PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley-Dripping

rb585
09-02-2011, 10:40 PM
47-26 Wimberley

Really sloppy game. Dripping actually got a safety and a FG to lead 5-0 early, but their defense was a sieve.

Wimberley @ Smithville next week.

Tejastrue
09-03-2011, 12:32 AM
47-26 Wimberley

Really sloppy game. Dripping actually got a safety and a FG to lead 5-0 early, but their defense was a sieve.

Yes, there was indeed a lot of slop. We had close to 100 yds in penalties and our pass defense looked suspect at times but I'm grateful DS tested us with the aerial assault this early. A lot of hard hitting and a lot of players layed out on the field. Liked what Lambert did and loved the combo with Burttschell and what can you say about Blakemore. Kolby Kelley will be a factor with Smith out and Wilson has just picked up where he left off. Alana was a major factor tonight on defense. Smithville looks to be riding high now after two straight big wins for their program. I choose to take the positives from this game. Go Texans!!!

Sportshack
09-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Wimberley's aerial assault was outstanding. QB Brady Lambert was very, very impressive with a multitude of throws and 5 TD passes. Hunter Burtschell had a huge game with three nice TD catches in traffic. Blakemore had beautiful long TD reception and kickoff return for TD and both really showed off the extra gear he has with the ball in his hands. He also had 2 interceptions that were quite impressive. The Tigers could not run against Wimberley's front 7 or 8. Excellent job against the run. All of those guys had nice games. Nice interception and run after pick by Alden Mann who plays both LB and RG. He is a scrapper. However, DS threw the ball pretty well with a fairly sophisticated passing attack. WHS has inexperienced guys rotating through the secondary and they all had their issues tonight. In fact 24 of DS' points came against secondary in passing game (long pass in 1st qtr set up early field goal) and it could have easily been 31 points as a wide open DS receiver simply dropped a td pass. However, the inexperienced guys got a bit more experience tonight and should keep on getting better. All of those kids also contributed great effort and some nice hits to the cause. Just working on a learning curve. The offense could not run ball effectively in 1st half but picked it up somewhat in 2nd half. Some growing pains there as well.

It is hard to see Smithville beating WHS next week. I am up so late on this board because I had DVR'ed the TCU v Baylor game and watched it when I got home. What a great game to kick off the College season!! Baylor-50 TCU-48! Baylor's offense looks legit. RG III can really play some QB.

wimbo_pro
09-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Good game for this early in the season. Good protection for Lambert...at least better than this time last year. Defense is DEFINITELY better, no doubt about it. Kicking game is...ummmm.....a works in progress. All in all...good job!

trojandad
09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
great game by lambert....sounds like coach handled losing smith well again.....good luck next week, sounds like smithville is gettin things together.....

wimbo_pro
09-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Yes, Coach Nelms and Defensive Coach Smith have put it together well so far this year. Lots of talent, with a good game plan. Without Smith, we are strong, mutli-talented and well coached. With Smith, we are the same...and we are even more of a challenge to defend against...not to mention to score against. Lots of work still to do to be at "the level" one must be at to get to the Big Show, but we are off to a good start. We have every reason to believe that we have a good shot at it.

I have a feeling that Smith, when he returns, wont be much of a factor due to his lack of playing time in the last 2 years. But still, a real talent that must be taken into account by our opponents. I really wish him the best, he seems to have gotten his act together lately.

Gone Fishing
09-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Thought it was a little sloppy, but still pretty impressive win. DS is a 4A school anyway you look at it. Could have held them to 12, but give them a little credit for not giving up and fighting till the end. Must be a good coach (s). We do have several new varsity players getting reps on D and learning the speed of the game and some of the schemes that maybe they didnt do on JV last year. Got a OLB, A corner and a safety getting lots of reps that is great for the depth needed when the "real" games get started. With our secondary schemes, its hard to know who got burned on a long pass and most fans just look at the last guy running to the receiver when the guy that screwed up is probably 20 yards back up the field fixing to get his butt chewed. We as fans, don't know what play was called. On the long TD pass they had last night it looked like Gray the safety messed up, when actually it was the corner who was no where even close and it was his cover. ( can't believe I watch HS football that closely!! LOL ) I still think our O-Line has a long way to go for sure. We have scored lots of points, so its easy to over look them, but frankly we aren't running the ball that good. Lambert made a couple of great QB runs last night to help the rushing stats (mostly great efforts on his part) but 9 TD passes in two weeks and No big numbers from RB's and runs mostly only outside with their great efforts when they do. I can see some needed improvement in whos playing O-Line now. Still think this is a very very good team with all the ammo to get it done. I can't believe Smithville is 2-0. Interesting, and the two teams they beat were suppose to be good. Shows what a year can make, they were really bad last year. Should be fun. Wimberley should be 4-0 heading east on I-10 in a few weeks, although like always, one game at a time!

ogg
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, Coach Nelms and Defensive Coach Smith have put it together well so far this year. Lots of talent, with a good game plan. Without Smith, we are strong, mutli-talented and well coached. With Smith, we are the same...and we are even more of a challenge to defend against...not to mention to score against. Lots of work still to do to be at "the level" one must be at to get to the Big Show, but we are off to a good start. We have every reason to believe that we have a good shot at it.

