PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Fans

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
All the talk about the move and such I wanted to ask you about THIS season....

Any of you have a little fear of this year not turning out as well? Sort of a repeat of Fran's big year and then the next year?

Both Fran and Sherman's years in College Station are almost exact..Fran was 4-8, 7-5, 5-6 then the big year of 9-4

Sherman 4-8, 6-7 then the big 9-4 year.

Just wondering because I know as a Texas fan I felt the same when Brown had the first good year for Texas..worried it was gonna be another one season dream wrapped around alof of crap years

BEAST
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Any of you have a little fear of this year not turning out as well? Sort of a repeat of Fran's big year and then the next year?

Both Fran and Sherman's years in College Station are almost exact..Fran was 4-8, 7-5, 5-6 then the big year of 9-4

Just wondering because I know as a Texas fan I felt the same when Brown had the first good year for Texas..worried it was gonna be another one season dream wrapped around alof of crap years

I am not as worried about it under Sherman as I was under Fran. Sherman is/has been an NFL coach. Big difference between him and Fran right there. He will keep this team on track. Just my opinion.

BEAST

Lucky2Coach
09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
The Ags are in a whole different category of athletes than when Fran was running/ruining the program. If you can't see that through your orange color glasses, then you are going to start sounding foolish while trying to stir the pot. If I were you, I'd be worried about the Mormons coming to Austin this weekend. I'm not sure the Horns can handle them right now!

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I am not as worried about it under Sherman as I was under Fran. Sherman is/has been an NFL coach. Big difference between him and Fran right there. He will keep this team on track. Just my opinion.

BEAST

But at the time did u worry about Fran or is that a looking back and seeing it now...because until last year Sherman was becoming not well liked..just seems alot of the same situation...but I do agree about Sherman and being a pro coach, I THINK that will help

BEAST
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
But at the time did u worry about Fran or is that a looking back and seeing it now...because until last year Sherman was becoming not well liked..just seems alot of the same situation...but I do agree about Sherman and being a pro coach, I THINK that will help

I was worried about Fran the whole time. I havent worried about Sherman 1 minute. All I have ever said about Sherman is that the Ags (fans) needed to let him have time to get "his" players and get rid of Frans players. They have done that and now you will see that Sherman is far superior. The athletes A&M has now are way better than Frans guys.

BEAST

Rabid Cougar
09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Much BETTER play calling and much better Defense.

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
The Ags are in a whole different category of athletes than when Fran was running/ruining the program. If you can't see that through your orange color glasses, then you are going to start sounding foolish while trying to stir the pot. If I were you, I'd be worried about the Mormons coming to Austin this weekend. I'm not sure the Horns can handle them right now!

uhh..WOW..WTH are u talking about? ask anyone on here I dont try to stir the pot I was asking a legit question...how about not assuming everything is trying to start something..some of us on here like to have good fun college football debate

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Much BETTER play calling and much better Defense.

and that is where I think the difference will be seen the most

Lucky2Coach
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
uhh..WOW..WTH are u talking about? ask anyone on here I dont try to stir the pot I was asking a legit question...how about not assuming everything is trying to start something..some of us on here like to have good fun college football debate

and for the record Fran was bringing in top 10-15 recruiting classes at the time.

Whatever! You're innocent. Fran sucked, and as a fan I never felt comfortable with him. With Sherman, I'm 100% bought in. The offense has weapons to go with an incredible o-line, and I feel completely comfortable with DeReuter leading the defense we will be really solid. If you hold June Jones to 14 points, that's a good night!

BEAST
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
and that is where I think the difference will be seen the most

That, and the Aggie running game. The Ags are not reliant on the Qb zone read anymore. With Micheals and Gray, they can pound it.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Whatever! You're innocent. Fran sucked, and as a fan I never felt comfortable with him. With Sherman, I'm 100% bought in. The offense has weapons to go with an incredible o-line, and I feel completely comfortable with DeReuter leading the defense we will be really solid. If you hold June Jones to 14 points, that's a good night!

yep i sure am innocent, i even referenced I felt the same issue when Texas was returning back to prominence.

I like DeRueter alot think he really knows how to work his scheme to fit the talent he has

Old Tiger
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone think Tannehill will follow the recent trend of Aggie starting quarterbacks entering their senior year?

BEAST
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone think Tannehill will follow the recent trend of Aggie starting quarterbacks entering their senior year?

Nope. Hes as close to Bucky Richardson as the Ags have had in a long time. He is the leader.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Nope. Hes as close to Bucky Richardson as the Ags have had in a long time. He is the leader.

BEAST

I think mcgee was in the same mold..problem with Aggie SR Qbs is they get hurt and cant ever get 100% back healthy

eagles_victory
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
The Ags are in a whole different category of athletes than when Fran was running/ruining the program. If you can't see that through your orange color glasses, then you are going to start sounding foolish while trying to stir the pot. If I were you, I'd be worried about the Mormons coming to Austin this weekend. I'm not sure the Horns can handle them right now! And there folks lies the problem with anything UT or TAMU on this board.

