PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield 23.....Rusk 20

zeke
08-30-2003, 12:45 AM
A great game to watch. Cody Glen is quite outstanding as previously reported. He ran over one of our 2 way starters(safety/WR) on the 1st play and sidelined him for the rest of the game. It took alot of gang tackling to stop him all night long. Several turnovers by Rusk was the difference in these 2 good teams. The Rusk QB was very talented in his run and passing skills. His only negative is he holds on to the ball a little extra time when passing..but he can thread the needle with his throws.
Good defense by Fairfield...holding Rusk out many times in the red zone. Rusk never let up and played tough the entire game. Both teams will get only better as the season rolls on.

ThaRealBulldog
08-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Cody Glenn wasnt good enough oviously they lost. Yall better watch out for the Carthage Bulldogs. The back due-o Jamon Edwards and Boo Beechum wrecked tonight over a good 4a team (Henderson).

zeke
08-30-2003, 02:23 AM
THAREALBULLDOG, I'm not sure if you can't figure out that I'm from Fairfield. I was recapping Rusk's strengths and weaknesses. If you realized i'm from Fairfield you undoubtably fail to realize that Carthage and Fairfield will never meet in the playoffs. With the 6th lowest enrollment in the district at 496 students we will play Division 2 in the playoffs. Your team with the largest enrollment in your district will have to go the route of Division I...so we'll never have a chance to play one another. Rusk is much improved over last year...are you?

zeke
08-30-2003, 11:46 AM
JUSTAFAN2, Where art thou. Give us a little of your Rusk football player spin on this one.

eaglefan
08-30-2003, 05:46 PM
zeke, i do have to agree that i am also very curious about where justafan is. he sure seemed really cocky and talked a big game to not hear from him again.

zeke
08-30-2003, 08:58 PM
EAGLEFAN, Looks like our Eagles took a big ole swipe out JUSTAFAN's tailfeathers last nite. This might be a good lesson for him in that smack don't mean jack. "Eatin humble pie" is a little embarrasing "when ya been smackin" ain't it JUSTAFAN.

eaglefan
08-30-2003, 10:27 PM
this is true, you have to be careful who you talk smack too because it will come up and bite ya when you're not looking. i will say this though, rusk is a good team and we were fortunate to get out of there with the victory by the skin of our teeth. but i will also say this....fairfield needed it, they needed a close win like that over a quality team early in the season because that is going to put a fire and a drive into that team that should spark off a very prosperous season.

zeke
08-30-2003, 11:38 PM
I was impressed with the job our new line did last nite. Although improvement can be made on run blocking, I thought our pass blocking was very good against Rusks defensive front and stunting LB's. We had a substantial number of drops and overthrows in the passing game, but we can correct that with more reps.
I'm with you, our guys showed that die hard "never say die mentality" that they had last year...last nite proved that. This team is something special to watch.

eaglefan
08-31-2003, 02:16 PM
I am in total agreement with you about the offensive line. They looked real good on pass protection, but run blocking in my opinion left a lot to be desired. Other than a couple of big runs they really did not display that power running game that Fairfield is known for year after year. Chance Elliott showed several flashes of brilliance throwing the ball, but you can definitely see the rust and that will go away after continual repititions in practice. Looking at the schedule I do not see Fairfield playing another quality opponent like Rusk until the 4th game of district when they host Mexia. Lorena, Ferris, Groesbeck, Teague, and Trinity all should be fairly easy tests for Fairfield and should make for an interesting matchup against Mexia with possibly 2 undefeated teams.

zeke
08-31-2003, 02:40 PM
Eaglefan, Couldn't agree with you more. Our guys need to keep up their intensity in practice every day if they are going to improve to the level we need to be come playoff time. We'll most likely face Bellville again in that 3rd round. This next time it would sure be great if we could move offensively down the field at-will.

eaglefan
08-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. That is almost 4 months away to be talking about Bellville again. Now I will agree that if things go as they should shape out, yes we will face them again in the 3rd round. But that is way too far down the road to look at this point, especially after our performance Friday. We played well, but have a long way to go. As long as we take care of things in district the rest will take care of itself.