I have a feeling that Smith, when he returns, wont be much of a factor due to his lack of playing time in the last 2 years. But still, a real talent that must be taken into account by our opponents. I really wish him the best, he seems to have gotten his act together lately.

I now agree with what you said concerning the playoffs. LOL

A great win against a team that's underrated (The Drip) IMHO. Our boys had speed, blocking, QB WOW! The defense can draw the line.

Brennen,,, nuff said.

Gone Fishing
09-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Thought it was a little sloppy, but still pretty impressive win. DS is a 4A school anyway you look at it. Could have held them to 12, but give them a little credit for not giving up and fighting till the end. Must be a good coach (s). We do have several new varsity players getting reps on D and learning the speed of the game and some of the schemes that maybe they didnt do on JV last year. Got a OLB, A corner and a safety getting lots of reps that is great for the depth needed when the "real" games get started. With our secondary schemes, its hard to know who got burned on a long pass and most fans just look at the last guy running to the receiver when the guy that screwed up is probably 20 yards back up the field fixing to get his butt chewed. We as fans, don't know what play was called. On the long TD pass they had last night it looked like Gray the safety messed up, when actually it was the corner who was no where even close and it was his cover. ( can't believe I watch HS football that closely!! LOL ) I still think our O-Line has a long way to go for sure. We have scored lots of points, so its easy to over look them, but frankly we aren't running the ball that good. Lambert made a couple of great QB runs last night to help the rushing stats (mostly great efforts on his part) but 9 TD passes in two weeks and No big numbers from RB's and runs mostly only outside with their great efforts when they do. I can see some needed improvement in whos playing O-Line now. Still think this is a very very good team with all the ammo to get it done. I can't believe Smithville is 2-0. Interesting, and the two teams they beat were suppose to be good. Shows what a year can make, they were really bad last year. Should be fun. Wimberley should be 4-0 heading east on I-10 in a few weeks, although like always, one game at a time!

I have to stand a little corrected I didn't read the box score till now. Wilson rused for 122 and team 239 on 33 tries so O-Line must be doing ok, my bad!

HSFB
09-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I have to stand a little corrected I didn't read the box score till now. Wilson rused for 122 and team 239 on 33 tries so O-Line must be doing ok, my bad!

GF....where can I find the game stats...thanks.

TexanAlum_06
09-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I now agree with what you said concerning the playoffs. LOL

A great win against a team that's underrated (The Drip) IMHO. Our boys had speed, blocking, QB WOW! The defense can draw the line.

Brennen,,, nuff said.

I'm wondering how long it will be before Blakemoore has a TD called back for his showboating/taunting. More surprising is that Nelms, or any of the other coaches, haven't done anything about it.

Gone Fishing
09-03-2011, 12:33 PM

In a cup of black coffee and the Austin American.

lbjacj
09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Here is a clip from KVUE...

http://www.kvue.com/sports/friday-football-fever/Wimberley-vs-Dripping-Springs-129174883.html

lbjacj
09-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Game stats...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/stats/football/controller?Page=school_details&AltAction=&Nav=schdresults&Sport=1&Season=10&School=212177&Player=&Schedule=423024

Sportshack
09-03-2011, 02:41 PM
The Texans maybe had 1 long run in 1st half and not a lot else. 3 long passes for TDs (cuz they could not run) and 99 yd KO return. Definitely did better in 2nd half but I would be cautious about trusting stats in Statesman. IMHO they are notoriously inaccurate.

wimbo_pro
09-03-2011, 03:37 PM
The Texans maybe had 1 long run in 1st half and not a lot else. 3 long passes for TDs (cuz they could not run) and 99 yd KO return. Definitely did better in 2nd half but I would be cautious about trusting stats in Statesman. IMHO they are notoriously inaccurate.

Agreed...I cant believe Wilson had over 100. I thought he was well under 100, but i guess i could be wrong. Also, I am no fan of showboating either...its just not what the Texans do or have ever done (to any measureable degree, anyways). Flags are definitely in the future if this continues. OGG, finally!! LOL

Tejastrue
09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
47-26 Wimberley

Did you need the dictionary for this one Wimbo? :)

wimbo_pro
09-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Did you need the dictionary for this one Wimbo? :)

indubitably.

