PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Vs La Vernia

buff4ever
09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
What are you guys thinking. I think Giddings will take the bears down. These boys are probably looking for a little redemption after our loss to La Vernia last year. Our previous head coach had some pretty bone-headed time management that cost us this game last year. We are hoping to not let La Vernia even the series with us. But as usual, they will come to play and get after it. Will be a fun game, Coach Jones will hopefully get his first win as a Buffalo at home.

greendawg84
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Giddings roll will continue

gtownfan
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Last year, the Bears dared the Buffs to pass, being the first of many teams to play 10 in the box against us. So, I feel, the Buffs will need to attempt 5-10 passes and complete 3-4 to open up the running game. If the Bears don't respect the threat of a pass and stack the box, might be a very close game.

Taking the Buffs by 14.

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
We have had some good games with Lavernia. I had to listen to last years game on the radio 'cuz I had to work. If I remember, we were down and a fieldgoal could have won it. There was an onside kick we recovered, marched it down to somewhere in the red zone, had a penalty (which I can't remember who committed) and had about 10 or so seconds on the clock but as soon as the ref placed the ball he started the clock and our kicking team didn't have time to line up and snap the ball....arrggghhh! This was one of the games that a few complete passes could have kept the LV defense honest and we wouldn't have had to play catchup....

I say that this year, watching the Buffs learn a new playbook and really improving each and every week, that we can win by 2 or 3 scores. I'd like to see our D-line get even more aggressive, but I think they are coached to "stay home" and plug their gaps. I think #65 is going to have a special year of highlight plays if he keeps it up.

buff4ever
09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
We have had some good games with Lavernia. I had to listen to last years game on the radio 'cuz I had to work. If I remember, we were down and a fieldgoal could have won it. There was an onside kick we recovered, marched it down to somewhere in the red zone, had a penalty (which I can't remember who committed) and had about 10 or so seconds on the clock but as soon as the ref placed the ball he started the clock and our kicking team didn't have time to line up and snap the ball....arrggghhh! This was one of the games that a few complete passes could have kept the LV defense honest and we wouldn't have had to play catchup....

I say that this year, watching the Buffs learn a new playbook and really improving each and every week, that we can win by 2 or 3 scores. I'd like to see our D-line get even more aggressive, but I think they are coached to "stay home" and plug their gaps. I think #65 is going to have a special year of highlight plays if he keeps it up.

Yeah, my point earlier was that what head coach doesn't know the clock will always start back up after an offensive penalty if it was running before penalty. All he had to do was spike, then send out kicking team. I recall marlow signaling to spike, I guess we had better plans that just didn't work.

Roughneck93
09-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Giddings roll will continue:iagree:

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Where is the lone LaVernia poster? Lurking? What's your team look like this year?

I wish that we could play more preseason games against closer opponents. I know these games have been worked up to where they are now over the years. I also know that some teams have refused to play us preseason in the past. I respected Coach Fitz for going after the best teams he could fit into a schedule. We have a history of aligning preseason games with former state champs and/or playoff teams. Hutto, Wimberley, Liberty Hill, WOS to name some. Maybe the new coach can work out some new relationships a bit closer, like Yoakum, Cuero, Sealy, Bellville, etc... We were lucky this year, Burnet being the farthest preseason game.

LV_Bearfan
09-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Where is the lone LaVernia poster? Lurking? What's your team look like this year?

I wish that we could play more preseason games against closer opponents. I know these games have been worked up to where they are now over the years. I also know that some teams have refused to play us preseason in the past. I respected Coach Fitz for going after the best teams he could fit into a schedule. We have a history of aligning preseason games with former state champs and/or playoff teams. Hutto, Wimberley, Liberty Hill, WOS to name some. Maybe the new coach can work out some new relationships a bit closer, like Yoakum, Cuero, Sealy, Bellville, etc... We were lucky this year, Burnet being the farthest preseason game.

Rather than lurking, I'd prefer to say "not talking". The Bears are replacing the quarterback, running back, and offensive/defensive lineman that were keys to last year's victory. Outside contain looked weak against CL, but CL is balanced. There's potential to be solid. Good numbers with athletic kids but nowhere near as talented as Giddings. You should go ahead and mark it down as a W and look past us. We're just in this game for the money......oh wait, no......uh............well......back to lurking....er...not talking. ;)

buff4ever
09-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Rather than lurking, I'd prefer to say "not talking". The Bears are replacing the quarterback, running back, and offensive/defensive lineman that were keys to last year's victory. Outside contain looked weak against CL, but CL is balanced. There's potential to be solid. Good numbers with athletic kids but nowhere near as talented as Giddings. You should go ahead and mark it down as a W and look past us. We're just in this game for the money......oh wait, no......uh............well......back to lurking....er...not talking. ;)

that was a chicken crap post:clap: but well played.

What am I saying, what we say on here means nothing towards the outcome of the game.

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Footballs have been known to bounce in strange ways. I think CL might be better than most think this year. But the Buff's are "gelling" already and tasting success. I truly believe the offense players feel they can break it on almost any down right now. We have a few who are playing both ways right now. If they can do it in the heat, it'll be a piece of cake when it cools down.

About the only thing I can promise is, we won't water the field before y'all get here.
:)

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Agreed. Gidding's probably wins this game, but it should be a decent game.

hookandladder
09-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Giddings has beaten 2 pretty weak teams this year, playing La Vernia this week. Do not know much about them however from listening to some of there posters , looks like Giddings wins again against a struggling team.

buff4ever
09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Giddings has beaten 2 pretty weak teams this year, playing La Vernia this week. Do not know much about them however from listening to some of there posters , looks like Giddings wins again against a struggling team.

