PDA

View Full Version : Traditions and Texas A&M

JJWalker
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Does the end of the annual football game between Texas and A&M taint almost all other Aggie traditions?

Pendragon13
09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I'll admit that I have limited knowledge of the specifics of their traditions, but I know that many of them (including bonfire) were created because of their rivalry with Texas. I guess they'll pretty much have to erase the past 100 years or so and start over with new ones..

YTBulldogs
09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ a&m. Will not be missed. Hook'em.

OldNavy
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ a&m. Will not be missed. Hook'em.

Why bother posting anything like this if it really doesn't matter to you?

I think this is like the break up of a marrage. THere is a loss there. Those traditions are not just A&M Traditions. You have to admit that beating A&M was a fun tradition. Rivalry's are fun. They generate interest and excitement. I liked the old Southwest Conference and you could drive to nearly any game you could get tickets for. But, we live in a global world and we can watch almost any school on the TV now. New traditions will be made or there could be some continuation of old ones if the parties agree.

Any way, there would not be so much talk out of the UT community if no one cared. I don't know if this is a done deal or not, but if it is, I hope it works out for A&M and their students. I am sure Texas will take care of themselves as well.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, just like a marriage now days. Instead of working things out, just leave.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, just like a marriage now days. Instead of working things out, just leave. I hope we don't play them and the traditions do go out the window. Never was a fan of that moronic stuff. This move is to get rid of big brother, so get rid of him 100%.

I'd like to start new traditions within the SEC.

trojandad
09-01-2011, 02:41 PM
i remember back when i played hearing coach metcalf of a&m dress down one of his players in a huddle who had just made a comment about how good it would be to beat the team they were playing (baylor) so they could have a shot at texas the next game....he said something to the effect of he wished his aggie teams wouldnt be so eaten up with ut, and that if theyd beat everyone else hed be happy with two texas losses a year as long as they were his only two losses.....thats probably why he had such a great record at a&m, he loved winning more than winning at austin....

having said that, whichever athletic director, a&m or ut, first announces no more game between the two, will be looking for a new job before its all over with, thats MY prediction....id do my dead level best to let the other side announce, cause that will be a death nail in whoever does announce it.....

eagles_victory
09-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I hope we don't play them and the traditions do go out the window. Never was a fan of that moronic stuff. This move is to get rid of big brother, so get rid of him 100%.

I'd like to start new traditions within the SEC. Hopefully the jizz jar tradition will go

YTBulldogs
09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I hope we don't play them and the traditions do go out the window. Never was a fan of that moronic stuff. This move is to get rid of big brother, so get rid of him 100%.

I'd like to start new traditions within the SEC.

I kinda think the move has to do with someone getting their own Network.

eagles_victory
09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
i remember back when i played hearing coach metcalf of a&m dress down one of his players in a huddle who had just made a comment about how good it would be to beat the team they were playing (baylor) so they could have a shot at texas the next game....he said something to the effect of he wished his aggie teams wouldnt be so eaten up with ut, and that if theyd beat everyone else hed be happy with two texas losses a year as long as they were his only two losses.....thats probably why he had such a great record at a&m, he loved winning more than winning at austin....

having said that, whichever athletic director, a&m or ut, first announces no more game between the two, will be looking for a new job before its all over with, thats MY prediction....id do my dead level best to let the other side announce, cause that will be a death nail in whoever does announce it..... I have to disagree Deloss Dodds is pretty untouchable at Texas plus most UT fans that I have seen talk about it would be happy with not playing A&M if they left.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I have to disagree Deloss Dodds is pretty untouchable at Texas plus most UT fans that I have seen talk about it would be happy with not playing A&M if they left.

How about Bama, LSU, Florida?

Roughneck93
09-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Well if they do indeed discontinue their rivalry, does A&M change up the lyrics to their school song?

trojandad
I have to disagree Deloss Dodds is pretty untouchable at Texas plus most UT fans that I have seen talk about it would be happy with not playing A&M if they left.

maybe, but this argument was presented before, there are people in texas with more power than dodds that very easily can make life rough....i definitely dont think it would be a longhorn revolt that made life hard on whoever announced....as with a&m, the most powerful man at a&m doesnt come to work at this campus everyday.....same with you guys.....

DavidWooderson
Texas has other real rivals. A&M does not. A&M leaving the conference they lose not only Texas but Baylor and Tech.

trojandad
09-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Texas has other real rivals. A&M does not. A&M leaving the conference they lose not only Texas but Baylor and Tech.

amen, thats what i feel metcalf was trying to tell his men.....get some new rivals in your head.....aggies on a whole live and die breathing only texas, while ut forgets the aggies until the week of thanksgiving.....

JJWalker
09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
It looks to me like the sports writers think Notre Dame would be likely willing to add a Thanksgiving type of game with Texas.

trojandad
09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Well if they do indeed discontinue their rivalry, does A&M change up the lyrics to their school song?

my wife was asking a friend here that very thing last night....they were die hards and said no way.....

Pendragon13
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Texas has other real rivals. A&M does not. A&M leaving the conference they lose not only Texas but Baylor and Tech.A&M can form new rivals, but that can take decades. Do any aggies really think that Bama, LSU, Florida etc.. are gonna consider A&M as rivals when they already have their own century old rivalries that are still intact? I can see it being pretty one sided for the next 20 years or so..

DavidWooderson
09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Only one team in the SEC A&M has a history of a rivalry with is Arkansas from the SWC days, but when Arkansas was in the SWC their rival was Texas not A&M.

