PDA

View Full Version : The Case Keenum should/will win the Heisman thread.

carter08
09-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Keenum should win the Heisman this year.

Andrew Luck will probably win it but hopefully he has some bad games.

Case Keenum is the best QB in college football right now.

1st and goal
09-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I need to see a season's worth to make my opinion.

But I was glad to see the coogs kick that ucla arse!

garciap77
09-07-2011, 07:37 AM

:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Pendragon13
09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I need to see a season's worth to make my opinion.

But I was glad to see the coogs kick that ucla arse!He's in his 6th year now (5th actually playing) how many more do you need? :doh: :)

btw, he's one of 3 ex-Wylie Bulldogs playing D1 currently...Cameron Rogers (starting LB SMU) and Austin Gray (on roster as starting safety Colorado State) :cool:

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Case Keenum is the best QB in college football right now.no...

hookandladder
09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
He does run the Coogs offense very well, looking forward to seeing him play on my son's recruiting visit this year. UH is making progress in all sports, would be a nice place to play ball.

jason
09-07-2011, 08:37 AM

he isn't even the best qb in texas...

robert griffin > case keenum

RoyceTTU
09-07-2011, 08:39 AM
he isn't even the best qb in texas...

robert griffin > case keenum

Seth Doege will be right there in the mix. It's early but he's good. The balanced offense is really helping him out.

eagles_victory
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Case Keenum is the best QB in college football right now. Won't happen

carter08
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
no...

u jelly?

icu812
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM
He does run the Coogs offense very well, looking forward to seeing him play on my son's recruiting visit this year. UH is making progress in all sports, would be a nice place to play ball.

What position does your son play? Guy I know is on the coaching staff and also recruits. Houston is one of the more exciting teams to watch play a game.

Btw, Keenum is as good as any college qb right now.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
u jelly? why would I be jealous of anything related to UH? Keenum is like the 3rd best QB in Texas, and A&M is a top 10 ranked school.

hookandladder
09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
What position does your son play? Guy I know is on the coaching staff and also recruits. Houston is one of the more exciting teams to watch play a game.

Btw, Keenum is as good as any college qb right now.

Plays QB, right now will be visiting thru baseball however did receives some interest in football last year from UH also.Will be visiting SMU and TCU in football this year, exciting times.

carter08
09-20-2011, 09:53 PM
10 td (t-3rd) 2 int in three games so far
qb rating is 168.6 (12th)
1119 yards (2nd)

good numbers
team is 3-0
led a comeback against la tech

whose house?
coogs house

STANG RED
09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd like to see it happen, but doubt it seriously. Even if he is the best qb of all time, it'll be very hard for a UH player to win. Will they be playing any big time comp this year? If he can shine big on a big stage, he might gain a slim chance.

nexfan
09-21-2011, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=STANG RED;1611439] it'll be very hard for a UH player to win.

Houston has just as many Heisman winners are ATM. Believe it or not you can be good in football if you don't go to UT or ATM. The one thing I can say about UH is that on any given Saturday they could lose to or beat anybody in the country. They have a horrible habit of playing up or down to their competition instead of always playing consistently the same. They have beaten TTU, UCLA, Miss ST., OK. State over the past few years. The later of the 2 on the road while they were ranked. I have been to every UH game this year and Case was only "on" in one game...against the Bruins. The other 2, not so much, and he is still #2 in the country in passing yards and if he remains healthy will be the NCAA's all-time leading passer. Not too bad for a kid who played 3A high school football and wasn't "good enough" to be an Aggie or Longhorn.

hollywood
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
He's a good system QB.

coach
09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
10 td (t-3rd) 2 int in three games so far
qb rating is 168.6 (12th)
1119 yards (2nd)

good numbers
team is 3-0

whose house?
coogs house

system qb.....id take tannehill over him

nexfan
09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm just waiting to hear a horn take Keenum over Garrett Gilbert. Then I'm done ranting. I guess everybody is a system qb seeing as they can only play in the system their coaches put them in. And they said Cam Newton couldn't throw in the NFL.

carter08
09-21-2011, 09:08 AM
you can call keenum a 'system qb' all day, but kevin kolb had that same label when he was atUH and look at him now
starting for the Cardin....oh wait.

