PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley vs Smithville

gold_33
09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Game is supposed to be in Smithville but has anyone heard the status on the game with the fires going on in the area?? Should be a good game, Smithville has looked to be strong the past 2 weeks.

Coach BS
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Smithville wins this one!

trojandad
09-06-2011, 03:52 PM
a few years back we played kirbyville after hurricane rita wrecked that town....after they thrashed us (and they shouldnt have) they walked to the circus tents at the end of the field that most of the players and their families were lodged at after the hurricane....that storm brought those guys together big time....

i dont know if these fires will do the same thing for smithville, but they are a good team even without the added incentive....im rootin for wimbo put pickin smithville in a big upset.....

jrhernandez7
09-06-2011, 04:14 PM
if i was a betting man i would have to say this game is NOT going to happend. School has been canceld the today and has already made the anouncement for tomorow as well. Many faculity and students have lost there homes and just dont see this game being played. but this is nothing offical just what im thinking seeing how devestaded everyone is in town i dont think its going happend but is a chance it could

jrhernandez7
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Bastrop i.s.d has just cancelled classes and all athletic events for the rest of the week . Smithville i.s.d has been working with bastrop i.s.d and fully excpect the anouncement of the cancellation of this game to be made later today or tomorow.

Sportshack
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
My question about Smithville is do you feel that they are a much better team than last year? They simply could not match up with WHS last year and the WHS offense is probably as good or close to it. IMHO the WHS defense is probably a little bit better. The loss of Smith helps the Tigers some. If they are significantly improved them maybe. Otherwise, I am thinking that WHS wins this one. They have been very difficult to run against so far. How is S-Ville passing game?

1st and goal
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Smithville has beaten Lexington(ranked 2A) and Wharton (who beat Brookshire Royal), so they've tasted the taste of winning. I have no clue about them this year. OTOH, I have seen Wimberley scrimmage and was really impressed by their O and D line play. They made Giddings look like a young team that hadn't learned their blocking schemes yet. While I would love for Smittyville to give the Texans their toughest game of the preseason, I don't think a win will happen. I have been wrong before. Actually, my picks last week $ukd!

jrhernandez7
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I 100% believe smithville is that much improved. coach wiley is without a doubt one of the top coaches in this distrcit and last year it was simply youth. 18 returning starters for the tigers and just another year under the off-season program wich coach wiley and staff have to a science now. Last year i feel the score was a little deceiving, in the first half smithville did put up a fight and broke quite a few big plays on the texans. about half where called back bc of penalty but they did break them off, and just gave up in the second half. I feel if smithville just keeps it close till the 4th they have a shot bc wimberly is yet to play a close game and for 4 qts bc there games have been decided before half and smithville is very well conditioned. Dont get me wrong everything will have to fall the tigers way and the stars will have to alighn just right for us to win but it is very possible we can pull the upset. the qb, number 2 and 6 seem to be the big play makers for the texans and i belive the tigers could match up against your big play players and cause havoc if we get a pass rush. Wimberly is the big overall favorites coming in, but if you take them lightly the tigers could very well pull the upset.

Tejastrue
09-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Smithville wins this one!

That's some BS Coach....:)

Tejastrue
09-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I 100% believe smithville is that much improved. coach wiley is without a doubt one of the top coaches in this distrcit and last year it was simply youth. 18 returning starters for the tigers and just another year under the off-season program wich coach wiley and staff have to a science now. Last year i feel the score was a little deceiving, in the first half smithville did put up a fight and broke quite a few big plays on the texans. about half where called back bc of penalty but they did break them off, and just gave up in the second half. I feel if smithville just keeps it close till the 4th they have a shot bc wimberly is yet to play a close game and for 4 qts bc there games have been decided before half and smithville is very well conditioned. Dont get me wrong everything will have to fall the tigers way and the stars will have to alighn just right for us to win but it is very possible we can pull the upset. the qb, number 2 and 6 seem to be the big play makers for the texans and i belive the tigers could match up against your big play players and cause havoc if we get a pass rush. Wimberly is the big overall favorites coming in, but if you take them lightly the tigers could very well pull the upset.

First of all, prayers for you and all of those dealing with the devastation and loss. I agree with your comment earlier that the game will probably be canceled, but if we were to play:

I agree that before the season started this game was probably looked at as a "breather game" on the schedule but also could be a "trap game" for us knowing we played Sealy the following week but... we are also a veteran team who understands what is expected and have played close games. Heck, the Dripping Springs game was a dropped TD pass or two from being very close into the 4th. For this reason I just don't see them overlooking you guys at all. I'm looking for this to be a very competitive game but the Texans will be in complete control. Just my humble 'homer' opinion and if this game does happen, and you guys pull the upset, they'll be no excuses heard from me. Good luck to you, your Tigers, and the whole town of Smithville. Be safe!!!

wimbo_pro
09-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I echo Tejastrue's comments about our prayers going out to your community, JrHernandez...I couldnt imagine what it would be like if such devestationhit our area like that. Counting blessings here, you can be sure of that!

Regarding the (possible) game this Friday...the Texan defense is a LOT better than last year. This is by far the biggest improvement over last year...maybe the passing game would be a close second. And add to it, our offense is more powerful than it was this time last year. So, all in all, we are much improved over this time last year. MUCH improved. With this in mind, if I had to bet (and the game does indeed take place), I would put money on Wimberley rolling Smithville with relative ease (note...RELATIVE ease). Smithville will of had to improve by leaps and bounds over last year to be able to keep this game close.

jrhernandez7
09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Smithville I.s.d just made the announcement that classes are cancels for the week an Fridays game against the Texans is officially canceled in a press conference less than a hour ago.

wimbo_pro
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Smithville I.s.d just made the announcement that classes are cancels for the week an Fridays game against the Texans is officially canceled in a press conference less than a hour ago.

Completely understood. Good luck to all who are affected by this tragedy.

ogg
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Not surprised, good luck with your remaining schedule. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

Tejastrue
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info. As Wimbo mentioned, I also can't imagine what it must be like, nor do I ever want to experience such a tragedy. Continued prayers...

I've added the school link that also mentions donation dropoff locations. Of course there are other methods to choose from if one decides to help.

JRHernandez7, if possible, please keep us informed. Take care!!!

http://www.smithvilleisd.org/

Tejastrue
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
First of all, prayers for you and all of those dealing with the devastation and loss. I agree with your comment earlier that the game will probably be canceled, but if we were to play:

I agree that before the season started this game was probably looked at as a "breather game" on the schedule but also could be a "trap game" for us knowing we played Sealy the following week but... we are also a veteran team who understands what is expected and have played close games. Heck, the Dripping Springs game was a dropped TD pass or two from being very close into the 4th. For this reason I just don't see them overlooking you guys at all. I'm looking for this to be a very competitive game but the Texans will be in complete control. Just my humble 'homer' opinion and if this game does happen, and you guys pull the upset, they'll be no excuses heard from me. Good luck to you, your Tigers, and the whole town of Smithville. Be safe!!! Be nice if I had my schedule right. :doh:La Vernia is next for us. Caught me overlooking a team. Guess I'm really looking forward to the Sealy game.

trojandad
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Completely understood. Good luck to all who are affected by this tragedy.

amen, and please keep us informed....so sorry for all you good folks.....