That is funny stuff right there. LG fans remain optimistic in there 1-1 start against not that good of teams where they got beat handily and squeaked one out. Then try and down play a 2-0 start by the buffs because our 2 wins are against teams of equal or better talent than lockhart and yoakum. Not to mention we won handily in both. LG peeps keep thinking like this, it is going to be a big dissapointment for them when we come to town.

1st and goal
09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
JV: Giddings 6, La Vernia 8
Freshman: Giddings 20, La Vernia 22

From Lee County Live.:eek:

Maybe we better get our game into overdrive tonight.

Pudlugger
09-09-2011, 06:51 AM
That is funny stuff right there. LG fans remain optimistic in there 1-1 start against not that good of teams where they got beat handily and squeaked one out. Then try and down play a 2-0 start by the buffs because our 2 wins are against teams of equal or better talent than lockhart and yoakum. Not to mention we won handily in both. LG peeps keep thinking like this, it is going to be a big dissapointment for them when we come to town.

Agreed the Buffs are playing well and have gotten off to a great start. On the other hand the Leps are working out some issues and still are not playing up to potential. Tonight will be a test and will tell us much about what they are made of. I am optimistic. By game 6 much of this will not matter. Right now the Leps are concerned with Columbia. Good luck to the Buffs tonight.

LV_Bearfan
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't say struggling. They've only played one game, and you know what they say about the week 1 to week 2 improvement. Most of our issues against CL were the result of guys blowing assignments on defense, poor tackling, and rotating about five different running backs in trying to find the best game-time backs. Not to mention that CL played an almost flawless game. CL had a significant edge in the trenches, but La Vernia was the quicker team. CL wore La Vernia down late, and the bears didn't convert on a few key posessions when the game was anyone's to win. No glaring negatives. Mostly coachable mistakes. Overall, LV is still pretty solid, ultimately better than last year come playoff time IMO. The QB can flat throw the deep ball, so it should be interesting. CL has a very, very good team, and they will challenge Wimberley for the district title. LV might be very good as the season progresses also.

1st and goal
09-09-2011, 10:05 PM
When we left during the middle of the 4th quarter, score was 45-7 Buffs. LV Bears managed to score on a beautiful "bomb" pass about 70-80 yds early in the 4th. Giddings had many 2nd stringers playing most of the 4th quarter.

Sportshack
09-09-2011, 11:50 PM
When we left during the middle of the 4th quarter, score was 45-7 Buffs. LV Bears managed to score on a beautiful "bomb" pass about 70-80 yds early in the 4th. Giddings had many 2nd stringers playing most of the 4th quarter.

Ouchy woo!!! LaVenria gets Wimberley in Wimberley next week!! They will be battled tested by district play for sure...Canyon Lake...Giddings...and Wimbo.

1st and goal
09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
LV athletes never quit. There were a couple PF's against them and 1 tackle that went all the way out on the track after a TD (that didn't get called). They were frustrated but that can be a good thing. Hopefully they'll bounce back, watch film and contend in their district. I think they've only played 1 game, so that was a disadvantage last night.

The Buffs showcased a multitude of talent. We have good sized linemen, some of which might get to play on Saturdays later on. We had some successful passes which loosened up the LV's D. The running back #28 is gifted. Fun to watch. He is already being scouted for Saturday play. The good news is the team has amultispeared and capable offense that doesn't depend on any 1 man. We have backups at most every position. At the start of the season there were a lot of ?'s and thus not a very high ranking, but I feel by district time, we'll at least have a decent amount of respect locally.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2011, 11:30 AM
LV athletes never quit. There were a couple PF's against them and 1 tackle that went all the way out on the track after a TD (that didn't get called). They were frustrated but that can be a good thing. Hopefully they'll bounce back, watch film and contend in their district. I think they've only played 1 game, so that was a disadvantage last night.

The Buffs showcased a multitude of talent. We have good sized linemen, some of which might get to play on Saturdays later on. We had some successful passes which loosened up the LV's D. The running back #28 is gifted. Fun to watch. He is already being scouted for Saturday play. The good news is the team has amultispeared and capable offense that doesn't depend on any 1 man. We have backups at most every position. At the start of the season there were a lot of ?'s and thus not a very high ranking, but I feel by district time, we'll at least have a decent amount of respect locally.

Unfortunately, La Vernia is going to have a very long season. The score could have been much worse. The Buffs looked like the best 3A team I've seen in a long time. All of that talent now has some good coaching. Also, they showed a tremendous amount of class in winning. They represented Giddings well. You guys made a good choice in your new coach. He's changed more than the playbook.

1st and goal
09-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the comments. You guys will have your hands full with Wimberley if you play them.

Maybe, just maybe this can be the town that Coach Jones can showcase his abilities with our talent.

buff4ever
09-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, La Vernia is going to have a very long season. The score could have been much worse. The Buffs looked like the best 3A team I've seen in a long time. All of that talent now has some good coaching. Also, they showed a tremendous amount of class in winning. They represented Giddings well. You guys made a good choice in your new coach. He's changed more than the playbook.

I think that is the nicest way to say the exact truth, glad it came from an outsider.

Thank you and good luck rest of season.