PDA

View Full Version : An amusing cold war incident

Phil C
09-01-2011, 11:17 AM
In the late 50s while the cold war was still going on with the U.S.S.R. an amusing incident happened that amused New Yorkers then and still does today. I was told this by one of my friends in Albamy (Capitol of New York State) while visiting my younger son who goes to college there. He said that by invitation the U.S.S.R. was invited to send a delegation to New York State to visit the Capitol. After the delegation returned to the U.S.S.R. one of their reporters wrote an article in the main communist paper about their visit and fortunately somehow a reporter from New York got a hold of the article and had it interpreted. The New Yorkers were most amused by the comments of the article which read: "When we visited New York State they said that most of the working class in the USA owned at least one automobile. That was ridiculous enough but then in an effort to no doubt get us to divert our nuclear weapons away from New York City they took us to some small city about 120 miles from New York City called Albany and tried to tell us that it was the State Capitol which is ridiculous because everyone knows that the Capitol of New York is New York City."

:D

Phil C
09-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Another incident I remember reading about was about the small town of Moscow, Texas (see link below). This was at about 1965 while the cold war was still going strong. The citizens of Moscow, Texas didn't want to have the same name as the U.S.S.R. capital so they signed a petition and sent it to Moscow in the U.S.S.R. It requested that the U.S.S.R. change the name of its' capital (Moscow) to something else. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow%2C_Texas