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Things such as Howdy, Corps of Cadets, 12th Man, and the Aggie band will not be tarnished. You could also say that calling an orange team TU won't change.

One tradition that could improve

Gig'Em - Thumbs up sign used by aggies has become now days just a upside down hook'em to replace the Gig'Em tradition but they could go back to throwing their thumbs up.

Traditions that are tarnished

BTHO - The most well-known Aggie yell is the simple "Beat the Hell Outta" the opposing school. In writing, this is often abbreviated as BTHO. For the annual game against the University of Texas at Austin, students yell "Beat the Hell Outta t.u

Aggie Bonfire or the spirit o the Aggie Bonfire

Elephant Walk

ENTIRE FIGHT SONG

For the Longhorns the only two I can think of that are ruined are...

Part of the fight song
Hex Rally

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
A&M can form new rivals, but that can take decades. Do any aggies really think that Bama, LSU, Florida etc.. are gonna consider A&M as rivals when they already have their own century old rivalries that are still intact? I can see it being pretty one sided for the next 20 years or so..IMO the only rivals that A&M could possibly form would be Arkansas because of SWC and slight possibility with LSU just do to geography.

jason
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
IMO the only rivals that A&M could possibly form would be Arkansas because of SWC and slight possibility with LSU just do to geography.they'll have a good game with vanderbilt when playing for second to last in the conference, maybe that could blossom into something...

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM
they'll have a good game with vanderbilt when playing for second to last in the conference, maybe that could blossom into something...They can have the who is more racist rival with Ole Miss

Cam
09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I went to A&M campus once.....have them cow's with the windows on their stomachs.....and some lady workin' for the USDA doin' research on eradimacation of the boll weevil...you know, those little bastards eatin' up all the cotton plants.......I once put on a brand new pair of underwear.....somethin' kept pokin' me in the crotch.....took em' off to inspect....and sure nough there it was....a boll weevil snout embedded in the cotton!!! I ain't lyin'.....:eek:

YTBulldogs
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I went to A&M campus once.....have them cow's with the windows on their stomachs.....and some lady workin' for the USDA doin' research on eradimacation of the boll weevil...you know, those little bastards eatin' up all the cotton plants.......I once put on a brand new pair of underwear.....somethin' kept pokin' me in the crotch.....took em' off to inspect....and sure nough there it was....a boll weevil snout embedded in the cotton!!! I ain't lyin'.....:eek:

:eek:

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM

the school song is the spirit of Aggieland...don't think it mentions the horns.........now the War Hymn does but thats the second verse..............does Texas have to change theirs?...............see most of these Horn fan s don't even know the words Texas Fight....probably only the part they ad lib OU $Ucks at the end of it.

they probably couldn't even tell you that Texas fight was written to be a reponse to an A&M song====Farmers Fight. Couldn't tell you why the Aggies refer to them as Sips.......couldn't tell you how 13-0 became BEVO and why 13-0 was branded....and what was planned by Texas students to be branded on the steer originally.

matter of fact i'll bet most on here bashing Aggie traditions couldn't even tell you much about Texas traditions........... so many original ones or are they?

I guess there are quite a few Aggie ones tied to their instate rivals............."t-sips", bonfire haven't had one in while, lyrics in War Hymn......the clock tower a little different with roman numerals...............what else? I am guessing that the traditions have been around a while........and the Horn s have none for the lowly Aggies?..............wait there is a Hex rally does that count?

I respect the traditions of a lot colleges.....even the horns or I guess I wouldn't know more than the average Horn fan on here. So I guess the Eyes of Texas will be upon me..............or wait was that the Eyes of the South? I shouldn't Mess with Texas............is that the horns or littering in the state?....idk....you all do have a catchy fight song....Texas Fight.....sorta sounds like it could of been an American folk song...about working..............wait just joking....because thats how the lyrics came about.....as a joke toward a Texas Adminstrator.......but all horns fans know these things or they wouldn't mock and bash others.

Fellows this is what it is.....The Aggies with their agenda are leaving for better or worse. The Horns with the Aggies or without....or even with or without the Big 12 have an Agenda...we can't even begin to think we know what they are. I can live without the Aggie-Horn matchup.....but putting all the bitterness aside it would be ashame not to have it...............why because it's bigger than us and our feelings at this moment..........it means a lot to the people of this state or we wouldn't be here discussing it. Say what you want if the two decide not to play.....we the fans of football lose. I read recently that people love to associate themselve with something greater then they are..........I think these two schools allow the people of Texas to have that feeling regardless if they are Alumni or Fans. Say what you want about rivals....but if the aggies beat the horns ...they are unbearable to live with for a year and the same goes if the horns win.............this is part of our culture.