NastySlot
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM

I always worry....hoping like heck Tanny can break the cycle of hard luck seniors being replaced by the next great thing.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Having played under both coaches, I can't think of any reason why this would end up happening. They have two different styles of offense, two different styles of defense, recruit different types of players, and have completely different strength and conditioning programs. Plus, under Fran, the stars of the team didn't have to live up to the same rules and expectations other players were; Sherman treats everybody the same and holds everyone to the same standards of accountability (which are much higher and more strictly enforced than they were under Fran).

Rabid Cougar
09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Magee was the same mold as Richardson, problem with Magee was the Fran used him as a running back. Tannyhill ran maybe once if at all the other night. When you have the two running backs they have now behind that line, he should never have to run more than once or twice a game, if at all.

Best pair of running backs I have seen at ATM in a very long time.

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks to the Ag fans who have given good info...would be nice if we could have one thread with no crap talk..but very little bs is better than the usual

Rabid Cougar
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I have seen Richardson, Magee and Tannyhill play. Richardson was a running back playing QB. He had two other running backs with him that were NFL caliber backs. Magee was a very talented passer who played in a system that was not well suited for him. Had he played for either Sherrill or Sherman, he would have not been pounded the way he was under Fran. I was not a big Fran fan. He made his mark at TCU with LT running the ball and Gary Patterson's Defense.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks to the Ag fans who have given good info...would be nice if we could have one thread with no crap talk..but very little bs is better than the usual

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/102386476.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5C3903C6E439853D63FAC9590C3C73E32 DEC7E420D80F4F83

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Anyone think Tannehill will follow the recent trend of Aggie starting quarterbacks entering their senior year? If he gets hurt, then yes. Otherwise, I think he's prepped for a great year.

Buff42
09-07-2011, 08:34 AM

My wife and I went to Fran's first game at Kyle Field. I remember it being a very lackluster effort against LA Tech. Before halftime, I told my wife that Fran was over-hyped and it would take 3 or 4 years for the financial boosters that put him in to get frustrated with him. IMO, we have a quality coach now, but A&M's program will never be as good as its potential until we schedule higher quality competition in non-conference warm up games (you simply can't prepare for OU and tu and a bowl apperance by warming up against SMU and Idaho). The Arkansas series is a step in the right direction. We'll just have to see what the SEC move brings about in this regard. Anyway, Sherman is much better than Fran could have ever hoped to be.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/102386476.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5C3903C6E439853D63FAC9590C3C73E32 DEC7E420D80F4F83 lol been waiting for it since your return.

hollywood
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM

BEAST

Bucky! Almost forgot about that guy. Wonder where he is now.

LIONS#1
09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Bucky! Almost forgot about that guy. Wonder where he is now.

Per Wiki: Richardson resides in the Houston suburb of Missouri City, Texas with his wife Jenna and their three children. He is the co-owner of Environmental Improvements, Inc., a water and waste treatment company. He coaches his son's baseball team, The Xtreme, in tournaments around Houston.

BobcatBennie
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I do not recall Brown ever having a good coaching season with UT.

I recall V. Young making it look like Brown was a good coach.

BEAST
09-07-2011, 11:04 AM

And after that you still had Colt, Jordan and co. Not so much now. Jaxon is doing good. We shall see what happens.

BEAST

eagles_victory
09-07-2011, 11:16 AM

I recall V. Young making it look like Brown was a good coach. Was Vince playing all 22 positions again?

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM

yea that 49-15 record before Vince and the 50-13 after Vince shows Brown only was good with him

BobcatBennie
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey, it is just my opinion, but I think with Sherman (instead of Brown) UT would have been in contention for a National Championship much more often than the Longhorns have been with Brown.

Vince gave the Longhorns the extra bump to succeed in spite of Brown.

JMO

Old Tiger
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM

I recall V. Young making it look like Brown was a good coach.You obviously don't recall how bad it was at UT before Mack came...

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey, it is just my opinion, but I think with Sherman (instead of Brown) UT would have been in contention for a National Championship much more often than the Longhorns have been with Brown.

Vince gave the Longhorns the extra bump to succeed in spite of Brown.

JMO

just asking..but why do you think that? Sherman has had one winning season in 3 for A&M..took a 7-5 team and went 4-8..Brown took a 4-8 team and turned it around to 9-3 and the program took off from there

I like Sherman bu I think it is a reach to say he can and or would have done what Brown did

BobcatBennie
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
just asking..but why do you think that? Sherman has had one winning season in 3 for A&M..took a 7-5 team and went 4-8..Brown took a 4-8 team and turned it around to 9-3 and the program took off from there

I like Sherman but I think it is a reach to say he can and or would have done what Brown did
I do not think it is a reach at all.

