proud to know you guys.....:clap:

mwynn05
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
So, the question begged to be asked.....Why doesn't Smithville travel to y'alls place, or even play at a neutral field? you have got to be freaking kidding me... football is so insignificant and this situation i dono how you can even say that.. it actually kinda makes me mad that it's even mentioned!!!

gold_33
09-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Heard that it raised over $5000 and 3 trailer loads full of stuff, really proud to be a Texan in two ways right now!!

Tejastrue
09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Heard that it raised over $5000 and 3 trailer loads full of stuff, really proud to be a Texan in two ways right now!!

:clap::clap::clap: Outstanding!! :iagree:

'Necks 2013-14
09-08-2011, 09:44 PM
:clap:
Heard that it raised over $5000 and 3 trailer loads full of stuff, really proud to be a Texan in two ways right now!!Amazing!! Whoever thought to organize this is just an incredible person or persons. Just shows all who want to see how true TEXANS stick together when times get tough. 1st class Wimberley! You are now officially my 2nd favorite team in the state!!:cheerl:

Mojado
09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
First, being an ex-Giddings FB coach, I have always respected the Wimberly program, coaches, and community. This act of kindness just goes to prove not only the class of the town but also the priorities that are in place. I know they are not looking for a pat on the back, but I have to say bravo and congratulations on the success for OTHERS in need. I live in Bastrop and even though my home was spared, I have many friends and neighbors that lost their homes in this tragedy. This is the worst thing I have ever seen and the last 4 days have been surreal to say the least. I understand how important football is in Texas, and for a community to shrug it off for just one day, pull together for the sake of others, just goes to show what a great community Wimberly is. Good luck with your season, be safe, and God bless. I know I'll be rooting for y'all the rest of the way!

gold_33
09-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Heres KVUE 24's news coverage of the event, words can't express how proud I am of our community, Coach Nelms and the players!

http://www.kvue.com/sports/Texans-help-the-Tigers-129505453.html

Tx Challenge
09-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Again Awesome Wimberley. Way to step up to the plate for those in need. As having kids that played for LH, you guys are huge rivals. I pray for all of those who lost their homes. Doesnt make football that important. Best of luck to you guys the rest of the year. I will be pulling for you, in all games, but 1 :wave:

wimbo_pro
09-09-2011, 05:27 AM
I am proud of my team and my community...VERY proud. But the truth be told, Smithville would have done it for us had circumstances been reversed. And YOUR town will do it as well, when the time comes. After all....we are all Texans!!! This is why I love Texas!!

GrTigers6
09-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Awesome display of sportsmanship and unselfishness, Way to go Wimberley!:clap:
Makes us all proud to be "Texans"

OldBison75
09-09-2011, 07:58 AM
It is stories like this the restore my faith in the future of our state. We so often hear of all the bad things kids do, but there are so many good kids that don't get the recognition they deserve. These kids and this community have proven that given the chance, most people will open their hearts to those that are in need.

Wimberley has always been a friendly community and now they are proving that it is also a compassionate community. They are my pick to win it all. God bless each and every person that participated, gave something, bought something, or just offered prayers for those that are suffering.

wimbo_pro
09-09-2011, 09:00 AM
It is stories like this the restore my faith in the future of our state. We so often hear of all the bad things kids do, but there are so many good kids that don't get the recognition they deserve. These kids and this community have proven that given the chance, most people will open their hearts to those that are in need.

Wimberley has always been a friendly community and now they are proving that it is also a compassionate community. They are my pick to win it all. God bless each and every person that participated, gave something, bought something, or just offered prayers for those that are suffering.

Thanks OldBison!

HSFB
09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks OldBison!

Nothing charges the human spirit like being able to help those in need especially when it is fellow Texans (State not Team in this reference) and community neighbors.

My prayers continue to go out to all communities that have been impacted by this disaster.

Outstanding leadership from Coach Nelms.

Dear Lord, please bring rain.....and a bunch of it.

Rule #76
09-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Don't judge all of Giddings for the ignorance of some.

Rule #76
09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Hats off to Wimberley by school and community

ogg
09-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I read that Texas precipitation may not get back to normal till March 1012. This will worsen the vegetation that’s already highly volatile; wind just makes it more catastrophic. It’s possible this could happen again somewhere else. We have to be careful, see someone throwing out a cigarette butt of any other type of fire stupidity you have my permission to whack them on the head with a stick.

lbjacj
09-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Brady Lambert on the fundraiser...

http://www.talkradio1370am.com/pages/10865753.php

Tejastrue
09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
On a humorous side to all this, if there is any, Max Preps is showing we lost to Smithville 22-0. :doh:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/osLLTGk2Z020Q2x43A3xGA/wimberley-texans/football/home.htm

Tejastrue
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
It has been deleted. Still shows a loss in the "Record Breakdown" including the 22 pts allowed. They'll get figured out.:vrycnfsd:

1st and goal
09-10-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm sorry I offended anyone. I live 10 miles from the fire and am lucky the wind didn't shift. At the time I wrote this, I did not know that players or coaches had lost their homes. In fact, the fire was still like 7 miles from the Smithville. So, sorry. Glad somebody from Wimberley took the time to reply to my post in a classy fashion.

trojandad
09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I am proud of my team and my community...VERY proud. But the truth be told, Smithville would have done it for us had circumstances been reversed. And YOUR town will do it as well, when the time comes. After all....we are all Texans!!! This is why I love Texas!!

very true...each year we play shepherd, we beat them by double digits each year, even with non barbay teams....they play each season knowing the biggest shot for a win they usually have is the one game each year they play tarkington....they have no radio or tv station to broadcast their good deeds and yet last year when barbay lost his dad they took ALL the receipts from the gate AND concession stand from their game with us and created a scholarship in coach curtis barbay's name....then proceeded to get beaten by us 56-8....and all while under the radar.....

not much of any gift could be given to a lifelong educator than what they did, yet so few knew....we do it here in texas not for the applause, but because it should be done, and so few across the country really get us...