Roughneck93
09-01-2011, 07:15 PM
the school song is the spirit of Aggieland...don't think it mentions the horns.........now the War Hymn does but thats the second verse..............does Texas have to change theirs?...............see most of these Horn fan s don't even know the words Texas Fight....probably only the part they ad lib OU $Ucks at the end of it.they probably couldn't even tell you that Texas fight was written to be a reponse to an A&M song====Farmers Fight. Couldn't tell you why the Aggies refer to them as Sips.......couldn't tell you how 13-0 became BEVO and why 13-0 was branded....and what was planned by Texas students to be branded on the steer originally.matter of fact i'll bet most on here bashing Aggie traditions couldn't even tell you much about Texas traditions........... so many original ones or are they?I guess there are quite a few Aggie ones tied to their instate rivals............."t-sips", bonfire haven't had one in while, lyrics in War Hymn......the clock tower a little different with roman numerals...............what else? I am guessing that the traditions have been around a while........and the Horn s have none for the lowly Aggies?..............wait there is a Hex rally does that count?I respect the traditions of a lot colleges.....even the horns or I guess I wouldn't know more than the average Horn fan on here. So I guess the Eyes of Texas will be upon me..............or wait was that the Eyes of the South? I shouldn't Mess with Texas............is that the horns or littering in the state?....idk....you all do have a catchy fight song....Texas Fight.....sorta sounds like it could of been an American folk song...about working..............wait just joking....because thats how the lyrics came about.....as a joke toward a Texas Adminstrator.......but all horns fans know these things or they wouldn't mock and bash others.Fellows this is what it is.....The Aggies with their agenda are leaving for better or worse. The Horns with the Aggies or without....or even with or without the Big 12 have an Agenda...we can't even begin to think we know what they are. I can live without the Aggie-Horn matchup.....but putting all the bitterness aside it would be ashame not to have it...............why because it's bigger than us and our feelings at this moment..........it means a lot to the people of this state or we wouldn't be here discussing it. Say what you want if the two decide not to play.....we the fans of football lose. I read recently that people love to associate themselve with something greater then they are..........I think these two schools allow the people of Texas to have that feeling regardless if they are Alumni or Fans. Say what you want about rivals....but if the aggies beat the horns ...they are unbearable to live with for a year and the same goes if the horns win.............this is part of our culture.Lol, I realized later that the same question applies to Texas. I do agree with you that the fans would lose if the rivalry was discontinued. I for one hope to see it continue, but it probably wouldn't feel the same for me.Check out this article regarding this very topic.http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2011/08/tradition-dying-fans-hurt-if-am-ut-rivalry-ends/

bwdlionfan
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
the school song is the spirit of Aggieland...don't think it mentions the horns.........now the War Hymn does but thats the second verse..............does Texas have to change theirs?...............see most of these Horn fan s don't even know the words Texas Fight....probably only the part they ad lib OU $Ucks at the end of it.

they probably couldn't even tell you that Texas fight was written to be a reponse to an A&M song====Farmers Fight. Couldn't tell you why the Aggies refer to them as Sips.......couldn't tell you how 13-0 became BEVO and why 13-0 was branded....and what was planned by Texas students to be branded on the steer originally.

matter of fact i'll bet most on here bashing Aggie traditions couldn't even tell you much about Texas traditions........... so many original ones or are they?

I guess there are quite a few Aggie ones tied to their instate rivals............."t-sips", bonfire haven't had one in while, lyrics in War Hymn......the clock tower a little different with roman numerals...............what else? I am guessing that the traditions have been around a while........and the Horn s have none for the lowly Aggies?..............wait there is a Hex rally does that count?

I respect the traditions of a lot colleges.....even the horns or I guess I wouldn't know more than the average Horn fan on here. So I guess the Eyes of Texas will be upon me..............or wait was that the Eyes of the South? I shouldn't Mess with Texas............is that the horns or littering in the state?....idk....you all do have a catchy fight song....Texas Fight.....sorta sounds like it could of been an American folk song...about working..............wait just joking....because thats how the lyrics came about.....as a joke toward a Texas Adminstrator.......but all horns fans know these things or they wouldn't mock and bash others.

Fellows this is what it is.....The Aggies with their agenda are leaving for better or worse. The Horns with the Aggies or without....or even with or without the Big 12 have an Agenda...we can't even begin to think we know what they are. I can live without the Aggie-Horn matchup.....but putting all the bitterness aside it would be ashame not to have it...............why because it's bigger than us and our feelings at this moment..........it means a lot to the people of this state or we wouldn't be here discussing it. Say what you want if the two decide not to play.....we the fans of football lose. I read recently that people love to associate themselve with something greater then they are..........I think these two schools allow the people of Texas to have that feeling regardless if they are Alumni or Fans. Say what you want about rivals....but if the aggies beat the horns ...they are unbearable to live with for a year and the same goes if the horns win.............this is part of our culture.

An Aggie bragging that they know more about UT than a UT student/alum is a PERFECT example of an Aggie being obsessed with UT. Granted I know about most of the things and the reasons behind them (of what you mentioned), but there are a few I don't know about. My senior year of high school I actually toured both A&M and UT and I can tell you I learned as much about UT on my tour of A&M than I learned about A&M because everything on the tour was "this is like this because of something UT did" or "we have this and it's better than UT because they have that" and so forth. Gee, do they have a freshman level course that all students must take at A&M where you learn about UT?

Meanwhile the tour at UT mentioned A&M one time, and that's when they talked about lighting the tour.

Old LB
09-01-2011, 08:03 PM
At the end of the day I am a Longhorn fan, I have no ties to either school. I would rather watch the Texas/OU game than Texas/Aggie game. I believe the Aggies will have a hard time in the SEC. They very well could fall off the redar.

trojandad
09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
if the aggies get all their time and effort off of texas and spend their vast resources and contacts to beating the other teams on their schedule, they can be anything they want to be....they have more resources than vande, old miss, miss stae and all these low rent teams they are being compared to put together....and they willl be the only one of those schools with texas contacts and, now, the only texas school with an sec visibility....if they fall, it wont be for the opportunity, maybe some bad decision making once there, but not for the opportunity combined with all their assets.....