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Emerson1
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm just waiting to hear a horn take Keenum over Garrett Gilbert. Then I'm done ranting. I guess everybody is a system qb seeing as they can only play in the system their coaches put them in. And they said Cam Newton couldn't throw in the NFL.
What Longhorn fan in here has called him a system QB? You are trying way to hard to start crap guy.

and when people call him a system QB they aren't saying he sucks. It just means he is in a system that inflates his stats. He throws for 5,000 yards because he is in a passing system not because he is the greatest college QB in history.

Pendragon13
09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
He's a good system QB.I've never really understood what a "system" is. If a system is able to move the ball and put up huge numbers then why doesn't every team have their own? ;)

nexfan
09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
If you'd like I can direct you to orangebloods.com or coogfans.com and make a pretty strong case. When someone is called a system QB its just the easy way out for talking down. Peyton Manning is a system QB at Indy under your analysis. I just get real sick of the hating because he is at UH. ex. I'd take Tannehill over Keenum...hell last year the ags said they'd take Johnson. They would probably say they would take Bucky Richardson over him if he was still there. And for the record I think Tommy Frazier was the greatest college QB of all time. VY a close second.

nobogey72
09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
As much as I would love to see it happen, I think it would be very unlikely that he could win it. Personally, I would love to see him stay healthy all year and break all the records, and be a finalist for the Heismann. I don't think that is too much of a stretch.

WildTexan972
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Case won't be in the top 5.....playing for half a decade to try to break some records won't even get consideration....

hollywood
09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I've never really understood what a "system" is. If a system is able to move the ball and put up huge numbers then why doesn't every team have their own? ;)

Every school has their "system". Of course. Some use their QB's in the rushing attack (Neb), some use their QB's to be dual threat (Baylor) and some use their QB's in a high passing attack (UH & TTU). Each can put up big numbers! Maybe Keenum is worthy of the Heisman, but just isn't what I think of when thinking Heisman.

coach
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Case won't be in the top 5.....playing for half a decade to try to break some records won't even get consideration....

when is the last player to win it as a non bcs school....when has someone won it not ranked in the top 15.....

system qb just like alll those hawii qbs and texas tech qbs...

hell at navy they have system rbs that dont turn out to be anything...same thing with the denver broncos in the late 90s and early 2000s....

garciap77
09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

:iagree:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Image_0-1.jpg

eagles_victory
09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Case Keenum better than Andrew Luck? I like Case he can play but he isn't better than Andrew Luck.

Old LB
09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Case Keenum better than Andrew Luck? I like Case he can play but he isn't better than Andrew Luck.

:iagree:

DUKE22
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
A bit off the topic but I thought about this over the weekend. The starting QB's for Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, and TCU are all from this area and all have been in Snyder's district. WOW, pretty good schools and I think it says something for this region as well as those young men. Hopefully Snyder has one that can add to that sometime in the future. By the way Case is an amazing QB and was crazy good when he was in high school.

nobogey72
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
A bit off the topic but I thought about this over the weekend. The starting QB's for Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, and TCU are all from this area and all have been in Snyder's district. WOW, pretty good schools and I think it says something for this region as well as those young men. Hopefully Snyder has one that can add to that sometime in the future. By the way Case is an amazing QB and was crazy good when he was in high school.

That is pretty amazing that all of those came from 3A schools

garciap77
09-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Andrew Luck better than Case Keenum? I like Andrew he can play but he isn't better than Case Keenum.

Emerson1
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
That is pretty amazing that all of those came from 3A schools
Where did Tannehill go?

This will be a nice conversation piece on the 5A site.

DUKE22
09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Where did Tannehill go?

This will be a nice conversation piece on the 5A site.

Big Spring, we never played against him but he was 45 minutes down the road and they are in our district now. The rest we played against.

eagles_victory
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Andrew Luck better than Case Keenum? I like Andrew he can play but he isn't better than Case Keenum. That is just stupid. Undying homerism is just annoying.