Tejastrue
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry I offended anyone. I live 10 miles from the fire and am lucky the wind didn't shift. At the time I wrote this, I did not know that players or coaches had lost their homes. In fact, the fire was still like 7 miles from the Smithville. So, sorry. Glad somebody from Wimberley took the time to reply to my post in a classy fashion.

It seemed obvious that you were not aware of the severity in Smithville. To tell you the truth, some of the same thoughts ran thru my head about the possibility of relocating the game to a neutral site or having it here. Can't control how individuals read and react to the comments we make here. No matter, a very nice gesture to offer an apology. Shows sincerity and something we all can appreciate.

trojandad
09-10-2011, 10:53 PM
On a humorous side to all this, if there is any, Max Preps is showing we lost to Smithville 22-0. :doh:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/osLLTGk2Z020Q2x43A3xGA/wimberley-texans/football/home.htm

we forgot to tell you, buddy, new uil rule, when your team goes over and above for another team, you forfeit that game 22-0.....its still really nice of you guys to do, tho.....

Tejastrue
09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
we forgot to tell you, buddy, new uil rule, when your team goes over and above for another team, you forfeit that game 22-0.....its still really nice of you guys to do, tho..... :spitlol::spitlol::spitlol:

wimbo_pro
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
very true...each year we play shepherd, we beat them by double digits each year, even with non barbay teams....they play each season knowing the biggest shot for a win they usually have is the one game each year they play tarkington....they have no radio or tv station to broadcast their good deeds and yet last year when barbay lost his dad they took ALL the receipts from the gate AND concession stand from their game with us and created a scholarship in coach curtis barbay's name....then proceeded to get beaten by us 56-8....and all while under the radar.....

not much of any gift could be given to a lifelong educator than what they did, yet so few knew....we do it here in texas not for the applause, but because it should be done, and so few across the country really get us...

Well said TrojanDad. Though most across the country might not "get us"...probably due more to our Texan braggedocious ways and our overly friendly demeanor...I think we fit well in the American Attitude, and so do they, but they fit in a different way. As an example, I spent a lot of time in New Jersey...talk about rough demeanor and outwardly cold personalities. But you know...once you get to know them personally...they are good people, not unlike us, but yet 100% American. I prefer to appreciate our differences more than I dislike the lack of our similarities, mostly because when its all said and done, we are all Americans.

trojandad
09-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Well said TrojanDad. Though most across the country might not "get us"...probably due more to our Texan braggedocious ways and our overly friendly demeanor...I think we fit well in the American Attitude, and so do they, but they fit in a different way. As an example, I spent a lot of time in New Jersey...talk about rough demeanor and outwardly cold personalities. But you know...once you get to know them personally...they are good people, not unlike us, but yet 100% American. I prefer to appreciate our differences more than I dislike the lack of our similarities, mostly because when its all said and done, we are all Americans.

maybe your right, but i sure know i "get" what you guys did, all in the middle of a run for state, and i sure like how it pushes me to live outside of my comfort zone as you guys have....

in two weeks i get to pick up my "adopted" son, a black friend of my oldest sons who we took in to live with us in high school, who got his degree afterward and has spent the last two years on the uss ronald reagan...theyve been in japan assisting victims from the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear accident....he befriended a family there who lost everything, was teaching the two oldest boys our game of football and was sending me a wish list of items they need to be able to send to them when he gets back...

right after i hug his neck and thank God He spared him from harm over there, im gonna get to surprise him and tell him the $1000 order he was hoping to send got matched by some banking friends of mine that really enjoyed watching darius play in high school and college and is gonna be increased to almost $10,000 and watch him light up....then im gonna get to drive him to see his boy and girl (my godchildren) and they and my sons and i will all be going to services together and thank God for all involved; his safe trip and service, the japanese family, and folks like yall that think of others outside of your own box.....bless you all....

1st and goal
09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
maybe your right, but i sure know i "get" what you guys did, all in the middle of a run for state, and i sure like how it pushes me to live outside of my comfort zone as you guys have....

in two weeks i get to pick up my "adopted" son, a black friend of my oldest sons who we took in to live with us in high school, who got his degree afterward and has spent the last two years on the uss ronald reagan...theyve been in japan assisting victims from the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear accident....he befriended a family there who lost everything, was teaching the two oldest boys our game of football and was sending me a wish list of items they need to be able to send to them when he gets back...

right after i hug his neck and thank God He spared him from harm over there, im gonna get to surprise him and tell him the $1000 order he was hoping to send got matched by some banking friends of mine that really enjoyed watching darius play in high school and college and is gonna be increased to almost $10,000 and watch him light up....then im gonna get to drive him to see his boy and girl (my godchildren) and they and my sons and i will all be going to services together and thank God for all involved; his safe trip and service, the japanese family, and folks like yall that think of others outside of your own box.....bless you all....
Thats paying it forward my friend. Good story.

wimbo_pro
09-12-2011, 06:53 AM

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!!!

Sportshack
09-12-2011, 12:32 PM

I do not think anyone from Wimberley expressed any offense to your orignal post. I personally thought some of those "offended comments" were harsh!! I thought question was valid upon hearing news of cancellation.