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
An Aggie bragging that they know more about UT than a UT student/alum is a PERFECT example of an Aggie being obsessed with UT. Granted I know about most of the things and the reasons behind them (of what you mentioned), but there are a few I don't know about. My senior year of high school I actually toured both A&M and UT and I can tell you I learned as much about UT on my tour of A&M than I learned about A&M because everything on the tour was "this is like this because of something UT did" or "we have this and it's better than UT because they have that" and so forth. Gee, do they have a freshman level course that all students must take at A&M where you learn about UT? Meanwhile the tour at UT mentioned A&M one time, and that's when they talked about lighting the tour.

Well I 've heard that story before about the tours...but on mine to both it didn't happenn.....your arrogance calls it obsession I would call it respect....and interest....you see I read a lot about things like that traditions interest me..my knowledge might also come from the fact I kinda had a lot of family members that were horns, students and alum....heck i've told people on this board that I grew a die hard fan...that was when i was young....young enough to cry at texas/ou game losses or pissed when a tying field goal was a way to salvage a game with the sooners....i even sat there in shock...as a fumble might of cost a national title in the cotton bowl.......you see I grew up and made a decision to attend a university i felt was for me...not texas, not lsu and not tech. Say what you want....I am proud to be an Aggie and love when we beat the horns and the raiders, bears and sooners-well anyone for the matter...but like I've said in previous discussions I respect what the University in Austin does...academically and athletically.....but you see I grew up and made a decision...................everything on your tour was about texas? even when you met with advisors? ................so did you make the right choice after your tours?

my point with "bragging" about the traditions was that half the people bashing have no clue about traditions of their own university(or the one they claim)...yet bash another.....is that respect, obsession, arrogance or ignorance by them?

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 08:21 PM
if the aggies get all their time and effort off of texas and spend their vast resources and contacts to beating the other teams on their schedule, they can be anything they want to be....they have more resources than vande, old miss, miss stae and all these low rent teams they are being compared to put together....and they willl be the only one of those schools with texas contacts and, now, the only texas school with an sec visibility....if they fall, it wont be for the opportunity, maybe some bad decision making once there, but not for the opportunity combined with all their assets.....

I agree sir.....and maybe being in a seperate conference will finally wake the aggies up to this fact.

bwdlionfan
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Well I 've heard that story before about the tours...but on mine to both it didn't happenn.....your arrogance calls it obsession I would call it respect....and interest....you see I read a lot about things like that traditions interest me..my knowledge might also come from the fact I kinda had a lot of family members that were horns, students and alum....heck i've told people on this board that I grew a die hard fan...that was when i was young....young enough to cry at texas/ou game losses or pissed when a tying field goal was a way to salvage a game with the sooners....i even sat there in shock...as a fumble might of cost a national title in the cotton bowl.......you see I grew up and made a decision to attend a university i felt was for me...not texas, not lsu and not tech. Say what you want....I am proud to be an Aggie and love when we beat the horns and the raiders, bears and sooners-well anyone for the matter...but like I've said in previous discussions I respect what the University in Austin does...academically and athletically.....but you see I grew up and made a decision...................everything on your tour was about texas? even when you met with advisors? ................so did you make the right choice after your tours?

my point with "bragging" about the traditions was that half the people bashing have no clue about traditions of their own university(or the one they claim)...yet bash another.....is that respect, obsession, arrogance or ignorance by them?

I actually agree with most of your post other than where you mentioned my arrogance.

Arrogance- overbearing pride

You were the one displaying overbearing pride over knowing more about longhorn traditions than most longhorns know. That is fine and dandy, but you were using it as an excuse to belittle longhorn fans for not knowing some small piece of their history. Fact of the matter is there are probably thousands of students at each school that know more about their rival than a lot of those students at that school know, but you probably won't find anyone from UT claiming they know more about A&M than a lot of Aggies do, because they simply don't care.

I too respect both schools for what they do academically and athletically. The Aggies had a ton of success this year in most sports, and they routinely are a very good academic school. I have a pretty high number of senior students I teach that go on to A&M (more so than Texas) and although I may tease them a little about their choice they know I support them and that I believe A&M is a great school.

SHSBulldog00
09-01-2011, 11:13 PM
What about the "When the Aggies score, you score with your date"????? Wonder how that will be looked at by the SEC schools....

NastySlot
09-02-2011, 06:28 AM
I actually agree with most of your post other than where you mentioned my arrogance.

Arrogance- overbearing pride

You were the one displaying overbearing pride over knowing more about longhorn traditions than most longhorns know. That is fine and dandy, but you were using it as an excuse to belittle longhorn fans for not knowing some small piece of their history. Fact of the matter is there are probably thousands of students at each school that know more about their rival than a lot of those students at that school know, but you probably won't find anyone from UT claiming they know more about A&M than a lot of Aggies do, because they simply don't care.

I too respect both schools for what they do academically and athletically. The Aggies had a ton of success this year in most sports, and they routinely are a very good academic school. I have a pretty high number of senior students I teach that go on to A&M (more so than Texas) and although I may tease them a little about their choice they know I support them and that I believe A&M is a great school.

I wasn't going for arrogance...........was trying to come across as sarcastic with the first part of that post. The last part I feel would be true.....we the fans of college football in the state lose by not having the matchup....cause truth is the sun will still come up without the game....but I think it would be a shame not to have it.

I actually think it's a shame that the four Texas schools didn't do a better job from the beginning and yearly to keep the conference together.....imo the conference was a decent football conference but really great in the other sports-Basketball M &W, Baseball, Softball, (W) Soccer, M&W Track and Field....heck Tennis and Golf were good also.

NastySlot
09-02-2011, 06:29 AM
What about the "When the Aggies score, you score with your date"????? Wonder how that will be looked at by the SEC schools....

as an Aggie I was wondering if we'll start bringing little pom poms (sp?) to the games and wearing ties?