Old Tiger
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Case McCoy can haz heisman?

Rule #76
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
You will not get me to say anything bad about Case b/c i've seen him play and he is a great QB. But he won't win the heisman for the same reason that Graham Harrell didn't win. They have amazing stats but they are just part of that system. Not saying he isn't a great QB, please don't take it that way. If he was the best QB in college football then your would be hearing about him being a top draft pick. IMO he won't be in the top 5 QB's taken in the draft. He is a very good QB but lets not get carried away with heisman talk.

carter08
10-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I just want to bump this to the top. Last week Grantland listed Keenum as #1 on their list of who should win the Heisman. Tonight he threw for 500 yards, 9 td's, and broke the career td pass record.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
I just want to bump this to the top. Last week Grantland listed Keenum as #1 on their list of who should win the Heisman. Tonight he threw for 500 yards, 9 td's, and broke the career td pass record. O_o

dang

ExScoop
10-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Gary Kubiak's son plays for Rice and got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the 4th qtr

Black_Magic
10-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Andrew Luck better than Case Keenum? I like Andrew he can play but he isn't better than Case Keenum. Well has Andrew Luck played College ball for 6 years?

hollywood
10-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Andrew Luck is Heisman favorite, but Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Russell Wilson also candidates
BY Dick Weiss
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 4:00 AM

This year’s Heisman Trophy balloting once again will be a referendum on whether college football’s most prestigious award goes to the best player in the country or to the best player on the best team.

Heading into Week 9 of the season, redshirt junior quarterback Andrew Luck of sixth-ranked Stanford, a Peyton Manning clone, appears to be the clear front-runner. Luck, who finished second in the balloting to last year’s winner, Cam Newton of Auburn, has certainly had a Heisman Trophy-worthy season, completing nearly 72% of his passes in seven starts and throwing for 1,888 yards, 20 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He has also carried the ball 16 times for 83 yards and a touchdown. Luck should be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft this spring.

“I don’t know how you could find a more efficient quarterback that’s ever played college football,” USC coach Lane Kiffin said. “If you put his numbers up, what’s he’s done, wins and losses and red-zone production, he’s pretty much perfect. You hear people say he’s the best quarterback prospect since John Elway. You had a team come out and say before he declared that he was going to be the No. 1 pick in the draft.”

Luck will get a chance to showcase his candidacy in nationally televised games against USC in Los Angeles Saturday and at home against Oregon Nov. 12, and then possibly in the Pac-12 title game. Alabama running back Trent Richardson, who has scored two or more TDs in six games, will get the same showcase opportunity when the second-ranked Crimson Tide plays top-ranked LSU Nov. 5 in a prime-time SEC showdown that should have the highest TV ratings of any game during the regular season. Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III and Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson will also get long looks.

Other deserving candidates, such as Boise State senior quarterback Kellen Moore and Houston senior quarterback Case Keenum, will never have the same built-in advantages as candidates from BCS teams, whose campaigns are constantly chronicled and promoted by ESPN, ABC and CBS, who have lucrative TV contracts with their leagues and feature their games in prime time.

Moore, who has completed 76% of his passes for 2,010 yards, 24 touchdowns and only five interceptions, moved into a tie with Texas star Colt McCoy for most wins by a college quarterback with 45 Saturday when he threw for three touchdown passes as unbeaten, fourth-ranked Boise State beat Air Force, 37-26, at Boise. His second TD pass of the day, a 19-yarder to Matt Miller, gave him 122 for his career and pushed him past former BYU quarterback Ty Detmer for fourth-best all-time.

Keenum became the Football Bowl Subdivision’s career leader in total offense, throwing for 376 yards and tying his career high with six touchdown passes in 17th-ranked Houston’s 63-28 home win over Marshall last Saturday.

The senior quarterback needed 130 yards to top the record of 16,910 yards set by Timmy Chang of Hawaii from 2000-04. He moved past Chang on a 30-yard pass to Justin Johnson with 3:56 left in the first quarter. Keenum completed 24 of 28 passes and also moved closer to the major college football career records for passing yards and touchdown throws. He needs 802 passing yards to move ahead of Chang’s record (17,072) and five TD passes to surpass the mark of 134 set by Texas Tech’s Graham Harrell from 2005-08.