lbjacj
09-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Agreed...I cant believe Wilson had over 100. I thought he was well under 100, but i guess i could be wrong. Also, I am no fan of showboating either...its just not what the Texans do or have ever done (to any measureable degree, anyways). Flags are definitely in the future if this continues. OGG, finally!! LOL
I thought the same thing about Wilson's yardage until I heard the stats on KDRPon the way home.He had most of it in the second half and we ended up looking well balanced with passing and rushing yardage. Brady's 9 td's passing in two games is a great start but the offense has a ways to go to be called "a well oiled machine" which I heard more than once last night and today. #79 Robertson is a work in progress after being called for holding three straight times but he got better as the game went on.We had 3 TD's called back by penalties.Our rushing offense was shut down in the first half except for a couple of great runs by Trinity and Lambert. Burtshell made some great catches and is slowly taking the attention off of Brennan. On the kickoff following a tiger TD I said to my friend to watch Blakemore take it back all the way and sure enough he did. Officially it was 99 yds straight down the sideline with a late burst of speed to get past the last defender. He had another nice catch and run for a TD and made a nice one handed int.late. I would think that coach Nelms would have put and end to the showboating after some of the things that happened last year but it is still happening a little. There is a fine line between celebrating and taunting and hopefully the coaches will get it under control.
I am concerned about our pass defense. Drippin had receivers open in the flat all night and if not for some dropped passes they would have at least 2 more td's that could have turned the tide early. Run defense was great considering the size of the Tiger linemen and we got good pressure on the QB.
It was a very physical game with players down on the field after every punt or kick it seemed. I'm sure they are bruised up today but I think we only had one player knocked out of the game and I don't know his name but his number is 44. Fonville was down for a while but he returned with a vengence afterward and made some great plays. Alana had a great game as always and once the secondary learns their roles we will be very hard to score on.
Overall I think we are on track for a great year if we stay healthy.

ogg
09-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm wondering how long it will be before Blakemoore has a TD called back for his showboating/taunting. More surprising is that Nelms, or any of the other coaches, haven't done anything about it.

Surprised the refs. didn't call that----they called everything else.

lbjacj
09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Here's another link with stats...

http://pbstats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=25464

Gone Fishing
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Surprised the refs. didn't call that----they called everything else.

Surprised also they didnt call it and there was once last week against Cureo too. My understanding is there is a new rule this year that takes the TD away and backs it up 15 yds from the point it was done from (if done before crossing the goal line) If after the goal line then 15 on the kick off. I just dont understand why (a) he does it (b) they let him (c) the refs havent called it yet. I love everything about Texan football and the whole sports program except this continuing to go on. Does anyone on the volleyball team do it? Frankly, it should have been taken care of before this season started. I just don't understand why it continues , no matter who are, or how good you are, or how good you think you are, after doing something so stupid and wrong, they should have to feel what its like to stand on the side line. (for a very long time)

ogg
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
47-26 Wimberley

Part of the sloppy was the center snaps in the shotgun, many at Lambert’s feet. I mean hey, LOL, Brady’s got cat like skills but I’d like to see this cleaned up.

TexanAlum_06
09-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Surprised also they didnt call it and there was once last week against Cureo too. My understanding is there is a new rule this year that takes the TD away and backs it up 15 yds from the point it was done from (if done before crossing the goal line) If after the goal line then 15 on the kick off. I just dont understand why (a) he does it (b) they let him (c) the refs havent called it yet. I love everything about Texan football and the whole sports program except this continuing to go on. Does anyone on the volleyball team do it? Frankly, it should have been taken care of before this season started. I just don't understand why it continues , no matter who are, or how good you are, or how good you think you are, after doing something so stupid and wrong, they should have to feel what its like to stand on the side line. (for a very long time)

Agreed. Another concern is opposing player(s) intentionally taking cheap shots on him. Either on their own initiative or because a coach encouraged them to do so. I know that's not a very PC thing to say, but make no mistake, it does happen.

gold_33
09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Missed the game on Friday but sounds like Lambert put on another show. Our offense is gonna be hard to stop if Lambert is throwing the ball around like that, when teams start game planning to stop the pass it will open up the ground game. Sounds like Nelms needs to have a talk with Blakemore about the showboating, he did it last year and had some flags thrown on him in the semi final game for his attitude and shouldve been handled before the season. Gonna end up costing us at some point and I've never known Nelms to tolerate that stuff. Looking forward to this weeks game should show be a good test on how good we are and Smithville is.

Gone Fishing
09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Missed the game on Friday but sounds like Lambert put on another show. Our offense is gonna be hard to stop if Lambert is throwing the ball around like that, when teams start game planning to stop the pass it will open up the ground game. Sounds like Nelms needs to have a talk with Blakemore about the showboating, he did it last year and had some flags thrown on him in the semi final game for his attitude and shouldve been handled before the season. Gonna end up costing us at some point and I've never known Nelms to tolerate that stuff. Looking forward to this weeks game should show be a good test on how good we are and Smithville is.

Well, I think he does tolerate it now, maybe not before. I went to all 15 games last year and I'm not sure, but I would think it is safe to say the kid had 6 to 8 PF's and he only played 7 games. I agree with texan alumn06. Somebody is going to head hunt him or even worse our team.