Old Tiger
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM
You know your hate for another collegiate institution is bad when you force a company like Whataburger to put a maroon stripe on its building due to their orange and white colors.

NastySlot
09-02-2011, 08:11 AM
You know your hate for another collegiate institution is bad when you force a company like Whataburger to put a maroon stripe on its building due to their orange and white colors.

so you assume...asking a company-whataburger to have maroon stripe on their bldg= hate....are all rivalries= hate? Hate s a strong word huh? If they didn't want do it whataburger wouldn't of huh?

Its a rivalry....it's supposed to be unique............regardless of what you or others say.............now sure the passion may be one sided with the Aggies....but it is what it is. Sure I know Texas/OU blah blah.

I would think poisioning trees of a rival would = Hate.

1st and goal
09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
You don't miss a thing do you Blue.:) I might go by that Whataburger today and eat. Just for tradition.

jason
09-02-2011, 08:23 AM
You know your hate for another collegiate institution is bad when you force a company like Whataburger to put a maroon stripe on its building due to their orange and white colors.isn't that why hooters decided not to build? i had heard that they wanted to put in a restaurant but refused to change their colors...

did they finally get one in college station??

NastySlot
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
isn't that why hooters decided not to build? i had heard that they wanted to put in a restaurant but refused to change their colors...

did they finally get one in college station??

IDK forsure but I was told two things...your answer sorta ...building codes by the city (not university)...other was because of morals...religious groups disapproval.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM

while i completely agree with you on their dislike for orange and white, why couldnt the maroon stripe be there because an aggie owns the local franchise?

buff4ever
09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
amen, thats what i feel metcalf was trying to tell his men.....get some new rivals in your head.....aggies on a whole live and die breathing only texas, while ut forgets the aggies until the week of thanksgiving.....

There is aggie longhorn crap on this board all year long, I don't want to hear anymore Texas fans say they don't think about A&M. Hell you guys have got your panties in a wad more than any school in the nation about A&M going to the SEC. I don't hear Baylor or OU or any other schools making NEAR as big a fuss about it as you guys. Either you are more eat up with A&M than even I thought, or you know they just beat you to a better deal and you don't like where you are sitting at this point.

I just don't get Texas Fans being so dumb to think they don't hate someone so much due to a RIVALRY, when they do. If you guys would literally do what you say your thinking (later don't let the door hit you), and don't get into all this other mess trying to prove it, then maybe everyone outside of the bubble you live in would half way believe you.

I know that there are many A&M fans that have the same sickness as you, but they are not in denial like Texas fans. They know that there is a real rivalry, and they want to kick your ass everytime. What you guys hate is that you fear A&M is about to do it again, and they are making life even better before you guys can turn your stuff around and make anything better.

buff4ever
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry, I am going to rant one more time. Horn fans drive me crazy sometimes, and I would go for the horns in any game other than the A&M game. I am not a normal Aggie.

Rant now, Look at the shear number of horn fans complaining and trying to prove they don't care (looking more like they care everytime they try to pretend not) VS. the number of Aggies on here enjoying the moment. It isn't just 1 or 2 Horn fans that are unintelligent and don't understand they contradict themselves every post, it is several. It is in the paper, it is on message boards all over the internet. TEXAS Fans care about what is happening, they are proving how stupid rivalry stupid can be every minute since the news about A&M came out. Yet they say they don't care.

I don't do well with stupid, SORRY.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
There is aggie longhorn crap on this board all year long, I don't want to hear anymore Texas fans say they don't think about A&M. Hell you guys have got your panties in a wad more than any school in the nation about A&M going to the SEC. I don't hear Baylor or OU or any other schools making NEAR as big a fuss about it as you guys. Either you are more eat up with A&M than even I thought, or you know they just beat you to a better deal and you don't like where you are sitting at this point.

I just don't get Texas Fans being so dumb to think they don't hate someone so much due to a RIVALRY, when they do. If you guys would literally do what you say your thinking (later don't let the door hit you), and don't get into all this other mess trying to prove it, then maybe everyone outside of the bubble you live in would half way believe you.

I know that there are many A&M fans that have the same sickness as you, but they are not in denial like Texas fans. They know that there is a real rivalry, and they want to kick your ass everytime. What you guys hate is that you fear A&M is about to do it again, and they are making life even better before you guys can turn your stuff around and make anything better.

first off, im an smu alum, was offered undergrad rides to both ut and a&m and turned them down, so my perspective is from outside (except that my wife is getting her doctorate and now is at a&m) but even from inside that tiny bit, we still see a&m being far more eaten up with texas than the other way around.....when ive been at ut for games they just seem to want to beat the next team, they dont sell aggie hats with part of the name sawed off because they wouldnt sell there, whereas the other hat at a&m flies off the shelf...

maybe it is an equal "hatred" but from the outside i, or my wife who is there, just dont see it....

buff4ever
09-02-2011, 09:21 AM
first off, im an smu alum, was offered undergrad rides to both ut and a&m and turned them down, so my perspective is from outside (except that my wife is getting her doctorate and now is at a&m) but even from inside that tiny bit, we still see a&m being far more eaten up with texas than the other way around.....when ive been at ut for games they just seem to want to beat the next team, they dont sell aggie hats with part of the name sawed off because they wouldnt sell there, whereas the other hat at a&m flies off the shelf...

maybe it is an equal "hatred" but from the outside i, or my wife who is there, just dont see it....