Both Moore and Keenum are fighting to crack a glass ceiling that has traditionally been biased against players from non-BCS schools.

The last player from a current non-BCS school to win the Heisman Trophy was BYU junior quarterback Ty Detmer in 1990. Since then, only Alcorn State quarterback Steve McNair, who finished second in 1994, has come close. In the past decade, only five players from non-BCS schools - running back LaDainian Tomlinson of TCU (2000), quarterback David Carr of Fresno State (2001), Utah quarterback Alex Smith (2004), Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan (2007) and Moore, who finished fourth last year - have finished in the top five of the balloting.

Moore had a spectacular game when Boise defeated SEC East contender Georgia in a nationally televised Labor Day game in Atlanta, but the unbeaten Broncos have no more ranked opponents on their Mountain West schedule and voters often have
short memories when deciding how to cast their ballots if a candidate has no more guest appearances on TV. Keenum has the same problem. Unbeaten Houston has been putting up huge numbers against Conference USA opponents, but has largely gone unnoticed because of the lack of TV exposure.

Their stories are traditionally underplayed because it is in the best interest of the networks who own the rights to BCS conferences to promote their own assets. As accomplished as Moore and Keenum are, the best they can hope for is an invitation to New York City as one of the five finalists for ESPN’s presentation of the Heisman Trophy.

This, sadly, will always be someone else’s award.

Old Tiger
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Andrew Luck has been a projected first round pick since he was a RS-Fresh. Now he is the definite #1 pick.

Keenum has never been mentioned to be a first round pick.

hollywood
10-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Andrew Luck is going to be Heisman winner.
Kellen Moore would have a better shot at it than Case Keenum.

WildTexan972
10-28-2011, 02:50 PM
That is just stupid. Undying homerism is just annoying.

this from a COW fan?....now that is typical cow fan idocy alright

sahen
10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Keenum is really good, there is no doubt about that as you can compare what the Coogs did last year after they lost him vs this year with him and the year before he got hurt....BUT, the problem with Keenum's Heisman hopes is the UH competition, the guy makes defenses look silly but they have played one team with a winning record this year (and that was UTEP)...compare this to most of the other QBs he is competiting against for the Heisman and they have put up the numbers and led their teams to big time wins against competition with a pulse...Keenum's 9 TDs and 500 yards against Rice was ridiculous to watch but it was less about Keenum being that awesome and more about the Rice Coaches insisting on manning up on the UH receivers when their guys were unexplicably slower than the UH recievers...i mean that number 83 for UH had like 5 TDs and all he did was run straight down the field on all but one of them and Keenum lobbed him the ball, come on Rice coaches give your guy some help...anyway just an observation...i have been to 3 UH games this year (UCLA, Marshall, and Rice) and all the Baylor games but the SFA game (Baylor alum and fiancee is UH alum) this year and getting to watch both Keenum and Griffin play is definitely a treat!...too bad they don't play each other as the final score would probably be something like 100-99, however its prolly good for me that they don't play!

garciap77
10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Well has Andrew Luck played College ball for 6 years?

Don't worry about Keenum, worry about the beating you are getting tonight by the mighty Bulldogs!!!:D

garciap77
10-28-2011, 05:11 PM
no...

u jelly? :D

carter08
11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Current rankings for Keenum:

2nd in QB rating
3rd in completion percentage
1st in yards
2nd in yards per attempt
1st in touchdowns
Has only thrown 3 interceptions

team is undefeated

hollywood
11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Current rankings for Keenum:

2nd in QB rating
3rd in completion percentage
1st in yards
2nd in yards per attempt
1st in touchdowns
Has only thrown 3 interceptions

team is undefeated

Good stats against lesser opponents.

Stanford's remaining schedule:
Oregon
Cal
Notre Dame

Houston's remaining schedule:
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa

3afan
11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
UH's schedule will prevent CK from winning .... he may very well be the best QB but that alone cannot win it for him

carter08
11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
bumping this up again because i feel like it