This is the perception that I get from the two.
1. Sherman is actively participating in game time action.
2. Brown stands on the sideline with his mouth agape and makes faces.

Proof: Sherman sought out a solution to his QB issue ... and made a timely change (JJ/RT). Brown could never make a decision in a similar circumstance and just waffled until it was too late (CS/MA). I remember. :)

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I do not think it is a reach at all.

This is the perception that I get from the two.
1. Sherman is actively participating in game time action.
2. Brown stands on the sideline with his mouth agape and makes faces.

Proof: Sherman sought out a solution to his QB issue ... and made a timely change (JJ/RT). Brown could never make a decision in a similar circumstance and just waffled until it was too late (CS/MA). I remember. :)

Your view is he did not mate the decision until to late..I still say that whole thing has become such a myth of how it went down..people act like Simms never won and Applewhite never lost...Jj was playing terrible last year and it was obvious change needed to be made..Simms put up great numbers as a starter( finished with Applewhite as far as wins)..people forget Applewhite had some of the worst losses of Brown era( NC State, Standford, Nebraska in Big 12 title game, Arky in Cotton Bowl, The first OU massacre)

ur number 2 point shows u have an angle with silly comments

BobcatBennie
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Your view is he did not mate the decision until to late..I still say that whole thing has become such a myth of how it went down..people act like Simms never won and Applewhite never lost...Jj was playing terrible last year and it was obvious change needed to be made..Simms put up great numbers as a starter( finished with Applewhite as far as wins)..people forget Applewhite had some of the worst losses of Brown era( NC State, Standford, Nebraska in Big 12 title game, Arky in Cotton Bowl, The first OU massacre)

Silly comments?

You need to look for TV shots of coach Brown when the Longhorns are in a competitive game. I am not out of my mind. Just calling it like I see it.

trojandad
09-07-2011, 06:45 PM

while i agree with the applewhite overview, the sims "numbers" makes note of the point i made on another thread of the ones "in the know" not necessarily knowing how to play qb....simms, as far as technique, posture, etc was a great qb, even fooling gruden, but it takes more than that to play qb...many times it takes drawing a play up in the dirt that youve seen will work, many times it takes you calling a play one direction knowing darn good and well your going to be bootlegging it the other way and youve fooled even your own guys....sometimes it takes reaching over and grabbing disgruntled linemen by the facemask when they are grumbling about a play they dont think will work....sims played qb like his dad, just being a puppet of his coach, problem is his dad had a coach that demanded that kind of play, his son nevr had that type of coach....

and yea, brown IS more of an administrator during a game than a coach, and most coaches arent that way, guess in the end well see how its working for him...

Emerson1
09-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Silly comments?

You need to look for TV shots of coach Brown when the Longhorns are in a competitive game. I am not out of my mind. Just calling it like I see it.
To base that off a few seconds of TV shots makes it a pretty silly(stupid) comment.

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
while i agree with the applewhite overview, the sims "numbers" makes note of the point i made on another thread of the ones "in the know" not necessarily knowing how to play qb....simms, as far as technique, posture, etc was a great qb, even fooling gruden, but it takes more than that to play qb...many times it takes drawing a play up in the dirt that youve seen will work, many times it takes you calling a play one direction knowing darn good and well your going to be bootlegging it the other way and youve fooled even your own guys....sometimes it takes reaching over and grabbing disgruntled linemen by the facemask when they are grumbling about a play they dont think will work....sims played qb like his dad, just being a puppet of his coach, problem is his dad had a coach that demanded that kind of play, his son nevr had that type of coach....

and yea, brown IS more of an administrator during a game than a coach, and most coaches arent that way, guess in the end well see how its working for him...

I can see ur points..I just know Simms was first UT QB to lead Texas to back to back 10 win seasons and was 26-6 as a starter

ur right about Brown..and I think his approach worked for Texas..whether he has another down season or not his time at Texas is nothing but a great era in Texas football

trojandad
09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
I can see ur points..I just know Simms was first UT QB to lead Texas to back to back 10 win seasons and was 26-6 as a starter

ur right about Brown..and I think his approach worked for Texas..whether he has another down season or not his time at Texas is nothing but a great era in Texas football

ive heard a lot of people use the 10 win measure of teams but fail to say right along with that stat that some of the great teams (and qbs) in the past had to go perfect seasons to make 10 wins, whereas guys like sims played in an era where they didnthave to be perfect to win 10 games...kinda an unfair yardstick if anyone asks me....which they didnt....

and, lets face it, in the end he just didnt have whatever "that" is when playing with the big boys...

BobcatBennie
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
To base that off a few seconds of TV shots makes it a pretty silly(stupid) comment.

Now who is being silly?

Obviously you don't see many Longhorn games. There are more than a few seconds of TV shots.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1812855/37912_Texas_BCS_Football.jpg
"Thank goodness I had Vince Young!"