I would tend to say that that view can be seen on the other foot pending on the times, UT was kicking but for a while, and could take the high road. A&M has got a win in hear and there during that run, but now they are likly to have a better year and get second in a row, and you can start to see the attitude turn a little. A&M fans are going to enjoy the moment a little before they take the high road completely, but it is shifting already. A&M leaving for SEC, not concerned about Texas necessarily, and Texas fans tripping out all over the media about it. You see what I am saying, understand the happinings of a rivalry.

Take Giddings and LG for example. 20 minutes apart, Ten years ago LG won a couple state titles and we couldn't beat them. They were able to take high road and act like giddings game wasn't much. Now we have beat LG 8 years in a row and expecting 9, we can take high road and act like it isn't a big game. But it is, we want that 9 in a row as bad as they want it to end at 8, but it is a bigger deal to them right now because the end they are on.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I would tend to say that that view can be seen on the other foot pending on the times, UT was kicking but for a while, and could take the high road. A&M has got a win in hear and there during that run, but now they are likly to have a better year and get second in a row, and you can start to see the attitude turn a little. A&M fans are going to enjoy the moment a little before they take the high road completely, but it is shifting already. A&M leaving for SEC, not concerned about Texas necessarily, and Texas fans tripping out all over the media about it. You see what I am saying, understand the happinings of a rivalry.

Take Giddings and LG for example. 20 minutes apart, Ten years ago LG won a couple state titles and we couldn't beat them. They were able to take high road and act like giddings game wasn't much. Now we have beat LG 8 years in a row and expecting 9, we can take high road and act like it isn't a big game. But it is, we want that 9 in a row as bad as they want it to end at 8, but it is a bigger deal to them right now because the end they are on.

ok, will try once more....couldnt agree more, and texas fans do care now that something extraordinary is occuring like breaking up a century old alliance....i was talking about simple day by day life during that century.....an outsider like me looking in would visit both campuses, see ags wearing "saw em off" stuff all year long, while nobody at texas (or in the whole conference for that matter) wearing a single item against a&m, usually even during the week they play but for sure not year long....theres a difference during normal times, the ags are far more eaten up with the horns than vice versa....it doesnt say anything bad to me, but its not even close in comparison to me on a normal basis....but with this event,your sure seeing anxiety over them leaving....

buff4ever
09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
ok, will try once more....couldnt agree more, and texas fans do care now that something extraordinary is occuring like breaking up a century old alliance....i was talking about simple day by day life during that century.....an outsider like me looking in would visit both campuses, see ags wearing "saw em off" stuff all year long, while nobody at texas (or in the whole conference for that matter) wearing a single item against a&m, usually even during the week they play but for sure not year long....theres a difference during normal times, the ags are far more eaten up with the horns than vice versa....it doesnt say anything bad to me, but its not even close in comparison to me on a normal basis....but with this event,your sure seeing anxiety over them leaving....

I will go along with that. That is why I voted that the A&M Traditions are tainted. They will change them a little and will be just fine, but some are tainted. No big deal though in about 2 years, they will be over the change and be happy with this decision.

I just can't stand the moronic we don't care comments, when for one they do, for two they would be stupid not to. UT fans are being double stupid.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I will go along with that. That is why I voted that the A&M Traditions are tainted. They will change them a little and will be just fine, but some are tainted. No big deal though in about 2 years, they will be over the change and be happy with this decision.

I just can't stand the moronic we don't care comments, when for one they do, for two they would be stupid not to. UT fans are being double stupid.

do you think the game between the two will continue? if not, who do you think will stop it?

buff4ever
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
do you think the game between the two will continue? if not, who do you think will stop it?

I think for the most part it must go on, and I think both sides know that. If it doesn't, in my opinion and prediction if it goes that way, it will be b/c of UT. Not a good decision, not a popular decision in the end, and one out of spite and pretending to not care about that game and that rivalry.

I don't know how you can keep the game on Thanksgiving, maybe you can maybe you can't. Don't think that is as important. It would be a solid game in the way of determining national rank for both teams no matter the current status of the other (b/c neither will ever be as bad as wasting games on smaller schools that they are suposeto put it to).

Neither school should make that decision in the heat of this moment. Texas needs to be careful how they respond right now, cause if they don't have a good year, bad decisions in this moment will not help next year to be any better.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I think for the most part it must go on, and I think both sides know that. If it doesn't, in my opinion and prediction if it goes that way, it will be b/c of UT. Not a good decision, not a popular decision in the end, and one out of spite and pretending to not care about that game and that rivalry.

I don't know how you can keep the game on Thanksgiving, maybe you can maybe you can't. Don't think that is as important. It would be a solid game in the way of determining national rank for both teams no matter the current status of the other (b/c neither will ever be as bad as wasting games on smaller schools that they are suposeto put it to).

Neither school should make that decision in the heat of this moment. Texas needs to be careful how they respond right now, cause if they don't have a good year, bad decisions in this moment will not help next year to be any better.

im with you, i think the sec will require thanksgiving week from the ags, so they would have to change the date....

wimtexan
09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
NO! ATM tradition has nothing to do with t.u.

Emerson1
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
NO! ATM tradition has nothing to do with t.u.
Calling Texas "tu" is a tradition by itself...

eagles_victory
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
NO! ATM tradition has nothing to do with t.u. Troll somewhere else please

trojandad
09-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Troll somewhere else please

i know, some cant even see it as its rolling from their lips...lol

i have a hat with an upside down longhorn insignia on a maroon hat, thats it, no writing or anything, just a symbol for a longhorn in distress on an aggie colored hat....the younger aggies coming to school will stop me and ask where they can get one, cause that small idea is nowhere in any store here....but the old school aggies will actually stop me with stern voices, telling me while p0ointing their finger "thats not a hat until you get those damn horns sawed off!!!"....youd think i shot their kid by wearing this hat, when it actually supports them.....the older ones just seem to have that blind spot developed over time.

JJWalker
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
"Aggies Never Quit" ... notion, slogan, or saying ... is clearly dead. :)

However, I guess "never quitting" is not really a tradition.

Buff42
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both school songs mention the other school? Typical teasip ignorance manifesting itself as arrogant self righteousness. I can't wait to leave and watch the not so Big 12 crumble in ruins.

Roughneck93
09-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both school songs mention the other school? Typical teasip ignorance manifesting itself as arrogant self righteousness. I can't wait to leave and watch the not so Big 12 crumble in ruins.You are correct, I realize that. I'm simply sticking with the spirit of the question posed in the thread. It only asks about A&M, not Texas. It's nothing more, nothing less than that.

Buff42
09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
You are correct, I realize that. I'm simply sticking with the spirit of the question posed in the thread. It only asks about A&M, not Texas. It's nothing more, nothing less than that.

Seriously? I love when an Ag posts some logic that a teasip can't refute, y'all whine about being off topic or some other bs. Start another thread and let's discuss your fight song, hex rally, and all of your so called traditions. So long to texas university and good riddance to the big twelve. A&M and our traditions will be fine. Oh, btw, be sure to get espn approval before replying

Txbroadcaster
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Seriously? I love when an Ag posts some logic that a teasip can't refute, y'all whine about being off topic or some other bs. Start another thread and let's discuss your fight song, hex rally, and all of your so called traditions. So long to texas university and good riddance to the big twelve. A&M and our traditions will be fine. Oh, btw, be sure to get espn approval before replying

wow bitter

trojandad
09-02-2011, 06:18 PM

id be surprised to hear roughneck is a teasip...maybe he is, but hes not confronting your opinion.....

Roughneck93
09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Lol! You go ahead and start the thread, I'm really not that consumed by it. I'll be sure to post the same question to Texas fans though.

trojandad
09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
interview tonight with loftin on tamutimes....interviewer asked what would happen with the ut game, loftin said "well play them every year, anytime anywhere any place we can agree on".....a video quote.....

RoyceTTU
09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
we can agree on..

I can here both parties now. Well mines bigger, well mines longer

LH Panther Mom
09-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Typical teasip ignorance
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get a clue...it's Aggies like you that threaten to shut down ALL college talk! If there's NO other benefit to the DL for A&M leaving, it's this kind of BS!

I can't wait to leave.
Don't let the door hit you! :wave:

HSFB
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Troll somewhere else please

Wow…simple eagles_victory, such an insightful post. Thanks for that great contribution to this thred.

Bonfire and a verse of the fight song are traditions related to tu but it stops there.

Traditions such as the 12th man, Midnight Yell, Muster, Silver Taps, etc. have nothing to do with texas.

A&M & texas will continue to play their annual game so a bunch of the angst, by some, is for naught.

NastySlot
09-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Wow…simple eagles_victory, such an insightful post. Thanks for that great contribution to this thred.

Bonfire and a verse of the fight song are traditions related to tu but it stops there.

Traditions such as the 12th man, Midnight Yell, Muster, Silver Taps, etc. have nothing to do with texas.

A&M & texas will continue to play their annual game so a bunch of the angst, by some, is for naught.

saying Howdy is a good one.

eagles_victory
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM

A&M & texas will continue to play their annual game so a bunch of the angst, by some, is for naught. TU is trollish and annoying. So is Aggy and everything else it isn't creative it isnt funny it is just stupid and annoying. So yea you're a troll pick a screen name and stick with it.

Emerson1
09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
You just did the exact same thing he did. He made a logical point and you went into this rampage. Good one.

HSFB
09-03-2011, 03:51 PM
TU is trollish and annoying. So is Aggy and everything else it isn't creative it isnt funny it is just stupid and annoying. So yea you're a troll pick a screen name and stick with it.

ah, this could get a little fun. Classic reply by a simpleton who has BB big man syndrome who thinks he has some imagined BB leverage due to having over 8K posts?.....& what story does that really tell? Who knows, maybe it is to compensate for other "short-comings"?

Or maybe it is due to someone's life revolving around the square headed girlfriend? Maybe even a sign of someone who is living off the government cheese and spends most of his days hanging out in his skivvies while choking down little debbies n choco milk while contemplating his next BB pearl of wisdom….like maybe being creative with redundant “troll” nuggets…….just saying.

OldBison75
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I have never seen so many adults act so childish over something this insignificant in my life.
Texas A & M is a very tradition rich institution and yes, some of them are related to the rivalry with UT. However, many are the result of the military flavor of the university, the fraternity that is the university, remembering those students that have died, and other non-sports activities.

Likewise, there are many traditions that are part of college life at UT also. Some are related to football, but many are rooted in other origins.

Both schools have much to be proud of and it is the tradition of these institutions that make them so special to Texas high school graduates,regardless of sports. There is enough blame to go around on both sides of the conference issues, and there is enough misinformation to fuel the fire forever. Let's just make it simple:

TAMU chose to sever the ties to the Big 12 in a move they believe will bive them most benefit and exposure for the institution.

Texas has it's Longhorn network, that in the long run may or may not be a windfall of income for that institution.

The Big 12 is in trouble, but it can be salvaged with the proper care given to finding additional teams to fill the open spaces.

Texas and Oklahoma hold the key to the future of the conference. There cannot be a conference if both schools don't fully commit to the best interest of the conference. If one or both seek inclusion in another conference, the Big 12 dies, leaving the remaining schools in limbo.

There is nothing to be gained by throwing insults at each other over these issues. The decisions have been made by TAMU and nothing we say will change that. Whether we agree with the decision of TAMU or not, that is the great thing about this situation, they have a right to seek whatever they believe is best for them. Grow up and live with it.

eagles_victory
09-03-2011, 04:30 PM
ah, this could get a little fun. Classic reply by a simpleton who has BB big man syndrome who thinks he has some imagined BB leverage due to having over 8K posts?.....& what story does that really tell? Who knows, maybe it is to compensate for other "short-comings"?

Or maybe it is due to someone's life revolving around the square headed girlfriend? Maybe even a sign of someone who is living off the government cheese and spends most of his days hanging out in his skivvies while choking down little debbies n choco milk while contemplating his next BB pearl of wisdom….like maybe being creative with redundant “troll” nuggets…….just saying. lol I haven't had Little Debbies in forever and definitely partial to white milk. Not to mention I write articles for a HS football and College football website so that may be part of the reason I come on here a lot (Even though Im not even in the top 30 of most post). If someone less self righteous would like to translate the rest of that please help because most of that is foreign to me.

forum_guy
09-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Some people on here need to get a clue. Why is it wrong for A&M to want change and go somewhere else to a better conference where there is the same risk but higher reward? At the same time Texas is in talks to join the PAC-12 with OU to make it a PAC-16. So is Texas going to be frowned upon for leaving to go to a better conference if they go to the PAC-12? The argument makes no sense.

OldBison75
09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
It is NOT wrong for TAMU to seek another conference. They have that right, just like any other team has that right. What is wrong is that everyone has chosen to place the blame on one school, whether it is Texas fans saying TAMU is a traitor and has a "big brother is holding us back" attitude or Aggie fans placing the blame on the Longhorn network.

The Big 12 was destined to either fall or change to meet the future of college football and the BCS. TAMU made the choice to step out of the normal and seek another conference that would be more in line with what the future of College Football looks to be. By making that move, they have now forced the Texas and Oklahoma programs to look at other options along with changing the Big 12 to secure their future conference affiliation.

I think the SEC needed TAMU more than TAMU needed the SEC. BUT, TAMU will get institutional benefits from the new conference, even though they may not be nearly as competitive in that conference for a period of time. They chose to take that chance in hope that the future stability would benefit the university. All I can say is I wish them good luck and hope that a few years from now all parties can say that this was a change that did not hurt any of the schools affected.

vet93
09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I think that OldBison speaks wisely. One of the things that makes the "traditions" comparisons between the two universities pointless is because they have two wildly different cultures. The culture at A&M harkens back to the strong military influence from the corp of cadets and this theme of remembering traditions and the story behind the tradition is part of who A&M is. At Fishcamp the explanation behind the different traditions is made known. In the corp, freshman are made to know the history of the university and the origin of all of the traditions. While UT has their own distinctives, adherance and remebrance of tradition is not very high on their list. Therefore, what some may see as obsession is more a difference in how two universities remember and process traditions.

In regards to the rivalry. It has waxed and waned through the years and due to A&M's downturn and OU's excellence the past 10 years has not been as important as in the past. However, during the days when A&M was riding high the rivalry was far from one-sided and UT fans had just as much a desire, if not moreso, to beat A&M as OU. Many new Texas fans were not around during these times and because of a campus culture that is largely ambivalent toward the past...don't have a good context to how intense the rivalry used to be. It was always a different kind of rivalry than OU's. It was more like two brothers fighting than the OU rivalry which has a more interstate feel...the State of Texas against the State of Oklahoma (at one time it had the Big 8 vs. SWC feel). State pride is at stake against OU whereas bragging rights between two brothers is at stake regarding the UT/A&M game.

I believe that the rivalry should continue and could turn into something greater than seen before. A&M's move to the SEC should make the game even more intense and add a layer of rivalry similar to the old OU (big 8) rivalry where two teams who are from different conferences battle it out for state and conference pride.

In regards to the SEC move. It was an absolute necessity for A&M to carve out a different path in order to insure a strong future. In the current system Texas has many advantages that they have earned through the years. The longhorn network is another one of these advantages. Through their reputation they earned the ability to negotiate and broker the LHN deal. A&M could never negotiate that type of deal, so the LHN was seen as another way that Texas could gain advantages monetarily and recruitment wise. Kudos for Texas for making such a buld move. Any University (A&M included), if given the same chance would have done the same thing. Therefore, the SEC move was the only good play for A&M to try and change the status quo for the university and carve out a seperate and distinct niche for themselves. Can you really blame them for doing so?

Rabid Cougar
09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
No one cared about tthe traditional rivalries with Rice, TCU and SMU when they were kicked to the curb after the SWC went away.. the only people I hear complaining about it are tu fans. I don't want to hear about Baylor and Techsters complaining about the lost revenue of the big games coming into Lubbock and Waco.... those schools already kicked thier local economy in the nuts when they took BU/TTU to Jerry World. AND the rivalry with LSU is A&M's third oldest along with BU. Playing of those games, ATM/LSU, in the past were curtailed due to fan violence.

A&M vs tu 117 games 1894
A&M vs Baylor 107 games 1899
A&M vs TCU 92 games 1897
A&M vs Rice 79 games 1914
A&M vs SMU 77 games 1916
A&M vs TT 69 games 1927
A&M vs Arkansas 57 games 1913
A&M vs LSU 51 games 1899